Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Walla posted:

I played BotW handheld on the Wii U.

same, beat it on Wii U before I bought a switch. Why do I torture myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Butterfly Valley posted:

I never really played Galaxy 2, but it’s spoken about highly itt. What makes it better than the first?

Galaxy 2 cuts out a lot of the fluff that Galaxy had by (mostly) getting rid of the hub world stuff and just using a world map. On top of that, each world has less stars than a Galaxy level, meaning the levels have stronger theming so there's less stuff like "This is the water level but you're on moving platforms in the sky for this star." There's also Comet Medals, which reward exploration and doing difficult stunts more than "Here are some star bits/a 1-Up you don't need," and it has Yoshi, who's used in better ways than Sunshine.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Mega64 posted:

Want a free gang tag?

I've been playing A-Train for a month or so, and I made some scenarios to see what kind of crazy train layouts I could do. I made some extremely compact and efficient train interchanges that can handle OpenTTD levels of throughput, which is cool to a certain kind of person, I think.

More universally, I went through a huge chunk of BotW just sniping enemies from a ludicrous distance. It was so much fun to set up ambushes in that game, rolling exploding barrels down hills and the like. It brought my favorite parts of Far Cry and Elder Scrolls together, in that respect. There's nothing like clearing out a whole moblin encampment without even getting spotted once.

I really wish Dwarf Fortress was on the Switch, then I'd have some real stories!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Inferior Third Season posted:

Am I the only one who detached the right joycon and loosened the left one so that it wasn't locked in place but still in the rail so that it could hold the Switch? Then you can easily rotate all you want.

nah, I, too, have basic problem solving skills

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I will never forgive Nintendo for excluding SMG2 from 3D All Stars in favor of its inferior predecessors, Sunshine and SMG1

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Mega64 posted:

Want a free gang tag?

All I want you to do is to post in this thread a video, screenshot, or even a text description of the coolest thing you've done in a Switch game. That's it. Do that until sometime Monday evening (US Eastern time) and I'll give you the gang tag. If you've posted it before in this or another thread, feel free to quote it here and I'll count it.

If you have any preferences on where to place the tag let me know, otherwise I'll put it above other tags but below custom text. I'll also let you know if there's text limit issues for whatever reason.

The tattered post-it looking the way it does means I killed delirium on hard mode. That screenshot also shows I haven't unlocked the Holy Mantle start, and I didn't find it, 9 lives, etc.

Since Delirium just kinda teleports on top of you sometimes, what this run did have going for it was that I just got lucky and that didn't happen, and I did the rest of the fight perfectly.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Zurtilik posted:

I remember in Hotel Dusk you had to give a character CPR via closing the DS's lid

that dev's previous ds game, another code/trace memory, had a similarly cool puzzle solution where you had to close the ds partway so the bottom screen was reflected in the top screen to complete some kind of code or something

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Well, I finally finished Dragon Quest 11 (for real this time).

The rear end end of the game kind of soured me on the whole thing. It drags on just a smidge, but whatever I was having fun. Then I just started hitting a brick wall where the sidequest bosses and poo poo just did WAAAAAAAAAAY too much damage and were impossible for me to win against without a bunch of grinding. And some of it was just such supreme bullshit that I gave up and went and whacked the final boss just to have it over with. Only to fail once because the final boss has a mechanic that was mentioned to me dozens of hours ago but I had forgotten by the time I fought him.

So yeah. I WAS having fun until the game decided to crank the bullshit dial up to 11. I feel like they could have condensed the latter bits of the game down. A lot.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

When the credits role the the first time in Dragon Quest XI is when it’s best to stop playing the game. It’s an amazing game up until then.

Everything afterwards is some lovely fan fiction.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

japtor posted:

Have you played Picross 3D? Mainly curious how it works compared to that. I vaguely recall starting with blocks and having to chip away so it doesn't sound too foreign, but can't really tell from the videos (seems more sparse?).

it's a little different but the same basic idea. the most impactful difference is it indicates the exact number of gaps rather than using square or circle numbers. as a result the puzzles can and do get much bigger.

Vic posted:

I miss my dog who generally made better posts than those displayed here by farting, wagging his tail and looking at me as if expecting praise.

No matter what I told him he was happy. And it worked the same way the other way around.

Animal Crossing sucks.

stfu.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

When the credits role the the first time in Dragon Quest XI is when it’s best to stop playing the game. It’s an amazing game up until then.

nah act 3 is good

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

All jrpgs are better if you make a beeline for the final dungeon as soon as it becomes available

Just ignore the sidequests. Don't go on item hunts, don't hunt down the secret boss, holy gently caress don't spend six hours breeding chocobos

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

All jrpgs are better if you make a beeline for the final dungeon as soon as it becomes available

Just ignore the sidequests. Don't go on item hunts, don't hunt down the secret boss, holy gently caress don't spend six hours breeding chocobos

this one in chrono trigger is worth it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

flavor.flv posted:

ill do what i want

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

Everything except the extra poo poo added for the DS version is worth it.

I think it’s high time I repeat CT now. I haven’t played it since it was released on DS.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I do pretty much all of the side hustles in JRPGs. As much of them as I can. I got the gold chocobo and killed the Weapons in Final Fantasy VII, I did all 100 floors of the roguelike dungeon in Lufia 2, I rebuilt the town in Xenoblade and killed the mountain dragon, I got Genis' solo battle arena weapon in Tales of Symphonia even though I had to grind him to level 230 to get it. I did it all and I have no regrets :colbert:

The only thing I refuse to do is farm extremely rare drops like getting the Onion gear in Final Fantasy IV. gently caress that noise.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 5, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is "Boss Baby: Gotta Go Party" worth $60?

Asking for a friend who is a baby.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Don't buy gifts for your boss

Weedle
May 31, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

it is not called that. i wont believe it

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
How's Mario Golf? is there enough variety of content to feel worth $60? Haven't bought a full price game in a good while aside from Monhun but video game golfing is pretty addictive and I can only replay Golf Story so many times.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Zerilan posted:

How's Mario Golf? is there enough variety of content to feel worth $60? Haven't bought a full price game in a good while aside from Monhun but video game golfing is pretty addictive and I can only replay Golf Story so many times.

the golf is insanely good, but not all of the wacky modes are winners and there are only six courses so far. multiplayer with goons is super fun and we all hang out in discord and have a good time. get it imo

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Weedle posted:

the golf is insanely good, but not all of the wacky modes are winners and there are only six courses so far. multiplayer with goons is super fun and we all hang out in discord and have a good time. get it imo

I LOVED Mario golf on the 64 back in college. Is it enough of a spiritual successor to be a good follow up or is the formula different enough that I shouldn't blindly buy it?

Long flight to Europe next week and this one feels like a slam dunk...

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It's just OK, fine for a few hours of entertainment but it's a meme in the thread now so take that as you will

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Mega64 posted:

Want a free gang tag?

All I want you to do is to post in this thread a video, screenshot, or even a text description of the coolest thing you've done in a Switch game. That's it. Do that until sometime Monday evening (US Eastern time) and I'll give you the gang tag. If you've posted it before in this or another thread, feel free to quote it here and I'll count it.

If you have any preferences on where to place the tag let me know, otherwise I'll put it above other tags but below custom text. I'll also let you know if there's text limit issues for whatever reason.

I beat the B side of Stage 2 of Celeste only dying once my first time through

Please include the tag in the loop if possible

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mak0rz posted:

The only thing I refuse to do is farm extremely rare drops like getting the Onion gear in Final Fantasy IV. gently caress that noise.

The Onion gear isn't even really that good in IV, the armor is outclassed by the Adamant Armor, the gloves are just total poo poo, and the helms are nice but the Ribbon is better honestly. Really you just need two Onion swords/shields for Kain and Cecil, which honestly don't take too long to get since Sirens will always put you in a battle with the dragons and the Treasure Hunter augment doubles drop chances. But yeah, as someone who got a complete set, nothing outside the swords and shields was worth it.

The only JRPG sidequest I really regret doing was filling out the Sky Pirate's Den in FFXII. Getting a 12 Quickening chain is a loving nightmare, and having to beat multiple difficult to spawn enemies (gently caress you, Garif in Ozmone Plain!) was tedious. Also the Great Crystal is one of the worst dungeons ever put into a video game.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I LOVED Mario golf on the 64 back in college. Is it enough of a spiritual successor to be a good follow up or is the formula different enough that I shouldn't blindly buy it?

Long flight to Europe next week and this one feels like a slam dunk...

the offline stuff has enough longevity to last you a couple of plane rides for sure. the story mode is a little thin and the ai is kind of stupid but i can’t overstate how good the golf simulation itself is and it really carries the game despite its other deficiencies. once you get a grip on all the environmental factors that affect your shot and the tools it gives you to control it you can pull off insane precision shots that feel amazing. the motion controls are a whole other deal, way less precision but still allowing you a degree of aftertouch depending on how you, like, “scoop” your swing. idk. i am not a golfer but i love golf video games, and this is a good one. dying for more courses though. pls

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

alf_pogs posted:

Chrono Trigger is actually good and thus can axiomatically be taken to be not a JRPG.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://i.imgur.com/9OYXgzM.mp4

(loud) sound on

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

flavor.flv posted:

I just started chrono trigger, does this still apply?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yeah don't breed chocobos

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Beginning to think this game is only half baked...

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

do everything in chrono trigger except the lost sanctum/dinosaur cave toward the end of the game (if you're playing the ds/steam versions). everything else in the game is great but lost sanctum is the worst jrpg content ever created

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

flavor.flv posted:

Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any worse.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

I did it properly because I was handheld at the time and if you want to flip the surface over you have to flip the entire switch and not be able to see the screen

There's at least puzzle where the intended solution required that

I didn't do it properly because flipping the screen would have never occured to me. Instead I blindly assumed Nintendo wouldn't design a puzzle without taking handheld mode into account and wriggled around the boring way. Which took a while, but eventually worked, too.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I stopped DX11 at the credits

no regrets

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I remembered the demo for dq11 surprising me because I thought it would be about an hr long or something. I think it took me 8 or 9 hrs to get through the demo content.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mario Golf is real good A+ highly recommend

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Mister Facetious posted:

Beginning to think this game is only half baked...

lol its fun but yet, at times playing speed golf in the third area in adventure mode with 1 ai it seems to drop to 480p because of graphics, animations, simulation physics, Wario's off screen mustache fidelity.

This should have been a free to play online only game but Nintendo continues to coast on goodwill from other efforts.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yeah I mean Mario Golf *burrrp* who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm starting realize the appeal of a golf game versus a tennis game. Aside from the fact that Nintendo seems to invest more into Golf, maybe because it's such a popular sport in Japan, it also actually has a single player appeal since you're always able to best your score, per hole or per course. You can't do that in tennis, not really anyway, aside from a wall or something like. You need to have a decent AI to really make it work.