Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Hakuho’s face after the throw was great. “A year of barely competing and that’s how I’m welcomed back? OK”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'll take 2-3, I guess, thank you Aoiyama.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I went 4-1, and the one loss was very unexpected, I mean look at this record:

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

3-2 was alright. At least today I'm guaranteed a win with Takanosho vs. Mitakeumi

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Teddybear posted:

I've got the makushita matches going in the background and someone in the chat brought up Shonanzakura, formerly Hattorizakura, and I've spent the last hour just falling down the rabbit hole on this guy. He's 179cm/5'10", he weighs 82kg/180lbs, and... He's bad. Very bad. So bad, in fact, that it's difficult for him to try to lose. No, really, here's day 3 of the September 2016 tournament, where the judges and gyoji just won't let him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiAI8fXBJoM

As of a few hours ago, he's fought in 236 matches. Let's take a quick look at his biggest wins: In May 2016 he semi-skillfully pivoted his opponent and walked him out of the ring; in July 2018 his opponent slipped a second after contact and fell down; and in January 2019 he won a match by yoritaoshi. (The first two links have links to youtube clips of the matches.)

Those are the biggest wins of his because they are, in fact, his only wins. He's 3-232-1. He set the record for most consecutive losses, 89 between his first and second wins, and then surpassed it with his current streak of 98 losses in a row-- including today, where he lost a match to literally the only person ranked below him on the banzuke. This will give you the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRGR92rBD_w

Apparently he really likes the sumo life and living in the stable, and the stablemaster is content to let him do it, so out he goes every two months to lose his matches. Is it a good idea for him, like, long-term? No, probably not. Will it be setting him up for massive problems when he eventually does leave sumo and have nothing to show for it? Yes, probably. Am I gonna keep an eye out for his matches every chance I get? You're goddamn right.

Follow-up! I found footage of his third win:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLZnTcQvgVY

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Teddybear posted:

Follow-up! I found footage of his third win:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLZnTcQvgVY

The crowd going wild at the end there ruled. Also the incredibly awkward tachiai reminded me of dancing at a high school formal "wait so my hand goes here, then yours goes there... ok cool I think we're good"

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Tochi :(

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
The quintessential Shonanzakura bout for me is always going to be when he was paired against Bariki, a guy who for some inexplicable reason tried to make a return to the dohyo after suffering a crippling back injury (he retired after another two tourneys). Surely the boy will be ok against an old man who visibly can't bend down or walk properly!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRvD7940p3w
Ah. Well. Nevertheless,

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lczn_efj00

She's Back!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Chinook posted:

Is it possible he comes back in like Aoiyama did in May?

Brut posted:

In theory, sure. In practice, with Takayasu's history of pulling out for this exact reason, he's probably out for the whole thing.

Welp, Takayasu is on the torikumi for day 3, he'll be fighting vs Ichinojo, battle of the bad backs.

Also I wanna see Ishizaki vs Hokuseiho in a Makushita playoff this basho.

Brut fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 5, 2021

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
3-2 is a p good start I just happened into sumo this year and now that there is a goonzuke I'm picking to win and I'm excited! Terutsuyoshi was my sentimental pick and I was glad to see salt bae pick up the W today

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

this should probably be must watch material for those who are newer to sumo and those that are not

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Not entirely sure what just happened with Enho/Takagenji. It looked like they were going to do a torinaoshi, but then called a second mono-ii and decided Enho was too injured to continue? He looked wobbly as hell, so I guess it's nice to see they're serious about not making concussed guys fight anymore despite being a bummer of an outcome.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Honestly, one of the best opening days we've seen in a while in terms of great matches on the clay. Hokutofuji vs. Wakatakakage was totally mental, and it's great to see Hak bring some power during his swan song. Also I don't mind going 4-1 to start a basho.

For fantasy, I'm currently taking the 15 debutantes (or people returning from banzuke-gai) and putting them into Fantasy Juryo. When I do the banzuke after this basho I'm going to limit Fantasy Makuuchi to 42, just like real makuuchi, and do appropriate demotions into juryo to make that work. The draft will still be global, since I think that's more fun, but now we're going to have a yusho for both makuuchi and juryo. Also, goddamn, 60 people playing fantasy loving rules.

Day 1 standings

Makuuchi

code:
4	Beeswax
4	Brut
4	Everyones Favorite Poster
4	Kenning
4	MyChemicalImbalance
4	scripterror
4	Skjorte
4	Teddybear
3	Banana Canada
3	bartolimu
3	Cage Kicker
3	captainblastum
3	Charles Gnarwin
3	Chinook
3	Fluffdaddy
3	GoatSeeGuy
3	Helianthus Annuus
3	jmzero
3	Lid
3	Vargatron
3	whats for dinner
2	bessantj
2	Biosys
2	Crusty Nutsack
2	Dias
2	Ice Phisherman
2	Jobbo_Fett
2	Khizan
2	Liquid Communism
2	Maigius
2	Neodoomium
2	Pakled
2	pseudodragon
2	QuasiQuack
2	ratmosphere
2	Robviously
2	Scythe
2	sivad
2	Thauros
2	Tiny Bug Child
2	Tochiazuma
1	anakha
1	MalarkeyToboggan
1	Marching Powder
1	Shiroc
Juryo

code:
4	rare Magic card l00k
3	Bellwether
3	Communist Thoughts
3	Eli949
3	Martytoof
3	TwoWordName
2	Foehammer007
2	Glugglugs
2	Halloween Jack
2	KungFu Grip
2	LlamaTrauma
2	Log082
2	Netsky
1	ilmucche
1	NuclearPotato

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I look forward to being a juryo lifer

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

We just got a new TV, so I’m watching the NHK coverage in glorious 4K :gritin:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
takakeisho badly loving hurt oh gently caress

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hakuho just brutalised Endo.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kenning, requesting to trade Takakeisho for Terunofuji, Hakuho or Shodai, whoever is available for trades in that order of preference. gently caress, watching the end of his match was depressing :smith:

anakha fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 5, 2021

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Not entirely sure what just happened with Enho/Takagenji. It looked like they were going to do a torinaoshi, but then called a second mono-ii and decided Enho was too injured to continue? He looked wobbly as hell, so I guess it's nice to see they're serious about not making concussed guys fight anymore despite being a bummer of an outcome.

Just saw the replay and JESUS CHRIST those were some nasty open-hand uppercuts from Takagenji. :staredog:

Stopping the match was the right call, gven how loopy Enho looked, but those strikes are borderline illegal and should be looked at for future bashos.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Also requesting to trade Takakeisho for Teru/Hak/Shodai. That sucked. As if I needed yet another reason to hate Ichinojo

Brutal day.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

After how exciting yesterday was, today was exciting in a whole different and awful way :(

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Martytoof posted:

As if I needed yet another reason to hate Ichinojo

It looks like the injury was to Keisho's arm/elbow. Given how aggressive his tachiai usually is, I don't think this is really Itchy's fault.

anakha fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 5, 2021

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

What actually happened? Looks like they locked up, and Ichinojo basically walked him out. He didn't seem to hit anything on the way out of the dohyo...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Hakuho is not playing around.

Chinook posted:

What actually happened? Looks like they locked up, and Ichinojo basically walked him out. He didn't seem to hit anything on the way out of the dohyo...

I think he popped his shoulder/elbow on the tachiai.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Requesting to trade Takakeisho for Teru/Hak/Sho in that order.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

In better news, notable hairy bear Takayasu is back from kyujo tomorrow.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

anakha posted:

It looks like the injury was to Keisho's arm/elbow. Given how aggressive his tachiai usually is, I don't think this is really Itchy's fault.

Hey hey hey now, my irrational dislikes doesn’t listen to logic :haw:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I have more discipline than Shonanzakura. I'm going to eat soup until I make it into fantasy makuuchi.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Robviously posted:

Requesting to trade Takakeisho for Teru/Hak/Sho in that order.

i, too, request precisely this trade if my boy is done for

e: also good to see after bringing the arm bar to sumo to defeat enho they're now also dabbling in striking

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I have more discipline than Shonanzakura. I'm going to eat soup until I make it into fantasy makuuchi.

If you can master this chanko nabe recipe, you'll get there in no time! :haw:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Scary injury :ohdear:

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Oh man I missed fantasy because I missed there is a new thread. RIP my rank.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Hakuho was not loving around with Endo. No belt fighting, just slapping until it’s done.

For the first 10 seconds, I thought Wakatakakage was gonna do it but then the inevitable set in. Feels like you have such a narrow window to beat Terunofuji these days.

Ura definitely deserved a mono-ii and I think they would have at least called a torinaoshi if not outright giving it to Ura if they went to video.

Poor Enho. I hope they are serious about the concussion protocol but, man, dude can’t catch a break.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eventful tourney so far at least if not for the right reasons. The Enho-Takagenji match was pretty nuts.

Trade request inside:

Takakeisho for Teru/Shodai/Hak

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I am 2/15ths of the way to my destiny of a 30-45 record, all 2-3s

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Ura definitely deserved a mono-ii and I think they would have at least called a torinaoshi if not outright giving it to Ura if they went to video.

I thought that on the replay you can clearly see Ura's heel hit the ground outside the ring first. It was a good match but Chiyonoo won.

Feel a bit sorry for Endo so far. Day one a visit from a vengeful Terunofuji who beats him soundly then a boxing match from Hakuho on day two.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I need Wakatakakage to run the table from here on out :mad:

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Martytoof posted:

I need Wakatakakage to run the table from here on out :mad:

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Also requesting to trade Takakeishou for Teru/Hakuhou/Shoudai. The Y/O and S/K picks are gonna need to be combined at this rate.