Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Land Raiders being named after Arkham Land is dumb, but I've gotten used to it. But now I've learned about Amar Astarte. gently caress that.

The Land Speeder is too. Because NOT a Star Wars reference!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I inordinately hate Land because of his stance on monkeys.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I'm reading Fire Caste and this passage had me raise my eyebrows:

quote:

Like many Arkan patricians Vendrake was no great believer in the Emperor’s Light. After all, He hadn’t shed much light on Old Providence. Just two centuries ago, blithely unaware of the approaching Imperium, Vendrake’s ancestors had revelled in the new-found glories of steel and steam. It had been a time of unfettered innovation, with the Grand Machinists churning out new wonders every day. The Senate had declared the old gods dead and the Seven Hells mere fables. Men were free to explore a puzzle box universe where everything was possible and nothing was forbidden. Then the warships of the Imperium had arrived and crushed the dream, but the grand families had never forgotten their past.

The novel is definitely set in 40k, as it features the Tau. Does it gel with canon that as late as the 41st millennium there were still uncontacted human worlds who had never been reached by the Great Crusade?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

NihilCredo posted:

The novel is definitely set in 40k, as it features the Tau. Does it gel with canon that as late as the 41st millennium there were still uncontacted human worlds who had never been reached by the Great Crusade?

Could be localized warp storms, a nebula that cuts off sensors, lots of stuff.

40k is a mulligan stew not a setting. If you need it in the universe it's there.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

NihilCredo posted:

Yeah, they pop up in the lore pretty regularly. Remember space is mind-bogglingly enormous and the have the excuse of the Warp and its ever changing dangers to explain pretty much anything.

I think the saddest one was when the contacted a really high-tech human world that had mostly managed to hang onto advanced tech way beyond what the Imperium had who told the Imperium to gently caress off when they tried to fold them in. The Imperium ended up just slamming a bunch of asteroids into them and destroying the whole planet when they couldn't manage to establish a beach-head on the planet.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Also as far as I'm aware humanity colonized the entire galaxy during the Age of Technology, whereas the Imperium was still expanding during the Horus Heresy and never explored the furthest reaches. So there are certainly uncontacted human worlds out there - albeit ones that may have already been invaded by other groups.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

NihilCredo posted:

The Great Crusade was never completed, the Heresy interrupted it's progress in pretty dramatic style and things never really got going again at anything like the same pace afterwards. So yeah, there's huge swathes of space that's sat on a to-do list in a filling cabinet somewhere on Terra for the last ten millennia.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Roller Coast Guard posted:

The Great Crusade was never completed, the Heresy interrupted it's progress in pretty dramatic style and things never really got going again at anything like the same pace afterwards. So yeah, there's huge swathes of space that's sat on a to-do list in a filling cabinet somewhere on Terra for the last ten millennia.

Most of the post great crusade recontact of other human worlds is seemingly done as a reconquest of old previously lost imperium holdings and/or as a military response to alien activity. It is basically just hard to expand when you have to put out fires all the time

So every year that to-do list is probably ritually carried in a procession to the high lord's chamber of notification where the procession chants the wishes of the emperors devine wisdom three times and then goes back in scared silence to the administratum hive.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I love that image. The High Lords gathering for the annual evaluation of the progress of the Great Crusade basically being the UK's opening of parliament with ritualised stupid bullshit.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Zore posted:

Yeah, they pop up in the lore pretty regularly. Remember space is mind-bogglingly enormous and the have the excuse of the Warp and its ever changing dangers to explain pretty much anything.

I think the saddest one was when the contacted a really high-tech human world that had mostly managed to hang onto advanced tech way beyond what the Imperium had who told the Imperium to gently caress off when they tried to fold them in. The Imperium ended up just slamming a bunch of asteroids into them and destroying the whole planet when they couldn't manage to establish a beach-head on the planet.

To be fair, if it's the one's the Space Wolves were sicked on, they decidedly did not see themselves as "human" and the "live vivisections" of the envoys demonstrated clearly this fact.

Arquinsiel posted:

I love that image. The High Lords gathering for the annual evaluation of the progress of the Great Crusade basically being the UK's opening of parliament with ritualised stupid bullshit.

"The Crusade is going well." "It's coming home!"

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

NihilCredo posted:

Oh yeah. There's worlds out on the fringes that've been doing their own thing this entire time. Mankind went everywhere during the Dark Ages.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Imperium calls the Dark Age that because it was bereft of the Emperor's light, not because it was a period of decline. It was humanity's highest point and everything they've done has been to try and get it back.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Dominion the new Age of Sigmar novel seems like a great starting point book for the setting from what I have read so far.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

wiegieman posted:

The Imperium calls the Dark Age that because it was bereft of the Emperor's light, not because it was a period of decline. It was humanity's highest point and everything they've done has been to try and get it back.
Also because humanity trusted in machines to do things for them, not the divine human form.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Are there any more books in the Indomitus era aside from Dawn of Fire 1-2, Indomitus, and Dark Imperium 1-3?

Edit-- specifically after the resurrection of Roboute Guilliman

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 4, 2021

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Are there any more books in the Indomitus era aside from Dawn of Fire 1-2, Indomitus, and Dark Imperium 1-3?

There's random ones like Mark of Faith, Apocalypse, Of Iron and Honour to name a few. I wish they had some kinda "Era Indomitus" imprint for "current day" books

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Judging by how a recovered dark age ai was disgusted with the imperium being a bunch of ignorant religious zealots and called them squatters on the legacy of mankind. The imperium probably isn’t viewed as something any of the groups on the fringes want anything to do with.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Watchers of the throne is just as things are popping off on terra

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Zasze posted:

Judging by how a recovered dark age ai was disgusted with the imperium being a bunch of ignorant religious zealots and called them squatters on the legacy of mankind. The imperium probably isn’t viewed as something any of the groups on the fringes want anything to do with.

What story was this, and what happened to the AI?

They purged it, I assume? :ohdear:

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

In the Man of Iron short story there's a Man of Iron wondering around a black stone fortress pretending to be a tech priest's remote robot. He is very salty about the imperium and the false omnissiah.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Most AI didn’t survive the warp getting bad again after the Eldar fell. Or didn’t survive without being possessed.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I still love the chaos virus that hosed up Mars. It's so dumb, how can a virus make something sentient and murderous and then it just did.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Xenomrph posted:

It blew a digital raspberry and took the spaceship it was driving back into the warp.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Xenomrph posted:

The novel it happens in is The Death of Integrity. Written by Guy Haley, but who doesn't love an AI berating a Martian Magos as a "tiny-minded, moronic primitive"?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

It blew a digital raspberry and took the spaceship it was driving back into the warp.

There's a passing mention in another Haley book (Godblight or Great Work) about how Cawl "bested" it.

Who wants to bet it's now working for him.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm surprised at how much I'm coming to like Guilliman ... After reading Avenging Son and now I'm halfway through Dark Imperium -- he's a surprisingly deep character.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

They're actually doing something mildly interesting with Guilliman having to confront the existence of actual gods and the idea that the Emperor has probably become one.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I'm surprised at how much I'm coming to like Guilliman ... After reading Avenging Son and now I'm halfway through Dark Imperium -- he's a surprisingly deep character.

The last chapter of Plague Wars might be my favourite Guilliman scene.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
did the kaban machine ever show up again?

if not i hope one of the authors remembers it and writes an hangout session with it and cawl

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Xenomrph posted:

Z the IVth posted:

There's a passing mention in another Haley book (Godblight or Great Work) about how Cawl "bested" it.

Who wants to bet it's now working for him.

It woke up, yanked the memories out of the interfacing techpriest, absolutely demolished the fleet they were with with Necron tier and/or beyond level weaponry and then basically super warp jumped to either the Galaxy edge or out of the galaxy because the Imperium murdered it's captain.

Cawl is full of poo poo, the AI was/is basically way way outside of much of the settings ability to handle.

It was very much a "Hey you know those super advanced ships from other Scifi Novels like the Culture ones? This is one of them and it's Pissed."

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 5, 2021

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

It woke up, yanked the memories out of the interfacing techpriest, absolutely demolished the fleet they were with with Necron tier and/or beyond level weaponry and then basically super warp jumped to either the Galaxy edge or out of the galaxy because the Imperium murdered it's captain.

Cawl is full of poo poo, the AI was/is basically way way outside of much of the settings ability to handle.

It was very much a "Hey you know those super advanced ships from other Scifi Novels like the Culture ones? This is one of them and it's Pissed."

I mean he is probably full of poo poo but he did successfully beat a c'tan shard so he shouldn't be underestimated.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The new Gaunt's Ghost book was great. Apparently it's going to be a new series running in parallel to the main one. Some very interesting revelations that I am excited to see play out. The new Sabbat War anthology was also excellent.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Molothecat posted:

Watchers of the throne is just as things are popping off on terra

If anyone hasn't read these, then you're in for a treat. So good. If you enjoy Guilliman returning, these are a must.

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Devastation of Baal happens right after he was revived. I didn't care for it much.

Shroud of Night happens as the Primaris are starting to be introduced. I enjoyed this.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 5, 2021

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Abnett had this nailed so early on. I'm reading back through Gaunt's Ghosts, and I'm in the part of the Saint omnibus with the WW1 planet, when they're shacked up in the manor house.

Dan Abnett posted:

‘I know. I know. It never lets up, does it? War. There’s only war. It’s the only future we’ve got. Dark? Yes! Grim? Oh, yes, sir! There’s only ever war!’

Silly Newbie fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 5, 2021

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

It seems a little disconnected from the Indomitus Crusade since it's about an Inquisitor during the Psychic Awakening, but after the events of the latest few Indomitus books, I think "The Horusian Wars" by John French is setting up the same things from another angle.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It seems a little disconnected from the Indomitus Crusade since it's about an Inquisitor during the Psychic Awakening, but after the events of the latest few Indomitus books, I think "The Horusian Wars" by John French is setting up the same things from another angle.

I like those books because they show the warp in a more "weird psychic ascension to higher plane of understanding" kind of way and less "rawr demons! teeth and blood! Rrr!"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Biplane posted:

I like those books because they show the warp in a more "weird psychic ascension to higher plane of understanding" kind of way and less "rawr demons! teeth and blood! Rrr!"
These are the same thing though?

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

D-Pad posted:

The new Gaunt's Ghost book was great. Apparently it's going to be a new series running in parallel to the main one. Some very interesting revelations that I am excited to see play out. The new Sabbat War anthology was also excellent.

Urdesh? I really enjoyed its depiction of Astartes, similiarly to the way Abnett/ADB writes them. Not just charging in at poo poo with helmets off but genuinely masters of their craft. Felt a little short though. Big fan of Farrer's work after his Arbites novels.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Biplane posted:

Yeah those scenes are all great.

Big spoilers but check them out if you read Godblight but don't wanna read The Horusian Wars.

This series doesn't deal with Primaris, or the Indomitus crusade, or Guilliman at all, but it is set post-Rift in that same time, and the major theme is the effects of the Rift on Faith. Which is the same thing Guilliman is having to think about.

The final book isn't out yet, but the series so far has shown what is perhaps the actual big E, or some type of Chaos God of Order that corresponds to humanity's belief rather than the actual man on the Golden Throne, or just something weird and new, that is trying to wake up and take a new body.

It seems insane or fractured and lacks a sense of self, it is definitely traumatised and struggling to focus on the materium, but it seems to be gaining coherency and recalling it's purpose. Every time it tries to manifest by possessing one of the faithful, it fucks it up and dies and loads of people die, but it comes slightly closer to success each time.

There is a deeply Puritan Inquisitor who uses a very high quality Emperor's Tarot deck made out of psychic crystals or something, and it's heavily implied that it really does work, the Corpse Emperor/Warp Emperor actually does answer the faithful and help them through those cards, if they know what they are doing.

There's loads of stuff like that which establishes Faith as something that is becoming more powerful due to the Rift, and hints that the Emperor is taking an active role in events again, and how the Inquisition, Puritan, Radical, or Heretic, are dealing with that and it's implications.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Its been fairly canon for awhile that the Emperors tarot does work, sometimes.

Also I think he caused a warpstorm at somepoint pre rift.

You also have the whole Legion of the Damned thing.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 5, 2021