Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I was surprised to learn we had a guy with a homemade submarine trying to attach a bomb to a British warship and it wasn’t an awful idea, and only didn’t work as when he tried to drill to attach it he was hitting the iron part of the ship bottom and panicked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I was surprised to learn we had a guy with a homemade submarine trying to attach a bomb to a British warship and it wasn’t an awful idea, and only didn’t work as when he tried to drill to attach it he was hitting the iron part of the ship bottom and panicked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_(submersible)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

fuuuuuuck sake just federally issue everyone an RSA keypair already

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Seems like a good time to repost this epic tweet

Notice how he manages to summon a brief moment of lucidity after he realizes what he just agreed to do, and how he avoids the facepalm at the last possible moment and pretends to adjust his hair instead.

https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1302353329016709121

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

gently caress it, have this if we're not gonna put orange dotard's moves in the rear view

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

fuuuuuuck sake just federally issue everyone an RSA keypair already

wikipedia posted:

The Estonian identity card (Estonian: ID-kaart) is a mandatory identity document for citizens of Estonia. In addition to regular identification of a person, an ID-card can also be used for establishing one's identity in electronic environment and for giving one's digital signature.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
What's Latin for "Floating Bolthole?"

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/somnio-worlds-first-yacht-liner-unveiled/index.html

200+ feet longer than a Burke-class, displaces over three times more. I'm calling it now, we'll see the first private luxury aircraft carrier in this loving decade.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

lets start giving out exocets like candy

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/somnio-worlds-first-yacht-liner-unveiled/index.html

200+ feet longer than a Burke-class, displaces over three times more. I'm calling it now, we'll see the first private luxury aircraft carrier in this loving decade.

Let's be honest, everyone in here- if you saw this poo poo got USS Cole'd, would you even pretend to be sad

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

GD_American posted:

Let's be honest, everyone in here- if you saw this poo poo got USS Cole'd, would you even pretend to be sad

"Nooooooooooo! All that magnificent alcohol!" :cry:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Nooooooooooo! All that magnificent alcohol!" :cry:

That is....not a bad take.

Seriously though, if Al Qaeda limpet mined Jeff Bezos' galactic frigate, could any of us really get our hackles up

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Just to put this in perspective, Jeff Bezos could buy this thing outright for roughly the same percentage of his wealth as me buying a 2003 Honda Civic.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If there's a tax break involved, this will become ubiquitous,

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Man, I got so many vaccines in basic training and pre-deployment that I forgot what half of them even were. When I found the records and gave them to a new PCP she was like, holy poo poo, what vaccines didn't you get?

I never got the full sequence for anthrax, just the first few, so that's uh kinda not useful I guess but whatever

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What even is the point in owning a huge yacht if you can't just make it go where you want to go? This thing is dumb on so many levels, but paying 11 million for an appartment on a yacht you can't control has to be some kind of peak stupid.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CainFortea posted:

What even is the point in owning a huge yacht if you can't just make it go where you want to go? This thing is dumb on so many levels, but paying 11 million for an appartment on a yacht you can't control has to be some kind of peak stupid.

I'd bet money the only places this place will port in will be extradition-averse. Like I said, it's a floating bolthole.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Who needs a carrier?

Commission a seaplane to surpass the F2Y Sea Dart and go seven hundred and seventeen knots with a range less than that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

GD_American posted:

I'd be negative sad.

To be clear, I'd be cheering. My time in that industry made me absolutely despise it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Just to put this in perspective, Jeff Bezos could buy this thing outright for roughly the same percentage of his wealth as me buying a 2003 Honda Civic.

Jeff Bezos could buy a 2003 Honda Civic for every household in the U.S., if Honda had every produced anywhere near that many.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

This is a super common thing for pregnant women with bad morning sickness. My wife had to do it for our kids.

hope you named each kid with a name starting with B, R, A and T sequentially in honour of the diet that got her through the ordeal

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I wonder what contingency plans they have in case some somali pirates decide to put a few holes in that thing

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Eej posted:

I wonder what contingency plans they have in case some somali pirates decide to put a few holes in that thing

"No refunds."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The voter ID thing is issue is just another thing that is an issue in the first place because of too much federalism where it makes little sense in the USA. As the poster above said about the Estonian ID, a federal ID is mandatory for all adult Germans, and until COVID scrambled public services, was pretty easy and quick to get. That each US state choses which IDs to accept as valid even in elections for federal offices, and that certain states select forms of ID that are more common among their (white) voters and less common among/harder to get for the (non-white) voters of their opposition, is the whole problem.

Which explains why voter ID polls so well, from a common sense perspective, it's such a no brainer. It takes a little more thought and access to information to make the link to Republican voter suppression.

Also, what's up with New York and the state's abysmal voting procedures? It's hard to take the moral high ground on voting rights, voting security and voting integrity when one of the biggest blue states performs so poorly in all three, not just in the Democratic primary, but last year's presidential election vote counting was also messed up and super slow.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 5, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Torrannor posted:

Also, what's up with New York and the state's abysmal voting procedures?

Literally corruption, cronyism, and incompetence.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
In :sweden: you get assigned an id at birth. This is then used for everything. Voting, taxes, interactions with banks, secure login to more and more companies/services etc etc.

If i know yours the tax records are public so I can see what you make. And more.

Highly practical but yes some downsides. I dont think 99% of ppl even reflect though.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Same in Denmark for all residents -- I got one last year after my residence permit was approved. Logging in is two factor by default, either with code card or with app. All communication from the local/national government is sent to an email I can only access with my nemid.

Although the system is not entirely secure as scammers seem to target the elderly for access to their accounts.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Always time for China to go with their original 'plan' for Varyag lol.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

GD_American posted:

That is....not a bad take.

Seriously though, if Al Qaeda limpet mined Jeff Bezos' galactic frigate, could any of us really get our hackles up

Where's jake busey when you need him

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
lmao. I guess they know what crypto is for.

https://twitter.com/0xpolygon/status/1410976559008305161?s=21

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
And also finance

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

For us people with good teeth, nonce means a sexual offender.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Wasabi the J posted:

For us people with good teeth, nonce means a sexual offender.

How strange, it means 'pedophile' in Britain.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh, so it also means "royal family"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
That reads like buzz word mad libs poo poo that has no connection to reality.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bird food bathtub posted:

That reads like buzz word mad libs poo poo that has no connection to reality.

I mean, Buzzwords, Bitcoin, and NFTs: All go hand in hand.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I thought nonce was some old timey British way to say tomorrow. Like "I'll see you on the nonce"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh, so it also means "royal family"

Not exclusively, no.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/appalachiabelle/status/1411741808649027588?s=21

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Didn’t ever think Wendy had whoppers.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

Didn’t ever think Wendy had whoppers.

:goonsay: "Excuse me, but that's very clearly a Baconator."

Also, apparently Wendy is *also* a daywalker vampire. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

How strange, it means 'pedophile' in Britain.

I’m American and I’ve only heard this way, and not a general sexual predator. Although I think chomo is more common slang in the US.