Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Reaper actually just clicked for me once I gave it a superior ammo mag, the ability to equip a utility, and blue screen round. Turns out banish is preeeeety loving good when you unload 7 hits in a row. :rip:

If you toss a repeater on their weapon, each one of those 7 hits has a chance to trigger the instant kill proc. This works on Chosen and Alien Rulers, too. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah expanded mag + repeater Banish is basically a "gently caress this thing, it doesn't exist anymore" button

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

W.T. Fits posted:

If you toss a repeater on their weapon, each one of those 7 hits has a chance to trigger the instant kill proc. This works on Chosen and Alien Rulers, too. :getin:

This trick has stopped me ever having to fight the rulers properly. I remember running the odds years back and they were actually really good for an instant kill. Of course very little would actually survive all seven shots to need it, but by golly is it satisfying.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Reaper actually just clicked for me once I gave it a superior ammo mag, the ability to equip a utility, and blue screen round. Turns out banish is preeeeety loving good when you unload 7 hits in a row. :rip:

Also the assassin weapons are pretty fun but I’m worried I will end up losing them if I take them out often. I’ve had a good streak of missions so I know I’m due one colossal gently caress up. Then again I also have a third squad fully leveled up so I can afford some gently caress ups now. My next goal is to knock out these facilities with a lone trooper in what’s either going to be a suicide run or some metal gear solid poo poo.

Throw a superior repeater on there and you have a ton of chances to just instakill the enemy on top of the monstrous damage you do, meaning a good chance of just outright deleting two enemies instead of one.

E: beaten like an alien hit with a repeater proc.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Just saw Phoenix Point is 50% off. Any arguments for or against it?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
mostly against, it's kind of a crusty game even so long after its release. gollup started strong but didn't really close the deal on a polished experience that's fun to play. the main thing, being able to manually aim your soldiers, ends up being less a fun little extra and more something you have to consistently do to make the game go the way you need it to, and that ends up entailing a lot of waiting for enemies to hit the part of the animation loop you need in order to hit the body part you want.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 1, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Coolguye posted:

mostly against, it's kind of a crusty game even so long after its release. gollup started strong but didn't really close the deal on a polished experience that's fun to play. the main thing, being able to manually aim your soldiers, ends up being less a fun little extra and more something you have to consistently do to make the game go the way you need it to, and that ends up entailing a lot of waiting for enemies to hit the part of the animation loop you need in order to hit the body part you want.

I hear that complaint a lot, like, there's gotta be a way to mod that out. How about the rest of the game?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I found the "waiting for an animation loop" to be mostly bullshit, to be honest. If I was waiting for a specific animation i'm cheesing the gently caress out of a shot. It's main problem is that its a bit tedious and way too micro.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

2nd Chosen (Hunter) has been deleted. He maxed out his bar and was ready to attack the Avenger so I figured he was no longer worth the trouble. Appreciated the slightly different approach to his stronghold but it was still more of the same. Knowing how the actual fight plays out make the 2nd go at it much more bearable. I’ve also been just running a victory lap for no reason so everyone was decked out in endgame gear so everything melted immediately.

I realized I was ready to move on and finish this campaign when on a Advent VIP kidnap mission my sniper moved ahead and accidentally triggered a Sectopod pod and my reaction was just to fan fire at it and immediately kill it. I’m basically playing it fast and loose and able to deal with multiple pods in a single turn and haven’t lost anyone in a drat while, have 6 fully trained psi operatives, so yeah I think I’m ready to wrap things up and move up in difficulty .

The closest I’ve come to lose anyone was on what I felt was a hosed up game glitch where a pod triggered AND they attacked me in that same turn. They all beamed one of my snipers and managed to knock him out but I managed to revive and stabilize him.

The whole training center / ability points is wild. I’m sure I can read up some more on it and game it even more but for you to be able to literally give any soldier every single skill is crazy.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm not sure of how it goes on in coding, but when a pod's revealed, it gets two "scramble" actions. Usually, it'll spend these actions running to cover, but if you have a guy really out of position, they'll occasionally shoot at it. There's a Continent Bonus that cuts down the enemy pod scramble actions to 1, making unlucky shots way less likely.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ah, the anti beagle script

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

dogstile posted:

I found the "waiting for an animation loop" to be mostly bullshit, to be honest. If I was waiting for a specific animation i'm cheesing the gently caress out of a shot. It's main problem is that its a bit tedious and way too micro.

Honestly I kinda felt Phoenix point was the worst of both worlds- a lot of real julian-esque jank, like the system you describe, but also without the increased tactical possibility that comes with some of that. It still features a lot of the dictates of nu-com like tiny squads(even tinier if you use vehicles) and just the limited possibility space in general.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

skaianDestiny posted:

if you need more xcom and were into the 1993 original then it's fine. in addition to the precise aiming - which can lead to neat scenarios like shooting through a wall - the use of time units (roughly grouped into 4 actions) rather than a two-action system does allow for useful granularity that I sometimes miss when playing xcom. but the design goals of "basically 1993 xcom combat again" and "rpg-lite soldier progression," I fear, just can't mesh cleanly. "pre-activated" enemies, ie. no pod system, requires in my estimation either A. bone-crushing tedium that makes overwatch creeping look thrilling or B. ablative rookie armor. soldier progression makes the latter not feasible, but if you can handle the former then it's worth a playthrough.

also they've done a decent job at some balance passes, but last I played a couple months back, there's still tons of poo poo that's wildly unbalanced due to the cross-classing system. like Quick Aim, which flat reduces the action cost of firing a weapon by 1 action, ie. 1/4 of a unit's TUs - meaning that a unit with it and a 1-action weapon can literally fire it for free as long as it has enough will, because the action economy in a turn-based game is basically a suggestion. or Rapid Clearance, which gives the unit +2 actions on kill, combined with Mind Crush, which deals a flat 100 damage (your average bullet does 30) to all enemies nearby. combined with the fact that kills restore will points, this turns the action economy into a farce

also the game's explanations of its systems are really, really poor

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

skaianDestiny posted:

What the thread say, but also, watch a few Let's Play to decide for yourself. I did, and didn't like what I saw one bit, but YMMV of course.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

XCOM2+WOTC is being released on Android on Jul 13th. The IOS port has already been released for some time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Done! WOTC is indeed pretty loving good and I loved just about everything it added to the game.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Congrats. I've never done an ironman run, all my attempts have been stalled by bugs and that put me off. Commander bronzeman is my usual speed.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Grats on the win! There’s a reason its called a victory lap at the end - I usually don’t finish my campaigns after I kill 1-2 chosen because missions become less interesting without them and the final result is obvious. The early
game of xcom 2 is so drat good though - the first chosen mission and retaliation trying desperately to hold it together

Unless you get one of the retaliations where the resistance shoots back and then it feels very “why did you guys call me if you can do this yourselves?”

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I've just started playing Chimera Squad and have finished the Sacred Coil section after a handful earlier, unsuccessful attempts on their last mission. Shortly after that my team have become gods of murder and I've just stormed into a supermarket and killed everyone there by smashing them into a fine paste, setting them on fire, electrocution and having them kill their buddies through mind powers. Are...we the baddies?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

no. gray pheonix is the only even remotely sympathetic enemy in Chimera Squad - and even they are willing to recklessly murder thousands of 'others' in pursuit of their goals. Sacred Coil is more than happy to liquidate anyone who's not part of their psychopathic cult and the Progeny are a straight up supremacist faction.

they deserve to die.

they ALL deserve to die.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 4, 2021

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

In other news, Firaxis is hiring again:

https://twitter.com/FXS_MisterKevin/status/1411337223287590914

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Done! WOTC is indeed pretty loving good and I loved just about everything it added to the game.

Nice work! Of all the things I've done with XCOM2 I don't think I've finished an Ironman run. No regrets, I did savescum my way through Legend at least.

edit: oh my word, I've beaten the game on Ironman, but not Legend. I got it backward. Welp, guess I am reinstalling.

5er fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 4, 2021

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

u brexit ukip it posted:

I've just started playing Chimera Squad and have finished the Sacred Coil section after a handful earlier, unsuccessful attempts on their last mission. Shortly after that my team have become gods of murder and I've just stormed into a supermarket and killed everyone there by smashing them into a fine paste, setting them on fire, electrocution and having them kill their buddies through mind powers. Are...we the baddies?

My first (so far only) time playing Chimera Squad, I gave my cops all kinds of less-lethal weapons and sent Torque for special training because she had killed too many suspects. Almost completed the whole thing, then the city got nuked and the campaign failed because the less-lethal weapons weren't enough to stop some alien from hitting a detonator. Maybe not a good moral.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Grey Phoenix are the only really sympathetic ones, for example if you do their campaign late enough when the battleship they hijack is in danger of crashing into a populated area their leader personally sacrifices themself to stop that from happening, and even then they cause a lot of innocents harm and do military-grade weapons trafficking.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

skaianDestiny posted:

Grey Phoenix are the only really sympathetic ones, for example if you do their campaign late enough when the battleship they hijack is in danger of crashing into a populated area their leader personally sacrifices themself to stop that from happening, and even then they cause a lot of innocents harm and do military-grade weapons trafficking.

Even if you do Grey Phoenix early, their reaction to losing is simply "stand down. It's over. We lost. We're stuck here." All they want is to return to space and simply leave, but of course humanity isn't quite willing to trust them with spaceships, for understandable reasons.

Chamale posted:

My first (so far only) time playing Chimera Squad, I gave my cops all kinds of less-lethal weapons and sent Torque for special training because she had killed too many suspects. Almost completed the whole thing, then the city got nuked and the campaign failed because the less-lethal weapons weren't enough to stop some alien from hitting a detonator. Maybe not a good moral.

To be fair, the whole point of Chimera Squad getting called in is because the situation has escalated past a point where the police are no longer able to handle a situation. By definition, if Chimera Squad is getting called in, Lethal Force is justified, if not outright called for. Only reason to NOT go lethal is to get intel from them.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jul 4, 2021

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

And it's always when Elder tech or material is involved.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
On the one hand, Chimera Squad represents a dream of intersectionality, where sentient beings of different races and backgrounds, some of whom even fought for the Elders, can work together in harmony. But on the other, you’re still a largely unaccountable law enforcement force who can kill even if non-lethal force is an option, and if you gently caress up and kill a civilian and people in that district get mad, you put them under lockdown to chill them out.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Chimera Squad is explicitly accountable to 31PD and also the city council in the context of the game (the latter is the reason why you can’t bring your whole squad in). They’re very accountable, it’s just that the effects of that are largely abstracted away from the player because dealing with intractable bureaucrats sounds about as fun as nailing your toes to the floor.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

It's a police death squad of quipy sociopaths but it's okay to enjoy fun video games imo

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Coolguye posted:

Chimera Squad is explicitly accountable to 31PD and also the city council in the context of the game (the latter is the reason why you can’t bring your whole squad in). They’re very accountable, it’s just that the effects of that are largely abstracted away from the player because dealing with intractable bureaucrats sounds about as fun as nailing your toes to the floor.

Yeah it's this, the strict oversight is why the game is instantly over if you fail an objective. The second City Council sees an excuse to get rid of Chimera Squad, they cut you lose and cancel the project. Jane and Maloof might be able to smooth over collateral damage as long as the job is done and more lives are saved, but not if you cant do that either.

Some story stuff (my only run was during my LP where I had to drink for every missed shot and anyone I killed instead of arrested, so my memory might be foggy) :frogdunce:

Atlas' whole plan to take out the mayor was to try to get Chimera Squad cut loose before they could get started, since the City 31/XCOM collaboration was her idea. They funded the other three factions knowing 31PD couldnt handle that kind of firepower, but XCOM could easily, so Chimera Squad throws a huge wrench into his plan to have Shrike replace 31PD, and then do a coup and do hella fascism. Fortunately Maloof owns and is also more than happy to have backup, so CS was allowed to proceed albeit on thin ice. Having a bunch of faceless shrike goons beat your problems down is cheaper and easier than community policing with a surgical special forces team, so gently caress it why not right Perata, you dumbass

Also I like that in the end cutscene, Reclamation actually got a nice building with like, a door that closes :unsmith:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Danaru posted:

Also I like that in the end cutscene, Reclamation actually got a nice building with like, a door that closes :unsmith:

Yeah, to be fair, the whole reason you're in the shithole that you're in all game is because Chimera Squad's real HQ building is still under construction.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Best Friends posted:

It's a police death squad of quipy sociopaths but it's okay to enjoy fun video games imo

Yeah, this is it.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Yeah seriously anyone contorting themselves to be like “Chinaera Sauad are good guys” just enjoy the game it’s super fun.

No paramilitary police department should employ a lady who likes to use robots to electrocute people. No should they be employing a dude who takes joy in sticking grenades to suspects and then intentionally delays the explosion to cause the suspect to panic before inevitably exploding.

Oh him? Yeah don’t worry about him he just literally lights suspects’ souls on fire with his godlike mind powers. It’s ok though because it helps him feel better. At least he isn’t controlling them like puppets before eviscerating their entire consciousness… no no reason.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
We employ a dude that can make himself so angry he completely loses control of himself. Pretty sure he fought on the side of the Elders during the war. These somehow aren’t issues.

Chimera Squad is capital-P Problematic, but I love 80s action movies, I’m not gonna judge if people play it and like it in spite of its politics (it’s me, I played it and liked it).

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

can we please not turn this into a d&d thread

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The story of the reformed Advent berserker was really good, I loved the way he talked about wanting to help with whatever came after the war. Does your playstyle have an impact on what scenes you see?

I'll also say that Chimera Squad ran much smoother than XCOM 2 for me, and breaching looks absolutely amazing. Although I miss the randomly-generated unique characters, especially once you unlock the Advanced Warfare Centre and they get random abilities from other classes. Does WOTC do something similar?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Chamale posted:

I'll also say that Chimera Squad ran much smoother than XCOM 2 for me, and breaching looks absolutely amazing. Although I miss the randomly-generated unique characters, especially once you unlock the Advanced Warfare Centre and they get random abilities from other classes. Does WOTC do something similar?

WOTC gets even nuttier with it. Your troops now earn AP, which can be used to purchase skills. It seems like it’s random on a per-soldier basis what skills outside your class you can buy, but you can also purchase within your soldier’s class tree as well. Can’t decide if you want a Specialist with combat or medical protocol? gently caress it, spend your AP to get both! Kit your sharpshooter to be a gunslinger AND sniper! gently caress the elders!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Also, the new hero classes have a unique skill progression that's entirely purchased with AP, and they natively get a shitload of AP instead of free skill picks. They get random skills from baseline classes, too! It's pretty rad, you can really tinker around with them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X-Ray Pecs posted:

WOTC gets even nuttier with it. Your troops now earn AP, which can be used to purchase skills. It seems like it’s random on a per-soldier basis what skills outside your class you can buy, but you can also purchase within your soldier’s class tree as well. Can’t decide if you want a Specialist with combat or medical protocol? gently caress it, spend your AP to get both! Kit your sharpshooter to be a gunslinger AND sniper! gently caress the elders!

Yeah that was pretty eye opening once I finally built the training center. Wish AP was a bit easier to come by but you ended with some really powerful soldiers regardless.

The whole will/tired system kinda sucked, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Angry Diplomat posted:

Also, the new hero classes have a unique skill progression that's entirely purchased with AP, and they natively get a shitload of AP instead of free skill picks. They get random skills from baseline classes, too! It's pretty rad, you can really tinker around with them.

'John Wick' in my current run is hilarious for this. He got designated a 'specialist', which is more of a healer/hacker guy... not really in the actual Wick's lane. But, courtesy of the 'bonus' talents, he's also wound up with 'Death from Above' and 'Run n' Gun', and with the later-rank perks for reaction fire / free overwatch that pretty much make specialists unexpected killing machines, it turns out Wick is as thematically accurate as you could ask.

edit: some meaningless 'lp' stuff to this thread to trim out.

5er fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 8, 2021