Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

spaceblancmange posted:

I played Control and it was ok.

I got it recently, still playing through it. I like it so far, it gets pretty creative even if the premise is wholesale SCP but written by adults maybe. What I don't like is the handholdy almost Other M little lines of internal monologue TELLing me what the game could be (and sometimes already is) SHOWing. Maybe that's a relevant plot point for later, I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Excelzior posted:

air tastes like copper....or, old world gold

wrong copper doesn't taste like anything, you are tasting 1-octen-3-one :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqLH-nTZEOc

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i went through mass effect le a little while ago and i was surprised by martin sheen's illusive man performance. because that seems like something an actor of sheen's caliber would totally phone in but it wasn't

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

JollyBoyJohn posted:

its low hanging fruit at this point to point out bad dialogue/voice acting in videogames, raise the medium up by pointing out the best examples instead, i'll start

Bastion
Logan Cunnigham as the narrator was great

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 4, 2021

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

peter gabriel posted:

Jumping Flash! 2 is better than Cyberpunk 2077

Counterpoint, Cyberpunk 2077 was actually a really good game and story, and if they had drawn a firm line and made it a next gen console exclusive they would not have had the headaches and bugs from trying to overachieve on dated hardware

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Random Stranger posted:

I think we all know the peak of video game voice acting was System Shock's SHODAN and it's all been downhill since then.

the pinnacle of voice acting was dynasty warriors 3, followed by anything produced by working designs. all overly melodramatic games saved by interns and theater performers giving hammy saturday morning cartoon deliveries

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fur20 posted:

the pinnacle of voice acting was dynasty warriors 3, followed by anything produced by working designs. all overly melodramatic games saved by interns and theater performers giving hammy saturday morning cartoon deliveries

Hammy delivery works well for games, especially for voice lines that need to be heard over the din.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

site posted:

i went through mass effect le a little while ago and i was surprised by martin sheen's illusive man performance. because that seems like something an actor of sheen's caliber would totally phone in but it wasn't

I recently replayed through the series with the remastered version, and the Citadel dlc really ruins the third game even more than the ending. It was so bad I couldn’t even finish the dlc and just reverted to the save before I even started it.

ME3 is so odd because some of the plot and writing in there is pretty good, but then the other half is just awful, even before the ending.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

site posted:

All the celeb voices they got really did try. This was no Liam Neeson as Dad or Patrick Stewart as Emperor. Moss as Aria, Green as Joker and as you noted Sheen as TIM all put in a lot of effort.

Keith Szarabajka is kind of a celebrity voice-actor.but he's also just a "regular" voice-actor. In any event, he ruled and both he and Jason Marsden did prominent voices in games around this game. Mass Effect, Fallout New Vegas, Xenosaga and Final Fantasy XIII-2. Love all those games, no coincidence.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I imagine with video games it's often a case of whether they have actual voice direction. A lot of games seriously phone in voice acting because they don't really understand (or have the budget for) what you actually need to be good at it.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Dinklage in Destiny

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Any character that Tony Jay voiced in anything is top tier.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Counterpoint, Cyberpunk 2077 was actually a really good game and story, and if they had drawn a firm line and made it a next gen console exclusive they would not have had the headaches and bugs from trying to overachieve on dated hardware

Sounds like Killzone from 2004 all over again. The original was a broken and janky POS that got rightfully mocked. Then the sequel hit and was FAR better than people expected and had a bit of a following on the PS3. As did the third game which had a pretty active userbase when FPS games that weren't Call of Duty or Halo were dying within a month.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I imagine with video games it's often a case of whether they have actual voice direction. A lot of games seriously phone in voice acting because they don't really understand (or have the budget for) what you actually need to be good at it.

A lot of Hollywood actors see it as an easy paycheque so I imagine they are like Krusty the Clown recording dolls who just come in, read their lines then leave. Actual voice actors are only as good as the people directing them.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
And video games usually have really bad voice direction.
Very rarely do they actually have actors come into the studio together and record their conversations as real back-and-forth conversations, partially because that's just way more expensive than doing it the lazy way.

Famously, for Oblivion Bethesda just handed its VAs an alphabetized list of all their lines with no context or direction.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Uniracers was the most hardcore racing game on SNES. You had to master meta-mechanics and course design if you ever wanted to beat the harder difficulties.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Tetrabor posted:

Uniracers was the most hardcore racing game on SNES. You had to master meta-mechanics and course design if you ever wanted to beat the harder difficulties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgJMrVMQcGw

:stare:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

:catdrugs:

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Underrail is CRIMINALLY underrated

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
For sure. Anyone whose a fan of Fallout 1 and 2 need to give it a look. Pretty steep learning curve but well worth it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

runnypoops posted:

isn't it underrated just the right amount, being really cool but also packed front to back with trap builds and player character choices that are mathematically incapable of finishing the game

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The only good voice acting in video games is the dude who yelled "Triarii!" In Rome: Total War.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Breetai posted:

The only good voice acting in video games is the dude who yelled "Triarii!" In Rome: Total War.

:hmmyes:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fur20 posted:

packed front to back with trap builds and player character choices that are mathematically incapable of finishing the game

ah a classic RPG

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just noticed that Squenix have tossed up ports of the first six Final Fantasies and the price of the bundle sure is something. :v:
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/21478/FINAL_FANTASY_IVI_Bundle/

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
lol nice $100 roms. looks like they are reusing the gameboy advance sprites

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rutibex posted:

lol nice $100 roms. looks like they are reusing the gameboy advance sprites

that actually would have been fine. in truth they're just-barely redrawn versions of the sprites to observe proportion marginally more properly, all while washing out the colors and making everyone look like xcom tallmen

itry
Aug 23, 2019

runnypoops posted:

:haibrower:

Fur20 posted:

isn't it underrated just the right amount, being really cool but also packed front to back with trap builds and player character choices that are mathematically incapable of finishing the game

Yes. But it's still good, and the expansion is great.

Lodin posted:

Just noticed that Squenix have tossed up ports of the first six Final Fantasies and the price of the bundle sure is something. :v:
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/21478/FINAL_FANTASY_IVI_Bundle/

squeenix is loving terrible

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

All the celeb voices they got really did try. This was no Liam Neeson as Dad or Patrick Stewart as Emperor. Moss as Aria, Green as Joker and as you noted Sheen as TIM all put in a lot of effort.

Keith Szarabajka is kind of a celebrity voice-actor.but he's also just a "regular" voice-actor. In any event, he ruled and both he and Jason Marsden did prominent voices in games around this game. Mass Effect, Fallout New Vegas, Xenosaga and Final Fantasy XIII-2. Love all those games, no coincidence.

Marina Sirtis was really bad in ME, but that's just because she's not good at acting. She also seemed to really try. When she needed to really emote it always stuck out like a sore thumb.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

underrail would have benefitted immensely from allowing you to have a single companion with you. as a solo experience it is BRUTAL and unforgiving (especially at higher difficulties) and that's simply not for everyone

that being said the game itself is fantastic

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

it's funny how many pc people still think cyberpunk was really bad, sight unseen, because it got a bad port to console. we've been playing lovely console->pc ports forever, and these people won't play it because they heard it was bad on ps4

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm still psyched to play Cyberpunk, I know I'm gonna enjoy it a lot. I'm just waiting for the PS5 upgrade which I imagine will be announced at the next Playstation conference thing.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Jumping Flash! 2 is really good though.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Caesar Saladin posted:

I'm still psyched to play Cyberpunk, I know I'm gonna enjoy it a lot. I'm just waiting for the PS5 upgrade which I imagine will be announced at the next Playstation conference thing.

I was gonna wait as well but said gently caress it and started playing it the other day. Runs perfectly fine on ps5 so far even if it's a bit buggy lol

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

At launch there was a bug that would just cause the player's dick to hang out of their pants all the time and tbh everyone should wait to play cyberpunk 2077 until this can be modded back in

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

fridge corn posted:

I was gonna wait as well but said gently caress it and started playing it the other day. Runs perfectly fine on ps5 so far even if it's a bit buggy lol

Honestly, for me Cyberpunk ran mostly pretty well around launch on an Xbox One X (not the Xbox Series X because who would ever confuse back to back consoles with identical names?). There was a day 2 patch that fixed a lot of the lagginess, and after that the game played decently well with about the same level noticeable bugs as other AAA launches. I would say it was my favorite game of 2020 (pending Ghosts of Tsushima and Last of Us 2 playthroughs). Not even counting Spider Man Morales as 2020 since PS5 is still a pipe dream.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, My PC is nothing special but I played it after a couple of patches earlier this year and it was fine. Obviously there was a ton of jank and bugs but nothing that hindered me from enjoying it. The remaster of Mass Effect 1 was actually worse since that had several quests I couldn't complete since NPCs didn't spawn. That was way more irritating.

itry posted:

squeenix is loving terrible
My guess is they're just throwing those prices at the wall to see if it sticks. Right now you can get the fancy version of XV and some of the other later games for around the same price as the SNES ports.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Cyberpunk actually looked so good and ran so well with DLSS on my 2070 at 1440p60 ultra that it convinced me to put off buying a new video card for a year or two.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Honestly, for me Cyberpunk ran mostly pretty well around launch on an Xbox One X (not the Xbox Series X because who would ever confuse back to back consoles with identical names?).

they should've called it the xbox 420 lol

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

poverty goat posted:

Cyberpunk actually looked so good and ran so well with DLSS on my 2070 at 1440p60 ultra that it convinced me to put off buying a new video card for a year or two.

Seriously, thank god DLSS came along because I'm not sure if I'm ever going to upgrade my GPU again at this rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Oh no!!!