Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Guest2553 posted:

Wait as in, you no longer need to figured out angles and supports? Can you explain this one more?

No, you still need to support. But the model just pops off when you are done. You can print something flat on the plate and just pop it off rather than scrape/pry it off and risk warping the still flexible model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

nostrata posted:

No, you still need to support. But the model just pops off when you are done. You can print something flat on the plate and just pop it off rather than scrape/pry it off and risk warping the still flexible model.

Just to piggyback onto this, it's a godsend for printing things like bases or base toppers that you'd glue onto a base, because you can just print it flat on the flex plate with no need to angle it (which can lead to the base actually getting warped sometimes) and having to add supports (which are a waste of resin for a basic flat base). And since the base isn't being made taller by angling it, the print time goes down pretty drastically too (I can usually get some 25mm bases and toppers printed in like 10 minutes).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Just out of curiosity, but about how many 32mm minis does a liter of resin make, assuming space marine/sisters of Battle proportions? I have a PLA printer, but am debating getting a resin printer.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Randalor posted:

Just out of curiosity, but about how many 32mm minis does a liter of resin make, assuming space marine/sisters of Battle proportions? I have a PLA printer, but am debating getting a resin printer.

A fuckin ton but I don't have an exact number. Around 120-140

It'll throw out how much you feel like spending $10 a mini when you can make one for 20¢. Easily my biggest deterant for some game systems at the moment

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I don't have pics but I have two (smallish) shelves on my painting desk's hutch, that are practically filled front to back with ratmen, not-Empire/Mordheim dudes, not-Khorne Daemons, etc., mostly resin but mixed in with traditional metal and plastic minis.

The bigger shelf just above those two is chock full of WW2 stuff, both resin and regular plastic, of various scales. Shermans, various Russian tanks, Brits and Germans for North Africa, etc.

On my desk are various figures for Stargrave (mostly resin but some made out of the plastic SG kits I got from the Nickstarter), along with some more WW2 stuff (mostly Pacific Theater here), some more not-Khorne Daemons, and some stuff I just felt like working on for the heck of it.

In a dresser drawer I have various figures and parts printed up for Zona Alfa and a cyberpunk skirmish game (used to be called Hardwired, but the author had to change the name due to legal issues, I forget what it's called now), and various other bits and pieces.

The bulk of it was 3D printed, for way cheaper than comparable figures might have cost. :c00l:

The bulk of it's also unpainted. :smith:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I go to print something yesterday and when it's done I just have... a blobby brick on my plate. Okay weird, maybe the file was corrupted or something. Try again with a known good file that's small. Blobby brick.

Okay weird, let's do an exposure test, where it lights up the LCD with just a rectangle border and black in the middle so I can make sure the LCD is go-

(the middle bits were flickering and flashing)

Yeah huh okay... gonna assume this is a bad LCD? I took it off and did another exposure test and the light array all looks good and solid and bright, so... I'm assuming a new LCD will fix this.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Yeah huh okay... gonna assume this is a bad LCD? I took it off and did another exposure test and the light array all looks good and solid and bright, so... I'm assuming a new LCD will fix this.
Yes, bad LCD.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

w00tmonger posted:

It happe a but there are things you can do to minimize it for sure.

Getting a flex plate helps a ton and lets you print flat (do this, they're amazing). Otherwise, reducing burn in layer time can make removal easier as well as long as you don't lower it so much it doesn't stick

Thanks. I actually have a flex plate kit I just wanted to do the initial test prints with as few variables as possible. After watching the flex install again where they sand the poo poo out of the build plate so it's not a worry any more. I ended up cancelling the test prints half way as yeah the fumes were real bad and the "ventilation" set up was doing jack.

Randalor posted:

The chitubox slicer has a bit where you can enter your resin cost/L and it'll give an estimate of how much resin is used. I'm Australian but I was still surprised when it reckoned ~40c aud for a guardsmen sized figure. Of course that doesn't count money spent on alcohol/tools/cleaning alcohol etc but you can reuse and recycle IPA a few times. Download a slicer and a few free models and try it out.

Speaking of cleaning, for paper towels with resin on them, good ways to cure a bunch before disposal? Just chucking a bunch in a plastic tub and leaving it in the sun, shake occasionally?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Good god, the amount of models you get from One Page Rules every month for $10 is absurd.

Look at this poo poo:

One Page Rules posted:

HERE'S A FULL LIST OF EVERYTHING YOU GET THIS MONTH!

3D Print Rewards (63 models + 132 bases + 27 game aids):

Duchies of Vinci - Militia x13
Duchies of Vinci - Drones x10
Duchies of Vinci - Support Chariot x3
Duchies of Vinci - Themed Bases x44
Duchies of Vinci - Game Aids x9
Alien Hives - Tyrant Beast x2
Alien Hives - Spawning Beast x3
Alien Hives - Artillery Beast x3
Alien Hives - Devourer Beast x2
Alien Hives - Themed Bases x44
Alien Hives - Game Aids x9
Mummified Undead - Skeleton Guard x13
Mummified Undead - Guardian Statues x9
Mummified Undead - Skeleton Chariots x2
Mummified Undead - King on Royal Chariots x1
Mummified Undead - Themed Bases x44
Mummified Undead - Game Aids x9
Dwarves - Rune Master x1
Battle Sisters - Psychic x1
3D Print Welcome Pack (28 models + 18 bases + 16 game aids):

Dwarf Lords x2
Dwarf Warriors x17
Battle Sisters Champion x1
Battle Sisters Troops x8
Play Tokens & Ruler x16
Simple Bases (Round & Square) x18
50% Discount Code for MyMiniFactory

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah OPR is consistently my favorite 3d printing Patreon. Their game rules are a pretty solid way to introduce someone to tabletop gaming too

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Thirding the love for OPR, I have a bunch of their stuff (not-Tomb Kings, not-Necrons, not-Tyranids, etc), and their not-Kill Team rules are actually pretty fast and fun to play. I used some of the 40k models I already had (mostly Space Marines vs CSM) and was able to get a couple of quick games in with my brother. We even won one game apiece with our different Chaos armies vs. SM (his Plague Marines beat my Grey Knights, my Word Bearers beat his Ultramarines), so now we just need to do a tiebreaker Chaos vs. Chaos game here sometime. :black101:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Those are really nice models, I'm painting some up right now ! They should be a good match for anyone's take on a Guard army: plasma gun, grenade launcher and flamers for heavy weapons, plus mortar and lascannon support, and 2 vehicles. These prints were my very first batch on my very first printer, a Phrozen Sonic Mini 4K (excellent printer, wish I'd bought the bigger one). This is water washable resin printed with a layer height of 0.05mm.

I'll also second fourth the love for the OPR Patreon, that's a great value. Right now they're doing a fantasy version of a Tau army, Tyranid expys, and Tomb King stand-ins, plus dwarves. The OPR Battlesisters I printed look great (they're at 0.035mm).

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Makers Cult this month has some not-guardsman with male and female versions.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Does anyone know where I can get .stls for wrestler minis? My buddy is a huge wrestling fan and just started getting into mini painting so I wanted to hook him up with some wrestlers but I can't seem to find any.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bucnasti posted:

Does anyone know where I can get .stls for wrestler minis? My buddy is a huge wrestling fan and just started getting into mini painting so I wanted to hook him up with some wrestlers but I can't seem to find any.
there’s a wrestling tabletop game called rumbleslam and you can buy individual packs of minis for it

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

A wrestling minis Patreon with a long term story arc and new sculpts every month to reflect it would be amazing.

Bring in all the relationship plotlines and betrayls/team ups

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

w00tmonger posted:

A wrestling minis Patreon with a long term story arc and new sculpts every month to reflect it would be amazing.

Bring in all the relationship plotlines and betrayls/team ups

drat that would be sweet. Are there any 3d printing patreons that have an ongoing storyline?

Also today I discovered that printing bases is like cheating, I want to throw out all the piles of basing materials I've accumulated over the years.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

drat that would be sweet. Are there any 3d printing patreons that have an ongoing storyline?

Also today I discovered that printing bases is like cheating, I want to throw out all the piles of basing materials I've accumulated over the years.

The closest I've seen are places like archevillain/cobraMode that release dnd modules for their stuff.

Would be a great opportunity to have ongoing community involvement where some big character loses an arm or switches factions and they crank out a new version

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Yeah seems like a cool opportunity for a Game Designer and a Sculptor to team up and deliver an ongoing campaign. Combined with good community management for feedback and course correction it could turn out really cool.

The 3dprinting tabletop space is really wide open right now for people to try things like this.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I did my first actual prints last night and I'm absolutely blown away by the detail of forest dragons baby elves. That said, I dropped the spearmen a few times to test them out and it was super easy to break their spear heads off even from a small drop.

I'm a bit lost between the different kinds of resins. Would mixing a more flexible resin help tiny models more than mixing a stronger one in?

Any recommendations for an off the shelf resin for this kind of thing?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Eediot Jedi posted:

I did my first actual prints last night and I'm absolutely blown away by the detail of forest dragons baby elves. That said, I dropped the spearmen a few times to test them out and it was super easy to break their spear heads off even from a small drop.

I'm a bit lost between the different kinds of resins. Would mixing a more flexible resin help tiny models more than mixing a stronger one in?

Any recommendations for an off the shelf resin for this kind of thing?

What's your mix. Iv been using sirayatech fast with 10% tenacious and it's been great. Could go up to20% from what I've heard.

Also could be over curing. Do an amerilabs exposure test to dial in if you haven't already, and 1.5min tops In a uv light

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Too much uv is a good point. I have no idea what I'm doing so I cooked them 2min face up, then flipped and did another 2 face down. Thanks for the test print too.

Using this straight from the bottle. Just grabbed something cheap to do initial experiments.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Eediot Jedi posted:

Too much uv is a good point. I have no idea what I'm doing so I cooked them 2min face up, then flipped and did another 2 face down. Thanks for the test print too.

Using this straight from the bottle. Just grabbed something cheap to do initial experiments.

Definitely both of those. Like a minute and a half total should be plenty.

That looks like a regular grey resin. You'll get more out of going with abs like, much more of you mix in a flexible resin (sirayatech tenacious, or maybe monocure flex but I haven't used it yet)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bucnasti posted:

And on a resin printer, bases print relatively instantaneously. Although you WILL want a flex plate.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

mllaneza posted:

And on a resin printer, bases print relatively instantaneously. Although you WILL want a flex plate.

I've been printing them forever without one. I'm sure it's handy but I don't think it's required.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Does anyone know where to get Tenacious for a reasonable price in Canada? Siraya doesn't seem to ship here, and google is not being very helpful.

I've seen solid reviews for Elegoo ABS-like so I'll probably get some of that in the meantime, but I have a litre of old Peopoly grey from work that I want to use with the Tenacious.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

MCPeePants posted:

Does anyone know where to get Tenacious for a reasonable price in Canada? Siraya doesn't seem to ship here, and google is not being very helpful.
Siraya has a Canadian warehouse. They're out of stock right now but I order from them all the time.

https://siraya.tech/collections/canada

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

MCPeePants posted:

I've seen solid reviews for Elegoo ABS-like so I'll probably get some of that in the meantime, but I have a litre of old Peopoly grey from work that I want to use with the Tenacious.

I'm running tests. But considering monocure flex as an add in alternative

Sirayatechs been my go to. But I get the impression more and more lately that Canada, UK, Australia etc aren't their priority over US customers

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Are there any good deals going on right now for quality 3d printers? I'm looking for one for miniatures and another to print terrain.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

The Demilich posted:

Are there any good deals going on right now for quality 3d printers? I'm looking for one for miniatures and another to print terrain.

Anycubic has a sale on right now, though they frequently do and I've heard some horror stories about their customer service (I've ordered twice direct from them and had no issues). $200 is the cheapest I've seen the Mono (I paid $215 in April or so) and it will give you Very Good prints. If you need even crisper detail then you'll have to go up to a 4K screen like the phrozen sonic mini, but any of the printers with 2K mono screens will give extremely good results for tabletop. Youtube is lousy with reviews, so take a look at the crispness you can expect, and keep in mind that the resin is also a factor.

I'm way out of date on FDM printing. Several years ago when I was shopping the Ender 3 was the go-to machine, with the CR-10 good for larger stuff, but I don't know what the standard is now.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

MCPeePants posted:

but any of the printers with 2K mono screens will give extremely good results for tabletop.
I don't know if you're using "tabletop" as a quality description, but if you are this is kind of misleading. A 2k screen is going to do a lot better than tabletop quality. It will produce miniatures for you on par with any store-bought miniatures (even top quality resin casts). In fact, I really have yet to see a scientific review of the sonic mini 4K that shows it can print in better detail than a 2k (but I'd be interested to see such a review if there is one).

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I just got a mars 2 which has an xy resolution of 0.05 mm. I planned on printing tiny 6-10 mm (epic, warmaster scale) figures it so I was worried might have been better to get the phrozen mini 4k which has a better xy resolution.

I'm not worried anymore. I think I'd need to upgrade my eyeballs significantly to be able to spot any difference, I'm absolutely floored at how crisp the details are.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 16, 2021

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Just a post to say that it blows my mind that years ago, I'd fret over not being able to get whatever minis because of either financial concerns, or artificial scarcity (such as the Space Hulk set from the late 2000s), or the company going out of business and the models going out of print, etc.

Now I have several 3d printers and I've got enough miniatures and terrain (both ones that were paid for, and ones that were offered for free via Thingiverse, etc.) to be at a point where I literally have more things to print out and paint that it would take me to at least the end of the year (if not longer) to get at least half of 'em done.

Tabletop gaming life is good, my friends :)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Just a quick idiot question, but if I have a resin and a PLA printer and wanted to make custom parts for minis, I can use the same 3d model file in the slicer programs for both printers, right? So I can use the PLA printer for prototyping, then when the model is "done", just drop it into the resin slicer program to make the final product, right?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Randalor posted:

Just a quick idiot question, but if I have a resin and a PLA printer and wanted to make custom parts for minis, I can use the same 3d model file in the slicer programs for both printers, right? So I can use the PLA printer for prototyping, then when the model is "done", just drop it into the resin slicer program to make the final product, right?

The supports are completely different for resin and PLA printers. The file itself is fine to use between slicers, but you'll have to redo supports.

Is your budget so narrow that you can't just use resin for everything? Resin is pretty cheap now, and miniatures hardly use any. Plus the speed of resin printing is going to be a blessing for you as you iterate through designs.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Randalor posted:

I'd just prototype in resin honestly. A big FDM printer is really useful for big terrain pieces etc, but for minis and anything small it's not going to handle overhangs etc the same way and not really behave how you want.

They can use the same stls etc though so if your designing poo poo go nuts.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

InternetJunky posted:

The supports are completely different for resin and PLA printers. The file itself is fine to use between slicers, but you'll have to redo supports.

Is your budget so narrow that you can't just use resin for everything? Resin is pretty cheap now, and miniatures hardly use any. Plus the speed of resin printing is going to be a blessing for you as you iterate through designs.

w00tmonger posted:

I'd just prototype in resin honestly. A big FDM printer is really useful for big terrain pieces etc, but for minis and anything small it's not going to handle overhangs etc the same way and not really behave how you want.

They can use the same stls etc though so if your designing poo poo go nuts.

I was planning on using PLA while getting the general proportions and fittings right, then switching to resin when I made the "proper" mini. Mostly as I just got a resin printer that's waiting for me to tidy up the work area, and I have a ton of filament for my Ender 3 on-hand. Also, I'm in Canada, so I'm still tracking down a good resin supplier that isn't Amazon.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Randalor posted:

I was planning on using PLA while getting the general proportions and fittings right, then switching to resin when I made the "proper" mini. Mostly as I just got a resin printer that's waiting for me to tidy up the work area, and I have a ton of filament for my Ender 3 on-hand. Also, I'm in Canada, so I'm still tracking down a good resin supplier that isn't Amazon.

I guess I'd need to know more details about what exactly your project is, but if you're designing parts that are meant to fit together (either with other pieces you print or something like shoulder pads that are meant to go onto a 3rd party figure) you really should do everything in resin. Each brand and type of resin behaves differently, but there are definitely issues like shrinkage that you are going to run into. You might spend a lot of time making something work for PLA only to discover your pieces don't fit anymore once you print in resin.

For resins in Canada I posted a link to the Siraya site earlier for you, but you should also check out aliexpress as well as the recent VULKAN kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atlas3dss/vulcan-1.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

InternetJunky posted:

For resins in Canada I posted a link to the Siraya site earlier for you, but you should also check out aliexpress as well as the recent VULKAN kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atlas3dss/vulcan-1.

I saw the link to Siraya, but everything was sold out when I checked. I'll look into the others. I'm honestly surprised places like Michael's doesn't seem to carry resin, considering their entire shtick is crafting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

You can also ask if anyone is willing to do some test prints for you. I’ve seen several creators do this and there were plenty of folks willing to do a beta print and give feedback.