Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Hah, thanks. Costs less to use picardin anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I’ve been using Repel Lemon Eucalyptus for a couple of years and I swear by it. I am a trail runner and mountain biker, and am in the woods anywhere from 3 to 5 times a week. To be clear I live in East Tennessee, so our mosquito problem is not as bad as other places. Biggest negative is smell, but I really don’t care. So far no bites while wearing running or biking.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:lol: last week camping a friend brought a cheapo Ozark Trail tent and everyone had a good laugh. But, it looked pretty slick and ya know what? For $35 this is a pretty dopeass car camping tent. I nabbed the last one at our local Walmart today and this is gonna be pretty great for luxury camping in a campground this fall.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

nate fisher posted:

I’ve been using Repel Lemon Eucalyptus for a couple of years and I swear by it. I am a trail runner and mountain biker, and am in the woods anywhere from 3 to 5 times a week. To be clear I live in East Tennessee, so our mosquito problem is not as bad as other places. Biggest negative is smell, but I really don’t care. So far no bites while wearing running or biking.

I was recently down in Great Smoky Mountain NP to see the synchronous fireflies and was shocked when I came out of the woods (wearing shorts) with no bites. Are they just not as aggressive down there?

Also, it was my first time to the park and it’s now one of my favorite places I’ve been! Definitely want to go back and stay at Leconte Lodge.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

liz posted:

I was recently down in Great Smoky Mountain NP to see the synchronous fireflies and was shocked when I came out of the woods (wearing shorts) with no bites. Are they just not as aggressive down there?

Also, it was my first time to the park and it’s now one of my favorite places I’ve been! Definitely want to go back and stay at Leconte Lodge.

I've been meaning to go to the firefly thing. How was it?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

:lol: last week camping a friend brought a cheapo Ozark Trail tent and everyone had a good laugh. But, it looked pretty slick and ya know what? For $35 this is a pretty dopeass car camping tent. I nabbed the last one at our local Walmart today and this is gonna be pretty great for luxury camping in a campground this fall.

They're perfectly fine for occasional car camping. They're not going to be as durable or lightweight as top brands, but at 10% of the cost, who gives a poo poo. Buy a patch kit and some seam sealer and spend your remaining $350 on a cooler and beer.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I know smidge works well against midges and the website says it's also effective against mosquitos if anyone wants to try it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

liz posted:

They are worse in the foothills where I live (Knoxville) than the GSMNP, but even in the foothills they are not aggressive as I’ve experienced in other areas. Still I have made the mistake of getting cocky and not using spray only to get eaten up. So if I’m in the woods, I’m spraying down my legs and arms.

I try to do the LeConte hike once a year, and this year I am planning to trail run it solo for the first time. I would recommend getting on the AT at Newfound Gap to the Boulevard Trail (it has the least people) to LeConte and using Alum Cave Trail to go down as the best LeConte hike. You will need 2 cars of course since 2 trailheads or you can park at Alum Cave and hitchhike up ti Newfound Gap (very easy for hikers to do). If you can’t just take Alum Cave up and down.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

I have a nice backpacking tent but I also have a $30 Ozark Trail tent that I use nearly as much for backyard camping with the kids, goofing off inside the house or taking to the beach/park where some shade and storage is wanted. A cheap tent you don't need to baby is a great investment.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

FCKGW posted:

I have a nice backpacking tent but I also have a $30 Ozark Trail tent that I use nearly as much for backyard camping with the kids, goofing off inside the house or taking to the beach/park where some shade and storage is wanted. A cheap tent you don't need to baby is a great investment.

Heck yeah. I'm super excited to have a tent big enough to fit an air mattress in.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FCKGW posted:

This is great news to me, I now have a car that's a bit more off-road than the last one, but the price tag on new camping gear has been off-putting, especially if I decide it sucks after a trip or two.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good, comfy, car camping sleeping pad and that is not enormously space inefficient and which isn't gonna require me to get a bigger tent?

A lot of my kit is ultralight, but I'm going to be doing some car camping coming up this summer and I was thinking it would be nice to be a bit more comfortable. So I was thinking of getting a "car camping" sleeping pad.

Seems like when I google "best car camping pad" I get some enormous pads that have a huge packed size and would almost entirely consume 2 man tent. Like yes sure it's car camping, but my car isn't that big.

I think I'd be ok having something slightly less luxurious than the top recommendations if it means i'll have more space in my 2 man tent and take up less space in my car. Like I drive a Jeep so if my stuff is taking up too much space it's gonna mean that I can't take as many friends with me and we'll have to bring another car. Lame.

For example the highly recommended Therm-a-Rest MondoKing 3D is 66 cm x 26 cm. The MEC clone of this, the Reactor 10 is C$70 cheaper, but a further ~20cm longer in packed size. Massive!

Maybe the MEC clone is def too big, and I could pay the extra $70 for the Mondo King. I dunno to folks think there's anything with a smaller packed size than the Mondo King that's still more comfy than my ultralight kit (thermarest neo air xlite)?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Answering my own question looks like the Nemo Roamer is smaller than everything else, but still pretty comfy. https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/camping-mattress/nemo-roamer

Somehow this is C$330 at MEC. Yikes. Uh yeah no.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I feel bad slathering my exposed skin with DEET but the bloodsuckers are gaga for my goods.

I just came back from an overnighter in the woods to test some equipment and I have like twenty, thirty bites on the tippy-tops of my shoulders, the only part of me that wasn't covered in either toxins, at least two layers of clothing, or my backpack.

I hate them. I hate them so much.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Any of you ever tried that old advice of eating a few matchheads a day to keep biting critters away? Supposedly the sulphur doesn't agree with them.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

That doesn't sound pleasant.

I picked up a Ozark Trail 10x10 screen shelter. It's slant leg, so the top is really only 6x6. It's big enough for the table and chairs however. Quality seems good enough. I wouldn't expect much from it in full sun or in the rain due to the shape.

I did find a few sellers with screen walls for 10x10 canopies. These alone were about the same price as the Ozark trail shelter. The issue is that my 10x10 canopy has the overhanging sides, so the legs are only 9x9, and those walls won't fit.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 4, 2021

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Or healthy for that matter.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Heard about it when i was in the army in Alaska, it doesnt work, a bunch of the guys tried it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

FireTora posted:

Heard about it when i was in the army in Alaska, it doesnt work, a bunch of the guys tried it.

was this before or after they came back with the striped paint and box of grid squares?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Pondex posted:

Any of you ever tried that old advice of eating a few matchheads a day to keep biting critters away? Supposedly the sulphur doesn't agree with them.

Some quick searches lead me to message boards of Vietnam vets and/or fishermen saying they've done it for years and it works. Some even claiming a single match head lasts an entire month. What's to question?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Wouldn't the bugs need to bite you in order to taste whatever sulphur you consumed?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I couldn't find any papers studying the effects of sulfur on mosquitoes, but page after page of pseudoscience blogs bragging about how awesome sulfur is at preventing bites.

So I'm gonna put that one in the "doesn't work" category.

And even if it did, there's much more edible ways to get the element into your system. And safer, potassium chlorate is not a thing you want to be eating.

Slimy Hog posted:

Wouldn't the bugs need to bite you in order to taste whatever sulphur you consumed?

The theory is it makes you stinky and unfavorable. Same for eating garlic or stuff with citronella in it, you ooze stink out of your pores and the mosquitoes stay away.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mosquitos are the world's deadliest animal (in addition to most annoying), and nearly every culture on earth for all of human history has had to put up with them. We pour astronomical resources into mosquito research every year and don't seem to have a lot to show for it. If little tricks actually worked they'd probably have become universal by now.

I covered myself in picaridin, like a gross amount, yesterday, and I still had them landing on me.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Does anyone make a skottle for under $100? $300-400 seems silly for a tripod with a propane burner and a pan.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Skottle is the brand name and yeah they want too much money for it.

"cooking disc" or "discada" or "plow disc" is that type of grill and searching those terms will dig up some cheaper options. But it will send you down more of a DIY road.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

xzzy posted:

Skottle is the brand name and yeah they want too much money for it.

"cooking disc" or "discada" or "plow disc" is that type of grill and searching those terms will dig up some cheaper options. But it will send you down more of a DIY road.

Yeah the frying pan itself isnt an issue finding. I just like that concept of a single burner with a small propane tank on a tripod.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I've never seen one until just now but that looks pretty similar to a wok setup

Of course the wok isn't fixed or really meant to be but you could achieve the same result I think

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah the frying pan itself isnt an issue finding. I just like that concept of a single burner with a small propane tank on a tripod.

Yep, they're super awesome. Dump a bunch of food on it, get it hot, shovel it into a tortilla.. instant awesome meal.

This is the cheapest one I know of (well I'm sure there's something cheaper and sketchier on alibaba but ain't going there):

https://www.southwestdisk.com/discada-portable-height-adjustable-burner/

Still requires the disc/wok/hotplate/whatever you wanna call it.

And I don't think anything is as portable as the skottle. Most burners are backyard BBQ type setups.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah I'm looking at the DIY options. There's a popular cast iron one that people build off of, but it looks like the price has gone up a lot recently on that item and it's not as economical. Also all of these people have metal fabricating and welding equipment which I do not have.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Big Agnes gets my thumbs up, they replaced bad shock cord in our tent poles on a 6 year old tent free of charge.

To be fair, whatever happened to the elastic was an actual defect. We packed the tent up two summers ago and everything was fine (and dry), and we brought it out this spring to get ready for summer fun and there was no more stretch. It was like the rubber completely disintegrated and all that was left was the casing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

That happened to a brand new tent from BA (granted it was a clearance from REI so it may have been in the warehouse for years) and they also replaced it for free.

As an aside I bought a Nemo Dagger 2p tent recently and this thing kicks rear end. Very comfortable for a couple due to its good head clearance and almost vertical sidewalls.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Well Ive tried out my new camp chair a bit and unfortunately the search continues.

I bought a Coleman Woodsman 2 chair. I was hopeful that it would work for my purposes but no such luck. It was very comfortable and it setup incredibly quickly but I had a couple of issues with it. First it weighed about 3 pounds on my scale. WAY heavier than listed weight. Second it was just too wide to reliably strap to the outside of my pack.

For now I will keep going with old reliable. My Thermarest sit pad. Hopefully one day I will find a chair that works for me.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think you just have to shell out the $100 if you want a truly UL backpacking chair. I haven't been able to justify it yet, but I think it'll be a good gift idea or gift card purchase down the line.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think you just have to shell out the $100 if you want a truly UL backpacking chair. I haven't been able to justify it yet, but I think it'll be a good gift idea or gift card purchase down the line.

Ive got the "ultralight" REI and Helionox chairs, I think I'm just after a unicorn that doesnt exist.

My problem with those style chairs is that you have to unroll them, put the thing together, get the legs in the end pockets, etc. Then repeat the whole process in reverse to stow away. I most commonly use a chair for breaks on the trail. I want to be able to drop my pack grab my chair and sit. Those foldable stools are great for this, no setup, just unfold and you're sitting. But they dont have a back rest, which is what I really want.

So for now I'll just stick with the sitpad. Maybe some day some lunatic will make a folding stool with a backrest out of titanium and UL fabrics, and i'll be there to fork out to much money for it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone needs to make a backpack with an integrated chair. Then you can toss it on the ground and sit on it without worrying about crushing your food.

The closest I've gotten to that is using my bear canister as a stool.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

There are lots of backpacks with integrated chairs. Or at least there used to be, because I have a couple of old packs like that.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

How do you like the Helinox chair once it's put together? I've read that the back rest isn't as supportive as some would like.

I tolerate my sit pad on the trail because I'm just thankful to have the pack off my back. I always want something more supportive at camp though because my back is so sore and I've been hunched (or resisting hunching) all day. Maybe I should start doing campsite yoga.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How do you like the Helinox chair once it's put together? I've read that the back rest isn't as supportive as some would like.

It, and similar chairs, are pretty comfortable. The back rest doesnt go up as high as I'd like and I sometimes feel a bit wobbly/unsteady with them depending on the ground type but thats the price to pay for a camp chair that weighs around 1 lb.

I should just sell all the variations of them that I have because I dont end up taking them anymore. When I'm at camp I'm usually lounging or sitting in my hammock and dont need one.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

They're perfectly fine for occasional car camping. They're not going to be as durable or lightweight as top brands, but at 10% of the cost, who gives a poo poo. Buy a patch kit and some seam sealer and spend your remaining $350 on a cooler and beer.

So if I'm new to camping, one of these things wouldn't be a terrible way to getting into it? I'd like to get a legit tent as well, but if I can start with a lovely tent--because I'm gonna end up intentionally/unintentionally abusing my first tent--I'd feel less bad about chewing it up. Also, any particular recommendations on patch kits and seam sealers, or are they all pretty much the same?

Edit: I did recently buy a decent(?) sleeping bag according to this thread, a Kelty cosmic down 20, because I needed a sleeping bag in a hurry--and gently caress spending money on a lovely sleeping bag.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It, and similar chairs, are pretty comfortable. The back rest doesnt go up as high as I'd like and I sometimes feel a bit wobbly/unsteady with them depending on the ground type but thats the price to pay for a camp chair that weighs around 1 lb.

I should just sell all the variations of them that I have because I dont end up taking them anymore. When I'm at camp I'm usually lounging or sitting in my hammock and dont need one.

If you choose to sell them, I may be interested in buying them.