Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Sanguinia posted:

Lol, give you two guesses about what most of the comments below the He-man video are full of.

If you guessed bitter incel gen-xers crying about how Teela has been turned into a man, Adam was feminized and the entire show is a bait and switch that will be about SJWs and Wokeness, you win the prize.

He-Man will usher in the dawn of a new soy society. A soyciety if you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

Lol, give you two guesses about what most of the comments below the He-man video are full of.

If you guessed bitter incel gen-xers crying about how Teela has been turned into a man, Adam was feminized and the entire show is a bait and switch that will be about SJWs and Wokeness, you win the prize.

Given the reactions to the Netflix She-Ra (which I question whether half of them even WATCHED the original show back when they were kids) I kind of expected this when we saw Buff Teela and learned she’d basically be the star of the show for a good portion of it.

A large chunk of the fanbase seems to be remarkably thin-skinned and sees the goofy 80’s toy commercial as some holy text that cannot be altered in any way. It’s weird

Now granted, the latter show does have its share of legitimate problems (such as the story kind of falling apart during the final season and Catra’s somewhat rushed redemption arc that sort of brushes aside all the genuinely horrible things she did over the course of the series) but changing/updating a few designs/personalities and giving characters more agency and development ain’t one of them in my opinion.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 3, 2021

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If they have issues about all that then they've not been paying attention the last 40 some years

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Welp, the new Owl House.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Senerio posted:

Welp, the new Owl House.

*in Demoman voice* That LUZ is a bloody SPY

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Funky Valentine posted:

*in Demoman voice* That LUZ is a bloody SPY

Yeah, you don't usually expect your reaction to a Disney Channel kids' show to be "What the ever-loving gently caress?!"

That said, I don't think that the Luzppleganger is a spy, exactly. I think she's a changeling of sorts. Her "job" seems to be "covering" for Luz while Luz is gone. Whether that's temporary or she plans to full-on usurp Luz's human life remains to be seen

I will say that this seems to open the door for some kind of third force. I don't think this is down to Belos. As I understood it, Belos seemed to be building some kind of doorway and wanted Eda's door for that. With the door gone and his own portal apparently still under construction, Belos apparently had no way to send a Luz clone to Earth. Plus there were those letters that Luz's mom was getting from "camp." It's possible that something weird/magical is happening from the Earth side

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Larryb posted:

Given the reactions to the Netflix She-Ra (which I question whether half of them even WATCHED the original show back when they were kids) I kind of expected this when we saw Buff Teela and learned she’d basically be the star of the show for a good portion of it.

A large chunk of the fanbase seems to be remarkably thin-skinned and sees the goofy 80’s toy commercial as some holy text that cannot be altered in any way. It’s weird

Now granted, the latter show does have its share of legitimate problems (such as the story kind of falling apart during the final season and Catra’s somewhat rushed redemption arc that sort of brushes aside all the genuinely horrible things she did over the course of the series) but changing/updating a few designs/personalities and giving characters more agency and development ain’t one of them in my opinion.

Yes, but these are grown rear end adults upset that cartoon characters no longer give them boners.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JT Smiley posted:

Yes, but these are grown rear end adults upset that cartoon characters no longer give them boners.

Someone over in the She-Ra thread said it best in my opinion:

Mercury Hat posted:

They don't really care about the original cartoons, they're just mad at how society and the dialogue around race, gender, and sex is changing around them and the cartoons being redesigned from the originals is an easy candy-colored example to point to.

Like, correct me if I'm wrong, but there wasn't nearly so much vocal outrage over, say, the Ducktales reboot giving female characters expanded roles or making Fenton explicitly Latino because they weren't humans and you couldn't point to the differences as easily. And I'd say way more people were fans of the original Ducktales and genuinely like it as adults than ever cared about He-Man.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Imagine saying the original He-Man and She-Ra weren't gay.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Imagine saying the original He-Man and She-Ra weren't gay.

Even the daughter of the original producer of the latter (who also did a few voices for the series) said that if they were doing the show today they would have added a gay character:

https://www.pride.com/box-office/2011/10/21/erika-scheimer-and-queer-appeal-she-ra

The subtext was pretty much always there, it’s just that some incarnations were more overt about it than others.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone else think King's dad was the titan that died to make the burning isles?

Owl House Spoiler discussion.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Covok posted:

Anyone else think King's dad was the titan that died to make the burning isles?

Owl House Spoiler discussion.

Not really. That would imply that King was in his egg a really long time (like centuries) and coincidentally just happened to hatch a short time before Eda came around.
I mean, it's possible, but I doubt it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

He-Man will usher in the dawn of a new soy society. A soyciety if you will.

soy is a completely protein and low in fat, also its the US's Eternia's 2nd biggest crop so it supports domestic farmers.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

imo new she ra was real good, liked the final season + thought it wrapped up well, and catra learning to chill out and be nice after being a huge jerk with Issues for a big chunk of the show was very cool!

i will Never forget some goons in the thread getting extremely mad about catra and insisting that she actually should have died and been very sad about it in the last season, which i mostly remember because of people going "that would have blown"

new he man looks v stylish too!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I just think a lot of dudes got called gay for liking He Man, and then compensated by turning into grognards.

Booky posted:

imo new she ra was real good, liked the final season + thought it wrapped up well, and catra learning to chill out and be nice after being a huge jerk with Issues for a big chunk of the show was very cool!

Yeah, I'm rewatching it and I'm enjoying it a lot more. It's mostly pretty loving good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, has Dreamworks done anything significant since moving over to Hulu? Because I’d really like to see them take another crack at the franchise (be it a She-Ra sequel or maybe even something on the He-Man side of things)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With Owl House I'm liking that my prediction is being proven correct - The Clawthornes are an infinitely stronger family than the Blights because they genuinely care for each other, even if they were making some mistakes before. Their problems came from not from lack of love, but incomplete information/communication problems. I liked Eda and Lilith's mother's arc in the episode.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BioEnchanted posted:

With Owl House I'm liking that my prediction is being proven correct - The Clawthornes are an infinitely stronger family than the Blights because they genuinely care for each other, even if they were making some mistakes before. Their problems came from not from lack of love, but incomplete information/communication problems. I liked Eda and Lilith's mother's arc in the episode.

I don't think the Blights lack love, exactly. But they do have problems with communication along with empathy/understanding. Edric and Emira do care about Amity, but they're so caught up in prank and rebelling against their mother that they don't approach Amity in the best way. Alador seems to think that the best way for his family to be happy is to let everyone do what they want - especially Odalia. Meanwhile Odalia is obsessed with the family's success and seems to be putting most of those hopes on Amity and trying to keep Amity from being "distracted" from that by anything - including friends who can act as a vital support system to keep her from shattering under her mother's constant pressuring.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Someone a few pages back compared the Blights to the Malfoys, but funnily enough there's one big difference there: the Malfoys are old money, the Blights are strongly implied to be very specifically new money. They actually have to work for a living, and their kids are involved in the family business. The obsession with appearances and status is also very new money.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

owl house is like... they're stuffing so much into these eps but it works. kinda like ok ko s3. it feels like miniseries / smaller fixed orders are the future of cartoons unless they become tentpoles

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I like Owl House but from the jump it has always felt a bit unfocused, it feels like there's always been one element too many happening. Honestly it would probably be a lot tighter without the school stuff, you could still keep the important characters from that setting around without needing to spend so much time there.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
But then we'd miss out on Principal Bump, which isn't worth it imo.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

also dark academia vibes are mandatory for tween fantasy in a postpotter world... if there wasn't a school setting w idiosyncratic color coding how would the kids categorize their self insert OCs. cmon now

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

kidcoelacanth posted:

I like Owl House but from the jump it has always felt a bit unfocused, it feels like there's always been one element too many happening. Honestly it would probably be a lot tighter without the school stuff, you could still keep the important characters from that setting around without needing to spend so much time there.

Perhaps, but this show wasn't done with you in mind. This is a kids' show. Done with kids in mind (which makes the Queer stuff that much more remarkable and welcome). Kids relate to going to school, making friends (and enemies) at school. Luz coming to the Boiling Isles and going to school with the other kids there as the new kid makes her more relatable than if she was hanging out at Eda's all the time with maybe Gus, Willow and Amity sometimes visiting her.

BioEnchanted posted:

But then we'd miss out on Principal Bump, which isn't worth it imo.

Truer words have ne'er been spoke.

sliami posted:

also dark academia vibes are mandatory for tween fantasy in a postpotter world... if there wasn't a school setting w idiosyncratic color coding how would the kids categorize their self insert OCs. cmon now

How would the kids categorize their self insert OCs? Like you're not about to post the links to your Owl House fanfic...

Plus the school setting lets Owl House clown on Harry Potter in hilarious ways (the Choosy Hat).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like that the latest episode beings something into sharp focus - just how devastating the dog-eat-dog culture of the Boiling Isles can be. Up until now we've seen relatively benign scams that mainly wasted an afternoon at worst as the characters were able to fight their way out of the traps that the demons of the isles set for them (certainly the demons were intending on eating the main characters but they were easily defeated). However, this one is perhaps the most harmful. Eda and Lilith's mother has been wasting YEARS of her life and her entire fortune of these four goblins, expecting a way to save her daughter, and it's only been straining their relationship and her sanity further and further. The moment where she realises Luz was right and just unleashes hell on them was so satisfying.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And that one sports episode.

I feel there's been a few cases in this show where family dynamics feature in a 'Well, that explains a lot' way. Eda's basically the 'special' child who got extra attention she didn't necessarily need or want from an increasingly desperate mother falling for con artists and snake oil as she just wanted the problem to go away. While Lillith has always been desperate for attention as a result, and seeks validation from any source she can, especially authority figures- her teacher, Belos, even Luz.

Also, that's totally alcoholic ice cream that Lillith and King got all hosed up on.

BioEnchanted posted:

I like that the latest episode beings something into sharp focus - just how devastating the dog-eat-dog culture of the Boiling Isles can be. Up until now we've seen relatively benign scams that mainly wasted an afternoon at worst as the characters were able to fight their way out of the traps that the demons of the isles set for them (certainly the demons were intending on eating the main characters but they were easily defeated). However, this one is perhaps the most harmful. Eda and Lilith's mother has been wasting YEARS of her life and her entire fortune of these four goblins, expecting a way to save her daughter, and it's only been straining their relationship and her sanity further and further. The moment where she realises Luz was right and just unleashes hell on them was so satisfying.

Indeed, but the fun thing is that particular case is something very much common in the human world, as Luz is well aware and able to spot pretty quickly. Having fake success stories complete with props, and stringing her along to buy the next book? Straight out of cults, faith healers and 'alternative medicine' scams, preying on the suspicious and desperate who want a perfect fix rather than facing the realities of managing an ongoing condition.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 4, 2021

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

With King I like that he's coming to terms with the idea that He can't expect to have any expectations for his father at this point. He could be an abandoning dick, he could have had a good reason to leave him, he could have had no choice. He may even be dead. What King learned this episode though is that parents are just people. Just people, doing their best with what they have. Sometimes they may screw up, but idolising them is just going to lead you to disappointment and blaming them is shortsighted.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The "Child Friendly Substitute For Alcohol*" trope is probably one of my favorite cartoon tropes, especially when they get really obvious with it like in the first SpongeBob movie

*or Weed or Cocaine or whatever other drug would be funniest to use if they were allowed to use the real thing

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So like there's no way the other human isn't Belos, right?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

TwoPair posted:

That's the easy answer. It would provide us with a motive. We'll see if they go for it, or throw a wrench into it.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Clawthorne Mama threatening those gremlins was all kinds of awesome

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Madurai posted:

TwoPair posted:

That's the easy answer. It would provide us with a motive. We'll see if they go for it, or throw a wrench into it.

I think that might be part of it, but I don't think it's all of it. Remember that what's going on here is not limited to the Boiling Isles. Someone on Earth has gone to considerable trouble to maintain the fiction that Luz is still there. We also know that Boiling Isles magic will work on Earth, though Luz's runes will not (at least not yet).

It's also interesting that during their battle, Belos didn't really seem like he was trying to hurt Luz (though I may be comparing that fight to the one at the end of Amphibia Season Two where the bad guy was completely on board with the idea of murdering children).

Finally, Belos stated that invading Earth was not his plan and I think I believe him for now.

What was Eda's business model in Season One? Randomly grab human garbage and sell it to the curious and the credulous.

Do we think there would be a market on Earth for the actual magical stuff from the Boiling Isles? Sure.

Also, Belos did not want to Blights producing a "private army."

Maybe Belos's plan is not to invade the human realm but to bring in forces from Earth to invade and take over the Boiling Isles

a neat cape posted:

Clawthorne Mama was all kinds of awesome.

Shorter statement that is also correct.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 5, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Everyone posted:

I think that might be part of it, but I don't think it's all of it. Remember that what's going on here is not limited to the Boiling Isles. Someone on Earth has gone to considerable trouble to maintain the fiction that Luz is still there. We also know that Boiling Isles magic will work on Earth, though Luz's runes will not (at least not yet).

I think the easy answer to that is that Belos is responsible for the fake Luz, whether it's a shapeshifter or an abomination or whatever, and the only reason she's there is to stop any sort of search. Belos may not want to invade Earth but he clearly wants the control, and since doors can mysteriously just spawn, he might not want to risk anyone looking for Luz and accidentally finding one.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

the chuds losing their poo poo over she-ra not looking "feminine" enough is extra funny in retrospect. hell, from literally the first episode when adora transforms into she-ra, she's a 7 ft. amazon who is not lacking at all in terms of curves. she looks pretty much like your typical comic book superhero babe. i mean, if you REALLY need something to bitch about, maybe you could complain that she's wearing shorts underneath her skirt as opposed to panties.. i guess?

hell, even adora's body type isn't exactly "boyish" either.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 5, 2021

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Mr Interweb posted:

the chuds losing their poo poo over she-ra not looking "feminine" enough is extra funny in retrospect. hell, from literally the first episode when adora transforms in her, she's a 7 ft. amazon who is not lacking at all in terms of curves. she looks pretty much like your typical comic book superhero babe. i mean, if you REALLY need something to bitch about, maybe you could complain that she's wearing shorts underneath her skirt as opposed to panties.. i guess?

It Has Been Three Entire Years

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

sliami posted:

It Has Been Three Entire Years

And some of them are still bitching about it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

The "Child Friendly Substitute For Alcohol*" trope is probably one of my favorite cartoon tropes, especially when they get really obvious with it like in the first SpongeBob movie

*or Weed or Cocaine or whatever other drug would be funniest to use if they were allowed to use the real thing

Oh, absolutely, the more ridiculous the better. They even have Eda's mom comment that the curse may not be the only chronic problem Eda has.

Speaking of family dynamics before, I feel like with Eda's mom, you can see where a lot of her personality comes from, and a bit of Lillith. She's gregarious, morally ambiguous, and a little overbearing, and has a lot of similar mannerisms to Eda on top of the physical resemblance. (and it's clear that the big white hair she can use for storage isn't solely a result of the curse) And on the other hand, like Lillith she's also spent years basically trying to get Eda's curse cured through desperate and dubious means, that lead to both of them being taken advantage of. The Clawthorne ladies seem prone to tunnel vision when motivated.

Also, Luz being the one to see through the snake-oil scam might be helped by her mother iirc being a nurse/hospital worker; she knows a thing or two about real medicine, even second-hand. And while she's pretty open to Boiling Isles magic being able to do almost anything, her studying it from an outsider perspective probably means she has a decent grasp of the basics of how it works, where someone who grew up with it may take it for granted and have blind spots to the rather tenuous logic of the book of fake cures. (kinda like how, despite my earlier statement, nurses and doctors are apparently especially prone to getting into pseudoscience and 'alternative medicine' even while doing actual real medicine as their job)

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oh, absolutely, the more ridiculous the better. They even have Eda's mom comment that the curse may not be the only chronic problem Eda has.

Speaking of family dynamics before, I feel like with Eda's mom, you can see where a lot of her personality comes from, and a bit of Lillith. She's gregarious, morally ambiguous, and a little overbearing, and has a lot of similar mannerisms to Eda on top of the physical resemblance. (and it's clear that the big white hair she can use for storage isn't solely a result of the curse) And on the other hand, like Lillith she's also spent years basically trying to get Eda's curse cured through desperate and dubious means, that lead to both of them being taken advantage of. The Clawthorne ladies seem prone to tunnel vision when motivated.

Also, Luz being the one to see through the snake-oil scam might be helped by her mother iirc being a nurse/hospital worker; she knows a thing or two about real medicine, even second-hand. And while she's pretty open to Boiling Isles magic being able to do almost anything, her studying it from an outsider perspective probably means she has a decent grasp of the basics of how it works, where someone who grew up with it may take it for granted and have blind spots to the rather tenuous logic of the book of fake cures. (kinda like how, despite my earlier statement, nurses and doctors are apparently especially prone to getting into pseudoscience and 'alternative medicine' even while doing actual real medicine as their job)

And now that reminds me how one of my CNA sister's coworkers treated Covid as a hoax.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TwoPair posted:

I think the easy answer to that is that Belos is responsible for the fake Luz, whether it's a shapeshifter or an abomination or whatever, and the only reason she's there is to stop any sort of search. Belos may not want to invade Earth but he clearly wants the control, and since doors can mysteriously just spawn, he might not want to risk anyone looking for Luz and accidentally finding one.

That... seems like a stretch - though I agree with part of the idea.

You have a contradiction. You're saying that Belos and his people understand the human world well enough to send letters through the US mail to Luz's mother at her address and to create a copy of Luz that can function without attracting notice from those around her, especially her own mother. At the same time Belos et al fail to understand how people would search for Luz (fliers on telephone poles, a website, television appeals and other stuff utterly useless since Luz isn't on Earth any more) and how extremely unlikely it would be that they would somehow figure out where she'd gone and stumble onto how to get to her (unless this show takes place in the continuity of the X-Files and they bring in Fox Mulder to look for Luz...)

I think you have to take it further. Belos did this because he knows someone who has a connection to Luz and her family who would understand what happened and be able to come to the Boiling Isles to retrieve Luz and disrupt Belos's plans. He's creating the illusion that Luz is still on Earth to prevent that from happening.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

the chuds losing their poo poo over she-ra not looking "feminine" enough is extra funny in retrospect. hell, from literally the first episode when adora transforms into she-ra, she's a 7 ft. amazon who is not lacking at all in terms of curves. she looks pretty much like your typical comic book superhero babe. i mean, if you REALLY need something to bitch about, maybe you could complain that she's wearing shorts underneath her skirt as opposed to panties.. i guess?

I guess to be fair, the He-Man franchise was founded upon unrealistic impossible body images, so fans of the old series would have extremely unrealistic expectations.