Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao @ maria's "this rear end in a top hat tried to quit on me"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

GrandmaParty posted:

Worst cooks is the best at this because they legitimately seem to be having fun.

Getting Michael Symon in the latest season was a good pull, he’s very much into the fun side of it.

Still enjoying Crime Scene Kitchen. Showing the whispers between contestants is a interesting touch, showing off how petty some of them are. Also every bitchy expression the skinny guy with his mother makes.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

GrandmaParty posted:

Worst cooks is the best at this because they legitimately seem to be having fun.

When I watch this with my family I joke that the people having the most fun making Worst Cooks are the editors because they get to do all the corniest effects and goofy interview bits and it plays because the vibe of the show is so fun that it works

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

eke out posted:

lmao @ maria's "this rear end in a top hat tried to quit on me"

yeah her and jamie seemed to be very much themselves in that moment and it was legit touching. seconding the "bake off" route of reality competition is way more fun to watch than the old school "im not here to make friends" cliche

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

This ended up being really excellent. It's only 18 minutes but the juxtaposition of this really sumptuous food photography with stats and quotes about death row last meals was shockingly powerful.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Thanks to this thread I've started watching Crime Scene Kitchen, but I'm not sure I understand the competition format. The second episode has 6 whole new teams, but someone went home last time? How many teams are involved here.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
There's a A set of 6 teams and a B set of 6 teams. They alternate A and B shows. When both A and B get down to 3 teams (I assume) they combine from then on.

They didn't want to have to cover 24 people and 24 desserts in an hour, but they also didn't want only 6 teams to compete in the whole season. This way they get 12 teams to compete but they have more time to show each one.

I have a friend who's way too into The Masked Singer and I think they popularized this format a few seasons ago.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anne Whateley posted:

There's a A set of 6 teams and a B set of 6 teams. They alternate A and B shows. When both A and B get down to 3 teams (I assume) they combine from then on.

They didn't want to have to cover 24 people and 24 desserts in an hour, but they also didn't want only 6 teams to compete in the whole season. This way they get 12 teams to compete but they have more time to show each one.

I have a friend who's way too into The Masked Singer and I think they popularized this format a few seasons ago.

Ah ok thanks! I appreciate this, I was confused.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Molly's back kind of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSNuoSHj77c

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I thought the video was kind of whatever but it did remind me to try out Motz's onion trick for burgs.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

it is my wife's favorite burg. the onion burg is easy and tasty and everyone should try it imo

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Tonight's Chopped did a flash forward episode set in the year 3000 tonight that focused on sustainable foods over spice weasels and Slurm. There was some bitching on Twitter about the judging, which I didn't think was awful (don't attempt risotto!); then out of nowhere you get an in memoriam card for the Female contestant struggling with addiction.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Public service announcement: Cooking Issues no longer seems to be with Heritage Radio, so if you want to keep getting Cooking Issues episodes you have to look up the new podcast feed which is called “Cooking Issues with Dave Arnold”

mystes
May 31, 2006

Carillon posted:

Thanks to this thread I've started watching Crime Scene Kitchen, but I'm not sure I understand the competition format. The second episode has 6 whole new teams, but someone went home last time? How many teams are involved here.
I started watching this and the idea is so dumb but I kind of like it. I just started episode 4 and lol at the name on the coffee cup that apparently nobody noticed. It would probably be more reasonable if they didn't keep trying to trick people with the clues.

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 20, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ep 4 of CSK was the best so far. The mother who runs a pie shop who apparently doesn’t eat fruit or taste her own pies, meant the judge’s reaction of :psyduck: was entirely appropriate. “I didn’t even know mango tart was a thing.” How did you get this far?!

mystes
May 31, 2006

The second set of teams seems like they might just be bad at figuring out the clues in general compared to the first set of teams.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

https://clickhole.com/foodies-rejoice-this-chef-make-a-hamburger-1832468254/

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jacques Pepin made chilli con carne and it looks pretty dreadful. Just boiled bacon, beef, and beans with a few teaspoons of spices. It looks like a watery mess and he serves it in lettuce cups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJSUy0TBuoY

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

That's exactly how I imagine an old French dude would make chili

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Mu Zeta posted:

Jacques Pepin made chilli con carne and it looks pretty dreadful. Just boiled bacon, beef, and beans with a few teaspoons of spices. It looks like a watery mess and he serves it in lettuce cups.

I like the one where he's making pork with V8 and he picks up the V8 and says something like "we're cooking with uh... this today" followed by a giant eyeroll

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Whatever happened to babish’s culinary universe plans? I dont even see sohla making vids there anymore.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

teraflame posted:

Whatever happened to babish’s culinary universe plans? I dont even see sohla making vids there anymore.

he teased doing something with rick in the near future

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

teraflame posted:

Sohla's contract was only for a 10 episode series not several seasons. To me it looks like the name change was to rebrand for more than just making 2 shows a week and open up more business opportunities. Right now it seems like his focus has been on developing branded cookware.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
A nice basic YouTube channel for pretty straightforward recipes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC1tBQhqbcw

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mu Zeta posted:

It's pretty weird but also it's Jacques loving Pepin, so I'm assuming it's good even though it "shouldn't be" based on chili doctrine or whatever.

Casu Marzu posted:

That's exactly how I imagine an old French dude would make chili

Also this lol, the celery is what gives it away more than anything.

Flunky posted:

I like the one where he's making pork with V8 and he picks up the V8 and says something like "we're cooking with uh... this today" followed by a giant eyeroll

The best of his goofing around at home videos is him solving the "is a hot dog a sandwich?" question by making the hot dog into a spiral cut sandwich on an English muffin.

He seems to really like English muffins in general lol

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 1, 2021

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Those latest Pepin videos are just supposed to be for people who have never cooked before and now have to deal with quarantine and not being able to eat out anymore, he deliberately dumbs the stuff down to make it as accessible as possible for people who are only just now learning how to boil water.

Can't win em all, though, that chili does look pretty bad

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Stalizard posted:

Those latest Pepin videos are just supposed to be for people who have never cooked before and now have to deal with quarantine and not being able to eat out anymore, he deliberately dumbs the stuff down to make it as accessible as possible for people who are only just now learning how to boil water.

Can't win em all, though, that chili does look pretty bad

like, i'm sure it tastes fine in a certain sense, but it's also not at all what i would expect out of a chile con carne

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.
Since I know there are other people in this thread watching Top Chef. Spoilers for the final episode.

On one hand it sounds like Gabe's food was pretty amazing. It certainly looked great. Unfortunately, it sounds like he is a trash human being who was fired from his job for constant sexual harassment. Who knows if anything public will come out, but it is certainly a really disappointing way to end what was otherwise an amazing season.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Food network doesn't have a baking competition right now and there is no one for me to shake my head at for omitting obligatory toasting of nuts.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I'm a huge Pepin stan but he's really just not the guy for anything that Americans have endless regional slapfights over like chili or barbecue.

Some of the cooking at home is literally him using whatever is in his kitchen at the time.

"I will use... I have *pause* an old mushroom here, so that's fine."

Also he made a batch of Fromage Fort and threw a Kraft single in the mix and was like :dealwithit:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Screaming_Gremlin posted:

Since I know there are other people in this thread watching Top Chef. Spoilers for the final episode.

On one hand it sounds like Gabe's food was pretty amazing. It certainly looked great. Unfortunately, it sounds like he is a trash human being who was fired from his job for constant sexual harassment. Who knows if anything public will come out, but it is certainly a really disappointing way to end what was otherwise an amazing season.

yeah there are a bunch of stories about allegations against gabe in the last few hours

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Food network doesn't have a baking competition right now and there is no one for me to shake my head at for omitting obligatory toasting of nuts.
Someone toasted the nuts in a carrot cake on one of those shows and two of the judges hated it. Only Carla appreciated it and seemed kinda confused about why the other two didn't like it. They really glossed over it though cause her cake was otherwise atrocious.

Sometimes I really wonder about the judges tastes.

I just want to watch someone try to make a cake that has no way to bake and cool again. Watching icing melt while they frantically throw decorations on it only to have them drip back off is probably one of my favorite TV things.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 2, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

fizzymercury posted:

Watching icing melt while they frantically throw decorations on it only to have them drip back off is probably one of my favorite TV things.

Ooh ooh, mine is watching professional chefs intently reading the instructions on easy cook stuff because they’ve never had to deal with it before.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Screaming_Gremlin posted:

This really deflated what was an otherwise good season. I was really happy to see Gabe win and a couple hours later I saw statements from Padma and Gregory about the allegations of harassment. Alas it’s unsurprising that a male head chef did stuff like that considering how restaurant culture has been over the last… ever, they probably can’t take the title back but I suspect he’ll not be invited back as other past winners have been.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Speaking of Padma and Gregory... are they getting him ready to take over Tom's spot? Tom seemed a lot less involved this season.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

It's possible that Tom left more room for the all star judges on the main show. He's got Last Chance Kitchen going on.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
I was delighted to watch some of Kenji's GoPro vids all the way through, as I find him charming and a good recipe writer, until he fed his DOG a piece of the biscuits and gravy he just made USING HIS OWN FORK and then TOOK ANOTHER BITE HIMSELF :barf:

mystes
May 31, 2006

snailshell posted:

I was delighted to watch some of Kenji's GoPro vids all the way through, as I find him charming and a good recipe writer, until he fed his DOG a piece of the biscuits and gravy he just made USING HIS OWN FORK and then TOOK ANOTHER BITE HIMSELF :barf:
Half the fun of his POV cooking videos is him doing stuff like this or putting a utensil in his sink and then taking it out and using it again without cleaning it and then ending up spending the entire next video arguing with the commenters about how his sink is totally clean so it's okay.

I actually think it's funny to see stuff like this compared to normal cooking videos where it's extremely carefully edited and they would never in a million years show anything like this.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw an article calling this "Peak White Woman television" but I really want to watch it. Never heard of this restaurant but the only way to make reservations is to mail in a postcard to enter a lottery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzGPE3jWzEc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbfsckxsRV0

At the beginning of this one he pinches salt with his hands that have raw meat juice on them, which seems unsanitary at worst and like it would cause gross clumps at best