Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

yoohoo posted:

I did not but that's good to know. Is there anything I should look for/avoid? Or can I assume all glass repair folks will be about the same?

I tend to want OEM glass if I can get it and it's not super expensive. There are a LOT of cheaply made aftermarket windshields for common cars that are really quite poo poo. You've got a bunch of tech on your Suby windshield so I'd want to make sure everything works as it's supposed to.

I had the windshield replaced in my Cayenne and I absolutely positively wanted OEM glass not only because of the rain sensor but the fact that it's a multilayer insulated glass. Nobody but the OEM makes this so I would have been installing an inferior product to save a couple hundred bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Krakkles posted:

There's an updated version of the Veepeak dongle which uses BT instead of Wifi on iOS, but I haven't seen the need to upgrade.

Thanks! I bought this one.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

unless you are super super price sensitive I'd probably buy them as a way to give myself peace of mind that i wouldn't have to open it up again

tater_salad posted:

^^ this. You have it open why not get new valves at a decent price. Save the headache of having to do it if it's an issue.

Have to check what the total would be. Stupid thing is stealing all my money. Thanks.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

ryanrs posted:

Can you nip the spring clamp with cutters? I know my knipex cobolt would do it, but normal cutters might not like the spring steel.

I only have cheap cutters around, I'm gonna try and wiggle it free first, but if that fails I'm currently leaning towards taking a hacksaw to the pin/stud/sticky out bit, the metal on the pipe is probably going to be a lot less work than going through the spring steel

Least it's nice and sunny for it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

net work error posted:

Fuel pump fuse looked good.

Did you actually check the fuse or just looked at it?

Get a test light first and see if the pump is getting power or not. Don't skip steps in diagnosing. You might just have a broken wire.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Yeah I have had a fuse look absolutely fine and test fine on the little test bits on top but still not function, you need to take it out and make sure electrical current is flowing by testing the sides the car uses

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'm helping to fix my sister's 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. It developed a misfire when at idle on hot days, so we (me and my dad) decided to change the spark plugs. This was something of a challenge, as the 3.3L V6 requires you to remove the engine intake plenum, but I got it off. Changing the plugs by itself was easy (I'd done it before) but I noticed the ignition coils had some oil on them, and most of the plugs I removed had oil on them. One spark plug was loose in its socket, too - I'm guessing that was the cause of the misfire.

Right now, everything is still apart, so I thought I'd ask about the oil. Googling has several basic causes listed, and youtube has several how-tos. I'm pretty confidant I can get the valve cover off to replace the gaskets, (conveniently, I got those gaskets with the plenum/valve cover gasket) and I am going to check the ignition coils with a multi-meter to make sure they are OK.

Two questions:

1. Does what I found above suggest a specific problem with a specific solution? Looking at the DIY stuff online, I see that anything up to puddles of oil in the spark plug well can happen, and this isn't that - it seems like light leakage.

2. Now that the engine is apart, is there anything else I should look into doing?

3. I'm pretty sure the worst scenario here is head gasket failure. Does anything suggest that?

PS> This man has a strong, authoritative background game

e: oh the front valve cover gasket is leaking and apparently this is a flaw in these engines

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 2, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Captain Kosmos posted:

Have to check what the total would be. Stupid thing is stealing all my money. Thanks.

Looks like 8 valves at ~23 a pop, plus shipping - so you're probably a bit over 200 bucks. If that's gonna be a problem, I think you can send em, it looks like sufficient material. but you may have to go back in at some point. if you find that part of the project car experience fun, maybe it's not a big deal.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm helping to fix my sister's 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. It developed a misfire when at idle on hot days, so we (me and my dad) decided to change the spark plugs. This was something of a challenge, as the 3.3L V6 requires you to remove the engine intake plenum, but I got it off. Changing the plugs by itself was easy (I'd done it before) but I noticed the ignition coils had some oil on them, and most of the plugs I removed had oil on them. One spark plug was loose in its socket, too - I'm guessing that was the cause of the misfire.

Right now, everything is still apart, so I thought I'd ask about the oil. Googling has several basic causes listed, and youtube has several how-tos. I'm pretty confidant I can get the valve cover off to replace the gaskets, (conveniently, I got those gaskets with the plenum/valve cover gasket) and I am going to check the ignition coils with a multi-meter to make sure they are OK.

Two questions:

1. Does what I found above suggest a specific problem with a specific solution? Looking at the DIY stuff online, I see that anything up to puddles of oil in the spark plug well can happen, and this isn't that - it seems like light leakage.

2. Now that the engine is apart, is there anything else I should look into doing?

3. I'm pretty sure the worst scenario here is head gasket failure. Does anything suggest that?

PS> This man has a strong, authoritative background game

e: oh the front valve cover gasket is leaking and apparently this is a flaw in these engines

Oil leaking into spark plug holes plagues many many many OHC engines across the board.

Sounds like you didn't get a chance to grab from the computer what cylinder was misfiring? Coil packs can test great on the bench. It's when under stress with heat, moisture, etc. they can become unhappy.

You are definitely on the right track. I wouldn't even contemplate a head gasket scenario unless it is billowing white smoke everywhere.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm helping to fix my sister's 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. It developed a misfire when at idle on hot days...

Two questions:

1. Does what I found above suggest a specific problem with a specific solution? ...

Yes; oil in the plug galleys causes resistance issues that will result in misfires that will throw codes for the specific bank that's misfiring.

If you're finding any oil in any of those galleys, clean it/them out and replace the valve-cover gaskets, especially the seals at the plug galleys. This does not sound like a head-gasket failure. A leak-down test would rule that in or out, if you're really concerned about it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cool, thanks. I'm very sure now it is a valve cover leak, as 1) it's a trouble spot in this motor, and 2) I can see it leaking onto the alternator. My dad is making plans to redo the gaskets on the valve covers.

Meanwhile, I'm now a lv 2 amateur mechanic, as I reassembled everything and it started properly on the first try.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

2017 Lexus gs350.

Per the manual, it requires 91 octane gas.

Like a dumbass who has only driven normal cars requiring 87 octane, I always just assumed the middle selection at gas stations would be premium.

However Ive noticed some stations have 87, 89, and 93. Whole others have 87, 91, and 93.

Ive filled it up with 89 the last two fills.

Next time Ill put 93 in it once I get it down to 3/4 tank but how hosed is this?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

nwin posted:

2017 Lexus gs350.

Per the manual, it requires 91 octane gas.

Like a dumbass who has only driven normal cars requiring 87 octane, I always just assumed the middle selection at gas stations would be premium.

However Ive noticed some stations have 87, 89, and 93. Whole others have 87, 91, and 93.

Ive filled it up with 89 the last two fills.

Next time Ill put 93 in it once I get it down to 3/4 tank but how hosed is this?

Not hosed, you just might get some engine knock and be down on power. I dunno if I'd bother with adding 93 and just transition to 91 instead.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yeah not hosed at all. Im not familiar with Lexus but I cant imagine it doesnt have knock sensors and the ability to retard timing to prevent damage.

You may notice a little less power, but youre not going to cause any damage or anything.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

2017 Prius

Is it a bad sign if I find a ZipCar manual mixed in with the owners manuals under the spare tire in the spare tire well?
There was no sign of a rental anywhere in the carfax - and it's long after I paid for the car in full.

Baby Proof fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 3, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nebakenezzer posted:

Meanwhile, I'm now a lv 2 amateur mechanic, as I reassembled everything and it started properly on the first try.

That is always a great feeling :)

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Which paper repair manual should I buy for my 2000 Toyota Sienna minivan? I want a hardcopy reference to have while offroading in the wilderness.

When I'm at home, I used pirated PDFs of the official Toyota repair manual. And it's fine, I guess. But PDFs don't work great on the Kindle, and used copies on ebay are like $150. Are any of the 3rd party paper manuals good, or perhaps better than Toyota's?

Or maybe I should stick with the official manual because I've learned how it's organized. Still, $150 wtf.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Factory service manual or you can suck a male camel's dick.

It's worth the money.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

ryanrs posted:

Which paper repair manual should I buy for my 2000 Toyota Sienna minivan? I want a hardcopy reference to have while offroading in the wilderness.

When I'm at home, I used pirated PDFs of the official Toyota repair manual. And it's fine, I guess. But PDFs don't work great on the Kindle, and used copies on ebay are like $150. Are any of the 3rd party paper manuals good, or perhaps better than Toyota's?

Or maybe I should stick with the official manual because I've learned how it's organized. Still, $150 wtf.

Got access to a laser printer? Print that poo poo out from your .pdf and stick it into a binder with those plastic sheets. Bonus is it is way better than naked paper books.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey thread.

The wife's got a 2009 Toyota Carola that sprang a crack in the windshield a couple days ago. We have an appointment to get it replaced via Safelite for free through the insurance, but I've got a question that I'd like to get sorted before they arrive in a couple days. This is the 2nd crack in the windshield in as many years. Both cracks were on the driver's side, the first one about mid-way up and the current one nearer to the bottom. The wife noticed that the weather stripping/sealant/gasket/whatever that goes around the windshield is missing on that side. She doesn't know how long it's been like that, but she's pretty sure it's been like that for literal years. It doesn't, say, leak when it rains, so I'm not sure if it's an important thing to have, or if it may be related to the cracking, or what. From what the wife googled, It looks like new kits for the thing can be had for ~$20, and you need to take the windshield off to properly install them. Is it worth it to do so when Safelite gets here, or do they do that as part of their services, or what should I do here?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
yo gang.

So I have a old 1992 toyota pick up that I used for work. It a handy little pick up truck.

But its a base model no power steering not power nothing.

No A/C

Which when we lived near the ocean wasnt really a problem but after having relocated 200 miles inland to a literal hellscape of 100+ weather I d like to add AC

But most of what I find for both toyota forum post or web searchers are basically replacement part/retro fit kits.

Anyone got a lead to where I can find like the whole AC kit. (not r 12 of course)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ups_rail posted:

yo gang.

So I have a old 1992 toyota pick up that I used for work. It a handy little pick up truck.

But its a base model no power steering not power nothing.

No A/C

Which when we lived near the ocean wasnt really a problem but after having relocated 200 miles inland to a literal hellscape of 100+ weather I d like to add AC

But most of what I find for both toyota forum post or web searchers are basically replacement part/retro fit kits.

Anyone got a lead to where I can find like the whole AC kit. (not r 12 of course)

Did it come with AC on any model of the same pickup? Getting a kit that fits would be new-old stock from Toyota or one of the retro kits you've seen. Some dealerships would fit AC to cars around that time when they didn't get it from the factory, but finding a kit like that would be incredibly difficult and expensive.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Its my understanding that options like power steering and AC were installed at the dealship and that the trucks left the factory in bone stock condition.

So thats kinda the issue While I can get a compressor or evap coil all day lone its all the little fiddly bits like the evap case and idle up valve that I d have to source.

I am looking at just bitting the built and going to the junk yard.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey thread.

The wife's got a 2009 Toyota Carola that sprang a crack in the windshield a couple days ago. We have an appointment to get it replaced via Safelite for free through the insurance, but I've got a question that I'd like to get sorted before they arrive in a couple days. This is the 2nd crack in the windshield in as many years. Both cracks were on the driver's side, the first one about mid-way up and the current one nearer to the bottom. The wife noticed that the weather stripping/sealant/gasket/whatever that goes around the windshield is missing on that side. She doesn't know how long it's been like that, but she's pretty sure it's been like that for literal years. It doesn't, say, leak when it rains, so I'm not sure if it's an important thing to have, or if it may be related to the cracking, or what. From what the wife googled, It looks like new kits for the thing can be had for ~$20, and you need to take the windshield off to properly install them. Is it worth it to do so when Safelite gets here, or do they do that as part of their services, or what should I do here?

When Safelite replaces the windshield, they replace the material that the windshield is bedded in - a type of butyl-based caulk.

I assume that the windshield has two cracks in it now, and has never been replaced.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

PainterofCrap posted:

When Safelite replaces the windshield, they replace the material that the windshield is bedded in - a type of butyl-based caulk.

I assume that the windshield has two cracks in it now, and has never been replaced.

Weird assumption, but I guess you could read it that way. You have no idea how many times she'd get pulled over for having a cracked windshield. Not to mention how dangerous is it, what with the risk of it spider-webbing or outright shattering. The windshield was replaced after the first crack. This will be the second replacement done in as many years. I looked at the sides of her windshield more closely, and honestly, I'm not sure it's even supposed to have any kind of extra seal or weather stripping or whatever around it aside from the caulk you mentioned.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Just bought a used car for my brother, and the shift bushings feel very old, mushy and vague. Can bad shift bushings lead to damage? They seem like an absolute pain in the dickhole to change out.

DildenAnders fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 5, 2021

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I took some pictures for reference.

here's my car, a 2010 Honda Civic. You can see the trim goes all the way down the side of the windshield and protects the edges a bit.

And here's hers. Note you can see the crack in the 2nd pic. You can see it in the edge of the glass and it goes on, past the inspection sticker, past the registration sticker, and upwards toward the top edge of the glass. Also note that the trim stops at the windshield and just, isn't there.

Is there not supposed to be trim there? Or is she missing something that should be on there?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Anyone have experience with used Volvo XC70s? Are they huge pieces of crap? It ticks a lot of boxes for me right now, and I found a 2005 with 90k online nearbye, at what appears to be a non-2021 price.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

Is there not supposed to be trim there? Or is she missing something that should be on there?

None of that plastic trim stuff has anything to do with the windshield. The windshield is glued on with industrial caulking under the glass.

You see the fat black margin painted on the inside of the windshield, along the perimeter? The caulking lives under there. I think the majority of skill/difficulty in windshield replacement is laying down a smooth bead of that caulking.

e: To answer your question, the trim does nothing. The caulking is actually pretty thick, so it will fill in gaps and imperfections in the frame. I don't think any of this is why your window cracked.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

ryanrs posted:

None of that plastic trim stuff has anything to do with the windshield. The windshield is glued on with industrial caulking under the glass.

You see the fat black margin painted on the inside of the windshield, along the perimeter? The caulking lives under there. I think the majority of skill/difficulty in windshield replacement is laying down a smooth bead of that caulking.

e: To answer your question, the trim does nothing. The caulking is actually pretty thick, so it will fill in gaps and imperfections in the frame. I don't think any of this is why your window cracked.

Ok, that will at least answer the wife's question then. She was under the impression that, had she had some sort of guard or trim or something, the rock that hit right near the edge of the glass wouldn't have caused the crack. She thought that because my car has a plastic guard, hers should as well, and that it must be missing, or something.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Having owned a 2009 Corolla for not quite 13 years, I can say that there is no missing trim in those photos.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Make sure youre getting OEM replacement glass. Ive had terrible luck with the 3rd party stuff. Its thinner and tends to crack a lot easier in my experience.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
EDIT: So originally I had a question here about re-assembly on a Mirror Assembly that had parts popped off of them from a minor scrape against a wall on my 2021 Hyundai Venue but after some googling on a parts website to see what looks broken or not I managed to pop everything back together.

Since I already have this post here I thought I would use it to ask, what's a good resource for finding self-repair guides or manuals in general? Haynes doesn';t appear to have a repair manual for my car, are there other repair manuals for cars I could check out so in the future I have a resource to use?

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 5, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Honestly, for most things I find typing in my car, the repair, and diy into a search bar gives me what I'm looking for, usually with several YouTube tutorials. Though I only use this for basic things.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Oysters Autobio posted:

Since I already have this post here I thought I would use it to ask, what's a good resource for finding self-repair guides or manuals in general? Haynes doesn';t appear to have a repair manual for my car, are there other repair manuals for cars I could check out so in the future I have a resource to use?

The best thing you can use is the Factory Service Manual (FSM) for your car. It's straight from the manufacturer. Now finding a copy of this can be tough, and usually is :filez: territory.

Your public library (mine does) may subscribe to something like Chilton's Auto Repair Online, I'm able to access that with my library card information for free. For my car it's the exact same information as the Factory Service Manual.

Online forums often have folks with access to FSM information willing to share, results may vary depending on how popular the car is.

The last ditch, I'm just going to have to pay for the information route is to subscribe to something like alldata diy for a month to get the info you need, or to pay someone on ebay for a bootleg copy of the FSM.

The document might not exist yet for your 2021 though, that's something to consider. Also modern cars are pretty much modular. There's probably not going to be information on how to fix the mirror assembly in the FSM. It'll have instructions to replace the entire mirror assembly, but not fixing something broken inside of it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I got new tires, they drive fine. Do I need to get them aligned? It's been at least a year since I got an alignment, probably more. How important are alignments?

I was going to get them aligned when/where I got the new tires, but they said my inner tie rod was messed up and needed to be replaced before they could do the alignment. I was going to my regular mechanic (who I trust) the next day anyway and got him to look at it, he said everything's fine, they're either idiots or just trying to take your money, so not going back there. How big of a deal is the 'go back and get the lug nuts re-torqued after 25 miles' thing? Can I just stick my 20v dewalt impact wrench on there and go brrrrrr for a while? I'm starting a 2k mile road trip soon and trying to get everything squared away.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

An alignment isn't a terrible idea but if the old tires didn't have any odd wear patterns and the steering is straight, there's probably not enough to worry about.

"We can't possibly do the alignment without selling you more suspension parts" is classic alignment shop horeshit. I've had a shop pull that on me with brand new parts and walked right out.

Which 20V Dewalt rattlegun? Some of those can put out way more torque than you'd want to put on a lug nut. You absolutely should re-torque the lug nuts but I would either take it to your trusted mechanic to have it done, or just buy the $20 Harbor Freight torque wrench and use it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Oysters Autobio posted:

EDIT: So originally I had a question here about re-assembly on a Mirror Assembly that had parts popped off of them from a minor scrape against a wall on my 2021 Hyundai Venue but after some googling on a parts website to see what looks broken or not I managed to pop everything back together.

I checked...nothing on Chilton for this car.

The mirror motor is used on a lot of different models which might expand your search. The trick is figuring out how the glass is attached for removal to get inside the mirror.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 6, 2021

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Safety Dance posted:

Unless you're Ken and are willing to weld one together from a pile of scrap parts that just happen to be exactly the right shape and size.

Nope, grand Cherokees of that generation are a dime a dozen, I wouldn't touch that crusty thing with a ten foot pole. There's no reason to perform any kind of heroics putting that thing back together if it's rust perforated in more places than what's shown, it's a parts car for a less rusty one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Hey Americans, how do y'all pronounce "kludge"? Rhymes with sludge, right?

I just heard a dude from Utah pronounce it "klooj" and that didn't sit right with me.