Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Mikey Purp posted:

Man wtf why are replacement probe needles for the bltouch $15 each?!

https://www.partsbuilt.com/replacement-pin-bltouch-2-pack/
$5 shipping. I ordered two packs of two a while ago and naturally haven't needed a new pin since :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

SEKCobra posted:

Is there a free software that would let me run fluid simulations on my CAD models? I'm fine exporting a 3D Model and rigging it up in some other software, but I can't afford Simulation in Fusion 360.

What kind of fluid simulations are you looking to do?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I think there is some FEA software people use in college that'll do it, too, but I can't remember the name of it.

Matlab?

EDIT: Okay, you'll have to dig through the documentation to set it up, but https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/72640-cfdtool-matlab-cfd-simulation-gui-toolbox?s_tid=srchtitle

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I think there is some FEA software people use in college that'll do it, too, but I can't remember the name of it.

Matlab?

EDIT: Okay, you'll have to dig through the documentation to set it up, but https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/72640-cfdtool-matlab-cfd-simulation-gui-toolbox?s_tid=srchtitle

MATLAB is very very not free though.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Kalman posted:

MATLAB is very very not free though.

Get home licenses for significantly cheaper than the other licenses?

https://www.mathworks.com/store/link/products/home/ML

If you can't dump $149 for Matlab and another $45 for Simulink, you probably aren't going to like very many of the other options out there either.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
if you wanna do fluid/fea stuff on cad models, i would focus on getting cheap student-type access to solidworks and making peace with having to spend *something* if you’re not taking a course in this stuff; beyond that, all i can think of is illegal stuff we don’t condone or promote here. check out the cad/cam thread, there’s a lot of discussion about how to legally get SW access for a song.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

SEKCobra posted:

Is there a free software that would let me run fluid simulations on my CAD models? I'm fine exporting a 3D Model and rigging it up in some other software, but I can't afford Simulation in Fusion 360.

https://www.simscale.com/

I've done airduct modelling with this, and it's free to a point. Beyond that, it wasn't obscene.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Mikey Purp posted:

Man wtf why are replacement probe needles for the bltouch $15 each?!

I'm looking forward to having my cost of doing stuff driven so low that 15 bucks seems like a big deal. I'm used to getting like a single vehicle for that price :)

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I mean, it's not the magnitude of the price tag that annoys me, it's what I'm getting for that price. It's literally a 1.5 inch piece of plastic.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Mikey Purp posted:

I mean, it's not the magnitude of the price tag that annoys me, it's what I'm getting for that price. It's literally a 1.5 inch piece of plastic.

Aliexpress has a five-pack for 3$. I buy a lot of stuff there because everything costs 10-20% of amazon price and it is the same stuff anyway (most of the time).

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah wasn't trying to take a dig at you, more of a reflection of how accustomed I am (we are?) to paying $stupid for hunks of plastic :capitalism:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

ImplicitAssembler posted:

What kind of fluid simulations are you looking to do?

I made an automatic siphon and got it working experimentally, but I would really like to get a way to iterate on this sort of thing digitally

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Has anyone tried using denatured alcohol to clean resin prints? I tried doing some searching, and the results are pretty much 50/50 "It works great" and "the bitterants hosed up my print"

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Mikey Purp posted:

With a little magnet in it!

But really, they're expensive because regular rear end capitalism. Lower the price of the device and charge way above cost for the consumables.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I have some long prints I want to do, so I finally got around to cracking open my Ender 3 v2 to check the wiring. This is the bad thing that can eventually start fires, right? It looks like these are "tinned" to me but I'm posting a picture just to make sure.

As for how to fix it, I know I can just cut off the soldered bit and reinsert the stranded wire end, but I often have trouble inserting stranded wires into things, so I am thinking ferrules are the way to go. Can I just buy any old ferrule crimping kit and be good to go?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Yes, there are stupendously cheap kits on Amazon with crimpers. Get the kind with the round end and 4 jaws. Strip the wire the length of the metal tube, crimp only the metal tube in one shot, be amazed how well it works.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Hi goons,

I poked around a bit but didn't find a better thread... I'm looking for some help designing/printing a bracket for a KVM box I just purchased. Can anyone advise the best way to go about this? SA Mart maybe?

I don't have a printer or any CAD skills so I'm looking ideally for help there if I provide specs

Thanks!

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Gyshall posted:

I don't have a printer or any CAD skills so I'm looking ideally for help there if I provide specs
Maybe it exists already. Or you find something similar to the thing you want.
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=bracket+kvm&type=things&sort=relevant

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Gyshall posted:

Hi goons,

I poked around a bit but didn't find a better thread... I'm looking for some help designing/printing a bracket for a KVM box I just purchased. Can anyone advise the best way to go about this? SA Mart maybe?

Thanks!

Might be worth looking at this thread? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3931600

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Winged Orpheus posted:

Has anyone tried using denatured alcohol to clean resin prints? I tried doing some searching, and the results are pretty much 50/50 "It works great" and "the bitterants hosed up my print"

I've seen a lot of people say it works fine, and not seen anyone say that it ruined their life. Probably works fine.

DISCLAIMER: I have not tried myself.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

SEKCobra posted:

I made an automatic siphon and got it working experimentally, but I would really like to get a way to iterate on this sort of thing digitally

Ok, VFX fluid simulators like those in Blender and Houdini most likely wouldn't be adequate. You could probably make them work, but they wouldn't be accurate.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ambrose Burnside posted:

if you wanna do fluid/fea stuff on cad models, i would focus on getting cheap student-type access to solidworks and making peace with having to spend *something* if you’re not taking a course in this stuff; beyond that, all i can think of is illegal stuff we don’t condone or promote here. check out the cad/cam thread, there’s a lot of discussion about how to legally get SW access for a song.

Yeah, the EAA version of SOLIDWORKS is Premium, which ought to include some freebie stimulation Xpress products. I've only done the FEA one for teaching purposes, so I don't know what the fluids and plastics situation is there.

It's $40/year, which rules pretty hard.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

NewFatMike posted:

Yeah, the EAA version of SOLIDWORKS is Premium, which ought to include some freebie stimulation Xpress products. I've only done the FEA one for teaching purposes, so I don't know what the fluids and plastics situation is there.

I would be fine with that, I kinda wanna get away from F360 anyway. Where do I sign up.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membership/eaa-member-benefits/solidworks-resource-center

Hit the ? Icon in the upper right hand corner and check out the tutorials - they're surprisingly good for pack in stuff. And they have topics on like everything.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Ender 3 bed trip report, after having used each of these setups for about 1-2 months. Printing ABS with 90-100°C bed temp.

- Stock bed: There's not a clear delineator between bed and object printed. Could never get the plastic to completely separate, or a bed I was sure was clean. The bed became a mix of whatever it's made of, and plastic. Eventually the surface started peeling off with my prints.

- Several different flex steel beds, with coating: Seemed great at first. Develop (cosmetic?) bubbles. When the ender 3 under-bed (inevitably at these temps??) begins to sag in the middle, it sags with it, making "leveling" impossible; prints no longer would stick due to inability for nozzle to touch center of bed. I've heard you can workaround this by putting tape etc on the middle of the under-bed.

- Official glass bed: Seems great! Holds its own shape, so stays flat even with the bent under-bed. Leaves a dot pattern on the bottom surface.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

snail posted:

https://www.simscale.com/

I've done airduct modelling with this, and it's free to a point. Beyond that, it wasn't obscene.

I remember seeing a video on this by everyone’s favourite YouTuber, Teaching Tech.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

What's the deal with that guy? I've heard vague rumblings about controversy surrounding him. He just seems aggressively bored about everything he talks about, but I haven't really watched too many of his videos.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

What's the deal with that guy? I've heard vague rumblings about controversy surrounding him. He just seems aggressively bored about everything he talks about, but I haven't really watched too many of his videos.

I can’t remember the exact gist of the objections in this thread, perhaps a lack of thoroughness/substance? I’ll let others give their thoughts on that.

YouTuber Design, Prototype, Test called him out a couple of years back maybe for copying his work, IIRC.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Just saw Bigtreetech has a new control board and Nero 3DP gave an overview of it on his youtube channel

• 7 stepper outputs with one that has 2 headers, pluggable drivers
  • Separate fused power inputs for bed, main board, and steppers with screws for crimped connectors
  • 5 temperature inputs
  • 4 hotend power outputs
  • 6 controlled fans each selectable with 5V, 12V, or 24V output and 2 always-on fans
  • 8 endstops plus one dedicated to inductive probes
  • USB-C connector, esp8266 wifi slot, micro sd card slot, power supply trigger output, CAN bus, EXT1/EXT2 LCD connector

I saw this and thought BTT is getting into the high-end market finally, huh? I'd guess this is around $150. Nope, $45. I stared over at my $160 Smoothieboard and made a frowny face, but what a time to be alive!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Speaking of new boards, the folks behind the Vulcan Resin kickstarter just announced the following:

quote:

If we hit $100,000 we're committing $10,000 to the development and production of a new mainboard board that will be open sourced for everyone, raising the standard for resin 3d printing.

Can someone explain how this would benefit the resin printing community? I don't understand why this is something that's needed.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

InternetJunky posted:

Speaking of new boards, the folks behind the Vulcan Resin kickstarter just announced the following:

Can someone explain how this would benefit the resin printing community? I don't understand why this is something that's needed.

Because Chitu systems revealed that they are a greedy rear end in a top hat company with all their new motherboards suddenly supporting only the new encrypted file format from Chitubox. Oh and Chitubox Pro costs $170 a year.

I got the 5k screen for my E10 and I literally can’t use it because there’s no Mac version of the new Chitubox yet. :fuckoff:

E: hmm. Apparently the Mac version may be out now - I’ll have to try it. But it still pisses me off that I’ll have to export poo poo to Chitubox in order print. There’s literally no reason to enforce this other than greed. I hope someone makes community firmware that cuts all that poo poo out.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 4, 2021

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

There appears to be some drama surrounding chitu maybe doing some good old fashioned vendor lock-in. I haven't looked too closely at it, but Uncle Jessy just did a video on it that seemed mostly like speculation.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Oh, well I guess an open standard makes sense then. It seems strange that existing resin printer manufacturers wouldn't be the one's stopping this bullshit though.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Winged Orpheus posted:

I swear by “fireplace fuel”, which is mostly ethanol but with isopropyl alcohol added instead of methanol/bitterants/etc. It’s very cheap to buy by the gallon, there’s no pandemic-linked increased demand for it so it’s easy to source, and it’s guaranteed to only contain things that are good for cleaning resin. I bought a bottle and have never looked back, it actually cleans better than pure isopropyl on top of everything else.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I swear by “fireplace fuel”, which is mostly ethanol but with isopropyl alcohol added instead of methanol/bitterants/etc. It’s very cheap to buy by the gallon, there’s no pandemic-linked increased demand for it so it’s easy to source, and it’s guaranteed to only contain things that are good for cleaning resin. I bought a bottle and have never looked back, it actually cleans better than pure isopropyl on top of everything else.

linky link? i'm only seeing this as a gel.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

NewFatMike posted:

I’m sure somebody told me this previously and it glanced off my brain, but I just realized that spending $40 on membership gets you a CSWP exam credit for free, which in and of itself costs $99 to purchase on its own. and that’s on top of the legit SW license. goddamn that’s stellar value.

Deviant posted:

linky link? i'm only seeing this as a gel.

this is the specific product i bought, i’m seeing v similar things on american amazon. just buy something you can source an MDS sheet for so you can verify that it only has ethyl + isopropyl alcohols
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/e-nrg-bioethanol-fireplace-fuel-3-785-l-0644001p.html

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 4, 2021

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Ambrose Burnside posted:

this is the specific product i bought, i’m seeing v similar things on american amazon. just buy something you can source an MDS sheet for so you can verify that it only has ethyl + isopropyl alcohols
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/e-nrg-bioethanol-fireplace-fuel-3-785-l-0644001p.html
I need to try this, but it's more than 3x the cost of the 70% IPA I use to clean my prints. I've been looking for a replacement because it's harder to find the 70% lately, but I go through a gallon a week.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
an interesting nuclear option solvent i’ve seen some people swear by for the really persistent / hard-to-clean resins like Siraya Blu is acetone, it apparently cleans everything spotless without scrubbing and you can “process” the saturated acetone with a UV light to recycle and reuse it indefinitely, just like alcohol.
of course, acetone is much nastier to come into contact with- iirc it carries any poo poo on your body through your skin and into your blood, just like DMSO; plus it’s vapor pressure is 6x that of ethanol + it seems to wick out of apparently- well-sealed containers very easily, which makes it a much bigger fume/VOC source than alcohol. i haven’t tried it myself and don’t see any need to, but i’d consider using it on a one-off basis if i had a really challenging part that needed to be spotless, like a hollow print you can’t reasonably get at with brushes or alcohol injected into the cavity or whatever. also seems viable as a primary wash solvent if you have rigorous fume extraction + appropriate PPE and are working in a proper shop setting.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

InternetJunky posted:

Oh, well I guess an open standard makes sense then. It seems strange that existing resin printer manufacturers wouldn't be the one's stopping this bullshit though.

I have a feeling that Chitu systems has a virtual lock on the market. I’ve never seen any other brand of mobo, although I’m sure Prusa’s is probably not a Chitu brand. (But it also costs $2000 :psyduck:) there probably aren’t any commercially viable alternatives. But I’m just guessing, because yeah you would think at least one of them would tell Chitu to piss off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Do those special boards even do anything a raspberry pi with a stepper hat couldn't? At it's heart, isn't it just one stepper motor and a screen with an SD card and maybe a wifi card? You're not doing kinematics so I imagine an RTOS isn't really necessary. But I'm definitely not a hardware guy.