Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Unless i have some mod that's disabling it, the VA won't have two units appear when built in another city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

A Carly Rae Jihad posted:

For the most part I’ve really enjoyed moving up to Deity, but (but!) I wish there was a way to reduce how important starting position feels/seems/is; I hit ‘restart’ considerably more times on a Deity game than on Immortal. Does anyone have advice on either settings or mods (or maybe just attitude adjustments?) for playing on Deity without rerolling until things feel Just Right? I play a lot of Portugal, Maori, and Australia so I tend to gravitate to resource heavy maps with a fair amount of coastline. For game modes, I enable tech shuffle, secret societies, barbarian -> city state thingy, and corporations.

There's one called Better Balanced Start that I don't use but I have heard of streamers using, might check that out

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I think you're describing the way deity is Mr/s Jihad, I have to reload a lot to get a game I'm going to enjoy. A lot a lot. I prefer heroes mode to secret societies though.

twistedmentat posted:

Unless i have some mod that's disabling it, the VA won't have two units appear when built in another city.

BRB going to play an entire game just to figure this out once and for all

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jul 2, 2021

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
I played 1 earnest game with zombies to try them out and it was pretty intense. Literally the entire game was spent focusing on fending off zombies but I didn't fully understand how they worked so it was a little more difficult than it should have been.

Below is a screenshot of my civ shortly before the end of the game. I was up to 5 or 6 cities but some slowly succumbed to the zombies. I would have lost the rest had the game went on much longer. Thankfully I had access to oil because there was no coal or aluminum in my area.

The AI really doesn't do well with zombies, almost every civ looked like Cairo below, and almost every city state was defeated. There was absolutely no way to move on any of the land on the map because almost every tile had a zombie on it. I captured Cairo only because I snuck in from the sea. It was EXTREMELY satisfying to use the religious ability to convert all of those zombies to my control, but it only took a few turns for all the zombies outside the city to kill them all.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 2, 2021

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
To me it seems that the more of the game modes that are enabled, the worse that the AI are at the game.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

ellspurs posted:

To me it seems that the more of the game modes that are enabled, the worse that the AI are at the game.

Oh yeah, the difficulty has plummeted.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Absolutely true, even though I like having the heroes I almost feel like it doesn't count if I win domination with them

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Trick with Arthur I just learned while doing a Mongolia game:

Arthur can turn ANY unit into a questing knight. This includes builders! Later in the game they are way cheaper to make than military units and you can even use a couple build charges then turn them into a questing knight

edit: nevermind I think this is just a bug because you can only do it while they are standing on a tile with a military unit and if you target that unit it will change the builder instead so I think it's probably an exploit

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Stefan Prodan posted:

Trick with Arthur I just learned while doing a Mongolia game:

Arthur can turn ANY unit into a questing knight. This includes builders! Later in the game they are way cheaper to make than military units and you can even use a couple build charges then turn them into a questing knight

edit: nevermind I think this is just a bug because you can only do it while they are standing on a tile with a military unit and if you target that unit it will change the builder instead so I think it's probably an exploit

Works with scouts though.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

buffalo all day posted:

Works with scouts though.

Yeah I did know that part which is still pretty decent

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Well, with dramatic ages, you're definitely bound to get an AI or two dooming themselves to being locked into the 999+ turn bug because they took Culture Industry golden age card.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I love the concept of dramatic ages but the ai just cannot deal with it at all.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Best Friends posted:

I love the concept of dramatic ages but the ai just cannot deal with it at all.

My favorite situation with it was an Immortal game were the Congo was surrounded by Poland, Mapuche, and France. After the first go-round of era changes and losing their first city, Congo continued to poo poo the bed until eventually they were eliminated via rebellion. The entire center of the map was deadzone of free cities that, while fluctuated in size, always had a solid core of Congolese rebellion. RIP

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Yestermoment posted:

Well, with dramatic ages, you're definitely bound to get an AI or two dooming themselves to being locked into the 999+ turn bug because they took Culture Industry golden age card.

oh my god I didn't know this can happen to the CPU also lmao

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm playing Gilgamesh on a Primordial map, Emperor difficulty. Took Hermetic as a little challenge to myself, and am regretting it. Had an early war against my neighbor, Pachacuti, in which I got a few pillages in, leveled up a few war-carts, and stole 2 builders and a settler. However, he and a few other civs are snowballing.

I've comfortably settled a significant chunk of our continent (11 cities) and am finally getting my science online. Rome, tech leader, is 7 techs ahead of me, though I now have more science per turn (140), on turn 169. My economy is very strong (thanks, Quick Deals!).

I have alliances with Rome, France and Canada. Canada and Rome are at war with Pachacuti. I'm thinking of joining the war to get extra Alliance points but I am not sure what my objective should be. I think there's no way I hold onto Sausa here, right? Even if I sweep all of Inca's northern cities here, I don't see any value in holding them. Taking Qusqu would be game-changing but I'd have to go all in on the war, right?

How would you proceed here? What else would you want to see here to make a decision?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Inca has no gold, almost no faith, and only half your army strength. They are committed elsewhere so you're not even gonna have to deal with those units. You have 11 cities which is a LOT at this point of the game.

I would say go all in on the war before someone else takes Cusco. You can probably straight up buy a siege unit or 2 if you don't have any. Raid what you can while you whittle down Sausa's defenses, and then once you take it sweep north and leave some units to defend against reprisals from their capital. Then head back south and take the capital. Your cities are close enough that you're probably OK with loyalty as long as you plonk a governor (ideally the Castellan) into Sausa.

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 3, 2021

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
7 techs ahead isn't that bad fwiw, I've won games where I was behind like 12-15 techs at one point with a science victory

You can catch up a lot by being more efficient later than the AI

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Pillage everything

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Why do you have 285 diplo favor? Are none of the AIs willing to pay a decent price for it?

Build some cheap units you can upgrade soon, upgrade them, and invade. The capital seems to be the only place walled so it shouldn't be too difficult. You do have to commit but it should be well worth it, pillaging is super powerful.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus, what a meatgrinder that turned out to be. I lost, like, 5 or 6 units!

Claimed Sausa, the city to the north and the capital, then peaced out. I didn't realize that those terrace farms would disappear though, so now everyone in Qusqu is starving and homeless. Oh well, war is hell.

I've got a couple power plants online and research labs in nearly every city, so it looks like smooth sailing from here on out.

Oh, and I did let my diplo favor pile up. I sell it off regularly but I like a small stockpile in case a proposal comes up in the world congress that would just completely gently caress me if I let it pass.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Pillage everything

be sure to put on Raid/Total War cards first whichever you have

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I won a culture victory by launching two completely unprovoked nukes on Vietnam, and then writing a protest song about it.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

resting bort face posted:

I won a culture victory by launching two completely unprovoked nukes on Vietnam, and then writing a protest song about it.
I love this game

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I once won a Diplomatic Victory by nuking the person narrowly in first place for the Nobel Prize, so that I could win it.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I do kinda miss the feature in V where, immediately after you built the first nuke, all the leaders would call you up to say, "What the gently caress, rear end in a top hat?!"

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
To lay this to rest Chiucuito (right of pic) has built Venetian Arsenal. Ollantaytwoboats has built a Privateer (bottom left), and two of the ships have appeared in the city/harbour, and not on the other city's Arsenal tile itself.

Fun game, now I just have to decide if I'm going to play it out! I have also very sadly determined that as the Inca, if you build a Ski resort, you can no longer work the tile. Win some lose some!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I won this for the first time yesterday. Diplomatic victory on King level where I beat three guys way stronger than I was! I was a big fan of Civ IV back in the day and never got into Civ V. So far I am liking this and like the huge amount of wonders, civs, and overall mechanics.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Marmaduke! posted:

To lay this to rest Chiucuito (right of pic) has built Venetian Arsenal. Ollantaytwoboats has built a Privateer (bottom left), and two of the ships have appeared in the city/harbour, and not on the other city's Arsenal tile itself.

Fun game, now I just have to decide if I'm going to play it out! I have also very sadly determined that as the Inca, if you build a Ski resort, you can no longer work the tile. Win some lose some!

What if the city building the privateer didn't have a harbor, though?

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Pillage everything

What in particular is strong about pillaging everything? I've mostly just been using it to heal units when convenient.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Frush posted:

What in particular is strong about pillaging everything? I've mostly just been using it to heal units when convenient.

You get shitloads of gold and stuff.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

HappyCamperGL posted:

You get shitloads of gold and stuff.
It also slows down enemy yields

But mostly the free poo poo. Especially carded right. Also light cavalry leveled right. Just stupid

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

Staltran posted:

What if the city building the privateer didn't have a harbor, though?

They just both appear on the cIty centre tile on the coast, and you need to move one of them off.

On a different note, if you try to recruit a barbarian naval unit with no city on the coast or a harbour, you are charged for it but it doesn't appear.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I did have a similar situation this latest game, I used Boudica next to a barbarian settler on a neighbour's tile being used to build an encampment. Instead of being zapped outside of their territory, the settler just disappeared...

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

How do you all handle building and improving tiles in this one? With the builders having limited charges is it a good idea to keep pumping them out and improving tiles or do I just not worry about it for the most part. These things and building roads are a pain in the rear end in this one. That's one thing I could never get with about Civ games. My empire just gets too big and I can't remember what the hell I'm doing at any given point. In my current game I'm Cyrus and I elimintated Lautaro and Genghis Khan and boxed Roosevelt in tight. But now I have all this territory and all these cities and can't possibly remember what I'm even doing with all these tiles. Having lots of fun though.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Kawalimus posted:

How do you all handle building and improving tiles in this one? With the builders having limited charges is it a good idea to keep pumping them out and improving tiles or do I just not worry about it for the most part. These things and building roads are a pain in the rear end in this one. That's one thing I could never get with about Civ games. My empire just gets too big and I can't remember what the hell I'm doing at any given point. In my current game I'm Cyrus and I elimintated Lautaro and Genghis Khan and boxed Roosevelt in tight. But now I have all this territory and all these cities and can't possibly remember what I'm even doing with all these tiles. Having lots of fun though.

Improve a fuckton of tiles. With most civilizations, if you're playing peacefully, your midgame goal should be to rush towards Feudalism so that you can crank out builders with five charges instead of three (and give +3 food to any triangular arrangement of farms). On the other hand, building roads manually isn't very important, but you will eventually want a military engineer to build railroads between all your cities.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

Improve a fuckton of tiles. With most civilizations, if you're playing peacefully, your midgame goal should be to rush towards Feudalism so that you can crank out builders with five charges instead of three (and give +3 food to any triangular arrangement of farms). On the other hand, building roads manually isn't very important, but you will eventually want a military engineer to build railroads between all your cities.

I generally also try to get Liang at some point at least to level 2 for aquaculture and to build builders with

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Kawalimus posted:

can't possibly remember what I'm even doing with all these tiles.

Use pins, everywhere. And install the mod that automatically tags your pins with adjacency bonuses. There's also a mod to highlight tiles when you have a builder selected, which color-codes hexes with high- and medium-priority improvements.

Use Shift+A to create a pin, Shift+D to delete a pin, and Shift+S to toggle hide/show pins.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

That all makes sense then. I'll focus more on the builder civics and governor in the next one. Now I've really only been improving the resource tiles and ignoring everything else aside from districts. Still doing very well--will probably ramp up the difficulty more past king once I really hit my stride.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

when you put legendary start but it's 6pm and the world creator is checked out for the day already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think I see a pretty decent spot for the Temple of Artemis there.