Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Karnage
Oct 9, 2016

xzzy posted:

Where's my SeaDuck model, lego??

The Iron Vulture would also make an excellent set, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Anias posted:

Get yourself a small set of lego creator, and then just make a pyramid, a ball, a cube, then a hollow pyramid, ball, cube. Make those same 3 forms in different sizes. Make them on top of each other. Make them next to each other. Make them inside each other. Make sure you're having fun, and you're thinking of this as "I wonder what I can do next" and not "now the list says to do z". Attitude matters a lot for getting your brain to make new connections.

This exercise, sometimes called "playing with forms" comes up in various ways in regular art classes, and is about learning what your media can do and training your eye to see forms instead of just shapes. The next step is to pick something real, that you own, and then sitting down to make a form-based-moc of it. The next step would be to pick -part- of the real thing and build that part out in detailed forms.

You can learn in other ways, and I'm sure people will suggest other ways, but this way is very translatable to different media and I think it's loose enough that it is the closest adults are going to come to the young kid doing it for the first time.

Imagine four Lego balls on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is rebuilt and moved to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff. Getting good at Lego works the same way.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Cloks posted:

This is a really broad question, but for people who do a lot of free building, how did you improve?

Is it just a matter of picking things to build and working on representing it in Lego?

I'd really like to be able to build some of the stuff i see in this thread but i have no idea where I'd even start with MOCs.

Nthing familiarity with the different pieces. There's been a renaissance since I was a kid so that was a real eye-opener when I started buying newer sets- the build complexity is more advanced and the range of parts is so wide that you can do pretty much anything now. When you get a sense of what is available, you start to think "this piece would be great for building x"

It also helps being exposed to some really gifted MOC builders (not least the OP of this thread)- seeing other people's finished work (or even just stud.io builds) gives you a sense of what is possible, and again, knowing what pieces they used gives you an idea of how it all comes together.

What are you wanting to build?

xzzy posted:

Either get an idea and hack at it until you figure it out, or take technique inspiration from official sets and go wild with it.

Microscale stuff is harder because it requires a lot more familiarity with tricks to get weird angles and small details but if you look at enough people's work you'll start to figure it out.

Microscale is my favourite to work in as of late. You get really creative to produce convincing and recognizable details, and with a relative economy of (specific, hand-selected) pieces. What is it about tiny representations of cities and towns that is just so darn neat?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

What are you wanting to build?

That is a great question - I think my dream build is microscale scenes from movies, I've wanted to build an LOTR chronology with all the minifigures for a while. Really though, I'd like to feel that I have more familiarity with LEGO beyond building sets because whenever I get complimented for LEGO I feel like I'm just following instructions and it's not impressive.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Other posted:

Sure, what made Benatar a no-no word in the time since Infinity War?

Probably someone's lawyer got around to suggesting that selling products named after a public figure without that public figure's approval was a bad idea.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't actually bought a NEW Lego set in over a decade but I would absolutely buy a good Sea Duck / Higher for Hire

Joke answer UCS modular Xanatos building with Castle Wyvern

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Don Karnage posted:

The Iron Vulture would also make an excellent set, imo.

When I was a kid, and didn’t have many pieces or much skill with them, I would stick every propeller I had on a pair of wings to make the Iron Vulture. I also used a corner angle plate as Kit Cloudkicker’s little sky surfing board.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Cloks posted:

That is a great question - I think my dream build is microscale scenes from movies, I've wanted to build an LOTR chronology with all the minifigures for a while. Really though, I'd like to feel that I have more familiarity with LEGO beyond building sets because whenever I get complimented for LEGO I feel like I'm just following instructions and it's not impressive.

I wish more people had that kind of attitude. It's something I find quite frustrating with my local AFOL scene - there's way too many people who display at shows with just a table full of random sets and call it a day. Boring, lazy and repetitive IMO. It's something my LUG is struggling with at the moment - how to get people to put more effort into displays without discouraging newbies. Everyone had to start somewhere after all.

Anyway, to answer your original question:

First of all, making MOCs is a skill like any other - the only way to get good is to put the time and effort in. I think everyone kind of develops their own way of doing things over time and it's pretty organic.

As others have said, getting familiar with different parts and how they can fit together is really fundamental. Have a play with a pile of parts and make some funky shapes, or find some sets or MOCs with interesting shapes/parts and see how they're put together. That's definitely easier with sets since Lego puts all the instructions on their website for free (for modern sets anyway, their website is pretty poo poo for old sets).

I'd also suggest learning a bit about Lego geometry and the possibilities and implications that arise. A 1x1 Lego brick is 6 units high by 5 units wide. A plate is one third of a brick and hence 2 units. The vertical part of most brackets is 1 unit wide. Therefore, two plates attached to a bracket is 5 units wide and the same width as a brick. That kind of thing. There's all sorts of interesting shapes and angles possible if you're willing to experiment.

I often start with not much more than a vague idea about what I want to build. I'll often pick out a few parts I'd like to use and lay them out where I want to use them, then kind of start building up from there. It's a gradual process and there'll usually be a few passes for adding/modifying design elements and detail. I don't know much about the specifics of microscale building but I'm sure the same general process is a good start.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I'd also suggest learning a bit about Lego geometry and the possibilities and implications that arise. A 1x1 Lego brick is 6 units high by 5 units wide. A plate is one third of a brick and hence 2 units. The vertical part of most brackets is 1 unit wide. Therefore, two plates attached to a bracket is 5 units wide and the same width as a brick. That kind of thing. There's all sorts of interesting shapes and angles possible if you're willing to experiment.

I printed this Lego building technique guide out as a kid and still refer to it every now and again. A lot of new bricks have been designed since this thing was made, but the geometry is sound.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Cool, I've bought a lot of "box of bricks" sets for my wife to use at her job, I'm excited to open one of those and dig into it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

gtrmp posted:

Probably someone's lawyer got around to suggesting that selling products named after a public figure without that public figure's approval was a bad idea.

at least trent was cool

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Once you have a good knowledge of the pieces that exist I'd suggest learning stud.io. It'll save you money when you want to order the pieces. Carbohydrates streams are good demonstrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mameluke posted:

I printed this Lego building technique guide out as a kid and still refer to it every now and again. A lot of new bricks have been designed since this thing was made, but the geometry is sound.

This document is blowing my mind. Thank you for sharing that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Pictures of the Seinfeld set are out there. Golden Girls definitely needs another crack on Ideas, it would breeze through approval now. :argh:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

xzzy posted:

6356 Med-Star Rescue Plane

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201665358484

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh weird, they went for the TV set angle rather than treating it like a real apartment. I'd definitely be immersing myself, personally

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why did they include the studio lights?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
They did the same thing with the Friends set. Because it's the "Seinfeld/Friends set", get it?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I assume it’s closely matching the ideas model

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
There's a leaked $30 Lego Mandalorian Forge set that looks pretty cool, comes with Mando, Armorer and Paz Vizsla (the chonky Mandalorian played by Favreau) minigfigures and a nice looking build

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I got and built the probe droid; cool little build, looks great, and it's nice to have a Star Wars set that isn't a wall of light grey. A lot of neat techniques to get the unique shape of it down. I somehow ended up with one extra grey round piece from the top section (in addition to the usual extras, I mean), which is driving me mildly crazy.

Brawnfire posted:

Oh weird, they went for the TV set angle rather than treating it like a real apartment. I'd definitely be immersing myself, personally
Even including the impossible hallway!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Set looks decent, but I’ll probably just BrickLink the Costanza minifig.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
...festivus pole.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Lord Hydronium posted:

I got and built the probe droid; cool little build, looks great, and it's nice to have a Star Wars set that isn't a wall of light grey. A lot of neat techniques to get the unique shape of it down. I somehow ended up with one extra grey round piece from the top section (in addition to the usual extras, I mean), which is driving me mildly crazy.

Even including the impossible hallway!

Oh boy, I hope someone got fired over that blunder.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Oh boy, I hope someone got fired over that blunder.

Sorry you quoted the wrong 90's show that overstayed its welcome, this is a Seinfeld thread now.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

xzzy posted:

Sorry you quoted the wrong 90's show that overstayed its welcome, this is a Seinfeld thread now.

Uh excuse me I believe you mean 80s show that overstayed its welcome, thank you

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

...festivus pole.

...get OUT!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
It should have a play feature that's Kramer bursting through the door.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
You gotta help me offload these bricks, Jerry! The investors, they won't touch 'em! Something about the studs not having the right stamps, they're saying they're knockoffs! like I'm supposed to examine all 4,241 pieces?
*elaine picks up a box and squints* "...Lepin." *audience laughing*
Jerry: Kramer, did you get these from that Chinatown market I warned you about? These aren't even official!
*kramer, fumbling comically* Newman said it was in Danish!

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Electromax posted:

You gotta help me offload these bricks, Jerry! The investors, they won't touch 'em! Something about the studs not having the right stamps, they're saying they're knockoffs! like I'm supposed to examine all 4,241 pieces?
*elaine picks up a box and squints* "...Lepin." *audience laughing*
Jerry: Kramer, did you get these from that Chinatown market I warned you about? These aren't even official!
*kramer, fumbling comically* Newman said it was in Danish!

:five:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

How do you like the Lego bricks, Jerry? Or should I say… Lepin bricks? That’s right, I know all about it. I sent Kramer on that wild goose chase so I could go after the real prize: the Daily Planet UCS. I deployed my army of scalper bots to buy up the entire production run the instant it was released. You’ll never get one for MSRP, no matter how hard you beg! Hahahaha!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

is there any place one could order custom minifigs from?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wresting a mint condition king's castle out of an old lady's hands and booking it down the street

Don Karnage
Oct 9, 2016

xzzy posted:

Switch out some white and blue parts for yellow and red and I think we've got it here:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/island-adventures-31064?CMP=AFC-AffiliateUS-msYS1Nvjv4c-3624890-115554-1

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
No GWP for you!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

The Voice of Labor posted:

Custom how? Using official Lego prints and pieces, Bricklink is probably best. Custom prints, you'd probably want to hit up a store like Million Prints . Custom pieces is probably gonna be harder to source unless someone's already done the piece or it'll work 3d printed..

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

The Voice of Labor posted:

The licensed NBA players likenesses are a source for some unique faces: https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?catType=M&catString=473 (pages 1 & 2) perhaps not what you're after, but I feel these frankly unnerving faces are too often overlooked.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MaliciousOnion posted:

No GWP for you!

Lego Master of my domain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"Is Kramer here? I took one of those lego sets Kramer had to try to smooth things over with Mr. Steinbrenner. He gave the set to his grandson who noticed it was a fake. Steinbrenner's son called him a cheapskate and it's all going come back to me. George is done for, Jerry!"