Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I clicked the link because I wanted to see an amazing $18m slip n slide, but it's a show, not a ride. Utterly disappointing.

e: Welp, terrible snipe, but I have nothing to add, I'm afraid; this thread is where I get all my news.

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 12:42 on Jul 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Lady Disdain posted:

e: Welp, terrible snipe, but I have nothing to add, I'm afraid; this thread is where I get all my news.
Jeopardy host: Lady Disdain…

Lady Disdain: what are those fish that swim up your dick

Jeopardy host: no

The former Latvian prime minister Fidelma Macken. Marilyn it’s your turn to pick again…

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 03:59 on Jul 4, 2021

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
How can the answer not be dick fish ? It's always dick fish !

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Lady Disdain posted:

How can the answer not be dick fish ? It's always dick fish !

Just because it goes in your dick, doesn't make it a fish

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Hay are you a candiru or a can't do ru?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Movement grows to replace statues of Columbus with ones dedicated to a more respected figure—TV detective Lieutenant Columbo

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I can get behind that.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Columbo is not without his own controversies:

Wikipedia posted:

…[Kate] Mulgrew was aged only 23 when the first season [of Mrs. Columbo] was broadcast (and perhaps younger still when it was filmed), meaning that when Columbo originally premiered in 1968, the detective was married to a 12 year old who immediately conceived a daughter.

Both Columbo and the Mrs. Columbo show itself would retcon the connection between the two, but imagine how much drugs had to have been involved at NBC to suggest even a tenuous association.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I watched the first episode of the serie, and it aged horribly,, the pace was kind of slow. I like Columbo, he was friendly even to the people he suspicious where murderers asked the questions and had a life outside his job.

I will probably try again and check other seasons of random episodes, maybe I can find a trail of good episodes.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Go for a 'best of' list, I enjoyed most of the ones that are rated at the top.

"Any port in a storm" had Donald Pleasence at his best.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They're horror movies with the murderer being the protagonist, and Columbo being Nemesis.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Blue Moonlight posted:

Columbo is not without his own controversies:

Both Columbo and the Mrs. Columbo show itself would retcon the connection between the two, but imagine how much drugs had to have been involved at NBC to suggest even a tenuous association.

:psyduck:
I never once in my life heard the second show existed. Probably for good reason.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Tei posted:

I watched the first episode of the serie, and it aged horribly,, the pace was kind of slow. I like Columbo, he was friendly even to the people he suspicious where murderers asked the questions and had a life outside his job.

I will probably try again and check other seasons of random episodes, maybe I can find a trail of good episodes.

They're all good, but you're right that they're not like a modern show. I don't think they've aged badly, they're just incredibly different from what we see these days.

I love Columbo, it's really relaxing to watch people completely underestimate a scruffy dude as he hunts them like a Terminator, and it's really funny as well, there's an episode where Columbo and that episodes killer have a long friendly conversation, 200 feet apart, shouting, in a car park, it's bonkers!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BooDooBoo posted:

it's really funny as well, there's an episode where Columbo and that episodes killer have a long friendly conversation, 200 feet apart, shouting, in a car park, it's bonkers!

:lol::laffo::lol:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BooDooBoo posted:

They're all good, but you're right that they're not like a modern show. I don't think they've aged badly, they're just incredibly different from what we see these days.

I love Columbo, it's really relaxing to watch people completely underestimate a scruffy dude as he hunts them like a Terminator, and it's really funny as well, there's an episode where Columbo and that episodes killer have a long friendly conversation, 200 feet apart, shouting, in a car park, it's bonkers!

Old shows were meant to be watched on a tv 6 feet away from the couch, while you were partially distracted by other things going on in the house, broken up by commercial breaks, and you were expected to get up to piss and stuff during the 60 minutes the show was on. Watching alone on a screen less than a foot away with no distractions is a different experience.

If the platform allows it, I find it helps a lot of shows to watch at 1.25 speed. That's not fast enough to make people sound like chipmunks or mess with the music too much. Once you are used to that a lot of shows are fine at 1.5 speed too. I started with horror movies that often have at least half an hour of introducing the annoying character's normal life before anything spooky happens, then turn it down when they get to the good part.

I watch most of the talking heads youtubes at 2x speed now, just turn everything into Zero Punctuation.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Facebook Aunt posted:

Old shows were meant to be watched on a tv 6 feet away from the couch, while you were partially distracted by other things going on in the house, broken up by commercial breaks, and you were expected to get up to piss and stuff during the 60 minutes the show was on. Watching alone on a screen less than a foot away with no distractions is a different experience.

If the platform allows it, I find it helps a lot of shows to watch at 1.25 speed. That's not fast enough to make people sound like chipmunks or mess with the music too much. Once you are used to that a lot of shows are fine at 1.5 speed too. I started with horror movies that often have at least half an hour of introducing the annoying character's normal life before anything spooky happens, then turn it down when they get to the good part.

I watch most of the talking heads youtubes at 2x speed now, just turn everything into Zero Punctuation.

You must have lightning fast reflexes to be able to pause the video at the right spot when boobs appear.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Tei posted:

Columbo rules but it's a very slow and gentle kind of show. I like the one where Fisher Stevens plays Stephen Spielbérgo, the one with Dick Van Dyke as the murderer, and the one where Johnny Cash plays an absolute bastard of a murdering, statutory-raping musician.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Just one more thing...

There's also a good one with Jose Ferrer, a young Jessica Walters, and Robbie The Robot.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Facebook Aunt posted:

If the platform allows it, I find it helps a lot of shows to watch at 1.25 speed. That's not fast enough to make people sound like chipmunks
That won't happen no matter how fast you make it because they adjust the pitch to compensate.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

people who don't have the patience to watch anything made before 1997 are the worst kind of person in the world

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tiggum posted:

That won't happen no matter how fast you make it because they adjust the pitch to compensate.

Nice! That's cool to know.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Everything named after Christopher Columbus should instead be named after Chris Columbus, the Gremlins and Home Alone guy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Chris Columbus is to filmmaking as Christopher Columbus is to colonization :colbert:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tiggum posted:

Yeah and instead the pitch adjustment makes them sound like they’re being strangled by octopodes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Chris Columbus is to filmmaking as Christopher Columbus is to colonization :colbert:

He established many techniques early on that soon became commonplace, and carried out his job with far more effectiveness than most of his imitators?

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

https://columbophile.com/2018/04/02/columbo-full-episode-any-old-port-in-a-storm/ It's about an hour into this outstanding episode.

Falk and Pleasence shouting dialogue in a winery car park, and it's full-Donald Pleasence too, no messing around. “AN EXCITING MEAL HAS BEEN RUINED BY THIS… LIQUID FILTH!” is an amazing line read.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Alaois posted:

people who don't have the patience to watch anything made before 1997 are the worst kind of person in the world

Hitler? Well poo poo, we all make mistakes. Not watching what I like? Worthy of condemnation

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

BooDooBoo posted:

https://columbophile.com/2018/04/02/columbo-full-episode-any-old-port-in-a-storm/ It's about an hour into this outstanding episode.

Falk and Pleasence shouting dialogue in a winery car park, and it's full-Donald Pleasence too, no messing around. “AN EXCITING MEAL HAS BEEN RUINED BY THIS… LIQUID FILTH!” is an amazing line read.

Search for Ashens LIQUID FILTH remix on YouTube.

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ysUg5S4lRI

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 16:51 on Jul 5, 2021

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

By popular demand posted:

Search for Ashens LIQUID FILTH remix on YouTube.

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ysUg5S4lRI

Hello new ringtone.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://apnews.com/article/europe-austria-environment-and-nature-f6197c876b74881cca252980f8ed98c0

“felt a ‘nip’ in the genital area”

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Crystal meth in waterways is turning trout into drug addicts

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Well London eels are already coked up to the gills, it was only a matter of time before the rest of the fish got hooked

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Hank warned us, but we didn't listen.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/aldotcom/status/1412918532313079808?s=21

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

drat, what a coup for the board of tourism!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Come for the lower amounts of fecal bacteria, stay for the dilapidated unfinished pier!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Alabama and Mississippi’s beaches are located in the Florida pandhandle and the marshes of Louisiana, respectively.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Gulf Shores isn't actually that bad, if I'm being honest.

At least it's not Galveston.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Alabama and Mississippi’s beaches are located in the Florida pandhandle and the marshes of Louisiana, respectively.

I was going to ask, does Alabama even have beaches to speak of? Thought it was like a Bosnia situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Phlegmish posted:

I was going to ask, does Alabama even have beaches to speak of? Thought it was like a Bosnia situation

Don't worry, the US is also forgetting Alabama had a port let alone a beach. But sometimes not so much as Mississippi since the port at least has one of the bigger dry dock and shipwrights.

The keys/sandbars that make up the Alabama beaches (but yes, shared with Florida) are probably the best US Gulf of Mexico beaches. There's some pretty neat dune islands out and around the Mississippi Delta and off the Mississippi and Alabama coast that appear to be virgin land but are apparently where all the decommissioned oil rig equipment is dumped including asbestos tile and pipe wrap, or else were used for targeting practice for littoral exercises and are full of UXO.