Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Sri.Theo posted:

Legit annoyed at the mini cancellation. I was looking forward to buying one when my current phone gets EOL. I guess there’s a large crossover between people that keep their phones for a long time and people that want iPhone minis.

Probably some good deals on the mini right now - it's a good enough price in my part of the world that I'm considering buying one despite thinking it's far too small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

lol...I just bought an SE today. Any chances the 12 mini will go on sale to clear out inventory?

Speaking of new iPhone, what are the recommended cases for an SE? Are Otter cases still the go to or is there something better/cheaper? What about screen protectors, are they worth it?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I like the idea of widgets, but every single time I add one to my home screen I think, "goddamn this takes up way too much space and just kicked 8 icons to the second page that I hate flipping to" and end up deleting it. The only exception is the Siri suggestions or whatever. That one is actually nice.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Since 14 I’ve been doing okay with my battery widget eating up 4 spots, and my Dexcom eating up the other, losing the first two rows.

Ive become so reliant on spotlight search for anything outside of my top 6-8 used apps that it hasn’t been an issue for me. I don’t know why I’ve just created the muscle memory to pull down and type a letter and it feels faster than any other method of accessing an app. I sometimes catch myself doing it for apps even on my Home Screen.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

MH Knights posted:

lol...I just bought an SE today. Any chances the 12 mini will go on sale to clear out inventory?

Speaking of new iPhone, what are the recommended cases for an SE? Are Otter cases still the go to or is there something better/cheaper? What about screen protectors, are they worth it?

I got this case for $12 from Amazon. Grippy and solid

Smartish iPhone 7/8/SE (2020) Slim Case - Gripmunk [Lightweight + Protective] Thin Cover for Apple iPhone SE 2020 & iPhone 7/8 - [Silk] - Black Tie Affair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JTI1M1Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_F15HPE5840GCXZQ6QF0Y

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MH Knights posted:

These are still rumors or stopped production. Apple is still selling it, all the retailers still have inventory. Sounds like, if the rumor is true, it just won't return after the next refresh. I wouldn't expect any discounts any time soon.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I like the idea of widgets, but every single time I add one to my home screen I think, "goddamn this takes up way too much space and just kicked 8 icons to the second page that I hate flipping to" and end up deleting it. The only exception is the Siri suggestions or whatever. That one is actually nice.
I have one 2x2 size widget on my home screen...which is a 4 app stack consisting of the apps that'd be in that 2x2 space, mainly to have a little month view calendar (Fantastical).

FCKGW posted:

These are still rumors or stopped production. Apple is still selling it, all the retailers still have inventory. Sounds like, if the rumor is true, it just won't return after the next refresh. I wouldn't expect any discounts any time soon.
Yeah if the lineup basically stays the same (which seems to be the case according to the 13 rumors), the 11 would move down to replace the XR, regular 12 replaces the 11, and equivalent 13s replace the 12s.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Lol that they released the perfect phone and no one bought it. gently caress.

I thought it had a very sub-par battery?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Isn’t the 11 Pro supposed to be water resistant? I was canoeing with it in my pocket yesterday. The canoe tipped and I ended up in the lake. I was out of the water in about a minute, and my phone was never deeper than about three feet. The phone was fully dried off after about ten minutes. Yet, water got into the camera enclosure, with moisture visible as I looked into the lenses. A bag of rice fixed that, but now Face ID won’t work. Am I missing something, ie it’s only water resistant if I use a certain case? I’m out of warranty and didn’t buy AppleCare, so I’m out of luck.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bob Socko posted:

Isn’t the 11 Pro supposed to be water resistant? I was canoeing with it in my pocket yesterday. The canoe tipped and I ended up in the lake. I was out of the water in about a minute, and my phone was never deeper than about three feet. The phone was fully dried off after about ten minutes. Yet, water got into the camera enclosure, with moisture visible as I looked into the lenses. A bag of rice fixed that, but now Face ID won’t work. Am I missing something, ie it’s only water resistant if I use a certain case? I’m out of warranty and didn’t buy AppleCare, so I’m out of luck.

water-resistant means you can like, get water on it, and it'll be fine. being fully submerged in lake water for more than a few seconds is another matter entirely. water damage isn't covered by any level of apple warranty (in the u.s. at least, it might be different in regions with actual consumer protection laws) so you'd be out of luck either way, but always use a water-proof case in situations like these

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Weedle posted:

water-resistant means you can like, get water on it, and it'll be fine. being fully submerged in lake water for more than a few seconds is another matter entirely. water damage isn't covered by any level of apple warranty (in the u.s. at least, it might be different in regions with actual consumer protection laws) so you'd be out of luck either way, but always use a water-proof case in situations like these

Ah, there we go then. Thank you!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Only the watch is rated for full submersion, right?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Haven’t they all been IP68 certified for a few years? But either way, yeah, I believe Apple explicitly does not warranty them against water damage regardless.

e: yeah IP68 since iPhone XS (and IP67 since iPhone 7)

fourwood fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 5, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iPhone is only rated for getting batter, flour, and tap water on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xMEMGHgYtM

You can also drop a pepper grinder on it. Canoeing is strictly forbidden.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

what if i drop a canoe on it?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Not sure how much faith I have in Apple’s continued push for on-device processing and semantic understanding of what you want…

(Edit: I know you shouldn’t need “pm” in 24 hour times but I was trying everything to make my phone understand what I wanted)

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Question Mark Mound posted:

Not sure how much faith I have in Apple’s continued push for on-device processing and semantic understanding of what you want…

I eventually turned my Siri suggestions off, since any I cared about were literally always wrong. Same way I send most of my texts via dictation on my watch, but I guess the I'm the neural net that has been trained to know when I need to type because some words and phrases just won't work.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Kerbtree posted:

Maybe if you compare it to the 12 or Pro models, but it's been great coming from an old 6S. So much so that I don't understand the criticism, but then again I haven't used the bigger models.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

(Edit: I know you shouldn’t need “pm” in 24 hour times but I was trying everything to make my phone understand what I wanted)

The 'pm' you've added to create '18:35pm today' is not unnecessary, but nonsense. You've described a time that does not exist. Your phone tries to convert that into a time that does exist: what would just over 18-and-a-half hours after noon today look like? That's 6:35 in the morning tomorrow.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

astral posted:

The 'pm' you've added to create '18:35pm today' is not unnecessary, but nonsense. You've described a time that does not exist. Your phone tries to convert that into a time that does exist: what would just over 18-and-a-half hours after noon today look like? That's 6:35 in the morning tomorrow.
It was suggesting 6:35am tomorrow when I just had "18:35 today" typed in (and "6:35 today"... and "6:35pm today") - I was trying any permutation to force it to select any other time but the one that was wrong in both day and time.

Edit: unambiguous time suggesting both the wrong day and time

Weirdly, though, "11:50 today" picks up as 23:50 today, so if I wanted to set up a reminder for tonight that's the only phrasing that would get it right without doing it manually.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 5, 2021

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

even if it is syntactically wrong, “18:35pm today” should 100% suggest 18:35 that day before it suggests 18 hours and 35 minutes in the future imo. i guess the one situation where i might not expect it is if the phone isn’t set to 24 hour time?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

It was suggesting 6:35am tomorrow when I just had "18:35 today" typed in (and "6:35 today"... and "6:35pm today") - I was trying any permutation to force it to select any other time but the one that was wrong in both day and time.

Weirdly, though, "11:50 today" picks up as 23:50 today, so if I wanted to set up a reminder for tonight that's the only phrasing that would get it right without doing it manually.

That sounds awful. I'd guess that its processing is erroneously assuming you are/everyone is using am/pm regardless of your phone's time settings, so saying 11:50 picked the next 11:50—11:50 PM. That also could explain why adding the 'pm' in your previous post ironically gave you the 'most correct' time out of the bunch so far.

What happens if you use 12-hour time (with am/pm) for the reminders? If my earlier guess was right, that should work as intended. Either way it's probably worth filing a bug report about the whole situation.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Honestly, every part of Reminders has been a mess since they upgrades the Reminders format in iOS 13 and there's been syncing and speed issues with the app on any device I've used ever since - even after several attempts with support, complete wipes without a restore and even new devices. The semantic text thing usually not working (until recently, it would use the entire auto-correct bar to suggest everything I type goes into my "Work" list) is just kinda the icing on the cake.

I love iOS mostly but man, Apple's services are bad.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Weedle posted:

If you pay for AppleCare water damage is covered under accidental damage. And yeah it’s worth it if you are going to take your phone with you during any water activity

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Kerbtree posted:

A bit less than the rest of the bigger phones currently sold (old and new) but better than the current SE, it's fine.

fourwood posted:

Haven’t they all been IP68 certified for a few years? But either way, yeah, I believe Apple explicitly does not warranty them against water damage regardless.

e: yeah IP68 since iPhone XS (and IP67 since iPhone 7)
Yeah they should be fine for stuff like the posted incident, but not covered cause water is a bitch and poo poo happens. Like some random little case/seal imperfection or damage could basically make that rating moot.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

I wonder if it’s because you’re putting the time you want in the text of the reminder instead of the little (i) thing? I think your end goal is to do “reminder to [buy buttplugs] at [1850]” in that dialog box but I think that phrasing isn’t what the app wants.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just bought a HomePod mini and I'm wondering once I set it up, if I try to use "hey Siri" will my phone, watch and iPad all also try to respond to the request? Is there a way to specify which device im talking to?

Since I'm here asking dumb questions, can I make it listen to multiple people?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Your Apple stuff does some internal testing to determine which microphone is closest to your mouth (or maybe more precisely, which one hears you best) and only takes the current command from that mic.

Like if I'm in my car and I got my hands on the wheel and call out to siri, the head unit responds. If I move my watch to my mouth it wakes up on my watch.

So no, you don't have to worry about every device in earshot running the same command.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks. For some reason, my watch and phone routinely listen simultaneously and sometimes start multiple timers and whatnot.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Not sure if this is useful to anyone else but I finally found a use for Shortcuts that I’ll use every day so thought I’d share it.

My lunch and evening walks are usually just me going off on a straight path and then stopping halfway between when I left and what time I needed to get back for and then turning back. So I’ve made a shortcut that lets me enter a time (e.g. whenever my lunch break ends) and it’ll calculate half the time difference between then and now and then set a timer, so I’ll get back on time assuming my walking pace stays the same both ways.

Edit: looking at it again, it’s better with “Show Alert” instead of a notification at the end so it doesn’t add a pointless notification but you still get the message.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 7, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I have a over a gig of "Messages" on iCloud. Is there a way I can dump a backup on PC, instead of it clogging up my limited iCloud space?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rinkles posted:

I have a over a gig of "Messages" on iCloud. Is there a way I can dump a backup on PC, instead of it clogging up my limited iCloud space?

There's 3rd party tools but they all look like spyware so I don't know any to recommend.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not sure about Windows, but there are tools for MacOS that let you export messages in a few different formats from a backup of your phone so I would imagine there’s an equivalent.

E: I thiiiiiink it was iMazing I used before and the website indicates a Windows version exists. I would dump my group texts each day so I could write them up for work off an XLS file rather than retype from my phone. A bit of a pain, but if you just want to do a one off dump it should be easy enough.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 8, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There are iMessage to PDF apps out there, but I think it requires using iTunes. I've never actually used one of them so you're on your own there.

That doesn't delete the messages from icloud either so you'd still have to delete the conversations on your phone to free up the space.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Something else to consider is just saving the attachments and deleting the messages. A lot of that space is probably taken up by videos and pictures.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

Something else to consider is just saving the attachments and deleting the messages. A lot of that space is probably taken up by videos and pictures.

right, but can you mass download those files?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Do you need to keep a gigs worth of imessage? I think I just set mine to auto delete after a certain age

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Probably not, it's more that there could be something in there I'm not thinking of atm, and a gig is a paltry amount in the PC space, but it's a big chunk of my iCloud drive.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s worth spending the dollar a month just to have iCloud breathing space if you have a few devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The gap between 2.99 for 200gb and 9.99 for 2TB pisses me off so much.