Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

meatpimp posted:

My first thought is bad respray under clear. That pattern doesn't match anything I've seen in the wild.

I'm pretty sure it's a smear of some kind and not this, as I'm relatively certain it was not on the car when I got it. We shall see, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Before you bust out the DA, just put a dab of polish on a microfiber towel and work it into a small spot with your finger. I bet it comes right up.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

opengl128 posted:

Before you bust out the DA, just put a dab of polish on a microfiber towel and work it into a small spot with your finger. I bet it comes right up.

Good tip, I'll try that. Thanks.

Edit: looks like that did the trick. Now to worry about the bumper fitment…

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 4, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

willroc7 posted:

Any ideas what I’m dealing with here or how best to remove it? I tried a simple wash and clay bar has not taken it up. I have a DA polisher if necessary but hoping to avoid that at this point if possible.

Looks like some kind of rub or transfer? I'm not sure why you're hesitant to hit it with the DA. You can start with the polish and work down to compound if you need.

Edit, I didn't realize there was a new page!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey, poking my nose in from CA. I have a couple of questions about paint repairs I want to do to the tank of my motorcycle.

A couple years ago, my other bike blew over on top of this one in a windstorm and scraped the paint. I tried repairing it with some color-matched touch up paint, in a brush/pen applicator. The primer and color went on ok, but the clearcoat they provided (also brushed on) smeared up the color. Both the touch-up color and the clearcoat were urethane based. Is that smearing a thing that can happen when brushing urethane onto urethane? Would I have been better served with a spray clearcoat?

The main repair I want to do as soon as possible is, I managed to rub off a small patch of the painted purple stripe on the side, just with the knee of my leathers, revealing the green underneath. I'm planning on using some touchup paint there and then clearcoating over it to give it some thickness back. Then possibly getting a protective clear film wrap for where my knees go. Does that sound reasonable? What kind of clearcoat should I be looking at? I'm not fussy about having the paint be an exact match, as much as I love this bike it's never gonna be concours grade.

If that all works out, I also plan on addressing my old fuckup with a little sanding and some spray color-matched paint and clearcoat. It's either that or slap a sticker of Yoshi over top of it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

God dammit.

So I found a guy on Yelp to detail my car and remove the scratches for $100. Guy was a college kid and does this as a part-time job.

It turned out loving amazing. He knocked out all the scratches. I gave him a tip because he was at least $100 cheaper than anyone else because they wanted to all charge an extra $150 for scratch removal.

Then a loving thunderstorm popped out of nowhere like 20 minutes after he left.

Anyways, I do not have a ton of time but I’d like to try doing my wife’s car now. He’ll do the interior and exterior for $200 which is a bargain, but I’m kinda thinking about buying the stuff myself.

From the OP and what I’ve read, I’d get a HF Bauer buffer (on sale for $60 now-does it go cheaper?), a synthetic clay bar mitt, and some meguirs ultimate compound and polish.

I’ve always used an absorber (fake chamois) to dry my cars, but I guess microfiber is better for some reason?

What about pads? And do I need a wax to put on top of the polish?

I could realistically commit to doing a buff and wax once every 6 months, is that too long? Do I even need to buff with compound and polish that much?

I’ll probably wash my car once a month.

If that all screams bad idea to anyone-then just tell me to pay the kid and move on with my life.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Polishing or compound is to remove scratches, coating / sealant / wax are for protection once the surface is free of scratches. My personal approach is polishing every year or two, Optimum coating after polish, synthetic clay as needed, wash with spray wax or Bead Maker as a drying aid.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Side note -- I use an Absorber for secondary trying. For primary getting-the-water-off, I use a 12" silicone squeegee. The two in combination work great for me.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

One other question:

My wife’s RAV4 has a lot of black plastic trim that is getting destroyed by the sun. Is 303 going to be my best bet?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

nwin posted:

One other question:

My wife’s RAV4 has a lot of black plastic trim that is getting destroyed by the sun. Is 303 going to be my best bet?

I just picked up Cerakote wipes for my wife's RAV4 black plastic trim. I'll post a trip report when I get around to it.

303 looks good for a couple days but doesn't hold up to water well. I tried to Griot's 3-in-1 ceramic on it and worked awhile longer but still didn't hold super well.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I don't have a suggestion in what to use for the exterior but 303 is far better at the interior jobs. For that it is the best imho.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

LeeMajors posted:

I just picked up Cerakote wipes for my wife's RAV4 black plastic trim. I'll post a trip report when I get around to it.

Cerakote for black trim is transformative. Nothing else compares, period. By far the most significant product for car care I've seen in 5 years.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Would those Cerekote trim wipes be good to use preemptively before your trim looks bad? I'm assuming it will help protect from UV damage and all that?

Similarly, I was wondering what I should use (if anything) to keep black powder-coated aluminum and steel items on my truck looking good. The aluminum is a roof rack so it doesn't matter if it's slippery, but the steel is my rock sliders that double as a step so I don't really want them to be slippery. The sliders are going to get scratched up and sprayed black anyway so I guess that's not as important, but if there was something decent to put on there that wasn't shiny / slippery then I'd give it a shot for now.

I'm going to be out of town for a while so I figured it was time to wash my truck and give it some protection. After I washed it I applied Collinite 845 wax, I can't remember if I actually have to let it cure 8 hrs after wiping it off or not before I go to the next step but it was so hot I used that as an excuse. Tomorrow I'll put on two coats of P&S Beadmaker, last time I did this I remember the truck was blindingly reflective (it's white). There may be better combos out there now but I still have most of a bottle of Collinite 845 and a full bottle of Beadmaker so I'll stick with this until I run out of everything.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Timely discussion because my new job has an outdoor parking lot with little shade and brutal sun. I was planning to tint the windows and also looking at those cerakote wipes for exterior trim and the 303 for interior so it's good to hear that those seem to be recommended.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MomJeans420 posted:

Would those Cerekote trim wipes be good to use preemptively before your trim looks bad? I'm assuming it will help protect from UV damage and all that?

It is especially good for preemptive use... it gives the most perfect satin glow to the plastic. I have always hated black plastic because of the way it never looked "right." Cerakote makes it look right.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I have them arriving on Monday so I'll give them a shot. I always think of Cerakote as how you make guns look cool, I didn't know they made any car accessories.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

I have them arriving on Monday so I'll give them a shot. I always think of Cerakote as how you make guns look cool, I didn't know they made any car accessories.

Somehow they've got this kit and a headlight restoration kit that seem to be the current absolute best of class.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Not sure if this is strictly detailing but what's the best thing to use on sunroof seals?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

dissss posted:

Not sure if this is strictly detailing but what's the best thing to use on sunroof seals?

I use Zymol Seal, but I think it's just glycerine with a bit of fragrance.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Motronic posted:

Somehow they've got this kit and a headlight restoration kit that seem to be the current absolute best of class.

and I just learned why Cerakote starts with "cera," I hadn't really thought of it before but it makes sense.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Pee meatpimps Rex, I used cerakote today. Unused the wipes and it was tedious and frustrating. If they have it in liquid I think I would much prefer. It did wonders though on my window sills where it says Turbo on my Bongo van I would have never put my bumper shine on there. I do t think this was a good one to start because most of the trim is actually gray and it did shine it. I used most of the box of wipes on one vehicle. Was really hoping for absolute miracle I will use these in the future but to maintain a fleet of stuff I think I’ll just do the quick and dirty silicone sprays.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
If you are looking for a liquid for bumpers and trim I stand by Solution Finish.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Don’t get me wrong Cerakote is very good, made the gray geill trim super nice and satiny. But I used most of the $20+ box of wipes on this one vehicle.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Just used it on the rav4. Looks good now curious to see how it cures.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What’s the difference between compound and polishing something to remove a scratch versus buying a kit like this:

Meguiar's G190200 Quik Scratch Eraser Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WVL7YSG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_PQX8W1X423X6YDQX6DHS

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ok, scratch all that, I picked up some color-matched paint locally and going to give it a try.

I have a different problem now, although same bike: an old bumper sticker-type decal has started to flake and peel off, but the PO stuck it to a stripe on the tank that is a decal, not paint. I'm worried about loving up the stripe that's supposed to be there if I do the usual hairdryer and credit card/dental floss removal method. Any suggestions? Is this the right thread to be asking?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

nwin posted:

What’s the difference between compound and polishing something to remove a scratch versus buying a kit like this:

Meguiar's G190200 Quik Scratch Eraser Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WVL7YSG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_PQX8W1X423X6YDQX6DHS
im pretty sure its just the grit level. I got my moto a little sideways and scuffed up the plastic something awful and between actual brillo pads and scratch x 2.0 and a half rear end clear coat spray followed with more polishing with the ultimate compound and then a wax i actually got it to look not horrible, or at least like i didnt just spill the bike.

any ways i had access to both scratch x 2.0 and the ultimate compound and the scratch x 2.0 is definitely more aggressive but both are very similar. the ultimate compound smells like cinnamon.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

bought a dual action polisher yesterday on sale and going to do a full detail on the GF's 2nd gen red toyota matrix. the car is filthy. its literally never been washed since she bought it in february and its been on many camping trips and drives to the dog park with the dog in the back. such a useful car but needs some TLC.

its been a while since ive actually done a car detail but i have all the stuff from when i owned a rocco 16v back in the day

if anything i learned from owning that car is how to do a detail, but using the DA polisher is going to be new to me. ill make sure to take before and after pics.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i am now tired of looking at the color red.

the door panes on the matrix are a huge no mans land, but the car looks good, did a clay bar as well so it took 4+ hours altogether along with doing the plastic trim, wheels, and windows. going to do the interior another day. might go at the hood again another day, some nasty swirl still remains. tons of rock chips.

the DA polisher was easy enough to get used to, definitely saves some time with the compound + polish. didnt use it for waxing though, felt like it would have taken more time compared to just doing it by hand. ill try it next time but i was a bit done by the end.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 4, 2021

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Expect rain tomorrow.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I can wash my car in the middle of the summer during a drought year and I guarantee it will rain the next day

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

I can wash my car in the middle of the summer during a drought year and I guarantee it will rain the next day

Amen

Edit:
When I was moving from Michigan to Los Angeles we took the long route and took basically the old route 56. I stopped and washed the car in Kansas because of bugmaggedon on my front bumper. Not a single cloud in the sky. 10 miles down the road the sky turned green and I immediately pulled over under the nearest overpass. A huge rainstorm hit with hail and a crazy amount of lightning. Absolutely ridiculous.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 7, 2021

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

MomJeans420 posted:

Affectionately referred to as the modern day rain dance.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My modern day rain dance is making plans to go on a hike :negative:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
It's been nice all week and. I'm just waiting for my ride to go pick up my Tacoma that spent the week getting covered with paint protection film and a ceramic coat on it. Now they're calling for thunderstorms later today.

Fffffffuuuuuuuccccckkkkk!!!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Welp, just heard some thunder, and here are some pics.
As I've admitted before, I'm an awful photographer, so the lighting and whatnot is probably bullshit, but here it is.
Its a lot shinier in person than it probably looks in the pictures.

E:

Oh yeah, that fuckin rain is coming down.

7200 bucks fuckin getting poured on.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Agreed, that's a large portion of another vehicle lmao

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Coverage is bumper to bumper. Top of the roof to the bottom of the rocker panels. Plus a "three year" ceramic coating. That's 13% taxes included. Shop has an excellent reputation. Quality costs money

E: I plan on keeping this thing for a long time. Plus I gotta protect the finish from all that pussy shrapnel :v:

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I mean, I kind of get it. What would a new paint job cost on something that size? That and I imagine it provides extra protection from rust, albeit not on the undercarriage.

That said I am no stranger to spending more than a car is worth on repairs/maintenance so I might not be a voice of reason.