Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Orange Carlisle posted:

That's a great band name and an accurate description of like 95% of bands

It'd be a good name for a coffee table book too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I bet Corey Graves unironically enjoyed the Lulu album.

I AM THE TABLE

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
When you're young, you listen to Metallica.

As you get older, you listen to Megadeth.

And along the way, if you're me you go, "Wait, Rob Halford's GAY?!? Who saw that coming?!?" And the answer is, everyone except for the fundies who protested Judas Priest.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I can't really speak for music quality but that every song on Garage Inc that got radio play just reeked off 'hey this'll sell' or 'hey this will keep us in the musical zeitgeist for another year or two' rather than any sort of creative vision.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I saw something on Youtube breaking down how awful St. Anger was and how it killed Metallica and yup it totally shows why the band would implode/be awful at doing cover songs

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Am I Evil isn’t even Diamond Head’s best song (it’s Helpless or Shoot Out the Lights)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I saw something on Youtube breaking down how awful St. Anger was and how it killed Metallica and yup it totally shows why the band would implode/be awful at doing cover songs

you have not experienced st anger until you have been stuck for two hours inside a Hard Rock Cafe on the day it released as they play it on loop

kinetic77
Jun 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/silvernumber1/status/1411810403643015170?s=21

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Raskolnikov38 posted:

you have not experienced st anger until you have been stuck for two hours inside a Hard Rock Cafe on the day it released as they play it on loop

I saw them at Summer Sanitarium 18 years ago to the day, and luckily they only played 2 songs off of it.

It's easily one of the worst albums ever made.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ozymandius1024 posted:

I saw them at Summer Sanitarium 18 years ago to the day, and luckily they only played 2 songs off of it.

without a goddamn doubt

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

For years my go-to comeback insult to my best friend was "Hey, at least I didn't buy a copy of St Anger at a midnight release."

Then she found out I picked Triss over Yen in my Witcher 3 playthrough. Oh, how the turns tabled.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I have two copies of St. Anger, because my brother found them in the trashcan at school the day after it came out.

Still haven't actually tried to finish it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I like Garage Inc, it's a weird assortment of covers.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I am so not metal that this is what I initially thought people were talking about re: Lulu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahEMnbnAXuQ

Sandie Shaw was better but don't associate poor Lulu with Corey Graves (or modern Metallica, though if they did all Bacharach and David and/or Neil Diamond songs for a cover album I would probably listen to it once)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

I like Garage Inc, it's a weird assortment of covers.

I liked the Astronomy cover and the Loverman cover, but the rest of the new covers they did for it, bleh

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I liked the Astronomy cover and the Loverman cover, but the rest of the new covers they did for it, bleh

I feel like they've got pretty good taste in what they choose to cover (Breadfan, Am I Evil, Astronomy, Killing Time, Curse of the Pharaohs), but that they're all already really good songs in their own right that aren't elevated by Metallica's take on them.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The Spice Girls are better than Metallica. And they didn't lower themselves, or sully their artistry by doing *ptui* cover versions, or being mentioned by Corey Graves.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

The Spice Girls are better than Metallica. And they didn't lower themselves, or sully their artistry by doing *ptui* cover versions, or being mentioned by Corey Graves.

Just because a band isn't as good as the best band doesn't mean they are bad.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

CobiWann posted:

For years my go-to comeback insult to my best friend was "Hey, at least I didn't buy a copy of St Anger at a midnight release."

Then she found out I picked Triss over Yen in my Witcher 3 playthrough. Oh, how the turns tabled.

i dont get it, you made two right choices?

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
The part of Some Kind of Monster where they're brainstorming St Anger ideas is hilarious.

"My lifestyle determines my death style! Whoaaa!"

It's straight up Metalocalypse poo poo.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
There’s better thrash metal turned soulless capitalist anthems in modern nine inch nails imo.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

ozymandius1024 posted:

I feel like they've got pretty good taste in what they choose to cover (Breadfan, Am I Evil, Astronomy, Killing Time, Curse of the Pharaohs), but that they're all already really good songs in their own right that aren't elevated by Metallica's take on them.

I know some people who prefer Metallica's version of Astronomy to the BOC original (even the live version on Some Enchanted Evening) and it kinda triggers me

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
gently caress it all and loving no regrets I hear the lights it makes no sense, I'll reel it all, I'll hang myself, to help myself be free

I get anger with you, I'm getting anger with you

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Their cover of Am I Evil is okay cause it doesn't change anything at all.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

At some point my brain imploded on irony and I think I started enjoying St Anger. Or at least a version of St Anger where the songs are not all so bloody long.

It is not in any way "good" but it's fascinating as a series of "why did you do that?" decisions. Which is a drat sight more interesting than anything Metallica did without Lou Reed post St Anger. Also going back to read reviews of St Anger when it first dropped is really funny because so few publications were willing to say this was bad.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Frantic will always be horribly great.

[MY LIFESTYLE, DETERMINES MY DEATHSTYLE]

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Anthony Ogogo continues to be the biggest heel in the business by signing up to the blood cancer donation registry

https://twitter.com/AnthonyOgogo/status/1411961385081311235

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Invisible kid
Never see what he did
Got stuck where he hid
Fallen through the grid
Invisible kid
Got a place of his own
Where he'll never be known
Inward he's grown
Invisible kid
Locked away in his brain
From the shame and the pain
World down the drain

It's art in how much it reads like something 15 year old me would've written it, but James Hetfield was just shy of 40. Tremendous.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that song was written by 4 people actually

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Metallica songs are better without Metallica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSpuVsLnl1k

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

forkboy84 posted:

Also going back to read reviews of St Anger when it first dropped is really funny because so few publications were willing to say this was bad.

the only time i laughed at a Brent D review on Pitchfork was the intro for St Anger

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Yardbomb posted:

Frantic tic tic tic tic toc is my favorite song lyric of all time. That song has so much to offer it's unreal.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

IGgy IGsen posted:

Frantic tic tic tic tic toc is my favorite song lyric of all time. That song has so much to offer it's unreal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw4g_aS3rJM

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

What thread am I in...

https://twitter.com/eviluno/status/1412041589715832832?s=2
Saw this and panicked a bit, wondering what AEW did to my sweet boy Uno.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
oh poo poo, it makes total sense with them back on the road that a lot of the "please don't take loving bookings and get covid not on my tv show" requests have timed out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

karmicknight posted:

oh poo poo, it makes total sense with them back on the road that a lot of the "please don't take loving bookings and get covid not on my tv show" requests have timed out.

Two AEW people (Sonny and Dante) are at a local show here next week, so can comfirm this is happening.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Evil Uno has been released.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ozymandius1024 posted:

Although the defenses of it are interesting. It has its fans and they go to the wall for it with things like "it's supposed to be hard to listen to because it's Hetfield's journey through his pain to cleaner living" and things and if I squint I can see what the fans are going for even if it all the songs feel like they have the exact same tempo and it sounds like Lars is banging on paint cans because the sound mixing is so horrible.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Yardbomb posted:

"Frantic, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tock"

Pure genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Although the defenses of it are interesting. It has its fans and they go to the wall for it with things like "it's supposed to be hard to listen to because it's Hetfield's journey through his pain to cleaner living" and things and if I squint I can see what the fans are going for even if it all the songs feel like they have the exact same tempo and it sounds like Lars is banging on paint cans because the sound mixing is so horrible.

The diabolical production work is part of my fascination with it. I want to know how they came to decide that this snare sound was a good one rather than absolutely loving rancid. Almost everyone involved in that record had been working together for over a decade & Bob Rock engineered or produced record weren't exactly known for a difficult sound.