Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

ErrEff posted:

Checked out Xcloud on my iPhone, had to use a VPN since it’s not officially available in my country.

Tried Celeste and it was shockingly responsive even though my connection had frames dropping. The touch controls were bad, though. It keeps the iOS quirk where the phone haptics respond if you hold-press something. Maybe disabling 3D/Haptic Touch fixes that.
Do you really want to try and play a game like Celeste with touch controls? I can see a turn based game or navigating the system that way but a real time thing seems bananas to me. Touch screens are really bad IMO.

Connecting a controller to a modern phone or computer is relatively easy these days and so much better - there's even a lot of phone clips available now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

I said come in! posted:

The Nvidia chip on OG Xbox had a lot of custom code on it, and a custom version of Direct X, which is why emulating that console is very difficult to do. The OG Xbox, despite popular opinion, is not just a PC inside a console case. It really was its own unique closed system that could do a lot and was pretty powerful for the time.

As a PC Guy at the time, early DirectX 8 ports of Xbox games were REALLY frustrating. That early Halo port is a good example - yeah, Gearbox hosed some stuff up, but they were also dealing with a game whose origjnal version expected features a TON of people's otherwise-fine GPUs just didn't have.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Akuma posted:

I wish every platform handled cloud saves the way Xbox does, where it just works.

I had Limbo installed on a VCR Xbox I got from someone YEARS ago. I redownloaded it on my Series X and it brought over the save no hassle.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Laserface posted:

You can run Spotify on your Xbox while playing games. Three fields entertainment provided instructions on how to do it to avoid licensing costs for good music in Dangerous Driving.

Yeah, I found that it's so well integrated into the Xbox (especially being able to control it through the home button) that I cancelled my Apple Music subscription and signed up to Spotify instead. :D

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Fanatic posted:

Yeah, I found that it's so well integrated into the Xbox (especially being able to control it through the home button) that I cancelled my Apple Music subscription and signed up to Spotify instead. :D

derail but Spotify is vastly superior to apple music in every possible way so you did the right thing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Not if you use any apple stuff tbh

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
iPhone/iMac/AppleTV user here. Apple Music blows and Spotify rules.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's a dumb hill to die on but blaring Spotify over your game and turning the music down is the "throw your battery operated radio in your backseat" music solution that we are stuck with and it still pales in comparison to the games that did it right during the OG Box days, like the GTA Double Pack was mind-blowing when it released for Xbox.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I used Spotify when I played Wreckfest and it was incredibly seamless and functional. The fact that it is instantly accessible from the home menu with full controls is awesome, or you can just use your phone. I can't imagine it being any better than that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

American McGay posted:

I used Spotify when I played Wreckfest and it was incredibly seamless and functional. The fact that it is instantly accessible from the home menu with full controls is awesome, or you can just use your phone. I can't imagine it being any better than that.

The versimillitude of it being projected in game by your car that you are driving and not just a straight up replacement of any game music that exists at all. But I am willing to say I'm in the extreme niche on this one.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Not if you use any apple stuff tbh

I do and it still fuckin sucked. the curated playlists are also bullshit, at least the ones I was interested in.

American McGay posted:

iPhone/iMac/AppleTV user here. Apple Music blows and Spotify rules.

correct.

the UI is nicer
Love/dislike works as you would expect it to
you can share playlists with other spotify users because not as many people use Apple Music
Spotifys algorithm is better and recommending poo poo than whatever dweeb got the job of curating playlists.

I put my Apple music playlists and loved songs/albums into spotify and immediately it was recommending me new stuff that was perfect for me, and still 1 year on after switching. Apple musics hit ratio on 'for you weekly' or whatever was so horrendously bad and out of touch with my tastes I spent several hours reading the internet trying to figure out what I was doing wrong to not get anything out of it. Turns out its just fuckin garbage!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Doctor Nutt posted:

The versimillitude of it being projected in game by your car that you are driving and not just a straight up replacement of any game music that exists at all. But I am willing to say I'm in the extreme niche on this one.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. It was cool to be able to control the music through an in-game radio. Having eurobeat that began playing as a race was starting in Sega GT was awesome since it would pick up as the race progressed, for example.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

You could burn music to the hdd during the 360’s early days. There’s 2 dozen songs I immediately associate with Oblivion purely because I heard them on repeat 100 times while playing it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Is xCloud on consoles yet? I just tried it on my Mac, it seemed OK for slower games but DOOM Eternal was not good. It'd be really good to just hop straight into games to try them, I assume that's the plan.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Lube Enthusiast posted:

You could burn music to the hdd during the 360’s early days. There’s 2 dozen songs I immediately associate with Oblivion purely because I heard them on repeat 100 times while playing it

The Wii did this too and let certain games use it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

. It'd be really good to just hop straight into games to try them, I assume that's the plan.

Yeah they said they're gonna use Xcloud to demo console games in the future. Flight sim will be first though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The 360 had a whole thing where if you burned music to the hard drive and played it (or played it off of an iPod, or a media share on your network or whatever...) it'd automatically mute the in-game music to stop it from getting in the way. I'm surprised and sad that nothing's imitated this since.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

The Kins posted:

The 360 had a whole thing where if you burned music to the hard drive and played it (or played it off of an iPod, or a media share on your network or whatever...) it'd automatically mute the in-game music to stop it from getting in the way. I'm surprised and sad that nothing's imitated this since.

The 360 also had a system wide setting that would set all games vertical look to invert. Don’t know why that disappeared either

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

irpoweroutlet posted:

The 360 also had a system wide setting that would set all games vertical look to invert. Don’t know why that disappeared either

Because invert look is Wrong

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

invert look is the way

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

The wrong way

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Soul Glo posted:

The wrong way

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

controlling my dude like an airplane makes me feel alive

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sony still has the universal invert thing on ps5 but it doesn't work half the time.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Max Payne on PS2 broke me of my invert perversion. Aiming with standard controls makes more sense to me now as I imagine my crosshairs are my eyeballs looking around or actually just pointing a gun at stuff.

The real sickos are the people who invert mouse look on PC.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I can force myself to play a game non-inverted but I assume it's like how you can force a person to write with their non-dominant hand. I've always thought of the stick like a neck and thinking of it like eyes instead doesn't make it not awkward. One of the main reasons I got the Elite controller was so I can make the second preset exactly the same as normal just always inverted because there's some games in 2021 that still don't give you the option.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
A Plague Tale next gen patch just came out. 42gb update on X

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

You can train yourself away from inverted; I did it, and all it took was not playing any games that use the right stick for 3 months. Easy!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

More of A Plague Tome at this point.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I used to play with invert pitch on growing up, but that's because my first exposure to a game where it mattered was SOCOM 1 and that game had its invert setting on by default

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Whatever Goldeneye does when you're holding R is the correct way.

Also flying a vehicle is different than aiming a gun. Flying is always inverted.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Akuma posted:

You can train yourself away from inverted; I did it, and all it took was not playing any games that use the right stick for 3 months. Easy!

Deadly premonition 2 cured me

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

Deadly premonition 2 cured me
lol that was actually the last game I played with right look to aim, I think.

That was a bad game. Put me off 3D games altogether for months. Yuck.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

irpoweroutlet posted:

It’s hard to find good info online about that feature, called ‘Game Defaults’, as it’s been so long and the name is terribly generic, but I did find this support article for Fallout 3:

https://help.bethesda.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/10046/

quote:

THE CONTROLS FOR FALLOUT 3 ARE SWAPPED; THE LEFT ANALOG STICK IS THE CAMERA AND THE RIGHT STICK IS MOVEMENT. CAN I SWITCH THEM?

There is no setting in the game to do this, however it can be fixed. This is controlled by the Profile options you configure through the 360 Guide. Microsoft requires all Xbox 360 games to use the profile settings configured there.

To correct this:

Open up the Profile.
Open up the Guide.
Select the Profile.
Go to Game Defaults.
Select Action.
There is a Movement field. Switch it from Right Stick to Left Stick

This feature was kinda hidden, so seeing Bethesda support it so fully that you couldn’t configure it in-game is funny.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Y inversion is for olds, X inversion is for complete madmen.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

American McGay posted:

Whatever Goldeneye does when you're holding R is the correct way.

Also flying a vehicle is different than aiming a gun. Flying is always inverted.

Traveling through the city with your batcape in a Batman Arkham game? That’s inverted.

Controlling the flight of a remote batarang? Nope, not inverted! :shepface:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Mierenneuker posted:

Traveling through the city with your batcape in a Batman Arkham game? That’s inverted.

Controlling the flight of a remote batarang? Nope, not inverted! :shepface:

I have never ever been able to pilot the batarangs in those games.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Inverted movement controls

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

normal vs inverted is a easy divide, it's just if you see yourself as the character moving their eyes or as an abnormally focused domininatrix that grabs the character by the back of the head to make them look at things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Is xCloud on consoles yet? I just tried it on my Mac, it seemed OK for slower games but DOOM Eternal was not good. It'd be really good to just hop straight into games to try them, I assume that's the plan.

Not yet.

I just tried it on iOS though. Seemed fine for Into the Gungeon, which is a very fast-paced game, but it seemed quite responsive.

Then I tried Sea of Thieves and got like 1.5 seconds of latency.

Also every time I’ve tried it the sound has been hosed up and crackly.