Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The ADR of Kurt Russel saying "Who?" when he gets out of the truck in the alley after running down Lo Pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFX
Nov 23, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

A dumb thing about The Tomorrow War is that they make a big deal about how they only bring people into the future who are already dead in said future. However a future character later states that there are only 500k people left alive in the future. So it doesn't seem like it is that difficult to find recruits.

This movie is some of the worst time travel writing of the last several years. I'm not even that good at this stuff and there's so many logical problems. I loving hate this.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

I think that some things just fail at being movies. Mortal Kombat, A Wrinkle in Time, etc. But someone always tries to make another and it is always so, so bad.

Mortal Kombat '95 rules, though. :colbert:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Perestroika posted:

Mortal Kombat '95 rules, though. :colbert:

I watch that movie a few times a year. I saw it as a double feature with Street Fighter at an Alamo draft house a while back and it was awesome. Street fighter still sucked but it was cool to see Raul Julia ham it up on the big screen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

They also don't explain anything, they just recap the surface levels. If you are going to claim to explain media, put the effort in to say something less obvious. Don't just say "X murders Y and then that triggers Z to happen", discuss why the writers may have made those choices, what are they trying to get across? At least channels like "Cinema Therapy" SAY SOMETHING about the media they talk about.

I'm still pretty sure those 'explainer' videos are for dumb people who don't actually pay attention to movies while it's on.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm still pretty sure those 'explainer' videos are for dumb people who don't actually pay attention to movies while it's on.

I saw Arrival with someone who not only didn't get it (okay, I understand, it's not super conventional with the "flashbacks" and the way it treats time) but also thought it was an M Night Shyamalan movie because there was a trailor for Split before it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I quite like videos about movies I have never watched and have no intention of ever watching.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I keep seeing those ENDING EXPLAINED videos over the most basic understandable movie endings. Imagining someone watching The Usual Suspects and being absolutely confounded by the ending.

Wait what Kevin Spacey could WALK PROPERLY this entire film?! Why did the policeman look so SHOCKED?!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Rick and Morty episodes explained also.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I thankfully only had to suffer through one Hotel Transylvania (cute premise in the start) but goddamn it is a sign when most of the voice actors jump ship at the last one coming out? The trailer is all over online, and it's hilarious when it pretty much gives away 90% of the movie. Of course there's always the inner critic in my niece watching the trailer and laughing: No, idiot Johnny, your father-in-law doesn't hate you because you're human, he hates you because you are a freeloading idiot dumbass who keeps causing stupid problems!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I also watched Tomorrow War, and was reminded of something mentioned in another thread: It's a solid thirty years into the future, the enemy is repeatedly mentioned and shown to be very nearly immune to normal bullets, and yet everyone is still using regular-rear end current-day assault rifles that have been gussied up a little with slightly fancier furniture. Even if they didn't have time to invent fancy railguns or something, it's not like we don't have bigger guns even right now that they could use instead.

Now that's mostly a nitpick, but then I thought about Edge of Tomorrow and it's kind of emblematic of a larger issue. In Edge of Tomorrow they had the whole thing with the exoskeletons, and it worked not only to look cool, but it was also a neat bit of implicit worldbuilding. It was a clear sign that this is a whole world on a war footing, where they've thrown in everything they've got to fight a global threat as effectively and efficiently as possible. Which in turns works to make the crushing defeat in the opening all the more impactful, and establishes the aliens as the threat they are.

But in Tomorrow War, all we see of the future are a bunch of idiots who, when faced with an overwhelming threat, somehow managed to invent time travel and exactly nothing else. The aliens are scary on an individual level, sure, but it never really sells that the aliens are a proper global threat all that well, because it seems like humanity barely tried to fight back beyond their one hail-mary.

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 14:52 on Jul 4, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It doesn't help that Chris Pratt gets to go off to special people future war instead of what they were doing with every other person they were sending to the future. So it is unclear what exactly they were doing with those people that was killing them so fast.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
In Terminator 2 did Arnold really have to cut off and de-glove his entire loving arm to make his point to Miles Dyson? I know it was a "let's make this look really cool and bad rear end" moment and they wanted to match up the arm with the one in the lab but, hell, he could have went with a pinky toe or ring finger there for efficiency's sake and then cut more if Dyson thought it was a parlor trick and remain unconvinced. I figure a few toes or fingers would suffice. An entire foot or a hand tops.

Seemed like overkill and, beyond that, took more time and made a huge mess I would think.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Yeah Arnold just cutting the skin of a hand should've been enough but I personally like the symmetry as Miles realizes he's seen that firearm before.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Android Apocalypse posted:

Yeah Arnold just cutting the skin of a hand should've been enough but I personally like the symmetry as Miles realizes he's seen that firearm before.

Accurate typo.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

BiggerBoat posted:

In Terminator 2 did Arnold really have to cut off and de-glove his entire loving arm to make his point to Miles Dyson? I know it was a "let's make this look really cool and bad rear end" moment and they wanted to match up the arm with the one in the lab but, hell, he could have went with a pinky toe or ring finger there for efficiency's sake and then cut more if Dyson thought it was a parlor trick and remain unconvinced. I figure a few toes or fingers would suffice. An entire foot or a hand tops.

Seemed like overkill and, beyond that, took more time and made a huge mess I would think.

Arnold cutting out a little swatch of skin proves that he's a robot. Arnold cutting off all the skin on his forearm proves that he's the robot.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I keep seeing those ENDING EXPLAINED videos over the most basic understandable movie endings. Imagining someone watching The Usual Suspects and being absolutely confounded by the ending.

Wait what Kevin Spacey could WALK PROPERLY this entire film?! Why did the policeman look so SHOCKED?!

On an episode of the Important if True podcast, one of the hosts tells how one of his friends was incredibly moved by the ending of The Usual Suspects because he thought that by telling his story to the police, a weight was lifted and he was able to walk again.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

somepartsareme posted:

On an episode of the Important if True podcast, one of the hosts tells how one of his friends was incredibly moved by the ending of The Usual Suspects because he thought that by telling his story to the police, a weight was lifted and he was able to walk again.

That's adorable. I don't know if I could bring myself to disillusion that friend.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

somepartsareme posted:

And that friend grew up to be Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the United States of America

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Someone i know watched The others (Nicole Kidman light horror,2001)

Plot twist : turns out she was a ghost and she killed her kids and she was sort of in ghost limbo and was reliving moments

For some reason a friend of ours was confused because she thought Nicole Kidman and the children were vampires and that’s why they never left the house.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Someone i know watched The others (Nicole Kidman light horror,2001)

Plot twist : turns out she was a ghost and she killed her kids and she was sort of in ghost limbo and was reliving moments

For some reason a friend of ours was confused because she thought Nicole Kidman and the children were vampires and that’s why they never left the house.

Discworld had a good take on this: since there's so many ghosts in the Lancre Castle, one of the witches simply takes a brick/stone from the castle and leaves with it. The ghosts can come with her because they're bound to the castle, and she just stole a piece of it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That's just the Stone Tape theory first put forth in the classic 70s TV movie The Stone Tape where some tech company researchers discover that hauntings are caused by energies recorded into the very stone of old buildings something akin to recordings on tape.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
The Tomorrow War: in the end, they don't need the toxin since all the aliens are incapacitated and sitting in the same ship. They just need to blow up the ship, why are they going inside. Edit: holy poo poo they just blew up the ship after waking up all the aliens :v:

Edit2: also...their plan was to walk next to the aliens and inject them with handheld syringes? If they are incapacitated and close enough for you to do that and you can kill them with a shotgun to their weakspot...what do you need the toxin for?

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 21:48 on Jul 4, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That Italian Guy posted:

The Tomorrow War: in the end, they don't need the toxin since all the aliens are incapacitated and sitting in the same ship. They just need to blow up the ship, why are they going inside. Edit: holy poo poo they just blew up the ship after waking up all the aliens :v:

Edit2: also...their plan was to walk next to the aliens and inject them with handheld syringes? If they are incapacitated and close enough for you to do that and you can kill them with a shotgun to their weakspot...what do you need the toxin for?

Also humanity has known about the future war for an entire year and nobody else thought to investigate where the aliens first landed?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That Italian Guy posted:

A loud noise might wake up the other ones?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Tomorrow War was very bad. :( They don't make movies out of coherent scripts anymore.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Biplane posted:

Tomorrow War was very bad. :( They don't make movies out of coherent scripts anymore.

Even if they do, they get massacred in the cutting room.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Cowslips Warren posted:

I thankfully only had to suffer through one Hotel Transylvania (cute premise in the start) but goddamn it is a sign when most of the voice actors jump ship at the last one coming out? The trailer is all over online, and it's hilarious when it pretty much gives away 90% of the movie. Of course there's always the inner critic in my niece watching the trailer and laughing: No, idiot Johnny, your father-in-law doesn't hate you because you're human, he hates you because you are a freeloading idiot dumbass who keeps causing stupid problems!
I hate that franchise so dang much. The first one was beautifully animated, deathly-bland fluff.

The second one is awful. Dracula is disgusted that his half-human grandkid might not have vampire powers, so he puts a hapless 5-year old in mortal danger to prove he, Vlad Dracula, couldn't have a defective grandchild in the family. In the end, he succeeds, the kid is the vampire he expected, and so he graciously decides to love this child. I HATE it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's a metaphor for Genndy Tartakovsky's experiences in the animation industry

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FreudianSlippers posted:

That's just the Stone Tape theory first put forth in the classic 70s TV movie The Stone Tape where some tech company researchers discover that hauntings are caused by energies recorded into the very stone of old buildings something akin to recordings on tape.

Stone tape loving rules. I watched when I was reading about the stoned ape theory and it was an alternate suggestion.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Someone mentioned how the gun tech in Tomorrow War didn't seem very futuristic, but then, look at the differences between the firearms given to regular troops these days vs the ones given in the 90s.

I mean, since then we've created some incredible tech but I'm pretty sure the basic infantry guns still work pretty much the same (do correct me if I'm wrong)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In most cases the ones given out today are the ones given out in the 90's. The end of the cold war collapsed military R&D spending and procuring new equipment is an extremely long bureaucratic process which is in no small part determined by "what do the old farts in charge of the army think people need" and weirdly, they often do not have a very good grasp on what is needed and also are generally reluctant to pay for new things when they can just keep using the old thing.

What normally happens is they slap a bunch of extra crap on an old vehicle and call it modernized, or make revisions to an old firearm and call it a new model.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Morpheus posted:

Someone mentioned how the gun tech in Tomorrow War didn't seem very futuristic, but then, look at the differences between the firearms given to regular troops these days vs the ones given in the 90s.

I mean, since then we've created some incredible tech but I'm pretty sure the basic infantry guns still work pretty much the same (do correct me if I'm wrong)

Basically the only difference is more troops are shooting with rifles that have optics, either red dots or prism sights, rather than using iron sights. Better flashlights now too.

I believe that the military is in the process of selecting a replacement for the M4/M16 series, which will also be chambered in a brand new caliber. I believe that all the candidates for this new rifle are piston driven, rather than direct impingement like the M4/M16, so they should run cleaner. https://asc.army.mil/web/portfolio-item/fws-cs-2/

Armacham has a new favorite as of 04:06 on Jul 5, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The other issue is that they tried a bunch of weird and wacky firearms ideas in the latter half of the 20th century and it gave you poo poo like "what if we put a kilo of CCTV camera on the gun" and "what if we used weird ammo that doesn't work half the time and costs a fortune"

A lot of the more exotic changes run up against the issue that there is a huge industrial base that makes normal guns with normal bullets and anything that is particularly new will have to be waay better in order to overcome the logistical advantage of the existing industrial base which will always be able to supply normal guns with normal bullets. And the normal bulletgun technology is kind of perfected at this point, the only room for changes is to materials and what sort of bullets you want depending on where you're fighting.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I've been watching all the Fast and Furious movies in order and I really hate useless subtitles. Like when it just says [Speaking Spanish]. It popped up when Gal Gadot said "Via con Dios". You know what she said, subtitle writer, you can just write that. Later, a guy said "Gracias" and it showed it again. C'mon, subtitles.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sometimes you'll see subtitles that will mention the name of the song currently playing. Who is that for?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

muscles like this! posted:

Sometimes you'll see subtitles that will mention the name of the song currently playing. Who is that for?

People who've heard the music but can't hear it now for whatever reason. Subtitles aren't just for people who are 100% deaf.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Song names are 1000% more helpful than telling me that the guy who said Hola is speaking Spanish.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
“Hey, I bet there a song here. Oh look, it’s ‘Ancient Lamentation Music.’ Thanks, subtitle writer!”