Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

meat glitter posted:

they're sticky you stick them on stuff!! giftwrap, notes and letters, labels, use it to get cat hair off your clothes, journaling spreads...if you go on instagram or w/e and search bujo you'll see a lot of washi tape getting mileage

jetpens has been said but you can sometimes find cool stuff at smaller stationary stores like yoseka https://yosekastationery.com/collections/washi-tape or niconeco https://www.niconeco.com/collections/washi-tapes

and so this is not off topic these places also usually sell more common fountain pens n stuff https://yosekastationery.com/collections/fountain-pen https://www.niconeco.com/collections/fountain-pen-inks

I like Yoseka. Picked up a 2mm rOtring 800 from them recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Xun posted:

Dumb question but what is the purpose of washi tape? I've seen tons of cute photos of peoples collections and sales photos but I'm not rally sure how they're supposed to be used?

You are asking this in the fountain pen thread where people own more pens than they can reasonably use at the same time.
Anyway, the reason I own washi tape is because buying washi tape is fun, it looks cool on my desk in the dispenser I got from Galen and I do quite a bit of snail mailing to people and there is always room for washi tape on anything you send out.

Some watercolor youtubers use it instead of masking tape but it did not work as well as "real" masking / painters tape but admittedly, it looked nice on screen.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Xun posted:

Dumb question but what is the purpose of washi tape? I've seen tons of cute photos of peoples collections and sales photos but I'm not rally sure how they're supposed to be used?

meat glitter posted:

they're sticky you stick them on stuff!! giftwrap, notes and letters, labels, use it to get cat hair off your clothes, journaling spreads...if you go on instagram or w/e and search bujo you'll see a lot of washi tape getting mileage

"bujo" here isn't a japanese word, it's short for "bullet journal" which is uh a thing

there's a sort of scrapbooking element in the fountain penning culture? and fancy masking tape is part of it? it's fine.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Bullet Journaling is one of those things that I like in concept but it has mostly been morphed by the social media machine from "a tool to help you organize your poo poo" to "another thing to spend unbelievable amounts of time on"

If you actually zoom in and read the to-do lists on these super decked out pages they're often really straining to find things to put in these journals, like they'll itemize every email they are supposed to respond to or something, and then each page clearly took many hours to decorate

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Heath posted:

Bullet Journaling is one of those things that I like in concept but it has mostly been morphed by the social media machine from "a tool to help you organize your poo poo" to "another thing to spend unbelievable amounts of time on"

If you actually zoom in and read the to-do lists on these super decked out pages they're often really straining to find things to put in these journals, like they'll itemize every email they are supposed to respond to or something, and then each page clearly took many hours to decorate

yeah bullet journals are a chore from start to finish but it made fancy masking tape readily available and I can live with that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Keetron posted:

Some watercolor youtubers use it instead of masking tape but it did not work as well as "real" masking / painters tape but admittedly, it looked nice on screen.

Yeah, I've used washi tape instead of masking tape to hold watercolour paper in place, and it looks nice and comes off the paper easily, but it doesn't hold very well. Fun though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Okay, so it's kind of pretty even if I HATE IT BECAUSE IT'S NOT A DELTA

(also the nib was a complete mess)

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I use washi tape on my stationary at work to make in identifiable at a glance

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I've been using washi tape to seal the envelopes I put my rent cheque in as licking the envelope seems.... bad in light of our current situation. They don't go through the mail, I drop them off.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

This guide approaches bullet journaling in a much more pragmatic and minimal fashion, though even then it was still too much for me. Like, at some point the anxiety of missing things here and there outweighed the utility I got out of writing things down to remember for later, so I was never able to find a good balance with the bullet journal system

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I like bullet journaling when I have the brain power. 2020 got me back to my hybrid "have Google remind me" for future events and "rolling daily to-do list" for personal stuff, and work saw me add every single little thing to my Outlook calendar with another rolling to-do list.

I'm a little better now, having found a nice little A6 weekly planner so I can write down future stuff sometimes for my personal life, and an A4 notebook with calendar for work stuff for the same. Still a lot of stuff exists in Google and Microsoft as reminders and outlook events since I can talk to my phone and add them right at the moment.

Washi tape makes it all much more fun, so I do remember to look at my notebooks!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Teoh posted a review of a benu pen:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6rfm70QWbU

Something happened in my life and I wanted to share. But I filled up a pen with black swan in australian roses and started writing with it and it is ... pinkish purple with glitter? For some reason I expected it to be black with a reddish sheen. Do not get me wrong, it is a beautiful ink that is nice and smooth and rich, just different from my expectation.
Lesson learned: order ink and be surprised.
Another surprising thing is the extend to which noodler will go to be known as a cost-effective brand. The bottle was literally filled to the brim, there was only a really tiny drop of air in there, first I thought it was bubble and I tried popping it but no, completely filled bottle. Is this always the case?

Keetron fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 6, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yeah, completely full ink bottles are one of Noodlers' calling cards. You're paying for 3oz of ink, and by god that's what Nathan Tardiff is going to sell you.

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
Nathan Tardiff is completely insane, but in a way that makes him really great to buy things from.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Keetron posted:

Teoh posted a review of a benu pen:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6rfm70QWbU

Something happened in my life and I wanted to share. But I filled up a pen with black swan in australian roses and started writing with it and it is ... pinkish purple with glitter? For some reason I expected it to be black with a reddish sheen. Do not get me wrong, it is a beautiful ink that is nice and smooth and rich, just different from my expectation.
Lesson learned: order ink and be surprised.
Another surprising thing is the extend to which noodler will go to be known as a cost-effective brand. The bottle was literally filled to the brim, there was only a really tiny drop of air in there, first I thought it was bubble and I tried popping it but no, completely filled bottle. Is this always the case?

BSIAR shouldn't have glitter? Unless something really is different since the decade+ that I last bought it.

The rest is quite true! Noodler ink bottles are always opened over a towel with myself in an apron until the reach reasonable ink levels.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's probably not glitter but is among that class of inks that gets the greenish sheen if you layer it on thick enough. Iroshizuku Yama-Budo has a similar color and also sheens like that

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

It really looks like glitter in the pen, it could be residual from a previous ink but that would make a lot of residual glitter. I'll keep ya'll updated on the state of glitter as I can see this ink being a regular.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Scary couple of weeks there, but I did in fact purchase July's Delta today. Thank god

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

grack posted:

Scary couple of weeks there, but I did in fact purchase July's Delta today. Thank god

(squinting at post date)

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I'm sure he means "the one that'll come in July."

Incidentally, is there a way to (I guess) pull a slip cap down (besides like, a die/tap/bolt extractor or whatever)? This Wing Sung 308 is all very nice, except the cap doesn't actually stay on. Presumably the slip cap is too far up in the cap for it to grab onto where it's meant to (although looking in, it seems to be entirely smooth so I'm not sure how that's meant to actually work), which is somewhat annoying.

f.e. Does noodler's even make glitter inks? That doesn't seem like the sort of gimmick that'd interest the man, unless he could somehow work in glitter that shows up under UV lamps or something.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Noodler's doesn't make glitter inks to my knowledge, but Noodler's is such a wide world of weird poo poo that it's entirely possible that he has in the past. I spent a while trying to hunt down a bottle of his White Peacock ink, but he hasn't made it in years.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Nathan would add glitter in a cocaine heartbeat if it somehow made the ink more laser proof.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Nathan seems like he'd be against any kind of gimmicks in his ink unless it can theoretically protect him from the government.

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021

Heath posted:

I spent a while trying to hunt down a bottle of his White Peacock ink, but he hasn't made it in years.

Did you ever try contacting him directly to place a custom order? I know he makes gallon jugs of ink for people on request, or at least he used to.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
He might, but I'm not that invested in getting some. I am gonna guess that if he stopped producing a well-reviewed and uniquely colored ink that it was either expensive, toxic, or both

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Got a Wancher World Tree yesterday and inked it up with some Ink Institute Tanghulu, which might be my new favorite red ink.

It's like writing with liquid strawberries :3:

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

Chip McFuck posted:

Got a Wancher World Tree yesterday and inked it up with some Ink Institute Tanghulu, which might be my new favorite red ink.

oh wild i also just got a new pen (sport sport sport sport) that is red with a fruit themed ink

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Hell yeah fruit ink crew :hfive:

Speaking of inks, anyone have a recommendation for an ink with lots of interesting sheen but actually dries? I'm interested in things like the Organic Studio Nitrogen, but I read it can smear days later and thats something I definitely don't want.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Chip McFuck posted:

Holy poo poo. A wancher pen that looks amazing and is actually... affordable.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Chip McFuck posted:

Hell yeah fruit ink crew :hfive:

Speaking of inks, anyone have a recommendation for an ink with lots of interesting sheen but actually dries? I'm interested in things like the Organic Studio Nitrogen, but I read it can smear days later and thats something I definitely don't want.

Define interesting :v: I'm using diamine arctic blue right now and I find that it sheens between blue/red pretty well. It's also got sparkles, I like it a lot!

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Hmm, thats a good question! Really I'm just looking to add a neat ink to add to my collection. The only requirement is that it doesn't smear months later.

Thanks for the rec, I'll check it out!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Chip McFuck posted:

Because of reasons related to insanity, I own a lot of diamine sheen and shimmer inks, they do not seem to smear at all after a few minutes. A wet finger will smear just fine as goes for just about all dye based inks but a dry finger is fine. What color are you looking for?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Chip McFuck posted:

Hmm, thats a good question! Really I'm just looking to add a neat ink to add to my collection. The only requirement is that it doesn't smear months later.
I haven't had any smearing issues with Emerald of Chivor, but also I haven't really used it broadly enough to get the sheen to be super obvious.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Chip McFuck posted:

Thanks for the rec, I'll check it out!

Just flipping through my currently inked journal and if I was just going to suggest one ink it would be Taccia Ukiyo-e Hokusai Saibimidori. It's an interesting shade of green that sheens red pretty easily, but is also better behaved than an Organics Studio.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Robert Oster Fire and Ice is a turquoise that sheens pretty well, and their Peppermint does have some too. Not Organics Studio levels, but nice enough for an accent.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Theres that Kwz(?) Sheen Machine ink though it looks a lot like nitrogen, iirc. Not necessarily a sheen thing but a lot of the Sailor Studio inks have interesting effects when dried.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Keetron posted:

Because of reasons related to insanity, I own a lot of diamine sheen and shimmer inks, they do not seem to smear at all after a few minutes. A wet finger will smear just fine as goes for just about all dye based inks but a dry finger is fine. What color are you looking for?

Cool, ill check out what Diamine has to offer! I guess I'm looking for a blue or green, but honestly my options are pretty open. There's just so much ink out there I'm not aware of so I'd rather pick up something interesting than a color I always go for!

And thanks for the recommendations, everyone!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Chip McFuck posted:

Cool, ill check out what Diamine has to offer! I guess I'm looking for a blue or green, but honestly my options are pretty open. There's just so much ink out there I'm not aware of so I'd rather pick up something interesting than a color I always go for!

And thanks for the recommendations, everyone!

Yeah, I meant in general "color" as in green or blue or red, you do not need to try and guess what specific ones I have in my house :creepy:
I'll go and try to find 2ml vials for sale locally and you send me your address in a PM, ok?

edit: I found what I was looking for, 3ml vials, in bulk on the cheap. however due to holidays I will only be able to send something out second half of August, I hope you do not mind.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 13, 2021

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Keetron posted:

Yeah, I meant in general "color" as in green or blue or red, you do not need to try and guess what specific ones I have in my house :creepy:
I'll go and try to find 2ml vials for sale locally and you send me your address in a PM, ok?

edit: I found what I was looking for, 3ml vials, in bulk on the cheap. however due to holidays I will only be able to send something out second half of August, I hope you do not mind.

Where is this magical place of inks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Chip McFuck posted:

Cool, ill check out what Diamine has to offer! I guess I'm looking for a blue or green, but honestly my options are pretty open.

Shimmering Seas, maybe?