Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I am a virtual stranger to the world of employment but I will say that you should listen to what your feelings are trying to tell you, mate. I don't know about specific strategies but life really is too short to be miserable all the time, and the longer you leave misery to bake in the longer it takes to scrape back off. So to speak.

Good luck and my sympathies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't particularly like my job while I am doing it but it is straightforward enough and when I am not at work I am not at work, which is something I value. Also as long as I get stuff done they don't really pay much attention to me.

If your job is interfering with your ability to be happy because it is either intruding on/preventing you from having off hours or because doing it is so unpleasant that you spend your off hours worrying about it then that does sound like a job that isn't good for you, but given that I found the experience of jobseeking to be one of the most unpleasant things I've had to do, I can't exactly say "so quit" because only you can know whether or not that would be better or worse for you.

I don't know, the idea of job satisfaction is a bit alien to me because I have never worked somewhere where that was even remotely a possibility, we all know we do grunt work but the measure of quality is more about how knackered you get and whether they treat you passably re: hours and stuff.

Certainly the idea of being in a position of seniority over other people sounds like a level of hell or something so I can't imagine how anyone can do that willingly.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

I sort of thought this thing would be my dream job but it's just...... not.

You don't have to give specifics, but it would help to consider what you thought you would enjoy about it and whether it's that the job doesn't give you those things, or that it does but it's turned out to not be what you want from a job.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Love to trail my new blockbuster policy on the day England play their quarter final match, not even getting it above the fold on guardian.co.uk for more that 6 hours.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

I once had a job that I hated in electronic sales. I ended up drawing a grid of squares every morning with the number of hours left til the end of one year (which I told myself I had to stick it out for - every morning, a brand new grid, colour in a square an hour). The job was absolutely NOT what I was told it would be. Then I got to the point of having to argue with myself every morning not to throw a sicky. I would wake up at night crying with distress. I quit long before the end of the year and with nothing to go to.
That said, back then, temping jobs were quite easy to get so I got a 'wolves from the door' job within a couple of days and ended up there 10 years (being made permanent, getting training & qualifying as a surveyor along the way - NOT a building surveyor one of the other sorts).

Write down all the things that are distressing you about the job, and anything you can think of that you enjoy about the job.
Things to consider: (not to answer here!)

Do you have enough money to last 6 months without a job (albeit living on lentils for 6 months)?

Do you have dependents?

Are you looking to do something in the near future that requires you to be in employment (eg rent a flat? remortgage?) - if so, don't quit til you've sorted those out.

You say that the firm thinks you're doing ok. So in all likelihood you are probably satisfying the technical aspects of the role more than adequately.

Do you need more training on something that your not getting (and maybe need to ask for - employers are often oblivious to the needs of staff who may be struggling and 'getting by' because they're working fk knows how many hours of unpaid overtime finding stuff out)?

Does your employer know how much extra time you're putting in?

If you really don't know what you might want to do instead, I highly recommend "What color is your parachute' books - they're released new every year but if you can get one that's a bit out of date cheap, it'll do just as well with all the various exercises in it.

(NB I just saw a review of that book that comments on 'christian rhetoric' - I have to say I never noticed it. But you can ignore that if it really is there - maybe it's in a newer edition than the last one I used - and do the exercises.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 4, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Sorry in advance for the vent/whine. I'm really struggling with my now not new job, been there for 4 months now. I sort of thought this thing would be my dream job but it's just...... not. I feel stressed out and drained all the time even over the weekends, a bunch of aspects of the job are super outside my comfort zone and in such a way that isn't going to get easier as I know myself reasonably well at this stage of my life. It's at the point where I'd be relieved if they fired me but I don't think they are going to do that, they seem to think I'm doing fine (also being fired would probably make getting another job much harder so probably best not to wish for that). Part of the issue is I'm supposed to be recruiting people for my team right now and I'm finding it pretty hard to try and sell the position because if I'm not happy, how the hell can I try and entice someone else into it?

What's really pushed this into the forefront of my mind is this Friday just gone me and a bunch of friends took the day off, met up (I think we were pretty safe so I don't feel guilty about that) for the first time since Feb 2020, met someone who was a friend of a friend who joined our gaming group on discord for the first time, had some beers in a park and then went for a burger and some more drinks and it was just.... fantastic but what I noticed is they're all really happy and satisfied with their jobs. Like for them, the day off was just another day that was obviously more fun, but it wasn't an oasis in a desert of misery.

As a result I've basically just spent the entirety of yesterday and most of this morning so far trying to find something much chiller and then going back and forth over whether it's loving stupid to be thinking about leaving this job so soon. The thing is I've felt this way about the last few jobs I've had, I thought they were a great opportunity and then they've turned out to not be what I want at all, beginning to think it's the type of job in general and I'd feel more happy doing something else but taking the time to work out what I actually want to do is a bit of a risk. A part of me honestly wouldn't mind just battening down the hatches, using my savings from this job so far for a few months and just going for walks/exploring a bit most days. Felt so cooped up the last year and a half.

Somewhat relevant to this current discussion and probably also contributing to my negative feelings, in a few weeks they're going to start asking people to come into the office 3 days a week, which is in my contract but in the interviews they were pretty clear about it being "when people feel comfortable" but now it seems like it's "when the bosses are bored enough of working from home" situation. I sort of felt up for it back then, mostly because I was desperate for a job I suppose but now that I've worked from home for a few months I don't really feel I'm going to get much benefit out of spending an extra couple hundred a month, that's with the new flexible season tickets even and a few hours of my day, 3 days a week just to be in the office and get some of this fabled "collaboration and that cool spark you get from all being in the same room", maybe I just don't have much faith that it'll do much good for me.

Not sure what I'm expecting in response to this, just needed to put it down somewhere and this thread has good eggs who hand out decent advice I find. Most of my friends have said "life's too short to be unhappy but it's easier to find a job while you have a job" which is generally true but does feel like I'm locking myself in for the long haul since people would probably ask why I'm looking elsewhere so soon.

I’ve been in this situation a few times and know how rough it can be to ‘get there’ then realise ‘there’ is poo poo and not at all what you hoped for. I won’t ramble on but fwiw I do think it’s better to take what you can from that job and in the meantime make plans to explore other avenues. Nothing scares me more than finding myself five years later in the same role still not enjoying it and feeling a lot more pressure than I’m comfortable with. Feel free to pm me if you want to talk more about it or anything

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Jakabite posted:

I’ve got to admit I’m curious as to what pig snacks are. Possibly pork scratchings but if not I’m going to need to try them

pig snack spotters guide 2021

-"Real" pork scratchings/crackling made directly from pork skin/fat, either manna from heaven or soggy lardskin with bits of pig hair in it (27% chance of cracking a tooth per pack)

-Pork scratching style product made from homogenised pig fat based product that have a taste/texture vaguely similar yet different to the above and an appearance a little like hosed up prawn crackers

-Frazzles, which are good but clearly inferior to;

-Bacon fries, which should be accompanied on a 1:1 packet to packet ratio with scampi fries up until the salt intake kills you

I now have a vegan alternative of salted lentil crispbake things for the second one, I'm very partial to them

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 4, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I once had a job that I hated in electronic sales. I ended up drawing a grid of squares every morning with the number of hours left til the end of one year (which I told myself I had to stick it out for - every morning, a brand new grid, colour in a square an hour). The job was absolutely NOT what I was told it would be. Then I got to the point of having to argue with myself every morning not to throw a sicky. I would wake up at night crying with distress. I quit long before the end of the year and with nothing to go to.
That said, back then, temping jobs were quite easy to get so I got a 'wolves from the door' job within a couple of days and ended up there 10 years (being made permanent, getting training & qualifying as a surveyor along the way - NOT a building surveyor one of the other sorts).

Write down all the things that are distressing you about the job, and anything you can think of that you enjoy about the job.
Things to consider: (not to answer here!)

Do you have enough money to last 6 months without a job (albeit living on lentils for 6 months)?

Do you have dependents?

Are you looking to do something in the near future that requires you to be in employment (eg rent a flat? remortgage?) - if so, don't quit til you've sorted those out.

You say that the firm thinks you're doing ok. So in all likelihood you are probably satisfying the technical aspects of the role more than adequately.

Do you need more training on something that your not getting (and maybe need to ask for - employers are often oblivious to the needs of staff who may be struggling and 'getting by' because they're working fk knows how many hours of unpaid overtime finding stuff out)?

Does your employer know how much extra time you're putting in?

If you really don't know what you might want to do instead, I highly recommend "What color is your parachute' books - they're released new every year but if you can get one that's a bit out of date cheap, it'll do just as well with all the various exercises in it.

(NB I just saw a review of that book that comments on 'christian rhetoric' - I have to say I never noticed it. But you can ignore that if it really is there - maybe it's in a newer edition than the last one I used - and do the exercises.)

This is a very good post.

Can I also recommend you look up imposter syndrome and read up on that too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The secret to good scratchings IMO is how much MSG they put in :v:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

OwlFancier posted:

The secret to good scratchings IMO is how much MSG they put in :v:

That's lies cause the best is homemade and I don't add any msg to that

I'm gonna next time

I do add about sixteen tons of coarse salt to dry it out first however

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

EvilHawk posted:

Just to be clear: Women's football exists, and there is a GB team in the Tokyo Olympics.

Out of interest, is this GB team UK-wide or does it mean "literally GB" as in not including NI?

If it does include NI, would "UK team" be a better name for it than "GB team"?

(I grew up in a nation-state ama)

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jul/04/john-lewis-plans-to-build-10000-rental-homes-on-its-land-waitrose

quote:

John Lewis is considering plans to build 10,000 homes over the next decade as the high street store group looks to revive its flagging fortunes by becoming a landlord.

Modern Britain.txt

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

jaete posted:

Out of interest, is this GB team UK-wide or does it mean "literally GB" as in not including NI?

If it does include NI, would "UK team" be a better name for it than "GB team"?

(I grew up in a nation-state ama)

NI is included, the full team title is 'Great Britain and Northern Ireland', but just shortened to GB.
And people from NI can join either GB or Ireland.
I worked with a long distance runner who got into two Commonwealth games for GB.
He couldn't be any more non-British, total irish republican, but selected GB as there was more funding and chances to do more running.
He swapped to Ireland a few times though.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

happyhippy posted:

NI is included, the full team title is 'Great Britain and Northern Ireland', but just shortened to GB.
And people from NI can join either GB or Ireland.
I worked with a long distance runner who got into two Commonwealth games for GB.
He couldn't be any more non-British, total irish republican, but selected GB as there was more funding and chances to do more running.
He swapped to Ireland a few times though.
I doubt that, there is no GB team for the Commonwealths.

At this point I don't even have the energy to be mad coz gently caress, at least they are talking about building houses when nae other oval office is.

I should be mad, this is not the solution but who the gently caress else is proposing building the quantities of housing necessary? Nobody because that would destroy the housing bubble that gives people of a certain vintage the illusion of wealth.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

forkboy84 posted:

Then I am misremembering it, worked with him in late 90s when he took part in the Commonwealth games.
I remember him being worried about donning GB for some races instead of Ire due to where he lived in Belfast, in case he was targeted or attacked.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

forkboy84 posted:

At this point I don't even have the energy to be mad coz gently caress, at least they are talking about building houses when nae other oval office is.

I should be mad, this is not the solution but who the gently caress else is proposing building the quantities of housing necessary? Nobody because that would destroy the housing bubble that gives people of a certain vintage the illusion of wealth.

I'm sceptical of the housing crisis narrative. Is there really a significant lack of housing in this country or is it just that housing prices and thus rental costs the sacred cow that must never be slaughtered?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

jiggerypokery posted:

I'm sceptical of the housing crisis narrative. Is there really a significant lack of housing in this country or is it just that housing prices and thus rental costs the sacred cow that must never be slaughtered?

There's an interesting article here:

https://www.centreforcities.org/housing/

TL:DR is that there isn't a national crisis but localized crises notably in cities.

IMHO there is a lack of suitable accommodation for single-person households for people who are just too darn old (over 30 say) to live in a house of multiple occupation - who the heck aged 30+ wants to be arguing about who left hair in the bath, who doesn't scrub the bog after a dump, whose turn to clean the bath, who failed to wash their dishes for a month, getting money off people to pay the communal leccie bill, people who leave the heating/hot-water on all day/night safe in the knowledge that the rest of the flatmates will be picking up a proportion of the bill for their wasteful habits, who is stealing the milk etc etc.

Single-person households constitute quite a big chunk in the UK (approx 8 million households 2020 figs )
source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/961002/households-in-the-united-kingdom-uk-by-type/

and none of the political parties aims any part of their agenda at single-person households, it's all 'families families families'.

It also makes the 'old people should downsize' rhetoric somewhat redundant as there are not the homes available for many to downsize to even if they wanted to.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 4, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

who the heck aged 30+ wants to be arguing about who left hair in the bath, who doesn't scrub the bog after a dump, whose turn to clean the bath, who failed to wash their dishes for a month
There's a boomer marriage joke in there somewhere.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Single-person households constitute quite a big chunk in the UK (approx 8 million households 2020 figs )
source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/961002/households-in-the-united-kingdom-uk-by-type/

and none of the political parties aims any part of their agenda at single-person households, it's all 'families families families'.
They're building loads of new houses around here and they're all detached and designed for couples/families (and priced against 'those' couples/families), essentially ringing the village with identikit suburb.

I've said a number of times that what they need is medium density tenements near public transport, but nobody wants to build that because it's not where the money is.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

They're building loads of new houses around here and they're all detached and designed for couples/families (and priced against 'those' couples/families), essentially ringing the village with identikit suburb.

Half of Kent right now.

e: Well, some small terraces of 3 to 5 properties mixed in here and there.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

jiggerypokery posted:

Anecdote time.

2 years ago we bought our house, it needed significant renovation and was probably at the lower end of the valuation scale and in a fairly 'rough' area. Now I'm in Poole on the south coast so property prices are insane here all the time but we got this place for 240k. No issues getting a mortgate for 220k with a 20k deposit.

We're looking at getting an extension done so we were going to remortgage to finance this. We had the house valued last week and please remember that this is 2 years on from when we bought it at 240k, and while we've done quite a lot of work its mostly things like windows/boiler and every room in the house still needs finishing and redecorating.

Its been valued at 330k. If we had nice carpets and everything was lovely it could go for 360k. Its gone up 90k in 2 years through basically doing nothing.

Our mortgage adviser said not a single bank would lend us 300k for the usual 10% deposit mortgages based on our income (Which has improved considerably in those 2 years since my wife is now a fully trained accountant). We're now in a position that we could not afford the house we could get 2 years ago if we had to buy it again today.

This is insane. If 2 'professionals' can't afford houses now on joint incomes how is anyone even slightly worse off going to get anything?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

See I am probably going to be living with housemates well into my loving 40's tbh.

I cannot afford to live on my own, the industry I am in is currently shrinking fast because of covid buggering the tourist trade, there is no forward progression at work and nowhere else is hiring and I've had to deal with a manager crying today because we are running out of staff and so much of the back office people don't seem to realise or care.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Anecdote time.

2 years ago we bought our house, it needed significant renovation and was probably at the lower end of the valuation scale and in a fairly 'rough' area. Now I'm in Poole on the south coast so property prices are insane here all the time but we got this place for 240k. No issues getting a mortgate for 220k with a 20k deposit.

We're looking at getting an extension done so we were going to remortgage to finance this. We had the house valued last week and please remember that this is 2 years on from when we bought it at 240k, and while we've done quite a lot of work its mostly things like windows/boiler and every room in the house still needs finishing and redecorating.

Its been valued at 330k. If we had nice carpets and everything was lovely it could go for 360k. Its gone up 90k in 2 years through basically doing nothing.

Our mortgage adviser said not a single bank would lend us 300k for the usual 10% deposit mortgages based on our income (Which has improved considerably in those 2 years since my wife is now a fully trained accountant). We're now in a position that we could not afford the house we could get 2 years ago if we had to buy it again today.

This is insane. If 2 'professionals' can't afford houses now on joint incomes how is anyone even slightly worse off going to get anything?

I couldn't afford my own house either now. You don't pay capital gains on your own house but I'm sure an awful lot of things could be made right if capital gains was bought up to match income tax on buy to let. Its like the only asset 100% guaranteed to beat inflation because its propped up to infinity

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

There's a boomer marriage joke in there somewhere.

I've said a number of times that what they need is medium density tenements near public transport, but nobody wants to build that because it's not where the money is.

Inside cities, you're also up against people trying to turn every property possible into an airbnb, so half the places up for sale that might be suitable for a single professional (or even couples some of the time) are aimed directly at that market. All that seems to get built are student accomodation because that is where the investment opportunities apparently are.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
@crispix

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

See, I've heard this one before, though mostly from Boomers - but who, in this world, not a Boomer or homeowner, has this ability while still having to pay 2021 levels of rent?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Inside cities, you're also up against people trying to turn every property possible into an airbnb, so half the places up for sale that might be suitable for a single professional (or even couples some of the time) are aimed directly at that market. All that seems to get built are student accomodation because that is where the investment opportunities apparently are.

It's the same in a lot of rural areas, particularly in coastal or otherwise touristy areas. My village is fast approaching 50% second homes, and any property that comes onto the market is snapped up instantly and up on airbnb six weeks later. Wages are low, so locals have no chance of competing with the amount of money outsiders can throw at houses. It's already eroding the local tax base, and there's a worry that in a few years the place will be packed to bursting during the summer, and a ghost town for the rest of the year.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Speaking of identikit houses, here's a random new development on the ever-expanding outskirts of my Dutch city. Whatever you think of the style (bricks bricks bricks!!), I like that it's been consciously designed with a variety of shapes and sizes. Still crazy money though, 400-600K looks like.

Re Airbnb, that one really burns my biscuits.

Airbnb: "Hey we're setting up illegal hotels, but it's ok because apps and sharing economy"

Most authorities: "Well, they've got us there"

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
My in laws are thinking of buying a second home near us so they can
a) visit whenever they like
b) rent it out as an airbnb when they're not there

Boomers eh? Oh well it'll be a nice inheritance for when I retire at 75 with a negligible pension

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Manchester is having a ton of one and two bedroom apartments built in the centre, but cramped studios are usually well over £500pcm and the new builds are all "luxury" apartments with gardens, gyms, a manned reception etc, where every bedroom carries a £1k pcm starting price. I have no idea who the gently caress they're for, but the entire purpose is essentially to suck every single penny you own from your bank account before it can even hit the businesses on your doorstep.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Marmaduke! posted:

My in laws are thinking of buying a second home near us so they can
a) visit whenever they like
b) rent it out as an airbnb when they're not there

Boomers eh? Oh well it'll be a nice inheritance for when I retire at 75 with a negligible pension

The fact that this is a sane financial decision is the exact problem

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

feedmegin posted:

See, I've heard this one before, though mostly from Boomers - but who, in this world, not a Boomer or homeowner, has this ability while still having to pay 2021 levels of rent?

Yeah it would be really difficult for most people. I think for me I could maybe survive for six months on £8-10k including rent and bills but it'd be tough going. And only because of couple's advantage - it'd be impossible if I lived alone or in a non-permanent flatshare. It's a feasible amount to save if you're earning ok though.

stev fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 4, 2021

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

jiggerypokery posted:

The fact that this is a sane financial decision is the exact problem

And even if the airbnb thing just doesn't work and it just sits empty 90% of the time they'll still have another property gaining more value than any potential savings account ever would

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Student accommodation offers theoretically the best possible ROI if you're building dense. You can, with only minimal care, cram 2 or more units into the space of a single studio apartment, you don't need to provide a kitchen for each unit which saves you a shitload on plumbing, utilities, and fire protection, sound insulation standards are (even) lower then housing, and can charge a rent that's often not too far away from a single-bed. Also if it all goes tits up the cost to convert to a hotel or office space is absolutely minimal.

Note that the actual population of students willing and able to pay these rents is actually pretty small and often these places go at best half-occupied, and yet they still keep going up because the spreadsheets say they're profitable and so the developers can still throw them up and sell them on as investment opportunities. It also goes without saying that these places are also by far the most expensive to maintain both because of the density and also because of course they've been put up as cheaply as possible, but of course maintenance budget is set by the ROI of the owners and the population of them often have no idea of even the rather lower level of rights they have as tenants.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

but who, in this world, not a Boomer or homeowner
A Homer or a Boomhauer.

Neither of which would be able to afford their houses in the 20s, so instead we get apples and onions collecting rent for racist falafels.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jiggerypokery posted:

There is an element of that, sure. You can look up on Rightmove & see that you can get a 3 bedroom house in Bishop Auckland for £40k. So maybe there is enough housing for everyone in theory, but a lot of that housing that's actually affordable is in places that haven't had jobs since Thatcher killed industry in the UK. Building more houses (to be accurate, Building more affordable houses, because most of the new builds around here are 4 bedroom suburban and exurban monsters which cost a lot for an area that's not overflowing with high paid work the last I checked) in areas where people want to live for work purposes is not the only way to pop the property bubble but it is the most politically viable option, even accounting for NIMBYs.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

forkboy84 posted:

There is an element of that, sure. You can look up on Rightmove & see that you can get a 3 bedroom house in Bishop Auckland for £40k. So maybe there is enough housing for everyone in theory, but a lot of that housing that's actually affordable is in places that haven't had jobs since Thatcher killed industry in the UK. Building more houses (to be accurate, Building more affordable houses, because most of the new builds around here are 4 bedroom suburban and exurban monsters which cost a lot for an area that's not overflowing with high paid work the last I checked) in areas where people want to live for work purposes is not the only way to pop the property bubble but it is the most politically viable option, even accounting for NIMBYs.

This is why I desperately hope the working from home culture lasts after the pandemic's over. If we can get people living in places because they actually want to live there rather than because it's close to the hellcube they work in it would potentially solve so many problems.

stev fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 4, 2021

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Student accommodation offers theoretically the best possible ROI if you're building dense. You can, with only minimal care, cram 2 or more units into the space of a single studio apartment, you don't need to provide a kitchen for each unit which saves you a shitload on plumbing, utilities, and fire protection, sound insulation standards are (even) lower then housing, and can charge a rent that's often not too far away from a single-bed. Also if it all goes tits up the cost to convert to a hotel or office space is absolutely minimal.

Note that the actual population of students willing and able to pay these rents is actually pretty small and often these places go at best half-occupied, and yet they still keep going up because the spreadsheets say they're profitable and so the developers can still throw them up and sell them on as investment opportunities. It also goes without saying that these places are also by far the most expensive to maintain both because of the density and also because of course they've been put up as cheaply as possible, but of course maintenance budget is set by the ROI of the owners and the population of them often have no idea of even the rather lower level of rights they have as tenants.

At some point pre-covid I remember an article saying that sovereign wealth funds were where a lot of the money behind the UK boom in these was coming from. And if it attracts international investment, yeah for sure sounds like something would that the UK housing market would be all about :smith:

In a bunch of places they seem to get used as short-term holidays lets for tourists when it's not term time as well to make even more money. Landlords all the way down.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

stev posted:

This is why I desperately hope the working from home culture lasts after the pandemic's over. If we can get people living in places because they actually want to live there rather than because it's close to the hellcube they work in it would potentially solve so many problems.

Lol if you don't think the hellcubes won't be converted into housing even shittier than what we already have.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol if you don't think the hellcubes won't be converted into housing even shittier than what we already have.

They will be but far fewer people will be forced to live in them if they have options elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

feedmegin posted:

Yes I agree!

However, as a swift google indicates it is taking typically 5 months to get a job, it's a question that anyone thinking of quitting work needs to ask themselves because if you quit your job you won't be seeing any DWP assistance at all.

Somehow, you have to figure how to get through 6 months without a regular income - crashing with relatives or friends (though they probably won't be friends too long if you can't afford to pay your way), in another era maybe get a live-in job as a room attendant in a remote hotel, become a novitiate in a monastery, pick up a copy of The Lady (or look online) and see what live-in jobs might be available - don't mock, my brother and his partner got a 'couples' job that way which is how he ended up in France, just a flook, his partner was totally fked off with her job, bought The Lady on a lunch break, saw the ad for a 'couple' (essentially a groundsperson/handyperson and 'business admin' couple with good French) and several skype interviews later, bob's your uncle. Depending what your background is could you tutor?

One of the most empowering exercises I ever did when I hated one job and was considering quitting was a friend came over with a big roll of 'lining paper' and some fat felt pens and we spent 10 hours brain-storming every thing I could do to earn money that was (a) legal and (b) required no more than 6 weeks training. That was around 25 years ago so things that were available then aren't now and vice versa.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 4, 2021