Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

already said i didnt read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mordja posted:

Though the sequel's the one I'm really interested in, I decided to pick up the first Everspace. Any tips for what Perks I should be buying early on?

It's been a minute since I played, but iirc one of the early ships you can unlock is really good - most other unlocks were just progressive bonuses if I remember right

Otherwise just play conservative while you're working on meta unlocks and learning the game - use cover! Trying to dogfight early in the open is suicide.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mordja posted:

Though the sequel's the one I'm really interested in, I decided to pick up the first Everspace. Any tips for what Perks I should be buying early on?

Lowered chance for components to break because components breaking can kill you, more energy regen because the interceptor starts with the least and it’s easy to find yourself running out while enemies are still around, and more credits multiplier so you’ll get more money down the line.

edit: Forgot a big one: More information on the starmap. this is critical so you can avoid higher risk sectors with natural hazards.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 4, 2021

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

John Murdoch posted:

Dark Souls 3 advice

Thanks for this, helped me to wrap up some loose ends. I also accidentally beat the game, but that's all right, I'm not quite done yet. Structurally it sort of felt like I was at the halfway point so I wasn't expecting to roll credits. DS1 has two clearly defined halves and I guess I thought DS3 would have a second 'quest' as well after beating the Lords of Cinder. I guess I'm assuming there's no secret final boss or whatever.

I wouldn't mind a couple more nudges, though...

- Archdragon Peak: I must have missed something here because Andre has nothing to say or do about the dragon stones, so I don't know how to progress. I went ahead and rung the bell, though. I have a feeling I know how this is going to end (I hope I'm not setting myself up for disappointment...) but I'm just missing a piece I guess.
- Ariandel: I think I need to show the kid a flame. I'm so bad at Dark Souls puzzles, nothing I've tried worked. The optional boss here was fun though and it's a very interesting map.
- Dreg Heap: I ran through because this area killed my framerate. Is there anything important here? I don't care about loot, just anything that might prevent progress elsewhere. Stuck on a boss here for now - the second phase is an absolute dick move in this one, I thought I was completely done with this fight ffs.

I suppose I should start thinking about the Ringed City as well at some point, though I'd preferably finish AoA first. Is finding it as obscure as the DLCs in the first two games or will I know it when I see it?

Sorry for all the questions... kinda wish I was better at the puzzles in these games so I didn't have to ping the thread for help as much. Although I need to remember that I'm playing offline, maybe with messages I wouldn't have so much trouble. I imagine Untended Graves for instance is trivial to find when you're playing online.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sway Grunt posted:

Thanks for this, helped me to wrap up some loose ends. I also accidentally beat the game, but that's all right, I'm not quite done yet. Structurally it sort of felt like I was at the halfway point so I wasn't expecting to roll credits. DS1 has two clearly defined halves and I guess I thought DS3 would have a second 'quest' as well after beating the Lords of Cinder. I guess I'm assuming there's no secret final boss or whatever.

- Archdragon Peak: I must have missed something here because Andre has nothing to say or do about the dragon stones, so I don't know how to progress. I went ahead and rung the bell, though. I have a feeling I know how this is going to end (I hope I'm not setting myself up for disappointment...) but I'm just missing a piece I guess.

You see all that smoky cloudy stuff that appeared by the bell? You can drop down and walk on it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
you can sort games by percent discounted on the genre sale pages. there isn't a way to do this for custom searches, is there?

also, the room games are supposed to be good, right?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rinkles posted:

you can sort games by percent discounted on the genre sale pages. there isn't a way to do this for custom searches, is there?

I played the first three on my phone and liked them a lot.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

treat posted:

No need for lists, perfection has already been reached with Super Hydorah and all other horizontal shmups are irrelevant.

On this topic, a question: I'm looking for a game that looked like R-TYPE but the actual shmuping was turn based, where you direct your ship to move/shoot within a short frame of time sort of like the Frozen Synapse/Cortex games. It seemed interesting but I haven't been able to find it since.

e; I found it, it's called Mighty Tactical Shooter and it turned out to be another Kickstarter money blackhole that was verified dead and cancelled just a couple months ago after 5 years of radio silence. gently caress me.

Not sure if it's similar and you don't mind emulating a PSP there are the R-Type Command games. First one had a translation and the second has a fan translation. Each has 2 campaigns.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Sway Grunt posted:

- Ariandel: I think I need to show the kid a flame. I'm so bad at Dark Souls puzzles, nothing I've tried worked. The optional boss here was fun though and it's a very interesting map.
- Dreg Heap: I ran through because this area killed my framerate. Is there anything important here? I don't care about loot, just anything that might prevent progress elsewhere. Stuck on a boss here for now - the second phase is an absolute dick move in this one, I thought I was completely done with this fight ffs.

I suppose I should start thinking about the Ringed City as well at some point, though I'd preferably finish AoA first. Is finding it as obscure as the DLCs in the first two games or will I know it when I see it?

Sorry for all the questions... kinda wish I was better at the puzzles in these games so I didn't have to ping the thread for help as much. Although I need to remember that I'm playing offline, maybe with messages I wouldn't have so much trouble. I imagine Untended Graves for instance is trivial to find when you're playing online.

:ssh: the dreg heap is actually the ringed city dlc

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

You see all that smoky cloudy stuff that appeared by the bell? You can drop down and walk on it

Ahh, I'll check it out.

edit: Yeah that's about what I expected from that fog gate, but I'm pretty sure I need the dragon stones to work to stand a chance here...

Samopsa posted:

:ssh: the dreg heap is actually the ringed city dlc

Lol I guess that makes sense considering how you get to it. So much for finishing AoA before starting Ringed City.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 4, 2021

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Shmups: I recently revisited einhander on a PS1 emulator and it still holds up.

Rinkles posted:

they're great. The first one is quite short as it was still a bit of an experiment to see if it worked or caught on, but they're all worth playing.

They're not very difficult as puzzle games go and are more about poking around a puzzle box with satisfying visuals and sounds when things click into place or slide open.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Rinkles posted:

Real good if you like puzzles.

They’re satisfyingly challenging while still be completable by people unfamiliar with the genre. I vaguely remember having to pixel hunt a few times, however.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Wamdoodle posted:

Not sure if it's similar and you don't mind emulating a PSP there are the R-Type Command games. First one had a translation and the second has a fan translation. Each has 2 campaigns.

They're not at all similar, sadly. I really have a thing for the fine control of the Frozen Synapse style turn-based time loops, it's a shame it hasn't become it's own strategy subgenre yet, especially since Mode 7 have sort of stopped developing their own games.

Then again, I bought Frozen Synapse 2 at release and still haven't played more than a couple hours of it, so maybe I'm full of poo poo

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

LLSix posted:

Real good if you like puzzles.

They’re satisfyingly challenging while still be completable by people unfamiliar with the genre. I vaguely remember having to pixel hunt a few times, however.

will the plot make sense if I never watched the movie?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Flavahbeast posted:

Totally unrelated. Not even sure what movie you are talking about.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I did not hit her, it's not true! It's bullshit! I did not hit her! I did not!!!

Oh hi Mark.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Flavahbeast posted:

Haha. What a puzzle, Mark!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Rinkles posted:

Despite starting as cellphone games and then being ported to PC, they are actually really good.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Are there any other options for remote play together type functionality for games that aren't supported by it though steam? Is something paid like Parsec the only other real option for playing local co-op games remotely?

Wrestling Empire rules and I want to play it with my friend but remote play together isn't supported :(

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

explosivo posted:

Are there any other options for remote play together type functionality for games that aren't supported by it though steam? Is something paid like Parsec the only other real option for playing local co-op games remotely?

Wrestling Empire rules and I want to play it with my friend but remote play together isn't supported :(

There's also Moonlight and Nvidia game share, if you happen to have an Nvidia card. Parsec was easier to use.
There's also some way to trick Steam into doing remote play anything but you'd have to look it up.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Pako 2 is another phone game that was ported to PC and turned out to be really good. It's a score based GTA2 like car chase game where you're the getaway driver for every crime in town and the goal is to pick up your crime buddies from various crime scenes and drop them off at their respective hideouts, then escape the map before you get busted for a big bonus. I bought a bunch of games this sale off recommendations from the thread, things like Delta V: Rings of Saturn and Nova Drift, but I've spent most of my time with Pako 2 so far and I don't regret it. The driving feels good & handles wonderfully, the music is great, the visuals are surprisingly gorgeous, and it's addictive as hell. There are tons of superfluous unlockables but you can afford the important stuff relatively quickly, and there are no microtransactions to speak of. It feels like a highly polished gem of the flash era and it would be a perfect coffee break game if it weren't so hard to stop playing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Det_no posted:

There's also Moonlight and Nvidia game share, if you happen to have an Nvidia card. Parsec was easier to use.
There's also some way to trick Steam into doing remote play anything but you'd have to look it up.

Oh hey thanks for the heads up, I did some googling and found an app that you can run in the background that will let you send invites to any game so this might work!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sway Grunt posted:

That part where you got yoinked to Lothric Castle? That was the defacto halfway point. The structure of the game is very weird. No super duper hidden boss. In the base game, anyway. :P

Sway Grunt posted:

I am an insufferable know it all, so I love to answer questions!

It sounds like unfortunately you won't see the conclusion to the path of the dragon. It's technically an NPC side quest, with the end result being you fight the owner of the other shining stone to claim it. You should still be able to use the normal dragon stones, though. They're just a fun gimmick, not a puzzle piece or anything and you don't need 'em for the boss. I can probably guess what you're thinking and if you're seeing discouraging damage numbers against the boss, try smacking it in the face. To use the stones I think you gotta get nekkid first, then you can activate them like any other normal usable item. The shining ones are slightly better versions of the same thing.

IIRC, the next step in Ariandel is a bit funky, but there's no puzzle there either. There's a bonfire immediately outside the house where the painter is and you need to think outside the box a little bit to reach it but at that point it's just more Dark Soulsing through the forest to reach your destination. There's some small side paths but it's otherwise pretty linear.

And as was said, the Dreg Heap is the start of the Ringed City DLC. Gonna have to get past those demons. There is an NPC summon available by default and another you can gain...but mainly by thoroughly exploring the Dreg Heap, so...

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 4, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
e: ^^ None of the archdragon peak stuff is permanently missable, despite what the messages around the bell say. Ringing that bell does temporarily lock you out of the rest of the area though.

Lapp in the dreg heap has a questline, but it's not missable -- even if you go and finish the whole dlc and kill all the bosses without him you can still come back and progress it.
For Ariandel: The girl who wants to see flame isn't necessary to progress. Explore more and look for hidden stuff in nearby areas.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 4, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

e: ^^ None of the archdragon peak stuff is permanently missable, despite what the messages around the bell say. Ringing that bell does temporarily lock you out of the rest of the area though.

It's not about anything in Archdragon Peak itself, once you have 1/2 the shining dragon stones it's down to whatisname leaving the note with Andre and I guess he only does that if you properly progress his """quest""".

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 4, 2021

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Does Battletech have a story/narrative campaign? Or is it like Battle Brothers with randomly generated missions?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sway Grunt posted:

I know you said you didn't care about loot but the +3 version of one of the most universally useful rings in the game is in there, shortly after the Earthen Peak bonfire iirc, so maybe do poke around a little bit

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Away all Goats posted:

Does Battletech have a story/narrative campaign? Or is it like Battle Brothers with randomly generated missions?

Its got a narrative campaign with some proc gen missions in between the setpieces much like nu-XCOM if you've played that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Away all Goats posted:

There is a story line with unique missions, in between those you are free to do dynamic missions.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sway Grunt posted:

The last boss in Archdragon Peak, and the final bosses of both respective DLCs are all very very cool at least even if they're not "final" bosses

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Popete posted:

Anyone have thoughts on Song of Syx? It looks pretty impressive but not sure how fleshed out it actually is.

I haven't played it in quite a while and it has some new features that look like they give it a lot more depth, I need to check it out again (which I now plan to do today)! Here's the positive review I wrote on Steam around February 7th

quote:

If you like to Make Number Go Up and don't mind poking around an obtuse UI yourself to figure it out (virtually no tutorial) Songs of Syx is pretty good - right now there's virtually no "challenge" - you're just kind of reactively building whatever buildings your settlement needs more of for your people to be happy. Your city needs an absurd amount of each building to support the kind of population you end up with and they take a long time to build. But the presentation is great, and right now it plays like a mix between a city builder and an idle game which is a neat and fairly relaxing combination.

It is (was) a slow-paced city builder with occasional bandit raids that you fought off in a very primitive Total War style battle system (though the battle was on your actual city map). I know that since I last played the combat/war has been heavily expanded as well as the empire management stuff (multiple cities in different regions) finally being included.

The main thing that made it stand out from other city builders for me is:
1) Every building is designed tile-by-tile - you can blueprint and copy them as much as you want when you have a design you like, but I had fun building most buildings by hand and sizing them based on what I needed, finding a place to fit them into my existing city center, etc. - it made the cities look very organic and the building tools the game gives you (such as several variable sizes for different workbenches based on how many employees/stations you need) gave the building mechanics some fun variety - buildings over a certain size begin taking prohibitively larger amounts of resources to build, so you can't just make one gigantic version of each building, and you have to use your space intelligently. It's totally viable to make a tiny little closet with a kitchen stove in it to run meals out to a small portion of the neighborhood - just like it's totally viable to build a large central kitchen with two dozen chefs that multiple neighborhoods congregate around for meals.
and 2) You build a much larger city than in most medieval city building games. You're building the like, capital castle cities of a major empire, they're sprawling and huge and take your citizens an entire day to walk from one side to the other. This includes things like building little outskirt villages around the far-away iron mines so that your workers can live near the mines and not waste their entire day traveling, and then of course making sure they have all the food/merriment/etc that they need.

Particularly noteworthy is the game's visuals. Screenshots and even videos don't quite do it justice - the entire thing is completely birds-eye 2D pixel-based but it uses shaders usually found in 3d games to make everything feel significantly more alive. I think it straight up looks bad in screenshots and mediocre in videos but when actually playing the game I love it.

Some complaints:
It's a giant balancing act and it's very anxiety-laden in the sense that you constantly have more buildings to be placing. They can take multiple in-game seasons to build so you're always running behind on what you "need". You need so many that it does get monotonous placing them and waiting for your builders to finish, and you can't just queue up a hundred buildings at the start because you never quite know what your needs will be in the future and with how many buildings you need, trying to prioritize one over others if you have multiple constructions queued is a pain. But the pace is slow enough that you can take a breather any time you need. You can also just stop taking on new immigrants to chill with your current buildings and catch up - it's the growing population that forces constant expansion.

And also some of the citizen needs are just unfulfulling to fulfill - things like light or awe - you essentially just need to place a statue and a lamp every X tiles along your city roads - with as monstrously large as these cities get this takes ages, they could just as easily be baked right into the roads themselves, like expensive tiled roads provide light and awe themselves or something.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 5, 2021

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Any recommendations for chill games to play between zoom meetings?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I don't know how far apart your zoom meetings are but try DemonCrawl.
It's a minesweeper-like with a bunch of rng items glued on top that change the gameplay each run. Fun if you like minesweeper and easy enough to pick up and put down at a moment's notice.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
"We have RE7 at home"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qviC8l4glVI

Sexual Aluminum posted:

DEFCON is $1.50

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Seconding DEFCON, that game is great. Grim as hell but great.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Antigravitas posted:

I am a sucker for anything Dwarf Fortressy.

Absolutely. I'm eagerly waiting for the Steam version of Dwarf Fortress to come.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I erased my everspace save to try hard difficulty only. I forgot how insanely rude the game is at the start when you have no upgrades. the very first run forces you to start on normal, which annoyed me except it didn't actually matter because literally the first zone I had to land in after sector 1 had a jump-disabling corvette. I even killed it despite having basically nothing going for me besides some light missile that could outpace the nonstop shield drones it spawns infinitely, but died at the same instant.

On hard, I have 7 access keys by sector 3 because there are that many elites.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I'm looking at either Dead Island definitive edition, or Vermintide 2. Which game offers a more polished co-op experience for 3-4 players?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm looking at either Dead Island definitive edition, or Vermintide 2. Which game offers a more polished co-op experience for 3-4 players?

I'll just go ahead and assume VT2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Bioshuffle posted:

Vermintide 2. It's a newer, more polished game that has a shitton of content that will last you for a while. It's extremely satisfying chopping through hordes of ratmen, and the interaction between all the classes makes for a really fulfilling experience when everyone actually works together to utilize your strengths. It IS grindy, you will play the same levels a lot, but it's come a very long way since launch and is nowhere near as painful as what it used to be like to unlock new stuff and get good gear.

Dead Island was good 10 years ago but the last 2/3 of the game sucks poo poo. Dying Light is worth checking out if you haven't played that, though I'd still pick VT2 over Dying Light