Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It begins with half of humanity dying too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

MonsieurChoc posted:

It begins with half of humanity dying too.

They mention this in passing but don't dwell on it at all, or even fully explore the implications. It never really gets taken seriously until the Origins manga and OVA - which is a sequence that really got to me. Spent half the episode getting to know these characters just to have them gassed by Dozle to do a genocide on Earth.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They mention this in passing but don't dwell on it at all, or even fully explore the implications. It never really gets taken seriously until the Origins manga and OVA - which is a sequence that really got to me. Spent half the episode getting to know these characters just to have them gassed by Dozle to do a genocide on Earth.

Yeah a lot of that stuff was like what happened between MGS games where there is super important stuff happening in the background that is only really shown in supplementary material.

The Origins OVA cemented in my mind that Zeon Deikun just worked himself to death. Zabis weren’t afraid to assassinate people, but in that case just were happy to take advantage of the situation. Deikun looked and acted like he was averaging two hours of sleep a week. Edit: dude basically had 30s in Inland Empire and Shivers and that’s not a good thing.

Also I like how Hathaway implies that the events of Unicorn didn’t matter at all. Obviously it’s a franchise so nothing can be allowed to change, but it’s also pretty lol that Banager, Mineva, Full Frontal, and the Federation forces trying to prevent the everything thought the release of the secret “real” constitution would matter. That’s why you read theory, otherwise you just fuse with your mobile suit and/or explode in green light.

Pulcinella has issued a correction as of 01:04 on Jul 4, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pulcinella posted:

Yeah a lot of that stuff was like what happened between MGS games where there is super important stuff happening in the background that is only really shown in supplementary material.

The Origins OVA cemented in my mind that Zeon Deikun just worked himself to death. Zabis weren’t afraid to assassinate people, but in that case just were happy to take advantage of the situation. Deikun looked and acted like he was averaging two hours of sleep a week.

Also I like how Hathaway implies that the events of Unicorn didn’t matter at all. Obviously it’s a franchise so nothing can be allowed to change, but it’s also pretty lol that Banager, Mineva, Full Frontal, and the Federation forces trying to prevent the everything thought the release of the secret “real” constitution would matter. That’s why you read theory, otherwise you just fuse with your mobile suit and/or explode in green light.

The lack of theory is a massive problem for the Universal Century timeline. Without any real theory of imperialism or Marxism, the reactions against the Federation always fall in line with fascistic or idealistic measures. Instead of overthrowing the capitalist structure of the Federation and putting an end to imperialism, the only real solution must be to force everyone into space and accelerate human evolution until everyone's a New Type who can achieve deeper understanding with psychic Na'vi mind sex.

The existence of New Types and its implications are the UC's biggest mistake conceptually.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Sakura Quest, somewhere around halfway through the show. It's a show about rural Japanese towns and their slow decline along with attempts at revivication. I quite liked it.

Thanks I'll check it out

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
g gundam is the best gundam

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Tabletops posted:

g gundam is the best gundam

It's definitely in the top ten.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I like that newtypes went from having really strong compassion and feelings for everyone to just space magic for wizardry

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Could I watch Hathaway and enjoy it if the only gundam series I've seen is gundam 0080?

btw thanks to the goon who linked the youtube playlist for 0080, that was great

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tomino can't have the word communism be said in Gundam because then he would get stabbed

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

Could I watch Hathaway and enjoy it if the only gundam series I've seen is gundam 0080?

Probably. All you really need to know is that the 25 years between 0080 and Hathaway has been filled with constant wars and the Federation just gets more and more corrupt and useless every year. You'll miss some references but you'll be able to pick up the important bits through context.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Newtypes are weird, because the Ideological Newtype (Zeonism) is different from the actually-existing Newtype (psychic child created through extreme trauma). It's kind of why I like them, really. There's this deep idealistic belief in their potential to change the future, and they never do because like we keep saying, these motherfuckers lost Marx. They're just exploited as weapons of mass destruction by the loving Aerospace Industry. Literally a bunch of rich dudes in a smoke-filled room in the back of a McDonald's ran the AEUG.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Gripweed posted:

It's definitely in the top ten.

the second best is turn a

basically cc and future century are the best timelines

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

net work error posted:

I like that newtypes went from having really strong compassion and feelings for everyone to just space magic for wizardry

that exact weirdness is why we got eva

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Mecha Gojira posted:

Newtypes are weird, because the Ideological Newtype (Zeonism) is different from the actually-existing Newtype (psychic child created through extreme trauma). It's kind of why I like them, really. There's this deep idealistic belief in their potential to change the future, and they never do because like we keep saying, these motherfuckers lost Marx. They're just exploited as weapons of mass destruction by the loving Aerospace Industry. Literally a bunch of rich dudes in a smoke-filled room in the back of a McDonald's ran the AEUG.

everything about dealing with anaheim electronics on the moon in zeta is just absolutely top tier poo poo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

Tomino can't have the word communism be said in Gundam because then he would get stabbed

It is possible to approach the imperialism problem without necessarily being communist. Iron Blooded Orphans is about a failed liberal revolution which achieves a lot of its aims by being rehabilitated into the system.

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

It helps to watch the Gundam movie adaptations and Char's Counterattack, which were all put up on Netflix - but you only really need to watch Char's Counterattack to get what Noa's deal is. Not knowing the backstory isn't a hindrance though, since the political dynamics of the world are immediately apparent.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 10:35 on Jul 4, 2021

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It is possible to approach the imperialism problem without necessarily being communist. Iron Blooded Orphans is about a failed liberal revolution which achieves a lot of its aims by being rehabilitated into the system.

They did stab that one communist guy in Japan, though.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

it sure would be cool if someone would license shinzo keigo manga

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It is a bit much that every woman in Noa's crew is a stonecold smokeshow, but w/e.
as far as rebellion leaders go, it could be, ah, worse...

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It is pretty funny that Char's inner circle all just assume he's a pedophile and are OK with it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It is pretty funny that Char's inner circle all just assume he's a pedophile and are OK with it.

they see a guy who just doesn't want a pussy thats all sad and tired out and assume he's into kids. checks out.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

space epstein, baby.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
barring literally having theory as part of your work i can't think of a better demonstration of its importance than how gundam has a literal explicit deus ex machina powered by empathy and emotion that saves millions at the end of CCA actual change absolutely nothing whatsoever; all the problems and contradictions of the system persist unaltered

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

when quess first boards that neo-neo-zeon ship a red shirt immediately catcalls her

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

atelier morgan posted:

barring literally having theory as part of your work i can't think of a better demonstration of its importance than how gundam has a literal explicit deus ex machina powered by empathy and emotion that saves millions at the end of CCA actual change absolutely nothing whatsoever; all the problems and contradictions of the system persist unaltered

counterpoint: late uc is kind of bullshit and axis shock would be a historical singularity that would change poo poo as much as world war 1 did

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Stairmaster posted:

counterpoint: late uc is kind of bullshit and axis shock would be a historical singularity that would change poo poo as much as world war 1 did

Would it? There had been multiple colony drops and colony lasers, it's not like near apocalypses would be novel to anyone at that point

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stairmaster posted:

when quess first boards that neo-neo-zeon ship a red shirt immediately catcalls her

They must've given Gyunei the pedophile circuit when they made him a newtype cyborg too, because he's constantly preoccupied with how he's going to win away the affections of a 13 year old.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ringo Roadagain posted:

it sure would be cool if someone would license the green blood manga

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Would it? There had been multiple colony drops and colony lasers, it's not like near apocalypses would be novel to anyone at that point

I meant the whole psychic pheonomena pushing back an asteroid that was witnessed by the breadth of humanity

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I'm a little more than halfway through Iron Blooded Orphans - I'm enjoying it, but goddamn it is the absolute most surface-level 101 exploration of the elements of it's world. I appreciate the fact that the entire conflict is set up as a conspiracy to goad the underclasses into an armed revolt so the powers that be will have an excuse to decimate them and break their will for a few generations, but the characters themselves are kind of...well, dumb as hell.

When it comes to having an informed worldview, I can give a pass to the illiterate war orphans raised in a PMC, but I expect a little more awareness and historical context from the figurehead of the resistance being sent to earth to negotiate for Martian independence. I'm only on episode 18, but I find myself hoping that there's a reveal that Kudelia was hand-picked for the position she finds herself in because she sure as hell didn't get there on the merit of her convictions or ideology, because she has none. As far as I can tell, her entire plan is to travel to earth to beg some rich guy to let them be independent.

A particularly frustrating part was The Dort 3 massacre. They arrive and meet all the union members, who are all gung-ho to kick off an utterly suicidal armed uprising against the vastly superior forces of Gjallarhorn with all of 3 poo poo-tier tanks and about 2 dozen assault rifles, instead of playing to their strengths and striking? Like, they're already a UNION, they're clearly organized, but the show doesn't think to do anything but jump straight to armed resistance like idiots. They don't even adopt guerilla tactics, they just do the stupidest goddamn thing possible and choose to confront Gjallarhorn and just hope that they aren't gunned down in the street. It doesn't go well.

I just wish Kudelia was characterized as having some kind of firm ideology, convictions, or means to an end instead of being portrayed as such a naive waif. I guess they wanted her to have an arc, regardless of how much sense that makes.

McKilligan has issued a correction as of 06:04 on Jul 5, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's been a while since I've seen IBO, but I figured that Gjallarhorn's strike breaking methods were already so effective that the workers saw no other option than armed resistance.

Anyway, commenting on the rest of your concerns would be a major spoiler. Just keep watching and see what happens. Your impression of Kudelia being a naif isn't unfounded.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

hathaway was good

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!
attack on titan had some pretty good theory moments

(iirc the "human nature" thing here is an poor translation but i couldn't find a scan of the manga conversation just this lovely caption of the anime)

then she seals herself in a crystal until it's too late to have any impact on events

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AoT is really impressive to me because it's one of a few stories to really dwell on the existential horror of being shackled by the causal chains of history. The more you know about the world the less sense it makes, until the past itself becomes a tyrant that dooms the world to unavoidable cycles of violence.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

AoT is really impressive to me because it's one of a few stories to really dwell on the existential horror of being shackled by the causal chains of history. The more you know about the world the less sense it makes, until the past itself becomes a tyrant that dooms the world to unavoidable cycles of violence.

Yeah, it's pretty great, though it was probably ill served by the manga industry death march pace. Those last few chapters could have done with a few more months in the oven. Or possibly the opposite in that he lost confidence in the first draft and filled it with more words.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
AoT becoming a big deal prob had more of an impact even if only by making it the authors breadmaker
although it likely was since the first draft he changed his mind or wrote himself into a wall

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

AoT is a pretty good manga but the lore is real bad and every time theres a page with loads of dialogue you know the story is about to make less sense

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Thank you for becoming a mass murderer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HerraS posted:

Thank you for becoming a mass murderer