Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Captain Monkey posted:

That’s not even enough distance to leave my state.

Leave the euros alone, they don't get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Lol that's weekend trip driving distance

Imagine driving a few hours and complaining things aren't different than where you started

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Manager Hoyden posted:

Lol that's weekend trip driving distance

Imagine driving a few hours and complaining things aren't different than where you started

Talking to Europeans about the size and scale of the US is always fun. They always lord "you never leave your country" like it's easy for someone in middle America to just up and leave. Telling them I drove for 28 hours straight averaging about 70mph and barely got about 2/3rds of the way across usually puts it into some perspective.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
There's also nothing to see in Europe except for castles that are different from the castles in your country. The cut down all their forests, and all their mountains are owned by the inbred children of nazi collaborators.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Oh wow you took a train to another country and had lunch in a cafe. Fantastic. I stayed in my country and saw a landscape of such unique breath taking majesty that the first descriptions of them from European explorers were dismissed as ravings brought on by temporary madness.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's more that I think you can appreciate the differences in both small and big things, and find joy from that.

Like going into a church that's built in a particular style and reading all the stuff that makes it unique, looking at the lives of people so far removed from you but whose memories have been left on stone and wood for us to read. It's not life changing, or even particularly wonderful, but it is special and something I appreciate. I know not everyone is going to and sometimes a big change is great too.

It's just that if you boil things down to their bare essentials it easily becomes a flattening of experience that robs you of any joy. "Oh you went and ate in new places and slept in a new bed" doesn't really describe going on holiday to Rome does it? It's technically accurate, but it ignores a lot of the fun stuff.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Any distance you wouldn't bicycle in a day is a long distance.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Any distance you wouldn't bicycle in a day is a long distance.
The closest grocery store to me is 12.6 miles away.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fizzymercury posted:

The closest grocery store to me is 12.6 miles away.

Cool that you have a grocery store that isn't a long distance away?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Are there actually any US states you couldn't leave without driving 500 miles in some direction? (With the obvious exception of Hawaii I mean)

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Texas is 790 miles long and 660 miles wide

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

Texas is 790 miles long and 660 miles wide

Meaning the farthest you can be from the nearest border is 330 miles.

Alaska is another possibility but I'm not sure if it's big enough and can't be bothered to look it up.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

docbeard posted:

Meaning the farthest you can be from the nearest border is 330 miles.

Alaska is another possibility but I'm not sure if it's big enough and can't be bothered to look it up.

You're assuming all distances as the crow flies rather than following the highways though

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Only a complete idiot would travel more than like maybe 100 km by road lmao. That's what railroads are for.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Getting flashbacks to another thread where a eurogoon moved to the US and was excited to drive from new York to Washington to "see the sights". I hope he enjoyed days of corn fields and gas station food.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

You're assuming all distances as the crow flies rather than following the highways though

I guess that's a good point and I did say drive. Though I suppose an off road vehicle would have fewer limitations in that regard.

Now I'm curious.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Only a complete idiot would travel more than like maybe 100 km by road lmao. That's what railroads are for.

That would be nice but my country intensely hates its people and providing anything useful for them, including transit

Travel is either drive or fly then drive

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That wouldn't have happened if you had a gun. :smuggo:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

There are only a few states where it is legal to travel by gun which makes it infeasible as a long distance transportation method

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Cool that you have a grocery store that isn't a long distance away?

Yes, come bike a bare minimum 25 miles a day in 98f with 70% minimum humidity. That's not long at all.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The best burner on the stove is the back-left one.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

back left burner of the stove is where the Dutch oven gathers dust

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

3D Megadoodoo posted:

:(

Gaius Marius posted:

Getting flashbacks to another thread where a eurogoon moved to the US and was excited to drive from new York to Washington to "see the sights". I hope he enjoyed days of corn fields and gas station food.

I've done NY to Oregon, it's a great drive if you're smart enough to get motels outside the cities. Absolutely beautiful.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fizzymercury posted:

Yes, come bike a bare minimum 25 miles a day in 98f with 70% minimum humidity. That's not long at all.

I'd get an automobile for such a scenario. LIFE HACK.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

nudists are gross

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

The best burner on the stove is the back-left one.

It's front right, and it's not even close. Back Right is for soups and things you don't have to touch.

hawowanlawow posted:

back left burner of the stove is where the Dutch oven gathers dust

Do people really not put all their cookware back when not in use?

Shibawanko posted:

nudists are gross

Both the concept and the people embracing it just seem repulsive.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Shibawanko posted:

nudists are gross

Nudists are also dishonest. They say "oh this is about freedom and naturalism" but then look at their solutions to life situations

Isn't it gross to rest your taint on anything you sit on? Well we use towels as a barrier between the taint and the surface

Don't you have to carry things? Well we wear a pouch necklace thing around our neck for that

How do you keep the sun off? Oh well we wear hats

What about how rough the ground it? We wear sandals too

So they get the function of clothes and why humans in their current biological form have always worn them. They'll wear clothes, just not the ones that cover up the sex characteristics. You get down to it and the whole thing is about showing off dicks and vaginas. Which is fine of course, but don't dress it up and definitely don't bring kids into it.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

All that "we live in a simulation" stuff is just lovely spiritualism for atheists/agnostics, and I cannot wait for the trend to die out.

Edit: it sits right next to the Mandela Effect for bullshit believed by people who's egos are too fragile to just admit they're fallable humans.

Fashionable Jorts has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Jul 5, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fashionable Jorts posted:

All that "we live in a simulation" stuff is just lovely spiritualism for atheists/agnostics, and I cannot wait for the trend to die out.

Edit: it sits right next to the Mandela Effect for bullshit believed by people who's egos are too fragile to just admit they're fallable humans.

It's just Solipsism with a modern spin, I doubt it's going anywhere.

Mandela Effect is great though, especially if you go down the Geography rabbit hole. So many dumbass people making hour long Youtubes of their complete failure to know any geography whatsoever.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

It's just Solipsism with a modern spin, I doubt it's going anywhere.

Mandela Effect is great though, especially if you go down the Geography rabbit hole. So many dumbass people making hour long Youtubes of their complete failure to know any geography whatsoever.

"Could it be that I have a poo poo memory? No, no, that can't be it. I'm the protagonist, clearly there's some elaborate dimensional shifts and I'm falling through other realities. That's the most obvious answer."

Edit: I feel like the simulation stuff is different than solipsism. It's people taking odd coincidences and interesting 'quirks' of the world around us and prescribing a higher power to it. Just instead of God, spirits, or what have you, it's reworded to be computer software since thats what's trendy right now.

However, when people talk about there's no way of knowing you're just a brain in a jar being stimulated by electrodes, anyone who takes it more seriously than "that's a neat thought experiment" is combining that brand of spiritualism, solipsism, and an inflated ego.

Fashionable Jorts has a new favorite as of 07:04 on Jul 5, 2021

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fashionable Jorts posted:

"Could it be that I have a poo poo memory? No, no, that can't be it. I'm the protagonist, clearly there's some elaborate dimensional shifts and I'm falling through other realities. That's the most obvious answer."

Edit: I feel like the simulation stuff is different than solipsism. It's people taking odd coincidences and interesting 'quirks' of the world around us and prescribing a higher power to it. Just instead of God, spirits, or what have you, it's reworded to be computer software since thats what's trendy right now.

However, when people talk about there's no way of knowing you're just a brain in a jar being stimulated by electrodes, anyone who takes it more seriously than "that's a neat thought experiment" is combining that brand of spiritualism, solipsism, and an inflated ego.

"I'm just having fun!" I say as I obsessively, compulsively make long videos and continue to parrot the idea long after everyone-- including me-- have stopped laughing about it.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

When my uncle was deployed in Germany, he picked up a car to take home with him back to Toronto. The local German he bought it from recommended a really good mechanic in Edmonton, and told my uncle to just "pop over" for maintenance.

33+ hours of non-stop driving each way.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

If we had a full appreciation of our own insignificance I don't think much would get done. I know thinking that stuff only happens to oneself is what a lot of people mean when they think "protagonist of reality". But it could be because you are the only person you have direct influence over.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Manager Hoyden posted:

Nudists are also dishonest. They say "oh this is about freedom and naturalism" but then look at their solutions to life situations

Isn't it gross to rest your taint on anything you sit on? Well we use towels as a barrier between the taint and the surface

Don't you have to carry things? Well we wear a pouch necklace thing around our neck for that

How do you keep the sun off? Oh well we wear hats

What about how rough the ground it? We wear sandals too

So they get the function of clothes and why humans in their current biological form have always worn them. They'll wear clothes, just not the ones that cover up the sex characteristics. You get down to it and the whole thing is about showing off dicks and vaginas. Which is fine of course, but don't dress it up and definitely don't bring kids into it.

theres a nudist organization here that keeps showing an annoying tv ad about how free they are etc, the whole thing has a vaguely anti-corona measures undertone to it. the newspaper interviewed them and they were like "society is so prudish nowadays, schoolboys even take showers after gym class WEARING PANTS" and i was like yeah theyre perverts

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the worst thing about france is that a lot of swimming pools actually enforce speedos for men, like you cant wear trunks like most dutch men tend to do. you simply have to wear the most ball-squeezing, dickshape-revealing type of men's swimming apparel or you can't swim. i think the rationalization is something like "trunks could carry dirt" but thats clearly bullshit

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Shibawanko posted:

the worst thing about france is that a lot of swimming pools actually enforce speedos for men, like you cant wear trunks like most dutch men tend to do. you simply have to wear the most ball-squeezing, dickshape-revealing type of men's swimming apparel or you can't swim. i think the rationalization is something like "trunks could carry dirt" but thats clearly bullshit

I wouldn’t call that the worst thing about France, but it’s pretty crummy!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

it's even government policy. i picture a perverted bureaucrat, giddily rubbing his hands at the thought of all of those men who are forced to wear speedos against their will

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Oh no I have to wear actual swimwear to swim in a publicly-funded swimming pool instead of my FREEDOM SHORTS this is worse than

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

It's worse than swimming in shorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Imagine gatekeeping swimwear.