Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So, an option for those who are building new systems with ideally new graphics cards, prebuilts are increasingly becoming an acceptable value. Cards are finding their way to prebuilt sellers again, and you'll have an easier time getting new hardware from them than on their own from retail stores at this point.

Currently, this ABS system with a Ryzen 5600x, a 3070, and other actual off-the-shelf components like an ASUS TUF x570 board, is going for $1650 USD. ABS is Newegg's house brand for prebuilts, and they're the one prebuilt company GamersNexus decided didn't completely suck.

A GamersNexus review of a different ABS system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2vrvQydVIw

tl;dr: no bloatware, no BIOS fuckery, no proprietary parts. There are some obvious flaws in the one I linked (the airflow benefits the GPU a lot but the CPU hardly at all, with a weak CPU cooler), but it may make for a decent starting point for people who just want a new computer, especially in the current hosed up market.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jul 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Is there a better place to ask for tech support? I can move this post to somewhere else if so.

My new pc build just kind of pooped out one day after about 2-3 months of good, constant stability.

AMD 5600x
Asus b550-Plus TUF Gaming WIFI
16gb Gskill 3200 ram
WD SN550 Blue
850w Corsair RM850x

It started with some graphical problems and boot problems, so I switched my 3070 for a 3080, a 1070, and an old Radeon desktop-only graphics card. Problems continued, so I thought mobo. Before I sent it off, tried all gpus in the x4 instead of the x16 PCIe and it works fine. I thought maybe something with the x16 lane. Got mobo back, same problem, though seemingly worse because it just doesn't seem to boot with a graphics card in the x16 slot. Tried many different BIOS versions to correct- from the original one I installed to get the 5600x to be detected to the latest one at the end of Mayish. Thought maybe it was processor, so I RMAed out the processor with AMD and got that back yesterday. Still same issue. Can boot on the x4 PCIe lane, but not x16 with any graphics card listed prior. Removed ssd, changed around RAM (did memtest at some point, which passed fine).

What the hell? I'm at my wits end. I'd be happy to discuss with anyone on a discord or something Saturday night, Sunday, or Monday (US eastern time).

Siroc fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 3, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Siroc posted:

Is there a better place to ask for tech support? I can move this post to somewhere else if so.

My new pc build just kind of pooped out one day after about 2-3 months of good, constant stability.

AMD 5600x
16gb Gskill 3200 ram
WD SN550 Blue
850w Corsair RM850x

It started with some graphical problems and boot problems, so I switched my 3070 for a 3080, a 1070, and an old Radeon desktop-only graphics card. Problems continued, so I thought mobo. Before I sent it off, tried all gpus in the x4 instead of the x16 PCIe and it works fine. I thought maybe something with the x16 lane. Got mobo back, same problem, though seemingly worse because it just doesn't seem to boot with a graphics card in the x16 slot. Tried many different BIOS versions to correct- from the original one I installed to get the 5600x to be detected to the latest one at the end of Mayish. Thought maybe it was processor, so I RMAed out the processor with AMD and got that back yesterday. Still same issue. Can boot on the x4 PCIe lane, but not x16 with any graphics card listed prior. Removed ssd, changed around RAM (did memtest at some point, which passed fine).

What the hell? I'm at my wits end. I'd be happy to discuss with anyone on a discord or something Saturday night, Sunday, or Monday (US eastern time).

You sure it’s not the display?

If it’s not, ram failing typically gives image distortion. Could also be a lack of power from the PSU if the PSU is bad.

Try 1 stick of ram at a time, in different slots. Or run memtest or something.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

You sure it’s not the display?

If it’s not, ram failing typically gives image distortion. Could also be a lack of power from the PSU if the PSU is bad.

Try 1 stick of ram at a time, in different slots. Or run memtest or something.

I've tried my four displays. I've tried memtest and tried each RAM stick individually in each slot and dual and single channel.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
you'd probably be better off diverting some money from other areas to get a better mobo, a b550 is low tier for an r5 and you seem to want a high performance machine.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

lurker2006 posted:

you'd probably be better off diverting some money from other areas to get a better mobo, a b550 is low tier for an r5 and you seem to want a high performance machine.

It absolutely is not.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming, possibly streaming in the future, office work.
What's your budget? $700
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics? 3440 x 1440, 120hz. I mostly play older games but I like to play high-ish settings, doesn't have to be max. Right now I am playing FFXIV and Albion Online.

I'm looking to upgrade: CPU, Mobo, RAM. I have a 1080ti which I am content with, and a good power supply that is less than 2 years old.

For CPU it seems like the Ryzen 5600x is pretty highly recommended. I have a mid-tower case - what mobo would be good to pair with, and RAM too?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

LuckyCat posted:

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming, possibly streaming in the future, office work.
What's your budget? $700
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics? 3440 x 1440, 120hz. I mostly play older games but I like to play high-ish settings, doesn't have to be max. Right now I am playing FFXIV and Albion Online.

I'm looking to upgrade: CPU, Mobo, RAM. I have a 1080ti which I am content with, and a good power supply that is less than 2 years old.

For CPU it seems like the Ryzen 5600x is pretty highly recommended. I have a mid-tower case - what mobo would be good to pair with, and RAM too?

a 5600x, ram that's optimally 3600 cl16 but anything over 3000 is OK if you're on a budget, a b550 with decent reviews (there's a motherboard tier list on LTT if you want but mostly that's marketing) and whatever features you need like wifi or whatever. you're good.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CoolCab posted:

a 5600x, ram that's optimally 3600 cl16 but anything over 3000 is OK if you're on a budget, a b550 with decent reviews (there's a motherboard tier list on LTT if you want but mostly that's marketing) and whatever features you need like wifi or whatever. you're good.

Thank you! Also I remember the last time I built a pc the onboard networking was something to look out for. At the time intel networking was the best and everyone said to avoid killer. What about Realtek? Is this even still an issue?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

LuckyCat posted:

Thank you! Also I remember the last time I built a pc the onboard networking was something to look out for. At the time intel networking was the best and everyone said to avoid killer. What about Realtek? Is this even still an issue?

i think the only relevant metric there is how quick the onboard ethernet connection is (think you can get like, 1 gig, 10 gig or whatever)?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

How does this look? Is it worthwhile to upgrade from my Samsung EVO 840 SSD while I’m at it?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

LuckyCat posted:

How does this look? Is it worthwhile to upgrade from my Samsung EVO 840 SSD while I’m at it?

That looks just fine. If you still have money left over in the budget, I would definitely recommend an NVMe drive as they can make a pretty noticeable difference compared to a SATA SSD. It's kinda hard to pin down the objective Best Value on those since you start seeing diminishing returns pretty quickly (the raw speeds in the top-end stuff have already exceeded what windows and consumer CPU platforms can handle) and the prices have also been fluctuating a little thanks to Chia. Still, something like WD's SN750, Crucial's P5, or Samsung's 980 are all pretty affordable and give good performance.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 3, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

lurker2006 posted:

This is extremely wrong and no-one should listen to it

LuckyCat posted:

Looks good. You have space for NVMe drives in your motherboard and that would be a smart upgrade if you need more space. Speed wise they're much faster for large file transfers but for regular usage like loading games or booting the OS the difference between SSDs and NVMes is fairly negligible, but given the price parity there's little reason to not go for an NVMe.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
that's a full ATX mobo, would that fit in a mid tower? i can never tell how that works.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CoolCab posted:

that's a full ATX mobo, would that fit in a mid tower? i can never tell how that works.

Almost always, yes.

mATX case = mATX + miTX boards
ATX case (mid tower) = ATX + mATX + miTX + some eATX
Full tower case = everything, but with a fuckoff amount of extra space.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CoolCab posted:

Post your case. Unless it's a very bad mid tower, a full ATX mobo should fit fine. Full towers were mostly designed for storing a shitload of 3.5" drives in them and not for bigger motherboards.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
nice, thanks for the clarification! oh and LuckyCat - once you've got the ram you gotta turn the XMP (or, i think it's called DOCP on some boards for some reason?) in the bios. that will set your ram to the higher speed it advertises, that will allow your 5600X to go at it's full potential speed. a lot of people miss this step.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I'm playing games on an X1 Carbon and need to upgrade to something with discrete graphics, so a friend offered to sell me their lightly-used RTX 2070 for $450. That's a beefier card than I had planned to get (semi-tight budget) but given how turbofucked the new market on cards is, I feel like I should take this (unless the prebuilt route makes more sense).

Are the prices on other components also insane right now, or can I build something affordable-ish around this that doesn't bottleneck it? I'd like to spend less than $1k in total if I can.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Unsinkabear posted:

Are the prices on other components also insane right now, or can I build something affordable-ish around this that doesn't bottleneck it? I'd like to spend less than $1k in total if I can.

That's a good price for that card in this market and you can definitely spec out the rest of the pc under $1k, prices on other components are mostly normal.

What monitor do you have? What games do you want to play? Any specific software that you use or other requirements that we need to know about? Etc

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
450 for a 2070 is not a terrible price but honestly prices are trending downwards significantly so it might not be much of a deal in a month's time, or six. i mean poo poo i lack a crystal ball i am not saying it definitively, just the possibility.

you absolutely can put together the rest for 550, it depends what you want to do. the budget route would be something like a, what, a b450 or b550 mobo ryzen 3100 or 3300X (if you can find it), 16 gigs of DDR4 at 3000mhz and then power supply, case, NVME drive (wd's sn550 is recommended) and you're away.

e: but it might still be cheaper to go with a prebuild GPU prices are loving stupid rn

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Siroc posted:

AMD 5600x
16gb Gskill 3200 ram
WD SN550 Blue
850w Corsair RM850x

So I made a little progress: I found a BIOS setting called PCIEX16_1 Bandwidth Bifurcation Configuration; I changed this from AUTO to x8/x8 Mode, and now I can boot from the PCIe 1 slot at x8 speed instead of x16 speed. Any Thoughts? I can RMA again, but what prevents this same issue from cropping up? Is it an architecture thing?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Siroc posted:

So I made a little progress: I found a BIOS setting called PCIEX16_1 Bandwidth Bifurcation Configuration; I changed this from AUTO to x8/x8 Mode, and now I can boot from the PCIe 1 slot at x8 speed instead of x16 speed. Any Thoughts? I can RMA again, but what prevents this same issue from cropping up? Is it an architecture thing?

are you using a riser cable?

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

CoolCab posted:

are you using a riser cable?

I am not.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

So I bought a Cooler Master 750W SFX power supply.

All good, except the cable that comes with it that goes to the 24 pin socket on the motherboard is too short... it doesn't reach my motherboard after snaking it through the case.

What are my options here? Can I buy a single cable extension? A set of them? A set of replacement cbales? Do I need to buy it from Cooler Master or will any company do? Can I use the cable from another power supply or manufacturer?

I'd like to avoid spending that much more money here.. what's my best path to getting this thing plugged in?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ben shapino posted:

So I bought a Cooler Master 750W SFX power supply.

All good, except the cable that comes with it that goes to the 24 pin socket on the motherboard is too short... it doesn't reach my motherboard after snaking it through the case.

What are my options here? Can I buy a single cable extension? A set of them? A set of replacement cbales? Do I need to buy it from Cooler Master or will any company do? Can I use the cable from another power supply or manufacturer?

I'd like to avoid spending that much more money here.. what's my best path to getting this thing plugged in?

Are you 100% sure there’s not a shorter route?

I would return the PSU and buy something else.

If you go extension or longer cord, you MUST get for that specific PSU (not just brand) or you’ll kill everything. Seriously.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Is anyone here using external DACs rather than the built in DACs on their motherboards? I finally have a good set of desktop speakers to connect to my PC, but there seems to be a common sentiment that the DACs on even high end motherboards tend not to be very good due to the electrical noise from the other components in the system.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have a Fiio M3 Pro DAP that functions as a DAC when plugged into the PC, basically any decent dedicated music player will function as an external sound card these days. Not enough of a reason to get one if you don't already have need/want of one but it's a nice bonus for sure.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mA posted:

Is anyone here using external DACs rather than the built in DACs on their motherboards? I finally have a good set of desktop speakers to connect to my PC, but there seems to be a common sentiment that the DACs on even high end motherboards tend not to be very good due to the electrical noise from the other components in the system.

If you're happy with your onboard audio situation then I personally wouldn't see any reason to upgrade. My onboard audio catches a lot of interference from the onboard LAN port (asus b550-f wifi). Dunno if that's because I'm using powerline networking and the signal was noisier or something (I dunno how that stuff works), but I just switched to wifi and ignored the issue. :shrug:

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

If you go extension or longer cord, you MUST get for that specific PSU (not just brand) or you’ll kill everything. Seriously.
An extension can just be a generic 24 pin extension cable, it's the same standardized connector on both ends

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Yeah. An extension can be generic. It's if you get a replacement that it needs to be for the specific PSU. Because the motherboard end is always the same. It's the PSU end if the cable that changes based on manufacturer and model.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

mA posted:

I’m using a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 audio interface, since I run a condenser mic for my WFH/zoom setup and sometimes use it for streaming too

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

mA posted:

The $9 Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adapter is an excellent DAC if your onboard DAC is bad, and is natively supported in Windows

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Godzilla07 posted:

The $9 Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adapter is an excellent DAC if your onboard DAC is bad, and is natively supported in Windows

It is, however, fragile as poo poo. You'll want some way to reinforce it or that cable will break inside just by looking at it.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

What country are you in? Finland
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Shitposting?
Machine learning, specifically looking to build a CycleGAN to process 1024x1024 images. My dataset is currently at 6000 images, but will probably grow to the 10000s. It doesn't need to prepare a model in a day, but I'd like it to train a model in a reasonable amount of time. For architecture search I'm fine with letting it run for weeks.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
I'd like to survive with around 1000 euros. (For core unit hardware, excluding software and peripheral gear)
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow?
Python, tensorflow & keras.

You can presume that the graphics card shortage is over, and prices have returned to normal.

I'm looking into building a small machine learning rig which I could easily expand with an additional graphics card(s). I'm especially confused as to how CPU-GPU-RAM bottlenecks form in a machine-learning rig. For ram I'll probably just put 32GB, and load the dataset in batches and as far as I know that should be fine. If I buy one graphics card, for example rtx 2080 TI, is it cost-efficient processing-wise to try to cobble mid-grade graphics cards to also jam into the rig for parallel processing? I know truly lovely cards are probably just more trouble than worth. Or should I ditch 2080 altogether in favor, for example, 4 mid-grade cards? (I don't know what those would be)

I've used some online GPU-CPU bottleneck calculators, but they are designed for gaming, which as far as I understand have different loads and therefore bottleneck dynamics work quite differently.

Any tips would be much appreciated, thanks!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Doing a new build for another friend of mine who managed to snag a 5800X at a decent price. They also secured a kit of 2x32GB of DDR4 3600 RAM (lol) and an MSI 3060 Ti GPU. Here's the rest of the build I put together for them: PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($137.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB VENTUS 3X OC Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 205M MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GT 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.69 CFM 140 mm Fan (Purchased For $0.00)
Case Fan: Noctua P12 redux-1700 PWM 70.75 CFM 120 mm Fan ($13.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $331.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-05 17:11 EDT-0400

I have leftover P14 redux fans from an older build that I'm giving them. Everything else looks good? The Fuma 2 should be good enough for a 5800X inside that Lian Li case, right? I plan on moving the included Lian Li fans as the top exhaust, put my old 140mm Noctua Redux fans as intake, and then another 120mm Noctua redux as the rear exhaust. Don't plan on overclocking any. I'm also reading up on 1TB NVMe drives atm, and am undecided on what to recommend currently. PC will be gaming on 1440p 144Hz G-Sync compatible display.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Keisari posted:

What country are you in? Finland
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Shitposting?
Machine learning, specifically looking to build a CycleGAN to process 1024x1024 images. My dataset is currently at 6000 images, but will probably grow to the 10000s. It doesn't need to prepare a model in a day, but I'd like it to train a model in a reasonable amount of time. For architecture search I'm fine with letting it run for weeks.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
I'd like to survive with around 1000 euros. (For core unit hardware, excluding software and peripheral gear)
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow?
Python, tensorflow & keras.

You can presume that the graphics card shortage is over, and prices have returned to normal.

I'm looking into building a small machine learning rig which I could easily expand with an additional graphics card(s). I'm especially confused as to how CPU-GPU-RAM bottlenecks form in a machine-learning rig. For ram I'll probably just put 32GB, and load the dataset in batches and as far as I know that should be fine. If I buy one graphics card, for example rtx 2080 TI, is it cost-efficient processing-wise to try to cobble mid-grade graphics cards to also jam into the rig for parallel processing? I know truly lovely cards are probably just more trouble than worth. Or should I ditch 2080 altogether in favor, for example, 4 mid-grade cards? (I don't know what those would be)

I've used some online GPU-CPU bottleneck calculators, but they are designed for gaming, which as far as I understand have different loads and therefore bottleneck dynamics work quite differently.

Any tips would be much appreciated, thanks!

I did LSTM training with a 1070 in Tensorflow in Linux and it was about 5-10x faster than an i5 7600k. I did some machine vision as well but it was awhile back and I forget the improvement, though I remember it feeling significant.

The only weirdness I remember was doing it through Docker and that tensorflow natively supports Nvidia GPU training now, so most of the old setup “tutorials” are worthless

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

teagone posted:

Doing a new build for another friend of mine who managed to snag a 5800X at a decent price. They also secured a kit of 2x32GB of DDR4 3600 RAM (lol) and an MSI 3060 Ti GPU. Here's the rest of the build I put together for them: PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($137.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB VENTUS 3X OC Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 205M MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GT 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua P12 redux-1700 PWM 70.75 CFM 120 mm Fan ($13.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $331.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-05 17:11 EDT-0400

I have leftover P14 redux fans from an older build that I'm giving them. Everything else looks good? The Fuma 2 should be good enough for a 5800X inside that Lian Li case, right? I plan on moving the included Lian Li fans as the top exhaust, put my old 140mm Noctua Redux fans as intake, and then another 120mm Noctua redux as the rear exhaust. Don't plan on overclocking any. I'm also reading up on 1TB NVMe drives atm, and am undecided on what to recommend currently. PC will be gaming on 1440p 144Hz G-Sync compatible display.

I would be moderately worried about that case's airflow situation, but it might be fine. The front panel has stifled airflow, with air having to make a 90 degree turn to enter the case from those side vents (something air generally doesn't like to do). It's probably fine as long as you won't be slamming the CPU too hard for extended periods of time, but if you are expecting heavy workloads, have your friend consider a case with a mesh front panel instead, like https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Tempered-Gaming-Computer-CA-1J4-00S1WN-01/dp/B079G3TNDM/

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I would be moderately worried about that case's airflow situation, but it might be fine. The front panel has stifled airflow, with air having to make a 90 degree turn to enter the case from those side vents (something air generally doesn't like to do). It's probably fine as long as you won't be slamming the CPU too hard for extended periods of time, but if you are expecting heavy workloads, have your friend consider a case with a mesh front panel instead, like https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Tempered-Gaming-Computer-CA-1J4-00S1WN-01/dp/B079G3TNDM/

Would the Fuma 2 fit ok in that? The Versa H18 product page says max clearance for CPU cooler height is 155, which I think the Fuma is. Would the Fuma 2 be pressed up right against the glass side panel in that case? Lol.

[edit] Just read a couple builds using that case and a Fuma 2 and there's about 3mm of clearance between the glass side panel and the cooler. Nice.

[edit 2] Actually, dang, I'm going to my friends place this weekend to do the build since that's when we're both free and looks like that case at that price won't arrive until July 13th at the earliest. :rip: I'm reading more about the Lian Li 205M and looks like there's a little over an inch of space in the gap between where the fans mount and the front panel. Should be ok, right? Especially with 2x140mm fans up front?

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 5, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

teagone posted:

Would the Fuma 2 fit ok in that? The Versa H18 product page says max clearance for CPU cooler height is 155, which I think the Fuma is. Would the Fuma 2 be pressed up right against the glass side panel in that case? Lol.

[edit] Just read a couple builds using that case and a Fuma 2 and there's about 3mm of clearance between the glass side panel and the cooler. Nice.

[edit 2] Actually, dang, I'm going to my friends place this weekend to do the build since that's when we're both free and looks like that case at that price won't arrive until July 13th at the earliest. :rip: I'm reading more about the Lian Li 205M and looks like there's a little over an inch of space in the gap between where the fans mount and the front panel. Should be ok, right? Especially with 2x140mm fans up front?

With all those fans, it'll probably be fine and I'm just being a worrywart. At least, I don't think the user reviews would be so good if it ran like an oven. This is something that's really hard to determine just by looking at pictures and spec sheets, and there is hardly anyone who tries to review cases empirically (Gamers Nexus does a good job, but they haven't been reviewing many micro ATX cases).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

teagone posted:

I'm also reading up on 1TB NVMe drives atm, and am undecided on what to recommend currently.

Whatever size WD SN550 they can afford