Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Hey does anyone have a good vehicle weathering guide? Got an ork vehicle just to paint and I wanna try something new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Business Gorillas posted:

Hey does anyone have a good vehicle weathering guide? Got an ork vehicle just to paint and I wanna try something new

If you're interested in trying some weathering techniques from real world armour, you can't go wrong checking out Night Shift or Plasmos vids. All those guys do is paint and detail armor, and do it in many different ways. You're bound to find a load of techniques you can apply to Ork vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/c/NightShiftScaleModels/videos
https://www.youtube.com/c/idaemonplasmo/videos

If you wan to spend some money on a book or two, I recommend the FAQ books, by AK Interactive, or Adams Armour, by Adam Wilder. You're unlikely to find copies of Adams Armour for cheap anymore, but I thought I'd mention it as they're considered absolute bibles of model building and detailing, and you might want to hunt down some copies. The FAQ books on armour are still readily available, and are weighty tomes on just about any and every type of armour detailing. I've got a copy of every FAQ book so far, and loved them all.

https://ak-interactive.com/product-category/scale-modeling-publications/scale-modeling-books/books-faq/
https://www.wilder.su/collections/books

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

so I got some of these 8 inch wooden hexagons and was wondering if you could use them to make a modular gaming table for Warhammer or whatever. Put some rubber thingies on the back to keep them from sliding, then paint them up differently to represent different types of terrain. Could sculpt some to have hills and roads and what not.

Would make the board look kinda like a game of Civ 5 which I think would look pretty cool.

You'd need about 50-60 to make a 4x6 table, which is kind of alot tho.

Is this a stupid idea? Too much work or too tedious to actually use?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
that sounds like a lot of work but "moveable type gaming table" is a premise that is absolutely worth it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I think it's a cool and fun idea. You can test out different terrain types too with it so you're not just making a billion of the same cobblestone squares. Maybe do little batches of tiles to clump up together that can be combined to have clusters of biomes but keep things different. 10 forest, 10 village, 10 mountain, 10 radioactive cyberpunk city, whatever.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Def. doable but a beast to store. I've got about 100 4.5" ones from warsenal that I want to use to make modular hills, roads and industrial/city/built-up areas.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
How would I make it so that tiles can be picked up without disturbing their neighbors?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Nebalebadingdong posted:

so I got some of these 8 inch wooden hexagons and was wondering if you could use them to make a modular gaming table for Warhammer or whatever. Put some rubber thingies on the back to keep them from sliding, then paint them up differently to represent different types of terrain. Could sculpt some to have hills and roads and what not.

Would make the board look kinda like a game of Civ 5 which I think would look pretty cool.

I feel like its a fun idea that would be a massive hassle to actually do. Most modular boards I see have a) bigger modular tiles, so fewer are needed to make a full table, and b) square sections, which mean you only need to deal with 4 edges. Because the edges are the hassle, as they need to match up with the edges of all your other tiles (or at least a good portion of them). So (for example) if you've used sculptamold or similar to build up some groundforms you have to try and make that fairly uniform at the edges of a number of tiles, as they have to line up with 6 other surrounding tiles and you dont want a straight lip sticking up between them. To avoid that you could make most of them plain flat tiles with just some flock or whatever, but at that point you might as well just use a battlemat and regular terrain.

I mean, if you manage it it'll be cool, but its not going to be a short/easy project! Me, I'd be tempted to just bevel the edges and make them bases for regular terrain pieces, especially if you only have a few of them so far. Or maybe just make a modular road, because at least then you know which edges need to match (the ones with the road on them).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nebalebadingdong posted:

How would I make it so that tiles can be picked up without disturbing their neighbors?

Each one could have a small solid dowel embedded in it, that you could grab to lift the whole thing up. You could disguise the dowel as parts of the scenery, such as a stump, or metal pipe, etc etc.

You could also go really fancy and embed a strong magnet in the center of each one, and then have a separate magnetic grabber that hold over the board to "pick" it up.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Each one could have a small solid dowel embedded in it, that you could grab to lift the whole thing up. You could disguise the dowel as parts of the scenery, such as a stump, or metal pipe, etc etc.

You could also go really fancy and embed a strong magnet in the center of each one, and then have a separate magnetic grabber that hold over the board to "pick" it up.

I thought about magnets too but then I thought what if you're playing someone that magnetized their miniature bases?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

tangy yet delightful posted:

I thought about magnets too but then I thought what if you're playing someone that magnetized their miniature bases?

Warhammer and Katamari Damacy crossover?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

tangy yet delightful posted:

Could just go with a chunk of steel, and just have the magnet be on the grabber. Magnetic bases would still stick but they wouldn't stick as bad or get repelled.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

My first Warhammer army is slowly growing! I know I'm still making a bunch of mistakes when it comes to actually painting them, but overall I'm trying not sweat those kinds of things and just focusing on finishing models.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Make the world's biggest Catan set

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

My first Warhammer army is slowly growing! I know I'm still making a bunch of mistakes when it comes to actually painting them, but overall I'm trying not sweat those kinds of things and just focusing on finishing models.

I think they're looking pretty decent! One thing I think might lift them slightly without much extra effort though is doing the eyes. I'm normally a big proponent of "dont try to paint eyes, just put some extra wash in the eye socket", but with those necrons the eyeball is actually raised in the socket and they dont need a white and a pupil, so all you'd need to do is touch the raised bit with white, then when that has dried put a contrast paint (or tesseract glow if you want to go that way) over the eye. Just would give a touch of colour in the face so its less of a sea of steel.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SiKboy posted:

I think they're looking pretty decent! One thing I think might lift them slightly without much extra effort though is doing the eyes. I'm normally a big proponent of "dont try to paint eyes, just put some extra wash in the eye socket", but with those necrons the eyeball is actually raised in the socket and they dont need a white and a pupil, so all you'd need to do is touch the raised bit with white, then when that has dried put a contrast paint (or tesseract glow if you want to go that way) over the eye. Just would give a touch of colour in the face so its less of a sea of steel.

Follow on tip: use a toothpick for really tiny spots of color, like in eyes. That can be easier than tiny brushes for some applications.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Skails posted:

Starting in on a Hordes of Chaos army, first up is the mounted sorcerer.

This is magnificent. I have the mini, but not painted it yet! This is great inspiration!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Good thinking on the eyes. I’ll definitely add them in the next time I paint.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So i just got my dominion box set and have started assembling my Kruleboyz. Ive got a color scheme in mind with blue shields and blue body paint to give them a bit of a 40k deathskulls meets celtic woad warrior look but ive never done body paint before and am not sure what im doing. Should I just paint some talasar blue contrast paint over the completed flesh or should I go with a non contrast paint or is there some trick to body paints that Im missing?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Out of curiosity, are there any decent miniature subscription boxes out there? I feel like that'd be perfect gift for someone but I wasn't finding a lot online

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

So i just got my dominion box set and have started assembling my Kruleboyz. Ive got a color scheme in mind with blue shields and blue body paint to give them a bit of a 40k deathskulls meets celtic woad warrior look but ive never done body paint before and am not sure what im doing. Should I just paint some talasar blue contrast paint over the completed flesh or should I go with a non contrast paint or is there some trick to body paints that Im missing?

I’d go with non-contrast paint, since contrast depends heavily on the underlying color.

I’ve only done body paint a few times but I find it’s important to remember to highlight the body painted areas. If you do a blue facepaint, then highlight stuff like lips and cheekbones with a lighter blue, and so on. Makes it look more natural.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

AnEdgelord posted:

Contrast paints are transparent so they won’t work well for body paint. I recommend using normal acrylics painted on after the skin is completed. If you want something really smooth and opaque that will have nice coverage in a single pass, that’s good for complex patterns and details, I’d recommend artist inks.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Anyone got any recommendations for storing paints in an easy to access way?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

nail polish stands

they work great for paint bottles

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

jesus WEP posted:

nail polish stands

Yes, that's exactly what I'm after. Cheers

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Verisimilidude posted:

Contrast paints are transparent so they won’t work well for body paint. I recommend using normal acrylics painted on after the skin is completed. If you want something really smooth and opaque that will have nice coverage in a single pass, that’s good for complex patterns and details, I’d recommend artist inks.

Any particular brands of artist ink you would recommend?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

AnEdgelord posted:

Any particular brands of artist ink you would recommend?

Daler Rowny and Liquitex are solid.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

nail polish stands

I have a wall-mounted one and it works pretty great

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I really need one of those by now because my hobbyzone shelf has zero space at this point.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I bought a filing cabinet from Ikea that works well for my abhorrently large collection of paints

There's three drawers filled with paint like that and then one of brushes, one of basing materials, and one that I just keep gloves in. I like trying out paint and different colors

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

I bought a filing cabinet from Ikea that works well for my abhorrently large collection of paints

There's three drawers filled with paint like that and then one of brushes, one of basing materials, and one that I just keep gloves in. I like trying out paint and different colors

I use that one for my tools - one drawer for cutting tools, one for glues and tapes, one for sanding tools, one to store my light box, one for coloring books and colored pencils for the days where I want to out color on something but just can't be motivated to paint a mini...

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
For Paint storage here's a tip.
Both Alcohol inks (used for scrapbooking) and Essential Oils (used for... something) have the same sized bottles as miniature paints, so their racks and cases, of which there are a lot, can be used, searching amazon for either will give you tons of options.
I use a few of these hard shell foam cases for all my vallejo paints, they're super convenient.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
BELIAL, GRAND MASTER OF THE DEATHWING hell yeah

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Had another go at a Rockgut Troggoth

I think I like this scheme better than my previous one. More color to contrast with the pale grots.

E: best buds

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 6, 2021

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I love these, I like how weathered and ancient they look

I would echo SiKboy’s suggestion, a green glow on the eyes would be the perfect addition

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Winklebottom posted:

Had another go at a Rockgut Troggoth

I think I like this scheme better than my previous one. More color to contrast with the pale grots.

I thought the other one was cool too, but this one is amazing. I really like the shading/highlighting, is it zenithal? It’s a very unique color choice and very vibrant. Sandstone head on the weapon goes nicely with the colors. I like the blue on the base and tongue too, also very vibrant. Which color is that? Baharroth? Electric blue?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I thought the other one was cool too, but this one is amazing. I really like the shading/highlighting, is it zenithal? It’s a very unique color choice and very vibrant. Sandstone head on the weapon goes nicely with the colors. I like the blue on the base and tongue too, also very vibrant. Which color is that? Baharroth? Electric blue?

Thanks! No zenithal, just lots of paint mixes and layering (enough that I'm sorta dreading having to paint the remaining five trolls).

The blue is Sotek Green -> Temple Guard Blue -> Baharroth Blue, yeah. Really love those blues, very vibrant as you said.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

if i created a tmm zenithal with black metal - steel - silver, is there a contrast or ink that will make it look gold? or are metallics too cold, and it’ll end up looking a bit green?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

jesus WEP posted:

if i created a tmm zenithal with black metal - steel - silver, is there a contrast or ink that will make it look gold? or are metallics too cold, and it’ll end up looking a bit green?

You'd have to test it, but I have had very good results painting contrast snakebite leather over silvers to get a nice gold effect. It's my favorite way to paint gold now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I wanted to test out a yellow contrast but I hear a thinned out snakebite leather will work and think a few people of posted a recipe for NMM with it.

I've done the pseudo zenithal think with vmc jet exhaust - magnesium - chrome then using contrast aethermatic blue, talasssar blue (super good try it) and some scale 75 red instant paints. Works pretty well