Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

I noticed Windlands 1 was only 2€ on Steam, so I bought it. FYI

Man after hours in Alyx and just finishing Into the Radius, I figured I had some good VR legs.

Holy gently caress I do not, not for this kinda game, god drat.

Edit: What a lovely snipe. Into the radius was loving fantastic though. By the end I was such a packrat that I had the shelves in the base full of weapons I was never going to use like some sort of crazy person. The game got a lot better/easier once I realized two things:

You can carry ammo boxes in your left-side pouch
Bringing a ramrod/towels with you is the best loving investment in yourself.

DelphiAegis fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Broose posted:

Yeah. I assumed something like pushing it down or lifting it up, but it doesn't wanna move at all like that either. Which is why I am so confused by it.

Edit: Found out while nearly breaking them pushing down. Gotta push the metal bit INWARDS toward the buttons. Couldn't see that happening in the tiny video for ants.

I felt the same way when I first got my index, seems asking for problems that they haven't changed it since.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What do you guys do for "headset hygiene"?

After about an hour of Beat Saber I am sweating my rear end off in this summer heat 🥵

I just remove the liner on the index, wipe it down with a paper towel and now I'm just gonna let it sit on front of window fan all night. Seems fine? But also I wonder how it'll be in a month or two or three...

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Sab669 posted:

After about an hour of Beat Saber I am sweating my rear end off in this summer heat 🥵

I just remove the liner on the index, wipe it down with a paper towel and now I'm just gonna let it sit on front of window fan all night. Seems fine? But also I wonder how it'll be in a month or two or three...

The foam will never be clean. You have to replace it all with the fake leather stuff from here: https://vrcover.com/

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sab669 posted:

I wash the entirely liner for my Index. I also bought another pack of two as well so I can rotate.
VR covers probably make just as much sense I suppose, but don't be afraid to handwash the Index visor liner thing.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I ended up ordering (edit: through Oculus’ free replacement set up) a new insert for my Quest 2 because it causes my wife’s forehead becomes bright red after wearing it. My daughters call it the “O” forehead.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 5, 2021

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
The vr mod for risk of rain 2 definitely turns a game I found very uninteresting to a really fun game. Would recommend.
Since fallout 4 was on sale, I finally bought the dlc. The wabbajack vr essentials mod needs all of them to work. I also just wanted to try far harbor in vr, since it's supposed to be good. With poo poo internet, it took many days to install around 240 mods. Just having the nights be darker adds so much to the game. I still can't deal with meleeing rad roaches in the beginning. It's a horrible feeling.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Sab669 posted:

Good luck really cleaning the rear pad.

I resorted to bagging and taping up my headset outside of that area and literally washing it in the sink. Theres no easy way to remove it and it gets loving gross fast.

99% alcohol after every use can slow it down but eventually it needs really cleaned.

One of my biggest gripes.

The actual interface things? Meh sink with soap and water, they are cheap for replacements.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Disposable sweat cover superhero masks: https://www.amazon.com/Kaizen-Spirit-VR-Disposable-Sanitary/dp/B07THCRC1L

$23 for 100 of em

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I ended up ordering a new insert for my Quest 2 because it causes my wife’s forehead becomes bright red after wearing it. My daughters call it the “O” forehead.

Have you seen of you can apply for the free vrcover replacement?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Half a year ago or so? I did some attempt to compare Quest vs Steam reviews to determine the true size of the VR market. This is the second attempt:

I saw there were five games with simultaneous Quest/pc releases in the last two months, so I wrote down their review numbers. This is, actual written reviews, not number of people who just clicked on '4 start' ratings (although lot of times the review are one sentence ):

A rogue escape 14 vs 27
Larcenauats 80 vs 284
Eternal starlight 12 vs 85
Demeo 638 vs 1220
Star wars pinball 94 vs 309
[blah blah]

As addendum, I will say the Oculus pc store is totally dying. Before it was obviously a fraction of the Steam store, but now I think the difference is bigger. Adding their numbers at the end:

A rogue escape 14 vs 27 vs 1
Larcenauats 80 vs 284 vs 19
Eternal starlight 12 vs 85 vs 1
Demeo 638 vs 1220 vs 2 ok this was added one week ago on the pc store but still, bad if they only get 2 reviews in 7 days for Demeo.

I guess it makes sense, with them abandoning the Rift/Rift S.

edit: OH look, like pottery
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/oe1lvp/rifts_is_no_longer_listed_as_available_on_the/

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 5, 2021

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Turin Turambar posted:

Have you seen of you can apply for the free vrcover replacement?

Editing my previous comment because that is what I meant.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sab669 posted:

I have something like this for the quest and it’s both very comfortable and completely blocks any and all sweat

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B7YTGR8/

I’ve also head the name kiwi designs mentioned in this thread so I’m guessing a perforated leather one like this is probably also good?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LNBYCN1/

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 5, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm fooling around again with the Smash Drums demo and man, drumming is harder than I thought. I have big problems varying the strength of the hit differently for each hand. I can hit both strong, I can hit both lightly, but left lightly and right strong is hard....

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
So what are the recs for getting better performance on airlink? I saw some mentions of a wifi booster helping? I played Alyx for a bit and it was really cool, I'd love to sink my teeth into it more, but janky VR is really no way to experience it.

Just to make sure - if I'm turning my head and the FOV takes a while to catch up so Im guessing that's 100% a latency issue, right? I figured delayed actions = latency but I just want to be sure.

Edit, weirdly enough I was having a relatively smooth experience with airlink until Alyx. Are latency issues magnified by higher PC requirements by any chance?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, that is absolutely a latency issue. In the Link UI, press the left most option (where you quit AirLink), and try setting it at a fixed bitrate. Start as low as possible (10Mb), and if that seems to clear it up, experiment until everything is both smooth and acceptably good looking, then stop there.

If picture quality is still an issue, try increasing the device resolution in the Oculus desktop app to 1.2 or 1.5 times; as long as your PC is capable of displaying it then that shouldn't affect latency over AirLink, but you're leaving picture quality on the table at 1x res.

I'm assuming this is Quest 2 if you're on AirLink.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I got Skyrim VR set up to a point where I'm actually playing the game and it really does kick rear end. Doing archery poo poo and sword/shield combat is super loving cool. It did lead me to an issue with the Quest 2 itself disconnecting from Wifi. Turns out this is a known issue if your dual/tri-band router has smart connect enabled. So I had to disable do and redo my entirely wireless network so now the Quest 2 sits by itself on the faster 5gh channel and everything else shares the other 5ghz channel (with some smart home stuff on the 2.4). Went back into Skyrim and sure enough I now longer have random disconnects. Just did an hour long session where I cleared some mines and got spell wheel working and I'm now ready to play even more. Quality via AirLink is fantastic and the only quality drop I notice rarely I honestly can't tell if it's the game doing something / misloading in the distance or if it's the VR stream itself.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I got Skyrim VR set up to a point where I'm actually playing the game and it really does kick rear end. Doing archery poo poo and sword/shield combat is super loving cool. It did lead me to an issue with the Quest 2 itself disconnecting from Wifi. Turns out this is a known issue if your dual/tri-band router has smart connect enabled. So I had to disable do and redo my entirely wireless network so now the Quest 2 sits by itself on the faster 5gh channel and everything else shares the other 5ghz channel (with some smart home stuff on the 2.4). Went back into Skyrim and sure enough I now longer have random disconnects. Just did an hour long session where I cleared some mines and got spell wheel working and I'm now ready to play even more. Quality via AirLink is fantastic and the only quality drop I notice rarely I honestly can't tell if it's the game doing something / misloading in the distance or if it's the VR stream itself.

Once you jump through all the hoops and get it going, it really is pretty amazing. If you're using Airlink (this doesn't work through Virtual Desktop afaik), one thing you can do for a decent performance boost is to use OpenComposite to bypass SteamVR. Basically just download the dll here (direct link) and dump it in your SteamVR directory. Backup the openvr_api.dll that's already there first, just in case this doesn't work or you want to revert and run it through VD instead or something.

If it's running great for you, you may not want to bother. My poor old computer was struggling a little in certain dense areas with all my graphic upgrade mods and also bogging down bad with script heavy things like the autosort in Legacy of the Dragonborn's museum, and this helped it quite a bit. You also don't have to wait for SteamVR to initialize/shut down when you open and close the game, which is a small quality of life thing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Communist Toast posted:

So what are the recs for getting better performance on airlink? I saw some mentions of a wifi booster helping? I played Alyx for a bit and it was really cool, I'd love to sink my teeth into it more, but janky VR is really no way to experience it.

Just to make sure - if I'm turning my head and the FOV takes a while to catch up so Im guessing that's 100% a latency issue, right? I figured delayed actions = latency but I just want to be sure.

Edit, weirdly enough I was having a relatively smooth experience with airlink until Alyx. Are latency issues magnified by higher PC requirements by any chance?

Ideally what you want is a dedicated access point within 10 feet or so of your headset. It should be on the same LAN as your PC or even hooked right to it over Ethernet

The hot ticket seems to be this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079JD7F7G/

I have one and multiple posters in this thread do as well and it’s been great

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

StarkRavingMad posted:

Once you jump through all the hoops and get it going, it really is pretty amazing. If you're using Airlink (this doesn't work through Virtual Desktop afaik), one thing you can do for a decent performance boost is to use OpenComposite to bypass SteamVR. Basically just download the dll here (direct link) and dump it in your SteamVR directory. Backup the openvr_api.dll that's already there first, just in case this doesn't work or you want to revert and run it through VD instead or something.

If it's running great for you, you may not want to bother. My poor old computer was struggling a little in certain dense areas with all my graphic upgrade mods and also bogging down bad with script heavy things like the autosort in Legacy of the Dragonborn's museum, and this helped it quite a bit. You also don't have to wait for SteamVR to initialize/shut down when you open and close the game, which is a small quality of life thing.

This owns and works perfectly. Thanks!

EDIT: run into another issue. I cannot trigger / use shouts at all no matter how I try to use them.
EDIT2: figured it out it was the voice stuff messing things up.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 5, 2021

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Finally started playing Alyx tonight. A barnacle stole my hard hat!

The past few weeks, I've had a lot of stuttering playing over wifi. I'm going to try playing with a dedicated router. What's the current recommendation?

And apparently this is going to have VR support:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEVrdwZ9bEk

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I got Skyrim VR set up to a point where I'm actually playing the game and it really does kick rear end. Doing archery poo poo and sword/shield combat is super loving cool.
I picked it up in the steam sale, thinking $15 would still be worth it to mess around for a few hours before I got bored with it. Now I'm 30-something hours in...

After you spend a million hours modding it--adding VRIK (if just for the holsters), HIGGS, Scoped Bows, lighting mods to make torches required in dungeons, skyui/etc.--it's actually a pretty solid VR game. It's still Skyrim, with all that entails, but it's so much better than I was expecting.

It's also the first game I've tried without using teleporting movement outside of Hover Junkers and flight sims, and I've been surprised how easy it's been to handle. I still have to use snap turns (I can't really physically turn around in my current space and continuous turns are still nauseating), but the movement otherwise is great.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'd totally pay for a mod that takes skyrim and just makes it a different area with new dungeons and stuff to explore. Dungeon exploring is a whole new thing in VR

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ideally what you want is a dedicated access point within 10 feet or so of your headset. It should be on the same LAN as your PC or even hooked right to it over Ethernet

The hot ticket seems to be this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079JD7F7G/

I have one and multiple posters in this thread do as well and it’s been great

I have a TP Link Archer VR900 which has been working just great for airlink / virtual desktop. The big thing is that it's in the same room I use for VR, using the 5Ghz channel for my headset (which isn't completely dedicated, but not particularly busy) and my PC is connected with a high speed powerline connection. Ideally it'd be ethernet but I'm not yet at the point of running CAT6 in my walls.

I would definitely try to address any issues with the physical space before getting a new router etc otherwise you might end up spending money only to run straight into the same limitations.

Edit: oh yeah check if your existing router has any network traffic prioritisation options. Generally newer ones are pretty good at handling that without intervention but putting PC and Quest at top priority might help things

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 6, 2021

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I recently had to get a 50' ethernet cable and move the dedicated router I use for Virtual Destktop into my room. Worked fine from downstairs until a neighbor got a new router which is hogging the channel bandwidth :argh: (there's really only two channels for 80Mhz width, and my main router is on the other one).

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Leal posted:

I'd totally pay for a mod that takes skyrim and just makes it a different area with new dungeons and stuff to explore. Dungeon exploring is a whole new thing in VR

There's a bunch of worldspace mods that are at least worth trying, not all of them are that great but it definitely helps a lot.

Beyond Reach, Beyond Skyrim, Falskaar, Moonpath to Elsweyr, Maids 2, etc.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Professor Wayne posted:

The past few weeks, I've had a lot of stuttering playing over wifi. I'm going to try playing with a dedicated router. What's the current recommendation?

Two posts above yours :)

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm fooling around again with the Smash Drums demo and man, drumming is harder than I thought. I have big problems varying the strength of the hit differently for each hand. I can hit both strong, I can hit both lightly, but left lightly and right strong is hard....

I saw your post and tried the demo. It's pretty good. I don't have a problem with the strength so much but I am having a really hard time with the lack of bounce. I can do the double hit drums alright but almost always miss the triples. Is there a trick?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Professor Wayne posted:

Finally started playing Alyx tonight. A barnacle stole my hard hat!

And apparently this is going to have VR support:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEVrdwZ9bEk

This guy right here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079JD7F7G/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Party Boat posted:

I have a TP Link Archer VR900 which has been working just great for airlink / virtual desktop. The big thing is that it's in the same room I use for VR, using the 5Ghz channel for my headset (which isn't completely dedicated, but not particularly busy) and my PC is connected with a high speed powerline connection. Ideally it'd be ethernet but I'm not yet at the point of running CAT6 in my walls.

I would definitely try to address any issues with the physical space before getting a new router etc otherwise you might end up spending money only to run straight into the same limitations.

Edit: oh yeah check if your existing router has any network traffic prioritisation options. Generally newer ones are pretty good at handling that without intervention but putting PC and Quest at top priority might help things

Yeah I would say the biggest deal for running virtual desktop or Airlink goes in this order:

1) access point in the same room as you, ideally line of sight, ideally within 10 feet or so

2) 5GHZ only

3) No other devices on the access point, or QOS set up to give the quest top priority over everything else.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I run a 50' cat6 cable from the PC in my room and around the entire living room into the router for a direct connection and after my little wifi rearranging yesterday now the Quest 2 has its own 5ghz band. My play space is not in the same room as the router and I've not had any real issue with AirLink. It's worked great since the first day I tried it.

I'm actually pretty impressed how solid it's been this weekend. If you don't disable it (and leave the oculus app open / minimized) you can just throw the Quest 2 to sleep and it'll maintain the connection to the PC so when you pick it up and it's right where you left off.

I do need yet another fast charging brick since the one that came with the Quest seems pretty slow.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Shine posted:

Two posts above yours :)

Of course it was on this page. Thank you!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ultrawings 2 is coming.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
It's payday 2s vr any good? It's on sale for a buck right now

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Probably not but for a dollar why even ask lmao.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

It's incredible if you can get a crew together to play with. if you're going in solo just don't bother.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Payday 2 is fun in VR, sure, but at least from my experience I don't know if you'd have any idea what you were doing if you started in VR. I managed fine because I had hundreds of hours in the base game so I knew all the mechanics and just had to readjust to the new interface and perspective, but your mileage may vary. It's definitely a very different experience in VR vs. flatscreen.

I also have issues with the game hiccuping every now and then that I don't really get in any other game besides like Blade and Sorcery.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

King Vidiot posted:

Payday 2 is fun in VR, sure, but at least from my experience I don't know if you'd have any idea what you were doing if you started in VR. I managed fine because I had hundreds of hours in the base game so I knew all the mechanics and just had to readjust to the new interface and perspective, but your mileage may vary. It's definitely a very different experience in VR vs. flatscreen.

I also have issues with the game hiccuping every now and then that I don't really get in any other game besides like Blade and Sorcery.

Yeah this is a good point because I think we had 200+ hours of non-VR payday 2 logged in back in the day. I think VR or not Payday 2 is probably a pretty hard game to get into from nothing in 2021.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

It's much more arcadey than an actual VR shooter but it's still tons of fun and the fact that it's crossplay means that you will actually have people to play with no matter what you decide to do. I pretty much exclusively use the dual grimm shotguns and it's always a blast to shoot a million cops while zooming around. There's a decade worth of content to chew through and a lot of character building options to give you variety.

I play on Quest 2, had to download a third party steam VR settings mod to fix my in game height but after that it's been smooth sailing except for one map (Alesso Heist) that had some VR-only bugs (Can't use zipline to move bags to extract, can't get on top of forklift to place C4 charges.) e: Just remembered operating vehicles feels janky as hell too. To get out of a vehicle you have to look around until you can find the "leave vehicle" button floating around you.

VR players can do some borderline OP poo poo like interacting with objectives/ressurrecting players one handed while shooting with the other. Being able to sprint and still have teleport dash as an option lets you do some maneuvers flatscreen players might have trouble with as well, like "jumping" off the floor onto a stair railing onto another floor.

The game has not been updated for VR since 2018 so it comes with no native Index support. My Index having friend had a hard time figuring out the controls and wasn't able to use the teleport movement option since he installed the "VR improvements" mod without reading what it does first (imo it does not improve much of anything).

explosivo posted:

It's incredible if you can get a crew together to play with. if you're going in solo just don't bother.

I still think the game is fine with pick up groups, but I haven't played above Overkill difficulty which is easy for old players that know what they're doing.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

Ultrawings 2 is coming.

Yeeeeeeesssssssssss