Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
BUCKS VS KING AND PENTA 27 29.35%
BOY VS JACK 2 2.17%
MIRO VS PILLMAN 6 6.52%
MJF VS SAM 57 61.96%
Total: 92 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

You see the crowds all over the country getting tired of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Problem with trying to do Okada/Kenny but with Hangman is that unlike Okada crowds are pretty ready for Kenny to lose/getting tired of the run ins and AEW doesn't have as hot a feud as Okada/Naito lined up to carry business. And if you have Hangman lose at All out only to win at Full Gear it'd feel....cheap I think.

Yeah, I think there's a definite shelf life for the current Elite cheating to win storyline. There has to be comeuppance at some point or it'll start feeling like bad NWO.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The only reason I think Page should lose to Kenny is because that's the story. His problem has never been his friends, championships, or even his drinking. Its been his inability to deal with failure. So winning a championship doesn't "fix" that. Getting supportive friends doesn't "fix" that. He's gotta actually get ok with losing and understanding its not that big a deal. If the end of this story is "Page is champion and that makes him happy" that feels like its learning the wrong lesson.

But they could bridge that gap on the road there without a loss to Kenny. I'm not sure exactly how but we'll have to wait and see. But either way when he wins people are gonna be pumped.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The crux of Sting vs. Hogan is that friendship is good, so Sting getting pinned by Hogan and being saved by Bret Hart and having the title stripped from him like a week later was actually good.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

MJeff posted:

That thread got RTed into my timeline and I was reading it and I wound up at the part where Dark Order comes in and I wound up going down the Brodie tunnel and now I'm gettin' all misty-eyed, fucks sake.

i finally listened to the amanda huber unrestricted last night

just, gently caress

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

STAC Goat posted:

The only reason I think Page should lose to Kenny is because that's the story. His problem has never been his friends, championships, or even his drinking. Its been his inability to deal with failure. So winning a championship doesn't "fix" that. Getting supportive friends doesn't "fix" that. He's gotta actually get ok with losing and understanding its not that big a deal. If the end of this story is "Page is champion and that makes him happy" that feels like its learning the wrong lesson.

But they could bridge that gap on the road there without a loss to Kenny. I'm not sure exactly how but we'll have to wait and see. But either way when he wins people are gonna be pumped.

If Hangman kicks out of the OWA and then still loses, it's a big friggin' deal, even in a loss. That might work.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MJeff posted:

Shida should be louder, angrier and have access to a time machine.
I think Aero Star's busy in AAA.

STAC Goat posted:

I'd go the other way: Page wins the title, but finds that he's still unhappy and that he doesn't really like being champion. He doesn't tank his matches or anything, but he loses a few months later because his heart's just not in it. Then he realizes what he lost now that it's gone, and tries to conquer his demons to get it back. I don't know if I've ever seen that in wrestling before.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

sticklefifer posted:

I think Aero Star's busy in AAA.

I'd go the other way: Page wins the title, but finds that he's still unhappy and that he doesn't really like being champion. He doesn't tank his matches or anything, but he loses a few months later because his heart's just not in it. Then he realizes what he lost now that it's gone, and tries to conquer his demons to get it back. I don't know if I've ever seen that in wrestling before.

I think my only problem with that is that I think his story SHOULD end with him winning the championship. That SHOULD be the big triumphant moment for Page. Plus they kind of already did that to an extent with his tag run where his drinking just got worse, his relationships got worse, he seemed terrified of losing them, and then got played by FTR. The championships and the wins weren't enough for him. Page being champ with supportive friends and still being unhappy is definitely an interesting story but it doesn't feel like they've treated his drinking as a real problem for a long time so it feels like they've moved past that deeper unhappiness a bit. I dunno. It would certainly be an interesting angle to go but I do really feel like a delayed win that is climactic to his personal story is better than an immediate win that isn't.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i don't know what's gonna happen

i don't know what should happen

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SatoshiMiwa posted:

crowds are pretty ready for Kenny to lose/getting tired of the run ins

Uhhhh, nope. Nothin' to back that up at all.

Tried to slip one past the goalie there, fam.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

A crowd can be one person

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Doesn’t Hangman have to go through the ordeal and die to get insight before he can get his hero’s reward? Maybe a draw could constitute for that with a rematch, but I don’t think you could do 4 matches.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I’m sure it’d be very well executed, but I personally do not want to watch a 60 minute Broadway title match. I’ll take a TNT Title draw because at least that’s only 20 minutes.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

The constant run-ins are getting super tiresome but I think it's going to pay off when the Dark Order beat the poo poo out of the Good Brothers, the Bucks and Don Callis to make sure the fight between hangman and Kenny is fair.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Crapple! posted:

The constant run-ins are getting super tiresome but I think it's going to pay off when the Dark Order beat the poo poo out of the Good Brothers, the Bucks and Don Callis to make sure the fight between hangman and Kenny is fair.

Between the Dark Order and Kaz, there are more than enough babyfaces to head off the Elite at the pass, especially if it’s at a PPV with a long entry ramp.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't get why people want to put off Hangman's win. He's hot right now. His storyline has reached its peak after a few detours. Putting off his big win doesn't do him any good and would just lead to three more months of both Kenny and Page spinning their wheels and not advancing anything. Page winning closes that chapter on his way up to winning the big one, and then opens up a lot more storylines than if he loses.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't get why people want to put off Hangman's win. He's hot right now. His storyline has reached its peak after a few detours. Putting off his big win doesn't do him any good and would just lead to three more months of both Kenny and Page spinning their wheels and not advancing anything. Page winning closes that chapter on his way up to winning the big one, and then opens up a lot more storylines than if he loses.

It also puts the world title one on their heralded young guys, and now is the time to pull the trigger.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Between the Dark Order and Kaz, there are more than enough babyfaces to head off the Elite at the pass, especially if it’s at a PPV with a long entry ramp.

I still want to see someone you wouldn't expect pop up to keep the Elite out of the match. Not as a face turn, but as a "the roster has had enough" moment.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Zombie Lemur posted:

I still want to see someone you wouldn't expect pop up to keep the Elite out of the match. Not as a face turn, but as a "the roster has had enough" moment.

PAC, at Eddie Kingston’s encouragement.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Zombie Lemur posted:

I can kind of see the Pinnacle or at least MJF getting involved in order to get the Elite out of the way so they can be the dominate faction in AEW, thought they still have to finish things with the Inner Circle first.

Alternate answer: Cody runs out to hit the Cross Rhodes on Cutler for stealing his old facemask gimmick and then leaves.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Zombie Lemur posted:

Nyla.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
PAC and Nyla would both be good choices.

Callis should eat some kind of move, I feel like he's earned it.

Comedy Schiavone tackling Callis option.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Putting off his big win doesn't do him any good and would just lead to three more months of both Kenny and Page spinning their wheels and not advancing anything.

If you put off his big win, it's because you have a plan in mind that doesn't involve three months of wheel-spinning for Kenny and Page. It's not something you do because more dragged out = better.

Hangman losing and realizing he's at peace with failure, or drawing and realizing that he doesn't need to win to succeed, is a completely valid beat that adds another dimension to the story. You can have Omega going from confident and dismissive of Hangman in the build to the first match to scared and paranoid before the second. Maybe have him and the Bucks be at odds with one another if they lose the tag team belts or fail to adequately interfere in a match on his behalf, which lets you more easily do a straight-up match for Kenny-Hangman II. Or maybe you just want to do a little more with this Kenny title run, squeeze in a program with people like Darby or Dustin or Tommy End before he gives up the belt.

I'm not saying any of these are necessarily better options than just pulling the trigger, but there are stories to tell no matter which direction you go in. This is the company's most foundational arc, so whatever decision they make, I'll assume it's been well considered until I have reason to believe otherwise

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Maybe they don't think its peaked. Maybe they don't think it would lead to wheel spinning. Maybe they have more matches they want to see with Kenny as champion or have more belts before the big blowoff happens.

I can go either way. I can get behind him winning as soon as All Out or it taking as long as Full Gear or longer. But I don't think it's an insanely unreasonable thing to think there's more road, to the point where you can't comprehend it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Hangman started falling at All Out 2019. He lost everything at All Out 2020. He needs to win at All Out 2021.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

hangman realizes he doesn't need to win to succeed and then goes to wwe

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

is kurt angle a free agent? i'd love to see him cum truck the elite.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
The Wingmen jump Cutler as he tries to come out and interfere. They're unaware that there's any sort of storyline going on, Avalon just wants to make him unhappy.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Zombie Lemur posted:

The Wingmen jump Cutler as he tries to come out and interfere. They're unaware that there's any sort of storyline going on, Avalon just wants to make him unhappy.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend"
Eddie Kingston

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Zombie Lemur posted:

YOU'RE A LOOOOSER, BRANDON

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

We’ve been waiting a year plus for this and we must wait longer because we’ve always been waiting.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'd rather watch Kenny matches

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I don't think a reluctant Hangman winning right out of the gate would get you the big pop you want for the moment where Kenny is finally deposed. Their relationship has mostly been on the backburner, with Kenny only getting more powerful and arrogant as Hangman fought to stay steady. Even now, Hangman is tentative and unsure. Him winning would be cool, but not a Moment the same way Moxley finally deposing Jericho was.

I could be completely wrong about this and maybe there's a point in the match where Page'll finally get that spark back, showing the spirit he had in their tag run again as he goes on an offensive tear before getting the pin, but I don't think this is the final stage of Kenny's heel run. I think Page loses, either through interference or because of his own hesitation, but becomes rejuvenated in that loss, finally fully accepting the Dark Order's help and no longer holding the prospect of winning the title with them at his side at arm's length, leading to the real high octane chase where he takes the title.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'd rather watch Kenny matches

I'd really like to see a Sammy or Darby defense before Kenny loses.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Hangman doesn't have to win the title tomorrow. There are still 2 months until All Out to bring this story to where it needs to be. I just don't understand why he needs to get kicked around some more for people to get excited about him winning. All of the major milestones in this 2 year story that he is the protagonist of have been him losing

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Crapple! posted:

Hangman doesn't have to win the title tomorrow. There are still 2 months until All Out to bring this story to where it needs to be. I just don't understand why he needs to get kicked around some more for people to get excited about him winning. All of the major milestones in this 2 year story that he is the protagonist of have been him losing

He's the #1 contender and they are starting a heavy build to it. Either they do it before All Out or Hangman needs to fail for other challengers to make sense.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 5, 2021

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
They've made matches for PPVs and had lower-profile title shots in the interim period; I don't see why you couldn't do the same here. Promoter wants the money match on the paid show!

I also think "You wouldn't get a big pop for Hangman beating Kenny just yet" is one of the most bonkers opinions I've seen in this thread

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

xbilkis posted:

They've made matches for PPVs and had lower-profile title shots in the interim period; I don't see why you couldn't do the same here. Promoter wants the money match on the paid show!

Because he's the #1 contender and they just did an angle for it after teasing the angle for weeks! It's really bad booking to do another challenger when you have your top contender doing angles with the champion. Don't book the angles if you are going to have a lower ranked challenger first.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
he's the #1 contender, but he's still ducking Kenny and hasn't changed his mind on it yet, they have time to build one more defense for Kenny that galvanizes Hangman into action, or an angle where The Elite decide to gently caress with him/his friends and set up Kenny's fall for All Out.

granted, that's if they hit the ground running basically THIS Wednesday, if we don't see movement on it soon, it might be a longer build than we're thinking

i don't think Hangman necessarily has to lose again to make the story great, but he does have to be well and surely provoked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
BTE got me thinking: how many people on the AEW roster do you think can dunk a basketball on a regulation 10 foot hoop