Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014
I can just see the reactions when you drive up and other folks on the trail are just confused even further... :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Ha ha, that already happens.

I need to take this thing to the Gambler 500 next year.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Sienna Handbrake To Do

1) Design mounting plate for handbrakes. 12mm thick aluminum plate attached to the unibody with rivnuts. Some kind of mechanical lockout on the brake levers, like this. Also maybe some flourishes: I'm thinking of getting the mounting plate anodized blue, then running it through the cnc machine a second time to cut the SIENNA emblem out of the blue background. Or maybe anodize it beige to match the interior? What is the pantone code for Toyota's beige carpet?

I also need to think about some kind of center console / cupholder thing. The brakes will block the stock foldout cupholders, so I want to 3D print something that can hold cups, and maybe also a fire extinguisher and some ham radio gear. This is more of a future project, so for now I'm just including some threaded holes in the mounting plate and maybe running a duct for electrical wiring into the engine bay.

(Yes, it's an offroading minivan, of course it needs cup holders. I want a cupholder that can hold a quart of gatorade.)

2) Find a place to run the 4 bulkhead fittings through the firewall. Lead contender is directly forward, behind that lower dash compartment/vent below the radio. I'm hoping that I can avoid pulling the intake manifold to access the engine side of the firewall, but that might need to happen.

3) Making brake lines. Bending tubing and such. I think this is the easy part? It's a lot of drat brake line, though. I'm adding something like 20 ft of new line and not removing any old line.

4) Braided brake lines? I guess now would be the time to do it, since I have to bleed the system anyway. But other than that, there is no commonality with the main handbrake project, which doesn't touch the calipers. I'm not sure if pedal feel is something I care about in an offroad minivan.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This rules. Talk about an inspirational test-fit.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You are going to need to paint those things beige or buy more racer red stuff :sickos:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's loving awesome.

Can I suggest making the cupholders large enough to hold a 1L nalgene bottle? It drives me nuts that almost no cars will hold mine.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Omg it's better than I had ever hoped. Godspeed.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

ryanrs posted:

Hydraulic Handbrakes

Mounted on plywood to test fit.

Looks amazing.

Testing the ergonomics.

Thank you for the excellent idea!

This is so awesome I'm glad I could help.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

This. Is. Amazing!

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

OK! Today is the day I pull the battery (because of airbags), take apart the lower dash, and probably don't run the van again until the handbrake project is done.

But before I do that, I took a few pics of the bumper situation to email to my fabrication shop.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Someone make a Red Dress / Blue Dress meme with Bender Rodriguez caught between them

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

This job is like an unholy combo of rear bank spark plugs + heater core replacement. The hardest part is probably going to be getting to the drat firewall.

Where's the loving firewall, Lebowski?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZSRkuhPzuI

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Day 2: Screwdriver Remorse

Gonna push through it, though!

I might have pulled out more dash than was strictly necessary, but it has helped a lot in planning this out. If I can go through the firewall up high, then I won't need to gently caress around deep in the engine bay. But to get to the top of the dash, you have to pull out a ton of crap, even on a 20 year old car. I can't imagine what it's like on a new car.

I figure if I can get it put back together by the end of the week, I should be able to remember where most of the screws and wires go.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ryanrs posted:

I figure if I can get it put back together by the end of the week, I should be able to remember where most of the screws and wires go.
If it’s anything like my experiences, you’ll get it back together regardless of time.

But it’s always going to rattle now.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Krakkles posted:

If it’s anything like my experiences, you’ll get it back together regardless of time.

Also with a handful of extra hardware, and at least one instance of putting the long screw in a short screw place and having a short screw that doesn't reach somewhere else.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Krakkles posted:

But will I be able to hear it over the gravel in my skid plate?

And speaking of extra hardware, my 3D printed polycarbonate bulkhead-fittings-holder arrived today:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Krakkles posted:

Nahhhhh there's a fix for that. Amazon a couple rolls of felt tape. put a little bit on every plastic to plastic junction where the two different parts meet. Its what oems of luxoshitboxes do.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

The 2000 Sienna used little incandescent lights to light up the dash, gauge cluster, etc. About 1/3 are burned out on my van. Do I replace with OEM bulbs, or are there good LED conversion kits out there? I don't care about RGB colors, etc.

I should probably just keep using tungsten bulbs, even though they feel positively primitive in 2021.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I much prefer the look / brightness of LED, and there's a number of good brands out there. My go-to (on a meatpimp recommendation) for external lights is Sylvania ZEVO, but I'm not sure if they'll make whatever interior bulbs you need. Top reviewed items on amazon have usually served me well, too.

I'm also a fan of converting everything possible to red lights, to preserve night vision, but *shrug*

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I replaced every single bulb in my Crown Vic with Amazon/eBay LEDs, and the only one that gives me trouble is the on lighting up the "LIGHTS" nameplate for the headlight switch, the irony.
Going on 3, 4? years. I don't regret any of them. I'll replace the LIGHTS one eventually - I had to modify that one with longer leads, because its deep set into the housing. Currently it's just flickering a lot.
Just look up on Sylvania's site what bulbs your gauges, etc. use, and buy a bunch of white ones if you want the stock appearance, or colored ones if you want a different color (or eliminate the colored socks, if that's what yours already has.)
My Vic uses little 194s all over, so it's easy, but there's an LED version of everything, even the tiny little twist in T3 and T4 bulbs typically used in instrument clusters.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Absolutely upgrade to LEDs. Go with Sylvania over whitebox branded ones. I've had some that were hit or miss and the dimmer doesn't work quite as good.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Thanks for the LED advice. I'm not seeing Sylvania-brand 2721 LED replacement bulbs, only their tungsten bulbs. But there are loads of mystery Chinese sellers! Poking through the Amazon listings, it's clear that some designs contain bridge rectifiers while others say:

quote:

Easy to install, if the LED does not light up, simply Rotating it 180 degrees (reverse the polarity)."

Not so easy when you're replacing dash lights.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
They're in the little quarter turn sockets right? You'll probably have to half-assed hook it up to test, that does sound like a pain in the rear end.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Nah, I'll just by the ones with a built-in steering diodes. Kudos to the manufacturer for spending the extra $0.03 more so I don't have to take apart my dash twice.

What do I do with this sound insulation stuff? It's thick and heavy, like tar paper but it's not tar paper. It's some plastic or rubber sound deadening sheet.

Do I plunge cut it with a utility knife, or take apart more of the dash until I can peel it back from the edge (I don't even know if that's possible). I want to peek behind it because I can tell it's not flat against the sheet metal.

I may have to ditch the firewall bulkhead idea and pass the four brake lines through one big grommet. There just isn't a lot of free space to mount a line of bulkhead fittings.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

I replaced every single bulb in my Crown Vic with Amazon/eBay LEDs, and the only one that gives me trouble is the on lighting up the "LIGHTS" nameplate for the headlight switch, the irony.

Wait, that lights up?

I guess I have ONE bulb out on my dash...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Well that escalated quickly. Man I hate taking dashboards apart.

Bear in mind that the sheetmetal may not be a single layer and there's a high chance you're looking at the back face of the wiper linkage and hvac intake plenum area not the back of the firewall if you go through higher up. Check carefully before making holes, I'm sure you can avoid it easily enough... If you think to look at all. I don't think the previous owner of my truck did, the spot he ran his brake light switch wiring through is right where the wiper linkage swings.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

For those rubber mats it depends on how miserable it is to get out. If it looks easy I'll poke a small hole and center punch through it so I can cut a hole out of the car and have it line up with where I drill.

If it looks like a pain to remove or will get torn up in the attempt I'll cut a square out with a razor blade.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Some googling suggests it's made of butyl rubber. If so, then I can cut it up as much as I want and then glue it all back together with contact cement and more rubber, right?

My 37 degree flaring tool arrived yesterday, so maybe it's time to shove some brake lines in, wherever I can fit them.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Enough dilly-dallying, let's stick the utility knife in here:

There's some clearance in this area because of a big sheet metal fold/weld just above. This area was filled with foam.

This is what it looks like on the engine side.

Because of the limited clearance under the dash, I'm going to put the 90 degree bulkhead fitting elbow-side in, with the long straight section sticking into the engine bay. I'm pretty sure I have enough clearance that the intake manifold won't crush the brake lines, even if the front engine mount gives up.

kastein posted:

Bear in mind that the sheetmetal may not be a single layer

This is the case! But they're really close to each other, and flat. Before I install the plumbing, I'll thread some 3/8" bolts through the holes and crank them super tight, flattening it out even more.

ryanrs posted:

I'm not seeing Sylvania-brand 2721 LED replacement bulbs, only their tungsten bulbs.

OK, I found the Sylvania T-10 / 194 LED bulbs; they look good. But I'm not seeing any name-brand T-5 2721 bulbs for the warning lights: check engine, low gas, oil pressure, etc. I only see no-name Chinese LED lights for the small size bulbs.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Can I daisy-chain two of these together, directly?

I think the answer is yes, but the flare cones don't really look like precision surfaces. I can feel the circumferential machine marks with my fingernail. Is there really enough compliance in the steel fitting to create a seal just from cranking the nut down tightly? It kinda feels like there should be a crush washer or something in between.

I'm trying to get a tighter radius on the engine side than I can get from just bending tubing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You can but the more pressing issue is that with no soft metal in between, you aren't going to have much, if any clocking choice. When it stops turning that's where it lives.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

The collar rotates on the fitting.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
The taper appears to make that a JIC fitting.
I don't know about the quality of the particular fittings you got, but its *supposed* to seal via the taper, so you should be fine.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Oops, yeah I forgot to mention it's a JIC / AN fitting, 37 degree flare, plated steel.

Well this all sounds reasonable, thanks for everyone's feedback. Gonna start drilling some holes in my car tomorrow.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

ryanrs posted:

The collar rotates on the fitting.

Jesus. I don't know how I missed that, it's visible right in the picture.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Bulkhead fittings are in

The fitting ends aren't well aligned in the engine bay because the firewall is two sheets of steel with some black plastic/tar stuff in between. This area of the firewall isn't flat, and I couldn't really make it flat because of the gunk. Oh well.

One minor fuckup is the rivnuts wanted to expand between the two sheets of steel. I decided I didn't care rather than wait until Monday for another McMaster order. Those bolts are only to hold in the white plastic piece, which itself is just an assembly aid.

Brake line routing plans

On the interior, it's going to swoop down behind the A/C evaporator, behind the radio, and straight out along that clear strip of floor. I can't pull any of the A/C components without draining the refrigerant (even the blower!). But there's a gap behind the modules and I can see plenty of light. I'm thinking of wrapping the brake lines in plastic spiral loom to stop them from rattling against each other.

In the engine bay, they'll go through a 90 degree elbow, then along those other hoses to the ABS actuator near the brake master cylinder. I might not even need the elbow.

To Do

1) Finish designing the mounting plate. Waiting on a quick release pin that arrives tomorrow. I probably won't send it to manufacturing until sometime next week, then wait 2-4 weeks to get it made, depending on how much extra $$ I want to pay.
2) Make brake lines.
3) LED dash lights upgrade.
4) Install handbrakes, bleed system, check for leaks.
5) Reassemble dash/entire car.
6) Test drive?

I really want to start putting the dash back together sooner, but I don't think that's a great idea.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Did you pick up those tubing bending pliers? I got some really nice tight 90 and 180 bends with them. The trick is to walk em down the bend as you go, don't try to bend the whole thing at once. Make four 22 degree bends instead of one 90.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

StormDrain posted:

Make four 22 degree bends instead of one 90.

This guy didn't go to math school. :viggo:

Kidding aside this has been a weird and fun read.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 9, 2021

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

This guy didn't go to math school. :viggo:

Round to the nearest even. :colbert:

Yes I bought the pliers, but they're taking their time shipping it. It'll be a week or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ryanrs posted:

OK, I found the Sylvania T-10 / 194 LED bulbs; they look good. But I'm not seeing any name-brand T-5 2721 bulbs for the warning lights: check engine, low gas, oil pressure, etc. I only see no-name Chinese LED lights for the small size bulbs.

I know the check engine light in particular has the possibility to piss off the ECU if it's replaced with an LED.

On my 95 Civic, the CEL stayed dimly lit/flickering whenever the engine was running, but only when I had an LED in it.