Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Is brushing teeth enough for dog dental care, or do you need to do more? Apollo's teeth aren't in bad shape but I'm having an anxiety over "what if I'm missing something and we have to remove his teeth!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is brushing teeth enough for dog dental care, or do you need to do more? Apollo's teeth aren't in bad shape but I'm having an anxiety over "what if I'm missing something and we have to remove his teeth!!!"

Don't borrow trouble, in my opinion. Brushing isn't going to be a perfect preventative, but anything more intrusive is almost certainly more trouble than it's worth. If a tooth gets infected or something, well, your dog will be able to survive without it. In the worst case, you have to transition them to wet food, and I very much doubt they'd mind that.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

We (located in Ontario) are looking to adopt a pair of rescue dogs, and while we have been able to check off almost all of the rescue organization's boxes, we are getting hung up because our back yard is not fully fenced in. We are scrambling to get a land surveyor, utility check, and fence installation, but I'm also wondering if it's common to require a fenced yard, or if this rescue is just really really picky. Any experience with this kind of thing, or advice on what we can do (other than get a fence built ASAP)?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Don't borrow trouble, in my opinion. Brushing isn't going to be a perfect preventative, but anything more intrusive is almost certainly more trouble than it's worth. If a tooth gets infected or something, well, your dog will be able to survive without it. In the worst case, you have to transition them to wet food, and I very much doubt they'd mind that.

Okay thank you for the hilarious mental image of Apollo's sheer JOY of having wet food. He loves kibble but wow he would love to have fancy food.

Thank you, this post has been reassuring and I'll keep brushing his teeth (once every few days, working on doing it more often but hey-ho e/n stuff). He is otherwise a perfectly happy, healthy dog and I love him.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Some is breed dependant, like having high prey or scent drive you really want a fence.

Otherwise approach the rescues that you are going to be getting a fence and that the dog will not be outside unless supervised and leashed.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Tayter Swift posted:

We're shelling out $4500 for a Cavalier :negative:

No this was not my vote, yes I am expected to chip in, why do you ask

Oh.... oh all right then :colbert:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Muscle Tracer posted:

We (located in Ontario) are looking to adopt a pair of rescue dogs, and while we have been able to check off almost all of the rescue organization's boxes, we are getting hung up because our back yard is not fully fenced in. We are scrambling to get a land surveyor, utility check, and fence installation, but I'm also wondering if it's common to require a fenced yard, or if this rescue is just really really picky. Any experience with this kind of thing, or advice on what we can do (other than get a fence built ASAP)?

Definitely a requirement for our local (UK) shelters, but as previously mentioned they seem pickier than north american ones.

One dog I looked at apparently had a history of jumping 6 foot fences and the rescue required 8+ft fences for him.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My brother's dog had a history of jumping/climbing over fences and my brother was a good match because he didn't even have a yard. Dog needs 4 walls and a roof.

If dog teeth are any like cat teeth, I imagine my doofus who spends his time panting and snoring is going to need his teeth professionally cleaned way more often than my floppy face hound dog.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I was taking my dog for a walk, and we encountered another dog (that we're well acquainted with). They sized each other up, preparatory for play bows / sniffing, then my dog barked once and started yelping in distress. To be clear, there was no contact between them, not even close.

He's walking OK, I don't see anything wrong with his paws. He's licked his butt a few times since we got come (we didn't finish the walk). He hasn't pooped yet today.

My best guess is that he's a bit constipated, and in the excitement from meeting the other dog, his bowels tried to push things along and it hurt? :shrug:

EDIT: he's spent pretty much all day either in his crate or hiding under my desk, rarely whining in pain. He did eat dinner, at least. I called the vet, and they said to keep an eye on him, and also that they're booked until July.

I was planning on taking him to the kennel on Wednesday so I could go on a (badly needed) vacation :(

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 20, 2021

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I adopted my pup back in January, y'all might remember she was very badly socialized and a rescue. Wasn't sure I was even going to adopt her because my initial meeting with her was just sitting there while she barked at me and freaked out the whole time.

She's doing real well now, so I just thought I'd come by to feelgud post about her.

This afternoon I didn't feel like taking her on a third walk but she was antsy so we went outside the apartment and sat on the steps for a good 30-40 minutes and I just let her say hi to people as they walked by. Only one person got some grumbles and barks (they were an older person who had a shuffling walk so she was a bit scared of them). Everybody else got greeted with happy puppy tail wags and sniffs.

She doesn't want strangers to touch her (until she sees them a few times and feels more comfortable), and will mostly just pull away if people try, so she's still a bit nervous. But she's friendly as hell and she definitely wants to meet everybody she sees. She's very comfortable with me so socializing is going well and she's a sweet girl.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Do any of you have any advice for how to deal with a picky eater? She's a corgi so I'm pretty sure appetite isn't a problem, but at breakfast particularly she'll just push her bowl around for a bit then ignore it. I only leave the food down for half an hour, so she pretty much always eats dinner fine.

Pretty sure she's just being picky because the one time we had to use a different food because we'd run out of her normal she scarfed it instantly, and the next morning when we had the regular back she scarfed it too. Is keeping multiple varieties of food on hand to keep the dog interested a thing ppl do or is that just asking for trouble?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Stringent posted:

Do any of you have any advice for how to deal with a picky eater? She's a corgi so I'm pretty sure appetite isn't a problem, but at breakfast particularly she'll just push her bowl around for a bit then ignore it. I only leave the food down for half an hour, so she pretty much always eats dinner fine.

Pretty sure she's just being picky because the one time we had to use a different food because we'd run out of her normal she scarfed it instantly, and the next morning when we had the regular back she scarfed it too. Is keeping multiple varieties of food on hand to keep the dog interested a thing ppl do or is that just asking for trouble?

Age, history with food, pertinent medical issues; give us stuff like that. check her gums, check her refill rate (poke her gum real gentle and see how long it takes for it to go from white to pink). any increase in urination or defecation? any discomfort or tenseness if you run your hands under her belly/does it feel tight or along her back? any sewer breath? teeth in good shape? no nasal discharge?

you didn't give us anything to work with so I'm just gonna run the whole dang gamut here. corgis can be picky but picky eating is usually actually a different issue and corgis have a lot of joint/back issues that may be making her uncomfortable. could also be the position of the bowl, too, if she's already uncomfortable. have you tried different heights? is her water bowl at the same level? if so, does she seem hesitant to use it?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Age, history with food, pertinent medical issues; give us stuff like that. check her gums, check her refill rate (poke her gum real gentle and see how long it takes for it to go from white to pink). any increase in urination or defecation? any discomfort or tenseness if you run your hands under her belly/does it feel tight or along her back? any sewer breath? teeth in good shape? no nasal discharge?

you didn't give us anything to work with so I'm just gonna run the whole dang gamut here. corgis can be picky but picky eating is usually actually a different issue and corgis have a lot of joint/back issues that may be making her uncomfortable. could also be the position of the bowl, too, if she's already uncomfortable. have you tried different heights? is her water bowl at the same level? if so, does she seem hesitant to use it?

Sorry yeah I wasn't sure what all to include. She's 15 months old, no medical history to speak of, teeth are fine (she visited the vet two weeks ago), no health problems otherwise.

Food and water bowls right next to each other same places they've always been. No issues drinking from the water bowl, isn't picky about eating at all when she's hungry. From what I've read it seems like the genesis of the problem might have been that we were feeding her at the same time the family ate? Never gave her anything until she'd eaten her food, but I do give her bits of vegetables for down staying while we eat. I'll usually save a tiny bit of meat for her when we finish eating. A month ago I shifted her feeding times to be independent of ours. This worked for the first week, but after that she's gone back to being picky, especially at breakfast time. Dinner she usually eats no problem. Tried shifting her breakfast time to after her morning walk, but that made things worse as she just passes out when she gets back from that. Hmm, can't think of anything else offhand.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Stringent posted:

Sorry yeah I wasn't sure what all to include. She's 15 months old, no medical history to speak of, teeth are fine (she visited the vet two weeks ago), no health problems otherwise.

Food and water bowls right next to each other same places they've always been. No issues drinking from the water bowl, isn't picky about eating at all when she's hungry. From what I've read it seems like the genesis of the problem might have been that we were feeding her at the same time the family ate? Never gave her anything until she'd eaten her food, but I do give her bits of vegetables for down staying while we eat. I'll usually save a tiny bit of meat for her when we finish eating. A month ago I shifted her feeding times to be independent of ours. This worked for the first week, but after that she's gone back to being picky, especially at breakfast time. Dinner she usually eats no problem. Tried shifting her breakfast time to after her morning walk, but that made things worse as she just passes out when she gets back from that. Hmm, can't think of anything else offhand.

She might just want a single meal. Some dogs do that around that age (and sometimes they switch back, etc).

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

She might just want a single meal. Some dogs do that around that age (and sometimes they switch back, etc).

I'll give that a go. The biggest problem thus far has been how hellishly hungry she gets when she wakes up in the afternoon, so would feeding her around 3:30pm right before I take her for her evening walk be a reasonable plan?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Stringent posted:

I'll give that a go. The biggest problem thus far has been how hellishly hungry she gets when she wakes up in the afternoon, so would feeding her around 3:30pm right before I take her for her evening walk be a reasonable plan?

I'm a giant breed owner so I space an hour between meals and exercise due to bloat being so prevalent throughout Danes, but I don't believe it's such a big issue in corgis. It sounds pretty reasonable to me, though I'd probably let her have a little rest before walk times.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm a giant breed owner so I space an hour between meals and exercise due to bloat being so prevalent throughout Danes, but I don't believe it's such a big issue in corgis. It sounds pretty reasonable to me, though I'd probably let her have a little rest before walk times.

Check, thanks a lot!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

My dog has been coughing / choking and throwing up for the last 12 hours or so. He has good appetite and attitude still. Vomit is usually foamy / white with only a couple kibbles in it, seems like it's not full stomach contents. He'll have a coughing / vomit episode every 5-10 minutes or so. He's usually not one to eat random stuff and since he still has good appetite for food I don't think it's anything stuck in his intestine, which happened to my cat some years ago.

Vids: http://imgur.com/a/LzypUAc

Kennel cough? Something more serious? It's a holiday so only the emergency vet is open but I mean, that's fine if I need to take him in today.

Thanks!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

My dog has been coughing / choking and throwing up for the last 12 hours or so. He has good appetite and attitude still. Vomit is usually foamy / white with only a couple kibbles in it, seems like it's not full stomach contents. He'll have a coughing / vomit episode every 5-10 minutes or so. He's usually not one to eat random stuff and since he still has good appetite for food I don't think it's anything stuck in his intestine, which happened to my cat some years ago.

Vids: http://imgur.com/a/LzypUAc

Kennel cough? Something more serious? It's a holiday so only the emergency vet is open but I mean, that's fine if I need to take him in today.

Thanks!

That could be an irritated throat, bloat, or about 10 other things. That's not something you wait 12 hours for, my bro.

E: Go to the e-vet 12 hours ago.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 4, 2021

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Unproductive vomiting every 5-10 minutes for 12 hours definitely needs to see a vet asap. It could be nothing, it could be something seriously wrong, no one here can tell you but that's something I would see an e vet for.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Alright, thanks. Turns out there's no true emergency clinic in this city so I left a message on my vet's emergency line, hoping for a callback soon. Other vets I called, their messages said only call their emergency line if you're an established patient 😐

If I don't hear from my vet in the next 30 mins I'll try an e-vet. Any specific recommendations?

E: looks like e-vets can't prescribe and obviously can't do lab work or anything. Seems like I'd be paying them $35 to tell me to go to my vet?

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 4, 2021

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I don't know your location but emergency vets should be regular vets with all the normal vet equipment and abilities (but charge you more because it's an emergency). If you want to give your general location I can look around for you.

Edit: I snooped in your post history. It looks like this place does emergencies. If you don't hear from your vet soon or he starts getting worse I'd consider driving to Albaquerque because there are a couple of e vets there.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 4, 2021

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I got in to see my vet. Diagnosed kennel cough, prescribed antibiotics, steroids, cough suppressant. She said it'll take a couple of days for the antibiotics to really kick in so I guess we'll just be chilling in the backyard for now. Thanks all!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

regulargonzalez posted:

I got in to see my vet. Diagnosed kennel cough, prescribed antibiotics, steroids, cough suppressant. She said it'll take a couple of days for the antibiotics to really kick in so I guess we'll just be chilling in the backyard for now. Thanks all!

Glad that's all it was and I hope your bud is feeling better soon!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks! He's such a good boy and has probably ruined me for any other dog ever. Super smart + eager to please pit-lab.

Here he is taking some me-time
http://imgur.com/a/VgNSeDS

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
I live in Houston and am trying to get my hands on a poodle, but the cheapest breeder I've found yet wants $2800(!). Even the sketchy looking online dog shopping places have puppies starting at 3 grand. Last time I looked at getting a purebred dog they were all around the $1500 mark, though that was years ago admittedly.

Is this just what dogs cost now or has COVID driven the market crazy?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Covid has driven the market crazy. We just paid $4500 for a Cav King Charles and I hear they're going for $5500 in spots.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Dog prices in general have gone way up and doodle breeders have been buying up poodles like crazy so their prices are going to be extra high.

Poodle Rescue of Houston seems to have some available dogs and reasonable fees and I bet if you lurk your local pet rehoming group people are going to be wanting to rehome all manner of COVID poodles and doodles that are hitting a year old and becoming obnoxious teens soon.

If you are wanting to support a good breeder (which is great!) the poodle club of America has a breeder referral program to make sure you're getting a puppy with all the health testing if you're dropping that much on one. Also be aware that you may have to do some traveling. I drove from OH to OK to get my puppy last year and she was totally worth it.

Edit: I know cost needs to be a factor because we're all poor as poo poo but try not to base your decision on what breeder is cheapest. Poodles can have a lot of health issues and I've seen some with some real sketchy temperaments so paying a bit more upfront is going to be worth it if they don't need a ton of vet or behaviorist care over their lives.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I got a 9 month old dog from a shelter. First dog but I fostered for about a year with different breeds and ages. I was going in hoping for older than a year and male but she was the most compatible with my roommates dog, and probably the most ideal for a first timer. She hasn't quite figured out peeing outside. I've seen between advice on whether you should take them out 15 min at a time and remove if they don't go OR stay outside until it happens?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Dog prices in general have gone way up and doodle breeders have been buying up poodles like crazy so their prices are going to be extra high.

Poodle Rescue of Houston seems to have some available dogs and reasonable fees and I bet if you lurk your local pet rehoming group people are going to be wanting to rehome all manner of COVID poodles and doodles that are hitting a year old and becoming obnoxious teens soon.

If you are wanting to support a good breeder (which is great!) the poodle club of America has a breeder referral program to make sure you're getting a puppy with all the health testing if you're dropping that much on one. Also be aware that you may have to do some traveling. I drove from OH to OK to get my puppy last year and she was totally worth it.

Edit: I know cost needs to be a factor because we're all poor as poo poo but try not to base your decision on what breeder is cheapest. Poodles can have a lot of health issues and I've seen some with some real sketchy temperaments so paying a bit more upfront is going to be worth it if they don't need a ton of vet or behaviorist care over their lives.

Also many reputable breeders will give you a support network and will actually care about what happens with the dogs. This is especially handy when you have 'special needs' dogs like Great Danes.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Also many reputable breeders will give you a support network and will actually care about what happens with the dogs. This is especially handy when you have 'special needs' dogs like Great Danes.

Also also with a poodle a good breeder will have been getting the puppies desensitized to all the grooming they're going to need. A friend of mine bred a litter of "pyrdoodles" and didn't do any grooming socialization beyond giving them a couple of baths and surprise they're all huge and hate getting brushed now. A good poodle breeder will work with the puppies to make sure they're comfortable around clippers/dryers/dremels etc so your groomer won't hate you.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

We got almost daily updates and videos after Jarvis was born until we brought him home. Everything about his personality, his preferences. Getting brushed after baths, etc. His breeder was fantastic. She loves working with the puppies and even has them pretty close to house and crate trained by the time she sends them home.

She just had a litter of toy cavapoos, and I'm glad they're all spoken for, otherwise I'd have to be fending off the wife constantly. We do get to meet them at the end of the month, though, as Jarvis is boarding there while we're on vacation.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I considered going the adopt a young adult route but honestly am not up for dealing with whatever neuroses the previous owners gave them. I've already got a cat that absolutely loves snuggling plates of human food. And - it's not really the cost, it's more the "i have bought running cars for less than that" factor. Although COVID ruined that market too.

Looking at some of these marketplaces though I might just say gently caress it and get a -doodle, at least they seem to be available.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Just make sure they are also doing health testing and early socialization. Just being a doodle doesn't make you immune from health issues or neuroses!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I have an old dog poop question!

Our 14 year old good boy (chihuahua), who previously had only had indoor accidents like four times in his entire life, has now pooped on the floor almost every night for the last 5 nights.

The first few times it was diarrhea, so we assumed it was just digestive problems, and fed him rice. But now he's doing healthy poops on the floor. He sneaks out of bed around 3-4am while we're asleep to do butt crimes, like clockwork.

I'm wondering: is this senile behavior (he already exhibits other senile behaviors like going to the wrong side of a closed door, and pacing at night) or could it be something else?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
This is the same thing that happened with my elderly dog. At some point he just couldn't hold it all night anymore, so he started having accidents every now and then. He'd been flawless about going outside his entire life before he got old.

The vet said it wasn't a particularly abnormal or worrisome thing for a dog that old.

Since yours had diarrhea, you may want to check with your vet just to be safe, but I wouldn't worry too much.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

WhiteHowler posted:

This is the same thing that happened with my elderly dog. At some point he just couldn't hold it all night anymore, so he started having accidents every now and then. He'd been flawless about going outside his entire life before he got old.

The vet said it wasn't a particularly abnormal or worrisome thing for a dog that old.

Since yours had diarrhea, you may want to check with your vet just to be safe, but I wouldn't worry too much.

Thanks for the info. Were you able to train him with a pad or anything to help? It's strange that this started happening nightly, all at once, so I wonder if the original diarrhea was due to sickness, but it gave him "permission" in his mind to relieve himself inside at night.

We fortunately have a doggy door, but it's a screen door so there's a security risk... will have to talk to the wife and weigh the pros/cons of giving him yard access all night.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Most pet pads (and their holders) have dog attractant scent in them to bring them to the pad. If he's ambulatory, put the pad where he's been pooping. he'll get the idea.

KD, my dog who went from being okay to dead in 22 days from kidney failure diagnosis, used her pad a couple of times when she felt like it. It was a great part of KD Kastle.

Moo, the 97,000 year old dane, thinks they're stupid and, when able to walk, would rather go piss in the hallway because that's more fun, I guess.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

smoobles posted:

Thanks for the info. Were you able to train him with a pad or anything to help? It's strange that this started happening nightly, all at once, so I wonder if the original diarrhea was due to sickness, but it gave him "permission" in his mind to relieve himself inside at night.

We fortunately have a doggy door, but it's a screen door so there's a security risk... will have to talk to the wife and weigh the pros/cons of giving him yard access all night.
We didn't bother with a pad. He was mostly blind and partially deaf by that point, and he was polite enough to go on the tile floor (right near the back door, so he was at least conscious that he needed to go out). So we just got very good at cleaning, mopping, and sanitizing at 7am. It wasn't every night, just once or twice a week at most.

A few weeks before he passed away it got much more frequent, and occasionally it would be on the carpet, too. I think he just couldn't control it anymore, and his legs were failing him too. We started putting him in his crate at night, and he'd go in there if he needed to. Not super pleasant for him, probably, but it was a huge crate, and he could lay on the other side and be poop-free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Trupanion is cranking up our monthly rates by 25%. That's a 250% increase in 7 years.
Just got off the phone with a lady saying that 'the data showed', but refused to share said data.
Petplusus is offering $150/month (vs $250) and I'm tempted to eat up the pre-existing conditions and swap.