Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I gotta know why this is happening. I've save scummed this because I was sure I'd accidentally kill myself but I still don't understand why:

That last wand has a single arrow with trigger spell on touch of blood. If cast without a trigger it will literally instantly kill you as it casts on yourself so I figured this was the safest way to test it.

almost every time I try this the arrow shoots out and touch of blood is cast on me and I instantly die. I don't understand why since it's a non shuffle wand with 1 spell per cast.

What's strange is sometimes when I try this it works as expected, the arrow shoots out and then casts touch of blood where it lands. But most of the time it just instantly kills me and I'm losing my mind trying to figure out how to get this to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I gotta know why this is happening. I've save scummed this because I was sure I'd accidentally kill myself but I still don't understand why:

That last wand has a single arrow with trigger spell on touch of blood. If cast without a trigger it will literally instantly kill you as it casts on yourself so I figured this was the safest way to test it.

almost every time I try this the arrow shoots out and touch of blood is cast on me and I instantly die. I don't understand why since it's a non shuffle wand with 1 spell per cast.

What's strange is sometimes when I try this it works as expected, the arrow shoots out and then casts touch of blood where it lands. But most of the time it just instantly kills me and I'm losing my mind trying to figure out how to get this to work

Do you have the Projectile Duplication perk, which breaks triggers by casting your payload spell directly from your wand?

e: when you've got your inventory open you can mouseover your list of perks and even if the list is too long to fit on one page it will expand and show the names, or with inventory closed you can use the tooltip [...] but it only shows the icons and doesn't indicate if you've got multiple copies of a perk

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 3, 2021

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

*adds another perk to the "taking this will literally kill you" list*

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

silentsnack posted:

Do you have the Projectile Duplication perk, which breaks triggers by casting your payload spell directly from your wand?

e: when you've got your inventory open you can mouseover your list of perks and even if the list is too long to fit on one page it will expand and show the names, or with inventory closed you can use the tooltip [...] but it only shows the icons and doesn't indicate if you've got multiple copies of a perk

Yeah that's exactly it. I've got perk duplication. Man that's annoying. So it'll just break all projectile triggers then?

Another quick question. Do I need exactly 5 orbs to trigger the first new game plus? If I get more it won't work?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Orb ending spoilers:

5-10 for the first NG+
11 is a different ending
Subsequent NG loops need more orbs. (but never 11)
https://noita.fandom.com/wiki/Endings

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Yeah that's exactly it. I've got perk duplication. Man that's annoying. So it'll just break all projectile triggers then?

You can still use triggers and the perk can lead to some powerful builds, but a lot of trigger-based spells/wands become garbage and/or an instant gameover.

It works okay if you just want to roll the credits as quickly as possible, but if you're going completely off the rails and goofing around in parallel worlds and NG+ the DPS increase from copied projectiles generally isn't worth losing the ability to control which spell you're casting and how/when.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

EDIT: vv Thanks! That's what I get from trying to link from Discord.

Hempuli fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 4, 2021

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

The image you linked doesn't work, sadly. :(

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Alright, hoping my image works.

I'm still working on my first win of this game. So far I am down to the vault. I have a pretty gross digging wand with always cast matter eater. But my damage wand is pretty garbage. I've managed to kill a few of the bosses and am having a pretty easy time keeping my life up, but I've enraged the gods and I want something better before I have to deal with that nonsense. Where should I go look for a better wand before heading further down?

CyberLord XP fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 4, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Depends on the stats of your attack wand. I'd like something more aimable than bubble spark but if you can get hold of a spark bolt/magic arrow/etc+trigger spell you'll be set up excellently with those modifiers.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
For dealing with whatshisname, the Holy Mountain lich guy, you want a fast-firing weapon to drop his shield. Then ideally you get something like a freeze burst, because (in addition to the fact that he can't attack while frozen) you can one-hit-kill any enemy by kicking it while it's frozen.

There's also some setups where you can reliably kick one of the statues into him, which is also almost always a one-hit kill. It might be worth looking those up.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

CyberLord XP posted:

Alright, hoping my image works.

I'm still working on my first win of this game. So far I am down to the vault. I have a pretty gross digging wand with always cast matter eater. But my damage wand is pretty garbage. I've managed to kill a few of the bosses and am having a pretty easy time keeping my life up, but I've enraged the gods and I want something better before I have to deal with that nonsense. Where should I go look for a better wand before heading further down?

You have everything you need to make a devastating homing piercing shot trigger, which will detonate every frame it's touching an enemy. Although this won't help much for getting through Steve shields

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

like so:

https://i.imgur.com/lYQHPv1.mp4

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Homing shots are usually pretty good for killing shielded enemies. Shields work on projectile velocity and impacts. A homing shot that grinds on the shield surface often gets through.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

so cool

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Thank you, that helps a ton!

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

One shot. Ate through both his shields and killed him. Gross. On to the boss.

EDIT: It two shot the boss holy crap!

CyberLord XP fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 4, 2021

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Is there any way to remove perks in NG+? I know there's an altar somewhere in non NG+ maps but I'm not sure if it exists

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Wow, I just got the dumbest win I've had so far. I'd gotten oil blood and exploding corpses and was living it up with my fire/explosion immunity with a triplicate bolt wand with fire trail and 2 fireball orbiters. Then, at the end of the vault I picked up a wand that had always.... cast.... nuke.... orbiter. What an obscenely stupid spell, it's amazing. With two triplicate bolts I was firing 24 nukes at a time lmfao. Using my insane power I visited total nuclear devastation on the temple of the art, the only thing that shithole deserves. I 24-nuked the boss, took half my health to falling ceiling chunks (fortunately I had found a ton of hearts) and then just barely dodged the absurd curtain of lava that fell from the ceiling. I had to nuke away the debris blocking the portal. In my hubris I nuked the final room too, barely survived the ceiling collapse and then timidly black holed my way to the altar rather than risk getting buried again.

This loving game lmao.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The only thing that wand would nuke for me is my CPU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Eric the Mauve posted:

The only thing that wand would nuke for me is my CPU

The game froze for a second or two every time it hit. That's how you know you're winning!

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

ask me about quadratic-growth wand experiments in spell lab

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

BMan posted:

ask me about quadratic-growth wand experiments in spell lab

how many goofy CTD-noita.exe combinations have you found, such as: (modifiers)...[multicast][Div/10][Add Mana][Div/10][Div/10][Tau][Omega][Omega]...(projectiles)

...though the only real uses for a crashwand are nonsense like savescumming or exploiting the asynchronous-autosave to duplicate perks

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

and ending the universe to spite the gods

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Here's a quick example that doesn't quite crash the game. As you can see I'm a big fan of the homing piercing trigger bubble combo

https://i.imgur.com/wy5B0U3.mp4

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Leaving aside creations that actually crashed the game, I did make a wand that got up to 11 minutes per frame, and the time per frame was still increasing when I just pulled the plug on it after 14 hours or something.

I've just stopped using larpas because I can't be trusted with them. They're usually more flashy than effective anyways. Dividing greek letters is also sketchy but has actual uses for quadrillion dps wands.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

BMan posted:

Here's a quick example that doesn't quite crash the game. As you can see I'm a big fan of the homing piercing trigger bubble combo

https://i.imgur.com/wy5B0U3.mp4

I'm trying out spell lab for the first time and it's got a couple example wands saved. They've got quite a crazy amount of "divide by 10" modifiers in them but for some reason whatever projectile is actually shoots out just homes in on a target and goes right through it while making a ton of particles.

Any idea why it just phases through? There doesn't seem to be any modifiers that make it do that, just a bunch of divide by 10's and a bouncy bolt

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I do not understand those wands. However, I have found the secrets of ultimate power and finally won spell lab

https://noita.fandom.com/wiki/Expert_Guide:_Divide_By_Spells
https://noita.fandom.com/wiki/Expert_Guide:_High_Damage_Wands_with_Spells_to_Power

spoiler: a solution to win spell lab. this is right on the edge of crashing the game

https://i.imgur.com/fJnxBiM.mp4

edit: this requires an infinite gold cheat

BMan fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 6, 2021

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

BMan posted:

this requires an infinite gold cheat

Getting infinite gold is legit, once you get ~2billion the game just declares "there's no point keeping track anymore, you already have ALL THE MONEY so do whatever" :matters:

To get there you need to stack up a lot of Greed(each stack doubles gold gain) and probably quite a few TrickGreed(each stack doubles nuggets/idols/etc from trick kills) and then go to hell and farm cheesy trick kills like [Long-distance Cast][Teleporting cast][Touch of Smoke]

A lot of late-game Noita shenanigans can be summarized as "break the game so hard that 'rules' become optional, then find ways to bend reality to your whim or otherwise just gently caress around as a god until you get bored and/or instagib yourself hilariously"

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Recently got back into Noita, need to read up on the thread but wanted to offer a trip report-

I finally, finally got a run going where I can get to parallel worlds with some ease and am now trying to figure out what to do with my rapidly ascending godhood. Taking out the alchemist boss and getting access to greek spells really does change everything.

There is so much poo poo to investigate in this game and I have no idea where to begin without spoiling myself. Even since the last time I played there seems to be new stuff getting thrown in all the time.

• Found three music machines that I can kick to turn on, and a note item from the dark temple to the west of the frozen caves, but they don't seem to interact? Maybe I need to find more music for it?

• Found two miniature flaming blue orbs-not the orbs of knowledge with hearts-but smaller ones in the desert and frozen wastes that take damage and got blown up. What could they be? Should I have destroyed them? :iiam:

• Found a small inverted pyramid with an eye on it in the first fungal caverns, and another in the eastern desert with what looks like a mushroom and two... down arrows? on it. I need to bring the eye.. beam... thing to it to see if it reveals anything.

• Also have come across big metal bowls in the mines that seem ideal for holding/mixing potions, and a larger version with a hexagon like symbol and three smaller gem symbols near it. I know there's all sorts of alchemy to uncover, but the only thing I know how to make is acceleratanium :eng99:

• I also know of the existence of the essences, a vague idea of where to find them and that they need to be brought to the moon but I'm holding off on picking any of those up since they seem to be a slow death sentence.

That's about all the threads I'm pulling that I can think of at the moment. I'm just trying to do/see as much as I can as this is the first run of this game where I've managed to achieve a sort of 'escape velocity'.

e; oh yeah, forgot about the scales in the desert. it's stuck down on the left, tried to free it (ended up blowing up most of the left side), but it didn't budge :shrug:

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 6, 2021

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

If you've killed the Alchemist he also drops something other than greek spells that you might have missed in all the slime he bleeds....

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

AceClown posted:

If you've killed the Alchemist he also drops something other than greek spells that you might have missed in all the slime he bleeds....

Oh right, thanks! Yeah I have no idea what to do with it/where to bring it. For now it's sitting where it dropped.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

just read all the secrets on the wiki, you can never figure all this poo poo out on your own

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

NEVER! When society collapses and the internet goes out forever, I'll have my solar panels, Noita, and its secrets.

e; I'll happily accept curated hints/nudges tho :)

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 6, 2021

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
I found the crystal chest myself but I don't think I'd have ever figured out how to open it naturally. Maybe there's a tablet somewhere that describes it but who has time to read anything?
Once I knew about that basic concept though, when I found the dark chest I did manage to decode that one on my own which I was happy with. Not the spells though, I wish those would have stayed locked since they're just kind of annoying.

Some of the 1.0 stuff I haven't looked up yet, mostly since I just haven't felt like doing any long runs recently.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Goddamn I really do love this game. I've never played something where experience and knowledge of the esoterica translates so directly to incredible, awesome power. I've been downright evangelical about it with introducing it to friends and as I've learned more my pitch has shifted-

At first glance it's a roguelike dungeon crawler with some secrets around the periphery.

In actuality it's this enormous/endless metroidvania with a sideshow dungeon at the start.

One of my favorite things is how some wands you find are just straight up cursed. Not like in other games, where its explicitly labeled 'cursed' and that means whatever, but that you can look at a wand and know (with some hard earned experience)- "oh hey, using this thing will badly maim or just straight up kill me. Cool!"

And then you pocket it to strip useful materials later, only to forget what it does in a moment of panic because you got really really high. But yeah, with some 250-ish attempts now I have no doubt that the vast majority of my deaths were self-inflicted.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

The Protagonist posted:

One of my favorite things is how some wands you find are just straight up cursed. Not like in other games, where its explicitly labeled 'cursed' and that means whatever, but that you can look at a wand and know (with some hard earned experience)- "oh hey, using this thing will badly maim or just straight up kill me. Cool!"

And then you pocket it to strip useful materials later, only to forget what it does in a moment of panic because you got really really high. But yeah, with some 250-ish attempts now I have no doubt that the vast majority of my deaths were self-inflicted.

Also you can drop a suicide wand and just watch humanoid enemies pick it up and kill themselves with like a boomerang/piercing/bouncy sawblade, which somehow never gets old :v:

The Protagonist posted:

e; I'll happily accept curated hints/nudges tho :)

Those strange-looking dungeon features with something that looks like a pool you can dump liquids in? Generally those are tied to environmental puzzles, with nearby clues. (There are other dungeon puzzles too, aside from the insanely cryptic hints at Hidden Stuff) Some of them are more obvious than others but generally the answer is "lol physics"

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
For the music machines, a key might like to listen to them, but you should set it down carefully because it's very fragile .

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I stumbled across the lukki lair and got jumped by kammolukkis which were ... :gonk: completely new to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
On lukki lair

I got to it with 2x more hate active and the main purple saw mouth lukki guys all actively ran away from me. The shadow/fart clouds gave me more trouble