Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I found out yesterday that even if you have the acid upgrade, you still need the Monarch Wings to get to Cornifer in Fog Canyon. You can, however, also get into Queen's Gardens from Fog Canyon, meaning all the areas around Fog Canyon are mapped, but not Fog Canyon itself. Annoying.

It may be possible to pogo on enemies to reach Cornifer, but if so it requires more skill than I can produce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

It is possible, I did it once, I think. But pogoing off those stupid big jellyfishes are absolutely not worth the effort.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Love Cloth braining the Traitor Lord so hard that its mask cracks :black101:

More fun trivia: the Hidden Station wasn't in the initial release of the game, so if you ever needed to come back here you had to hoof it from King's Station. It was added by the Hidden Dreams content pack, hence the name "Hidden Station".

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
OK, I don't care that you're upgraded to the nines, beating the Traitor Lord in three tries is deeply impressive regardless of how much poo poo you've got. Well done Nat.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Traitor Lord was a huge stumbling block for me, but I finally beat him with a build Nat has no way to make right now because he only has the two supporting charms for it and none of the main ones. It was a pet build, with Weaversong, Grubsong, Glowing Womb, and Defender's Crest.

Remember that Grimm said Hallownest was "fallowed by worm and root." We've seen the worm, now here's the root.

The Dreams, Warrior or otherwise, all seem to believe they're still alive at first. Galien even seems to fail to recognize his own corpse. Beating them usually has them realize they're dead. And there's that pair in Fog Canyon that go "We'll be moving on as soon as we figure out which way to go. Feels like we've been arguing about it for a while."

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Traitor Lord is much easier once you realize why the game forced you to have the shade cloak to reach him. Your dash recharges at exactly the right rate in between his dashes and as a bonus effect the lord will never use that stupid projectile attack that is waaaaay too easy to get hit by.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The Hunter Journal confirms what Tea was saying, stating that the Traitor Lord embraced the infection and turned against his sisters. They're also refered to with the epithet "Sisters of Battle" in a bit of optional content.

And since Nat didn't get a certain scene with Hornet, I wonder if he's figured out who her parents are from what The White Lady said. Mostly because I didn't figure it out myself until I did get that Hornet scene on my second playthrough, but didn't get it the first time.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 3, 2021

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I've always prnounced Dirtmouth the same way youd pronounce Dartmouth, the town, rather than Dirt-Mouth.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 5, 2021

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

That links to episode 49 not 48

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab posted:

That links to episode 49 not 48

Oops!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I appreciate that Tea directed Nat into the Hive. Otherwise the White Palace could have been very, very frustrating. Or at least more frustrating than it could be.

EDIT: In any case...BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!

EDIT2: Grats on finally getting Isma's Tear. There is still one place that you can use it to reach that you can't otherwise, and that is the Lake of Unn

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 5, 2021

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Hive is absolutely my favourite place aesthetically. It does make me sad the game doesn't do anything with ants, despite being a setting about bug societies. Very little of termites too. Maybe Team Cherry thought they were low-hanging fruit?

Either way, it's a beautiful area. It's cool to see a place that's both a grandiose construction and still in good repair. A shame it's so easy to go the whole game without actually finding it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I think one of my favorite parts of the level design is the scenery of different zones leaking out and blending together. Like you can spot the Queen's Gardens flora at the top of the Deepnest room leading to the Mask Maker, or the lobed clover-like plants that adorn Isma's Grove in that section of Kingdom's Edge that abuts but doesn't directly connect to it.

The Hive is definitely the most pleasant of places that want to murder you.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think both ants and bees are very cool but I think having them in the same setting would feel a but redundant, with both of them occupying the "eusocial caste insect" spot. Or rather I think you could have them both in the same setting but that would be a story about ants and bees, not a story about unspecified bugs that features either ants or bees. And if you can have only one or the other in a story bees are generally the superior choice just on, like, iconography. Instantly recognizable colour scheme. Every bee flies and comes with her own weapon.

(Once again, ants are cool. In fact, everyone should go check out this thread about how cool ants are. They farm critters! They cultivate fungus! They make weird ant bread! But that's like, Deep Ant Lore that I think is fundamentally beyond the scope of Hollow Knight, which is about bugs, but it's about magic soul bugs and can get kind of fuzzy on real critter facts.

I don't know anything about termites.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Higher Teas, these words are for you alone (though it may be too late):

Deep focus and grubsong are infinitely better. You get 11 times base healing capacity and don't have the downtime of hiveblood.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

YggiDee posted:

I think both ants and bees are very cool but I think having them in the same setting would feel a but redundant, with both of them occupying the "eusocial caste insect" spot. Or rather I think you could have them both in the same setting but that would be a story about ants and bees, not a story about unspecified bugs that features either ants or bees. And if you can have only one or the other in a story bees are generally the superior choice just on, like, iconography. Instantly recognizable colour scheme. Every bee flies and comes with her own weapon.

I agree, but mainly because it would make the story become more about the struggles between these three bug societies. We already have the Pale King's society of capitalist bugs, and the bees and their monarchy are just doing their own thing out here on the edge, not really bothering anyone, as bees are wont to do. But ants are necessarily expansionist, as anyone who's played SimAnt or dealt with an anthill can tell you. They would very much be their own antagonist (no pun intended) faction, rolling Deepnest and the Traitor Mantises into one.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I would guess they didn't do ants or termites because they didn't want to take anything from Deepnest as the underground area. Having an underground insect nest as well might lessen the impact.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
please please never use hiveblood for your own sanity, it makes that one place take double or triple the length

Isma's tear was incredibly funny because it was actually supposed to be gotten before the double jump.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
”Use Hiveblood there” is the Hollow Knight community equivalent common knowledge to “if you ask them if they’re a cop they have to tell you”.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT2: Grats on finally getting Isma's Tear. There is still one place that you can use it to reach that you can't otherwise, and that is the Lake of Unn

I mean, that's not the only place. He needs it to get the Love Key as well, for exampe.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Eeepies posted:

please please never use hiveblood for your own sanity, it makes that one place take double or triple the length

Isma's tear was incredibly funny because it was actually supposed to be gotten before the double jump.

I will gladly sit around for a few moments decompressing from that ridiculous bullshit rather than loving die and wake up on the bench with zero progress for the fifth goddamn time. I will admit, however, it doesn't make for the most compelling spectating.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Dareon posted:

I will gladly sit around for a few moments decompressing from that ridiculous bullshit rather than loving die and wake up on the bench with zero progress for the fifth goddamn time. I will admit, however, it doesn't make for the most compelling spectating.

Grubsong and Deep Focus almost cancels out the damage + dream nailing the bystanders refills you. It should be enough to get through with much shorter time.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Eeepies posted:

I mean is it really? They're both available as soon as you get the crystal dash.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Eeepies posted:

Grubsong and Deep Focus almost cancels out the damage + dream nailing the bystanders refills you. It should be enough to get through with much shorter time.

Grubberfly's Elegy makes Grubsong more efficient, toss that into the mix and you'll end up gaining Soul faster than you can spend it.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The pit placement making you want to hadoken the bees thus opening the hive is great IMO.

EDIT : And if you want a game with a country of Ants and a country of Bees, there is Bug Fables (which has an LP on SA too.)

Tylana fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 6, 2021

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It's funny how I ended up discovering that there was an area down there. However, it is a bit of a spoiler so I'm not going to mention it until we get to that point. The boss of the Hive was quite the challenge for me though, so I'm looking forward to how it's handled here.

Also yeah, agreeing with all the other spoiler marks in here.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Alxprit posted:

Also yeah, agreeing with all the other spoiler marks in here.

I disagree. For quelling anxiety, infinite retries is fundamentally different from practically infinite retries.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

While this is more related to the next episode, I wouldn't object to Tea being more proactive in directing Nat moving forward.

watching Nat scroll over the same unexplored exit in the Fungal Wastes is pretty frustrating

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I don't think Markoth is the only one to recognise that he's dead after you beat him. Galien also noticed his own corpse, although he didn't recognise it as himself. Most of the warrier dreams are at graves, though, so there isn't a corpse there to see.

He definitely is a moth, though - he wields the same dreamshield that you got from the hidden chamber near the seer. And he does seem more aware of both his own relationship with the world and yours.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Wasps, ants, and other kinds of bees also make honey, but the western honeybee is the only one we bothered domesticating.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Funny thing about Hiveblood: it's not a true regen. I mean, it is, but it'll only regenerate the last mask lost. This is a big problem when fighting something like, say, the Traitor Lord, who does two masks of damage, or when you get hit multiple times in quick succession and lose more health than can be regenerated. You can still focus normally, though.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Tea: look at this world and it's inhabitants and be enamored with them.

Nat: I just want to kill things.

Nat's right, btw.

"Just a corpse" is all Tizo deserves. He died a fool like all the rest.

E: that's not a spoiler, it's just hidden for dramatic effect.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 8, 2021

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Oh god I had nearly forgotten that Buck Bumble was a thing. Tea, why did you have to remind me ;)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Hive Knight gave me a lot of trouble. Not just because he's a tricksy little fight, but also because the bench run from there is somewhat annoying if you don't think to use Farore's Wind. Lots of flying little losers to deal with all over the place. Fun fact, Hive Knight didn't always exist in the game, he got added in the "QoL" patch between the second and third content updates as I recall. The Hive itself existed, but it didn't have the Hive Knight or the Hiveblood reward at the end until then.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The fight with the Hive Knight also alludes to (cut content spoiler) Hornet's original concept as the Daughter of Three Queens, with the idea that she was trained in combat by Hive Queen Vespa, explaining why she's such a fan of aerial attacks and has her barbs attack in Kingdom's Edge, in a similar manner to the three exploding spikes the Knight uses. I dont' think it was ever confirmed that this isn't still true, it just isn't alluded to in the game except in this indirect way.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Alxprit posted:

Hive Knight gave me a lot of trouble. Not just because he's a tricksy little fight, but also because the bench run from there is somewhat annoying if you don't think to use Farore's Wind. Lots of flying little losers to deal with all over the place. Fun fact, Hive Knight didn't always exist in the game, he got added in the "QoL" patch between the second and third content updates as I recall. The Hive itself existed, but it didn't have the Hive Knight or the Hiveblood reward at the end until then.

Hiveblood was there, the Hive Knight was not :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Reveilled posted:

The fight with the Hive Knight also alludes to (cut content spoiler) Hornet's original concept as the Daughter of Three Queens, with the idea that she was trained in combat by Hive Queen Vespa, explaining why she's such a fan of aerial attacks and has her barbs attack in Kingdom's Edge, in a similar manner to the three exploding spikes the Knight uses. I dont' think it was ever confirmed that this isn't still true, it just isn't alluded to in the game except in this indirect way.

Hive Knight feels very much like Hornet 2.0 v3, with his rushing attacks and the pollen puffs.

Also, HUZZZZZZZZZZZAH!