Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The alien blaster. So things are gonna look like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

that looks dope i love how it looks rusty and old and then the bright electric wires contrast to make it look old and futuristic at the same time, wicked cool

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Thank you!

Here are the weapons the kids make to fight the aliens.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i hope theres some Fulci's Zombi-esque eye trauma with that screwdriver-weapon!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe! But it won’t be a human’s eye lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Or some Luis Bunuel poo poo.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Neat props CP! That gun gives me some low key eXistenz vibes. I love me a good organic looking weapon.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I think I sincerely do not want any levity in an alien abduction film. I want misery and horror that never lets up and ends on a downer note.

I love greys they’re so spooky

:same: at least when we're doing alien horror and not alien action or comedy, obvs

For me, the scariness of sentient aliens (so, smarter and more self-guided than xenomorphs, by my metric) is that they obliterate any readable assumptions about the social, cultural, and evolutionary mechanisms we've spent tens of thousands of years honing for the sake of security and predictability. You simply cannot know how they see you, what they want from you, or if there's anything you can do to appease them or even make a plea to be seen as a thinking creature whose life and desires have value.

It's somewhat adjacent to medical horror, where your bodily agency is stolen from you and you are at the mercy of terrifying and ineffable procedures (thus also touching on body horror), and demonic horror, where you are trying to navigate the desires vastly more powerful entities whose motivations you cannot know or trust. It then also orbits madness horror/isolation horror, where you desperately need comfort and help from someone who believes you, but no one will.

One minute you're at home with your family, laughing about domestic bullshit, next minute the house is filled with blinding, painful light. You can't move. Expressionless, inhuman creatures casually walk up to you and your partner, but the light and immobility means you can barely visually resolve them. They touch something to your partner's head and the person you love drops like a calf that was hit with a butchering spike. You beg them to tell you what they want from you; if they hear your words as anything more than fearful bleating, they give no indication. You black out.

You hazily lift your head in a confusing and threatening room. You're stuck to the... ceiling? Somehow? There are tubes and shapes connected to your torso. You can't feel your body. Wait. No. Those aren't tubes; all of your organs have been surgically unfolded from your chest and stomach. They're draped over devices you can't understand. You have been cut open and splayed out like a dissected frog. The creatures are doing things to the inside parts of you and you can't tell what. You can't feel, oh god, why can't you feel your body? No, no, no they see you're awake. Please be a dream. Please be a dream. Please be a

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Chris James 2 posted:

A24 acquired the rights to Lamb, which premieres at Cannes

It looks, predictably, loving awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uX4OshOss0

Just had a meeting a couple of days ago with Sjón who wrote the script for this to discuss and get advice for the feature script I've been working on (essentially 17th century Predator). One of the pieces of advice he gave me was "Show the creature as little as possible if at all because having a creature in the first place is going to triple the budget likeit did for us on Lamb."

CelticPredator posted:

The alien blaster. So things are gonna look like this

This is a really rad blaster. Got a real "Used Future" quality to it.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 6, 2021

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

FreudianSlippers posted:

One of the pieces of advice he gave me was "Show the creature as little as possible if at all because having a creature in the first place is going to triple the budget likeit did for us on Lamb."

If only he'd learned from Val Lewton.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The Lamb trailer is not exactly helping A24 prove its not turning into a parody of itself. A24 horror movies can be great but they need to diversify and branch out more. Getting too same-ey, even if the plots are wildly different the movies always somehow turn out the same.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Watched Mulberry Street again and drat forgot how good it is. The lead up on it is so solid.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Funnily enough he specifically mentioned Cat People and Night of the Demon (Not Lewton I know) as perfect examples of pulling this off.

Then we spent a few minutes on a tangent talking about M.R. James.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

The Lamb trailer is not exactly helping A24 prove its not turning into a parody of itself. A24 horror movies can be great but they need to diversify and branch out more. Getting too same-ey, even if the plots are wildly different the movies always somehow turn out the same.

maybe it's just A24's horror stuff running the risk of becoming a bit stale. Minari and Zola both present pretty different stories and were great and i hope The Green Knight is a different vibe again as well. but i do agree the "very serious thematically artful elevated horror" sort of vibes are starting to have diminishing returns for me

FreudianSlippers posted:

Just had a meeting a couple of days ago with Sjón who wrote the script for this to discuss and get advice for the feature script I've been working on (essentially 17th century Predator). One of the pieces of advice he gave me was "Show the creature as little as possible if at all because having a creature in the first place is going to triple the budget likeit did for us on Lamb."

this is why i like The Void and Psycho Goreman: every dollar seems to go into those creatures and they skimp on everything else.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It is funny when you actually take a glance at their horror put out, it's more diverse than it feels. I forgot they put out Tusk.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

SlimGoodbody posted:

One minute you're at home with your family, laughing about domestic bullshit, next minute the house is filled with blinding, painful light. You can't move. Expressionless, inhuman creatures casually walk up to you and your partner, but the light and immobility means you can barely visually resolve them. They touch something to your partner's head and the person you love drops like a calf that was hit with a butchering spike. You beg them to tell you what they want from you; if they hear your words as anything more than fearful bleating, they give no indication. You black out.

You hazily lift your head in a confusing and threatening room. You're stuck to the... ceiling? Somehow? There are tubes and shapes connected to your torso. You can't feel your body. Wait. No. Those aren't tubes; all of your organs have been surgically unfolded from your chest and stomach. They're draped over devices you can't understand. You have been cut open and splayed out like a dissected frog. The creatures are doing things to the inside parts of you and you can't tell what. You can't feel, oh god, why can't you feel your body? No, no, no they see you're awake. Please be a dream. Please be a dream. Please be a

Hell yeah I'm gonna have some awesome nightmares tonight

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

maybe it's just A24's horror stuff running the risk of becoming a bit stale. Minari and Zola both present pretty different stories and were great and i hope The Green Knight is a different vibe again as well. but i do agree the "very serious thematically artful elevated horror" sort of vibes are starting to have diminishing returns for me

Yeah I shouldve been more clear I was just refering to their horror output, their non-horror movies don't suffer the same problem at all theyve put out a ton of amazing stuff

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Oh, while we're on alien horror, The Hidden!

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Chris James 2 posted:

A24 acquired the rights to Lamb, which premieres at Cannes

It looks, predictably, loving awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uX4OshOss0

:stare:

I’m sold.

This also reminds me of Antlers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng5eyOfL8qM

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Late to the alien chat but I just watched 1999’s Virus. It’s prolly best well known for Jamie Lee Curtis’ public hatred towards it, calling it her worst film. It’s cheesy, the dialogue is bad, Donald Sutherland has a completely indiscernible accent but it’s kinda also great. It’s like a strangely well-budgeted B-movie, it even has a Baldwin (not the famous one)!

But it has this alien hybrid human-machine..
..borg meets cenobite gimmick that was really, really cool. I mean look at this poo poo

Worth watching for that stuff alone.

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

I'm saddened to have missed my first live meltdown in a thread I've begun to care about, but oh well, better luck next time I guess.

I saw you all posting alien movies and I don't believe I noticed Dark Skies listed, so I have to throw that in to the ring. Also Horse Girl, Horse Girl times a hundred.

Seems there was a also a best of the last 5 years or so wrap-up, so let me check my letterboxd and try to throw some in that I didn't see whilst skimming:
(in no particular order)
Terrifier
Hagazussa (TW for pretty rough hard to watch rape scene and basically molestation too)
Haunt (2019)
Autopsy of Jane Doe
Terrified (2017) (Spanish language, but don't pass it up)
The Dark and the Wicked
Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum (might be divisive but I liked it a lot)
Baskin (2015) (TW for pretty intense sexual stuff, might be nonconsensual, I don't recall, at the end. Also a pretty othering / disrespectful transphobic joke told in the beginning )
A Dark Song
Mandy
Anything for Jackson
The Lodge
Tumbbad
Impetigore
Hell House LLC (low budget shlock, if you like the sound of haunted house found footage you'll like this)
The Houses October Built
Southbound
Antrum (it really gave me the creeps but I've heard people really loathing it for being dull and predictable, so grain of salt)
Black Mountain Side (B movie Lovecraftian fun)
The Void
Possum (TW for themes of (mostly allusions to) child abuse / pedophilia )
Deerskin (if you can keep an open mind and just enjoy how bizarre it all is)

If I had to only recommend three I'd say Haunt, Autopsy of Jane Doe, and Terrifier. Again in no particular order.

Tonight I'm watching We Are Still Here, something I thought I'd seen before but apparently hadn't. I'm also working through the Masters of Horror collection after someone, I think ITT, maybe not, recommended Cigarette Burns by John Carpenter, in the series -- which is phenomenal and I have to recommend as well.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would not recommend horse girl.

I want nasty rear end Grey Aliens ripping people apart for no reason that we can understand

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

That’s why fire works for me. It’s a pretty dull almost TV movie level film that slowly moves through these characters and then BOOM.

Like that abduction scene is wild. There hasn’t been anything like that done in any film I’ve ever seen. It’s scary, intense, disgusting, and inventive.

Contrast that with the rest of the film I think that’s pretty amazing.

The scene is really great, and I do love how the ship and the aliens are depicted in it. I just don't think the rest of the movie really works for me. I get what they were doing, and I usually like juxtaposition like that, but the rest of the movie is just so goddamn dull. If they had a good drama and plopped the abduction footage into it, I'd be all over it, but the way it is, I'd rather just watch the scene as a clip and dream of the film that could have been made with it instead of the one we got. Maybe you'll be the one who does it!

Also, I just watched Broil on Prime. It was not at all what I was expecting. I'm not sure it's a great film exactly, but it was interesting, went all-in on what it was doing, and certainly went places. I watch so much horror, and a lot of it turns out pretty forgettable in the longer term, but this one was at least doing something I don't see constantly, and I kinda dug it. Anyone else see this one yet?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Snuff Melange posted:

Baskin (2015) (TW for pretty intense sexual stuff, might be nonconsensual, I don't recall, at the end. Also a pretty othering / disrespectful transphobic joke told in the beginning )

It was

Did anyone see his movie about the kids with the missing features?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmdYO5bec2w

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
drat it, Kvlt!, now I genuinely want an R.Zombie-d TMNT. Buncha literally slimy, Rat Fink-styled scuzzballs. Hillbilly ninjas by way of the NYC sewer systems. No TV in their upbringing except what they’ve spied on people watching.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Snuff Melange posted:

I'm saddened to have missed my first live meltdown in a thread I've begun to care about, but oh well, better luck next time I guess.

I saw you all posting alien movies and I don't believe I noticed Dark Skies listed, so I have to throw that in to the ring. Also Horse Girl, Horse Girl times a hundred.

Seems there was a also a best of the last 5 years or so wrap-up, so let me check my letterboxd and try to throw some in that I didn't see whilst skimming:
(in no particular order)
Terrifier
Hagazussa (TW for pretty rough hard to watch rape scene and basically molestation too)
Haunt (2019)
Autopsy of Jane Doe
Terrified (2017) (Spanish language, but don't pass it up)
The Dark and the Wicked
Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum (might be divisive but I liked it a lot)
A Dark Song
Mandy
Anything for Jackson
The Lodge
Tumbbad
Impetigore
Hell House LLC (low budget shlock, if you like the sound of haunted house found footage you'll like this)
The Houses October Built
Southbound
Antrum (it really gave me the creeps but I've heard people really loathing it for being dull and predictable, so grain of salt)
Black Mountain Side (B movie Lovecraftian fun)
The Void
Possum (TW for themes of (mostly allusions to) child abuse / pedophilia )
Deerskin (if you can keep an open mind and just enjoy how bizarre it all is)

If I had to only recommend three I'd say Haunt, Autopsy of Jane Doe, and Terrifier. Again in no particular order.

Tonight I'm watching We Are Still Here, something I thought I'd seen before but apparently hadn't. I'm also working through the Masters of Horror collection after someone, I think ITT, maybe not, recommended Cigarette Burns by John Carpenter, in the series -- which is phenomenal and I have to recommend as well.

Very glad I’m not the only one that loved Horse Girl

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I liked alien movies

Can any one tell me that movie that came out I wanna say pre 2015 where its like predator with a cgi Grey alien and in the end the goverment shows up and dumps the survivors in a pit with lye while the sound track plays "spirt in the sky?"

As for fear street I have a memory of reading the first book about how the street got cursed and I remember there was a teen kock off series that had more "mature" themes,

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s Extraterrestrial.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Oh I remembered Intruders, a CBS miniseries based on the Budd Hopkins book. It’s more of a straight drama but has some creepy scenes.

A24 still really works for me. Eggers , Aster, and now Glass more than make up for some of their lesser releases. And their non horror is pretty great too.

And while not A24,it has that vibe- I hated the lodge. gently caress those kids. Got what they deserved

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
When it comes to UFOs and alien invasions, y'all are really sleeping on The Invaders. Chris Carter may have cited Kolchak as the primary inspiration for the adventures of Mulder and Skully, but a decade before The Night Stalker there was a TV show which shares a whole lot more DNA with The X-Files—and, importantly, holds up incredibly well.

It follows a reporter an architect who discovers that a covert alien invasion has already begun when he stumbles upon a flying saucer landing one night. He travels from town to town uncovering a vast and deep conspiracy plot as humans are slowly replaced by alien beings who can change their appearance to look like us, but are actually refugees from another world determined to take over the earth. There's a palpable sense of paranoia and desperation to the show and it has shades of The Twilight Zone and The Prisoner throughout. It's a perfect balance of episodic and serialized (or, ehem, monster-of-the-week and mytharc) which gives it a propulsive momentum while keeping everything fresh.

It's horror-adjacent, but highly recommended.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 7, 2021

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Peccadillo posted:

It was

Did anyone see his movie about the kids with the missing features?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmdYO5bec2w

I really liked this. Not 100% horror but I remember it felt like one of those 80s kids adventure movies, like Goonies. There were some okay body horror moments though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m weird when I say alien horror. I really mean Alien Grey stuff. Like abductions, conspiracies, experiments...but only with Greys.

There’s tons of alien horror but oddly enough not a whole lot of really solid ones involving that. Like I’m
surprised no one has dug into Dulce Base stuff yet.

I know that Project Umbra movie was supposed to be about it but it never even got made.

It’s so ripe with fun insanity. You have horrific hybrids, reptilians, alien on alien battles, a giant laser fight in the middle of the base....it’s so dope.

We need more stuff with the Greys.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

When it comes to UFOs and alien invasions, y'all are really sleeping on The Invaders. Chris Carter may have cited Kolchak as the primary inspiration for the adventures of Mulder and Skully, but a decade before The Night Stalker there was a TV show which shares a whole lot more DNA with The X-Files—and, importantly, holds up incredibly well.

It follows a reporter who discovers that a covert alien invasion has already begun when he stumbles upon a flying saucer landing one night. He travels from town to town uncovering a vast and deep conspiracy plot as humans are slowly replaced by alien beings who can change their appearance to look like us, but are refugees from another world determined to take over the earth. There's a palpable paranoia and desperation to the show and it has shades of The Twilight Zone and The Prisoner throughout. It's a perfect balance of episodic and serialized (or, ehem, monster-of-the-week and mytharc) which gives it a propulsive momentum while keeping everything fresh.

It's horror-adjacent, but highly recommended.

sounds great and I'm going to seek it out

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I watched Fear Street yesterday and... it was cute? I liked it quite a bit, it definitely feels like a slightly-older Goosebumps complete with Scooby Doo logic on how to defeat the Big Bad Evil. Not a lot of gore until that one scene, just enough to shock younger audiences and please older millennial horror fans (the ones who'd actually remember Fear Street). I thought the 90s pandering was a little ridiculous, like it just started getting comical with the constant musical cues that lasted like 20 seconds before segueing straight into the next one. Not bad though!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

CelticPredator posted:

We need more stuff with the Greys.

One of my favorite little one off bits in Babylon 5 is a guy suing a Grey over abducting his great grandfather and ruining his life.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

M_Sinistrari posted:

One of my favorite little one off bits in Babylon 5 is a guy suing a Grey over abducting his great grandfather and ruining his life.

And better still, the Grey was quite probably innocent. As we find out later, it's a different, similar looking race called the Streib who actually do the abduction. The other race are suffering because of human racism - all those grey people look alike, dontchaknow.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Jedit posted:

And better still, the Grey was quite probably innocent. As we find out later, it's a different, similar looking race called the Streib who actually do the abduction. The other race are suffering because of human racism - all those grey people look alike, dontchaknow.

I don't remember that reveal. Guess I just have to do another Babylon 5 rewatch. I swear, each rewatch I do, I notice something new.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

I watched Fear Street yesterday and... it was cute? I liked it quite a bit, it definitely feels like a slightly-older Goosebumps complete with Scooby Doo logic on how to defeat the Big Bad Evil. Not a lot of gore until that one scene, just enough to shock younger audiences and please older millennial horror fans (the ones who'd actually remember Fear Street). I thought the 90s pandering was a little ridiculous, like it just started getting comical with the constant musical cues that lasted like 20 seconds before segueing straight into the next one. Not bad though!

One of my friends was all salty that most of the music, including More Human Than Human came out after 1994 but, like, bruh are we really nitpicking about this in the time traveling witch movie?

That hallway scene almost made me mad until they got to Portishead and then I was ok with it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

flashy_mcflash posted:

One of my friends was all salty that most of the music, including More Human Than Human came out after 1994 but, like, bruh are we really nitpicking about this in the time traveling witch movie?

Also that trick was already pulled by The Blair Witch Project, where they released a tie-in album that apart from one Bauhaus track was all recorded after the filmmakers disappeared.

That said: I haven't seen Fear Street, but if the Portishead track is from Dummy then it's potentially not anachronistic as that album was released in 1994.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Explosivo12 posted:

It’s a bit much with the LGBT getting shoved down our collective throats especially when it has nothing to do with the original content. Again, no problems with gays and all that. Do what you like, but come on man. It’s clear they are just going down a quota checklist. What’s even sadder is that’s precisely what’s being taught in film school now.
I'm sorry I missed out on the collective dunk. I had a busy weekend.

You can always spot these bigots because they're incredibly defensive about the most banal garbage imaginable. Who gives a poo poo if they changed a franchise paperback written for middle-schoolers in the 90s? And they always whine about the content being "shoved down their throat" like they got raped by their television. Change the channel, bitch.

We need a containment thread where posters like Explosivo can lose their poo poo over Aunt Jemima and Land'o'Lakes in a safe space.