Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

DogsInSpace! posted:

Almost want someone to steal this idea for a live action sci fi as that would be legit horror. Good show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm0V24IEHao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Thanks for the suggestions!
Especially Megg, Mogg & Owl based on the samples.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

just another posted:

Thanks for the suggestions!
Especially Megg, Mogg & Owl based on the samples.

Have you read Achewood?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Final Space got pretty dark this past season.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

drrockso20 posted:

Have you read Achewood?

Yes, but not as often as I should.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I have been really liking season 2 of Tuca and Bertie.

Also, what happened to Birdgirl? I was lukewarm on the first episode, but I was really starting to like it. Was it canceled already just as it was finding its groove? If so that's a bummer.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I have been really liking season 2 of Tuca and Bertie.

Also, what happened to Birdgirl? I was lukewarm on the first episode, but I was really starting to like it. Was it canceled already just as it was finding its groove? If so that's a bummer.

It got 6 episodes and everything but the 5th can be streamed from Adult Swim's website without signing into a cable provider account. Entire series is out season 2 still seems to be up in the air. I normally give shows a second season is green lit before hopping on but at 6 episodes I might just watch it now.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's a current era Adult Swim show. 6 episodes is a standard season.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m on Castlevania season 3. Good art. A lot of the characters are idiots, or I just find their plot lines and motivations a bit contrived. They usually manage to pull some really banger endings to the seasons though so I’m watching to see the confluence of forces get wrecked by the protagonists.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Ccs posted:

I’m on Castlevania season 3. Good art. A lot of the characters are idiots, or I just find their plot lines and motivations a bit contrived. They usually manage to pull some really banger endings to the seasons though so I’m watching to see the confluence of forces get wrecked by the protagonists.

All the side characters from the season feel either really dumb or very forced. The magistrate's keeps swearing and its really out of place. I like the show, but the writing in this one felt really off.

Its a silly show but the action scenes are fantastic.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Come And See posted:

Gary And His Demons a million times.

Also seconding Megg, Mogg & Owl, the best ongoing comic today. (:nws: Example here.)
The COVID arc is the best they've ever done and the definitive time-capsule of this period. (Also very :nws:)

holy poo poo this is horrific

I've spent all night reading this, it's the best comic I've ever seen, though to be fair that's mostly based on it being the most recent comic I've seen and the fact that I have a memory like a termite. But still. I didn't know poo poo like this still even loving existed. I bet I haven't seen something this earnestly grotesque in at least a decade.

And that's just the surface-level value! Brings a tear to my eye.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Crazy Ferret posted:

All the side characters from the season feel either really dumb or very forced. The magistrate's keeps swearing and its really out of place. I like the show, but the writing in this one felt really off.

Its a silly show but the action scenes are fantastic.

*man turns into bloody chunks*

*fleshbeast grinds victim into sticky paste*

Thank the almighty there weren't no cussing though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LMAO at the idea that fancy people in olden times wouldn’t swear, as though their were literally any mechanism in place to punish or dissuade them from doing so.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Most of our swear words iirc are extremely old words.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Open Source Idiom posted:

*man turns into bloody chunks*

*fleshbeast grinds victim into sticky paste*

Thank the almighty there weren't no cussing though.

Oh it’s not that. It’s more like someone went back through the script and decided to insert a new extra fucks and motherfucks into every other sentence, especially at the start of the season. It stuck me like one of my students suddenly cussing a lot to sound more like an adult.

Honestly it was only the third season I noticed it. Usually the show does well with the two leads playfully telling each other to gently caress off.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The swearing feels performative. Same with that Dragon's Dogma show I only made a couple episodes through.

The priory plotline in season 3 is the only one I'm really invested in because I want to see those guys get their due. And the continual teasing of Hector by rosy cheeked vampire lady is also fun. Isaac... is a moron. Alucard's storyline... maybe I should care but I dont.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
We watched about 20 minutes of America: the Motion Picture on Netflix before we had to turn it off because the writing was just so bad. What an astonishing waste of artistry, it's such loving gorgeous 2D animation.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
That's too bad. I saw the trailer and thought "this looks so stupid (in a good way)".

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I assure you that Shakespeare himself said all these swears.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

XboxPants posted:

holy poo poo this is horrific

I've spent all night reading this, it's the best comic I've ever seen, though to be fair that's mostly based on it being the most recent comic I've seen and the fact that I have a memory like a termite. But still. I didn't know poo poo like this still even loving existed. I bet I haven't seen something this earnestly grotesque in at least a decade.

And that's just the surface-level value! Brings a tear to my eye.

If you appreciated that you should get the books! They're each fantastic*.
*TW: There is one story in the first book that involves a sexual assault birthday prank. Hanselmann has mentioned he wouldn't write material like that anymore (though you can kinda tell it was based on a true story/someone he knew growing up poor in Tasmania.)

As for Castlevania, the only good scene is the lobby fight in S2:E7 (because it has Bloody Tears and no one talks). The rest is mostly forgettable. The side plots in S3 were awful (Alucard's in particular), though I'll admit the main plot was above average. Still need to hatewatch S4.

EDIT: VVVVVVVVVVVV

XboxPants posted:

I ordered that poo poo the same night. I blame you.

Can't wait to just guzzle this stuff right down my gullet. Not joking when I say that Crisis Zone actually did help me feel better about myself and the year I've gone through and the way I've been dealing with it. I mean... how could it not? :lol:
I'll gladly take that blame (and share it with Space Cadet Omoly). I'm happy for you!

Thankfully Seeds & Stems collects a vast chunk of all those ends and odds, so I'm confident all of the WWJ & Sons will be collected in time.

Come And See fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 10, 2021

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Come And See posted:

If you appreciated that you should get the books! They're each fantastic*.
*TW: There is one story in the first book that involves a sexual assault birthday prank. Hanselmann has mentioned he wouldn't write material like that anymore (though you can kinda tell it was based on a true story/someone he knew growing up poor in Tasmania.)

I ordered that poo poo the same night. I blame you.
Actually, it should be here soon. Hmm. Wait a sec, Amazon says I have a delivery! :o:

Not joking, I really didn't even realize it was already sitting on my porch until I went to check the shipment status so I could mention it in this post! I don't have much respect for paying money to consume media but this seemed worth it. Get to support this absolutely batshit author AND I don't have to spend hours and hours trying to track this stuff down on shady as gently caress websites. Goddamn there's a lot of random little ends and odds for this series and they seem to be pretty drat hard to find. I hope they make a Werewolf Jones & Sons collection.

Also the books themselves are really nice! Great for a personal library. I can see this as the kind of thing I'll want to read again or show/lend to people.

BTW, thanks for the content warning, but after reading the entirety of Crisis Zone, as well as the summer pool story I trust Hanselmann to be able to handle terrible, terrible rape jokes in a way that's somehow not offensive. It probably does help that it comes from a genuine place of personal experience; I read that the poo poo from the pool story about the pedophile was also poo poo that Hanselmann actually went through.

These characters all feel like real people that I could know going through the kinds of stuff and responding in the kinds of ways that people I've known really do. I mean, somewhat embellished. But I've spent so much time and energy trying to understand why me & the other evil crusty scumbags I know do the things we do, and not just write everyone off... so, when WWJ starts streaming an anal insertion onlyfans out of his friends living room so he can buy toilet paper for his kids during quarantine, it's just like, or Owl can't take the constant pedophilia accusations and kicks a cat through a window, it's just like, "haven't we ALL been there?"

Can't wait to just guzzle this stuff right down my gullet. Not joking when I say that Crisis Zone actually did help me feel better about myself and the year I've gone through and the way I've been dealing with it. I mean... how could it not? :lol:

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 8, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I had to see this so now you do too:

https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/status/1420477549583425539?s=19

It's Allen Gregory crossed with Stewie Griffin and also he's part of the monarchy, so I'm sure he'll be a highly relatable and likeable character!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
God, that was loving abysmal.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It can't possibly be as bad as Allen Gregory, but records were made to be broken.

Like holy drat that show was memory holed so hard you can't even :files: it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Can they please stop drawing everything like Family Guy

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wait wait I just had a crack/ping

How the gently caress did Allen Gregory's showrunner become president of the writer's guild

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

just another posted:

Besides I guess Bojack (which I haven't tried watching yet) and the new season of Rick & Morty, are there any newer mean-spirited/cynical/depressing animated shows worth checking out? I'm still trying to fill a Moral Orel-shaped hole in my heart.

Check out Undone if you have Amazon Prime, it's another project by the guy who gave us Bojack

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I had to see this so now you do too:

https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/status/1420477549583425539?s=19

It's Allen Gregory crossed with Stewie Griffin and also he's part of the monarchy, so I'm sure he'll be a highly relatable and likeable character!

I watched this because I wanted to see how bad it was, and in many ways it is indeed very bad, but surprisingly enough it also has some good parts. I wouldn't go so far to say that the good things out way the bad, or that the good things are good enough that they make the show worth watching, but I do hope that what ever people are responsible for the good things get to work on a better show someday because their time and talents are being wasted on The Prince.

The main problem with The Prince is that it's a cartoon about the royal family that doesn't have anything interesting or funny to say about the royal family. It's a show where the core concept is the least interesting thing about it, which is a huge problem and raises the question of why they decide to base a comedy around this premise when the only jokes they can come up with are lazy poo poo like "old people, am I right?!" and "British people, am I right?!" and "Rich people are bad at doing things!" over and over again each time less funny than the last.

The times when the show gets good are the times when it focuses on things that are NOT the royal family. The stuff I actually enjoyed were the subplots about the servants. There's an episode focusing on the butler on his day off and I actually got a little sad when he tells a story about how much he misses his dead wife. and there's this delightfully insane storyline about the last surviving member of a race of troll like cooks who lived underground making a single kind of tarts whom is seeking revenge against the royal family because the queen suddenly stopped liking the tart they made and thus all of the other troll cooks were burned to death. which I liked so much I wish it was a part of a better show.

So, yeah, The prince is a bad show based around a bad idea that only gets good when it focuses on things that are not the bad idea it's based on and I wish they had made a show about those things instead.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The main problem with The Prince is that it's a cartoon about the royal family that doesn't have anything interesting or funny to say about the royal family. It's a show where the core concept is the least interesting thing about it, which is a huge problem and raises the question of why they decide to base a comedy around this premise when the only jokes they can come up with are lazy poo poo like "old people, am I right?!" and "British people, am I right?!" and "Rich people are bad at doing things!" over and over again each time less funny than the last.

I wonder if it endlessly praises the Meghan Markle and Prince Harry analogues? Because sure they probably slightly less lovely than the royal family, but that doesn't mean they are great people or anything. They are still living large in a mansion they bought with royal incest money.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
The only way it could really be good is if the royal racism towards Markle was a prominent aspect.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I wonder if it endlessly praises the Meghan Markle and Prince Harry analogues? Because sure they probably slightly less lovely than the royal family, but that doesn't mean they are great people or anything. They are still living large in a mansion they bought with royal incest money.

It does not.

Pararoid posted:

The only way it could really be good is if the royal racism towards Markle was a prominent aspect.

It is not.

I can not stress enough how little the show cares about making any sort of commentary, either positive or negative, on the state of the royal family beyond "Old/British/Rich people, am I right?!" None of the writers have anything interesting or witty to say about the British royal family, which is a problem when you're trying to make a comedy about the British royal family.

They really should have made a comedy about literally anything else instead.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
My guess is they originally had a concept completely unrelated to the whole Royal Family one and had to attach it in order to get any actual interest to make it, it's a way too common thing these days in the entertainment industry

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

drrockso20 posted:

My guess is they originally had a concept completely unrelated to the whole Royal Family one and had to attach it in order to get any actual interest to make it, it's a way too common thing these days in the entertainment industry

I would buy that 100%, which is a shame because you can see some hints that whatever concept they had actually wanted to work on originally would have been much better.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Transgressive, but irrelevant. Not a good mix.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Rick and Morty really feels like it’s spinning it’s wheels this season because they have such a large episode order to fill up. It feels like they have a bunch of subjects they want to riff on but the characters don’t feel consistent anymore and there isn’t that sense of subtle horror to any of the proceedings. Everyone is used to how crazy living with Rick is, they’re just doing wacky poo poo each week.

I went back to watch a season 4 episode and it’s like an entirely different show. Did the writers sense of humor get numbed by covid?

Ccs fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 3, 2021

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Ccs posted:

Rick and Morty really feels like it’s spinning it’s wheels this season because they have such a large episode order to fill up. It feels like they have a bunch of subjects they want to riff on but the characters don’t feel consistent anymore and there isn’t that sense of subtle horror to any of the proceedings. Everyone is used to how crazy living with Rick is, they’re just doing wacky poo poo each week.

I went back to watch a season 4 episode and it’s like an entirely different show. Did the writers sense of humor get numbed by covid?

I thought s3 and 4 had a lot of awful episodes too, but at least they also had great ones. Season 5 has been awful so far, every episode concept is bad and other than Jerry everyone's become a sociopath just like Rick so the characters are boring too.

I think I'm done with the show for the time being.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Rick and Morty has become a show I let episodes pile up then binge while drinking one night. I used to do that with The Simpsons for years. I think the last Simpsons season I watched was 2017 or so. So I'll likely see how generic and lifeless Rick and Morty will get in 2042.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

pixaal posted:

So I'll likely see how generic and lifeless Rick and Morty will get in 2042.

Look at me Morty, i'm a dildo! I'm Dildoriiiiiiiiccccccck

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think it's just alright. Which is kind of disappointing but also kind of inevitable? Given enough time, all shows go downhill. Right now I still get at least one good chuckle out of it per episode and don't find it actively bad and that's all I ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There are examples of shows that just keep getting better until they suddenly end, right?

Futurama maybe, if you don't count anything past the initial run