Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yikes, Anno 1404's steam page is afire with people commenting about Uplay launcher shenanigans. poo poo like that is real insidious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
pretty much all ubi games actually launch uplay to do it

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Serephina posted:

Yikes, Anno 1404's steam page is afire with people commenting about Uplay launcher shenanigans. poo poo like that is real insidious.

They re-released bunch of their older games lady year just to add Uplay, fix one or two bugs they didn't bother to fix before and probably a bit higher price. Ubisoft sucks.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 6, 2021

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

pretty much all ubi games actually launch uplay to do it

and they have for what, 5 years now at least

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Anno 1404 is a special case, because it was a pre-Uplay game but then got replaced by an updated re-release. They've been real grimy about some of this poo poo. See also: AC3.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sininu posted:

They re-released bunch of their older games lady year with Uplay tacked on and probably a bit higher price. Ubisoft sucks.

I'm not a fan of their dumb Uplay garbage, but even when you don't mind it, some games just won't work anymore like Might & Magic X, which stopped working last month and they have removed it from sale with no explanation yesterday. Because of their obsession into putting DRM into everything and then not even keeping those servers up. No refunds for anyone. Ubisoft loving sucks.

I seriously doubt any other company treats their PC customers like this. On console everything works. On PC, it's DRM everywhere and forced online modes that only work sometimes, because even though we pay for the things they are still wary that we may be pirates. The only thing these sort of actions do is remind us on every turn that it's best to pirate Ubisoft games, because paying for them is pointless since they will simply stop working one day.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Wiltsghost posted:

and they have for what, 5 years now at least

Oh, they've been doing this garbage since rear end Creed 2 in 2010. I remember how it used to regularly eat people's saves until they fixed it in like 2015 or 2016.
The only games they've launched since without it that I can think of are Grow Home and it's sequel.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Machine for Pigs is one of the few games I own that made me upset how lovely and pretentious it is. The others were Brink and Shenmue

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
uplay is okay now, but it's annoying.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sininu posted:

Oh, they've been doing this garbage since rear end Creed 2 in 2010. I remember how it used to regularly eat people's saves until they fixed it in like 2015 or 2016.
The only games they've launched since without it that I can think of are Grow Home and it's sequel.

AC4 was the one with borked cloud support.

Saoshyant posted:

I'm not a fan of their dumb Uplay garbage, but even when you don't mind it, some games just won't work anymore like Might & Magic X, which stopped working last month and they have removed it from sale with no explanation yesterday. Because of their obsession into putting DRM into everything and then not even keeping those servers up. No refunds for anyone. Ubisoft loving sucks.

The idiotic thing there is that it's a one-time call home check and I think there's even a trick to get around it. But you're SOL when it comes to the DLC either way.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 6, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

John Murdoch posted:

Anno 1404 is a special case, because it was a pre-Uplay game but then got replaced by an updated re-release. They've been real grimy about some of this poo poo. See also: AC3.
Anno 1404 is a double-special case, because before the updated re-release it was also missing an entire patch for years. At least they used the re-release to increase resolution support and move it to 64bit rather than simply bolting Uplay onto the old game.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
"A Machine For Pigs" is still one my favourite titles in any medium. (And the game itself wasn't as bad as screeching nerds led me to believe)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It was all downhill after reading that awesome title

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I bought the GOG version of Anno 1404 yesterday and it came with zero uplay shenannigans :toot:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Huh so I'm unclear... does steam's 1404 work at all now? I can't tell whether these reviews are "This sucks because uplay sucks" (true, but no big deal), or "This sucks because it doesn't loving work" (Decently big deal).

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Omi no Kami posted:

Huh so I'm unclear... does steam's 1404 work at all now? I can't tell whether these reviews are "This sucks because uplay sucks" (true, but no big deal), or "This sucks because it doesn't loving work" (Decently big deal).

The non-uplay version still works fine if you have it from before they re-released it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Time for another game awareness post: Kite is a synthwave android twin stick shooter created mostly by 1 person which is solid, stylish, and sadly failed to get any notice whatsoever. I have no idea how I heard about it, but it was on my wishlist for a couple years before I finally tried it and I'm glad I did. the steam page trailer gives a pretty good impression of what it's about.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I asked in the games chat thread but I might have better luck here -- anyone tried wildermyth yet? Is it as good as the reviews claim? Because it's rocking the charts.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Going to post here so I can check my post history and link a post where I talked about it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908833&pagenumber=3&perpage=40&userid=226897#post515582506

The combat is cute for a lark, but the real meat of the game is the ttrpg like emergent character development that plays out through many quick vignettes. If you are looking for deep combat, you may be better served elsewhere. If you are looking for a tale that you feel instrumental in helping weave, its a solid pick up. I beat the first campaign after 8 hours and that was enough for me because I value the combat more. Something like Xcom Chimera Squad or Into the Breach served me better on those fronts

nordichammer fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 6, 2021

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Wildermyth is fine, if its on sale grab it for sure

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sjs00 posted:

Wildermyth is fine, if its on sale grab it for sure

Your avatar rules OP

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

So I finally decided to actually give Amnesia: The Dark Descent a go and I ended up beating it lol. It was great, I dunno why I slept on it for so long since I loved Penumbra and SOMA.

From what I understand, Machine for Pigs isn't worth it and I should go straight to Rebirth right?

I thought Machine for Pigs was decent enough. It's much less of a game, like from what I remember you don't have an inventory for items or anything, and "puzzles" are largely just "Carry this thing into the next room over and slot it into another thing." But that aside, I thought it was a good spooky train ride. The grimy industrial nightmare aesthetics are sufficiently disturbing.

It's 90% off right now and only takes a few hours to beat, I'd say it's worth giving a whirl as long as you go in knowing it's just a linear little horror snack. But of course, you also won't be missing out on anything critical if you feel like skipping it. Rebirth is loving fantastic.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Just started Yakuza: Like A Dragon. These guys still know how to bounce between extremely sobering content and wacky shenanigans. Jeez louise.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Eason the Fifth posted:

I asked in the games chat thread but I might have better luck here -- anyone tried wildermyth yet? Is it as good as the reviews claim? Because it's rocking the charts.
I've only really played through the intro campaign so far (~5 hours) but it's pretty decent. You can definitely see the procgen seams if you're looking for them, but even so, I ended up with a couple of characters at the end that had built up a bunch of "oh yeah I remember when they did that thing" on their paper dolls, both from combat and story scenes. My lead warrior found a sword in a stone, chose not to pull it because it was a hero's resting place, and then it turned into a bunny friend that followed her around and gave her extra damage anyway. Stories like that seem to be the main draw rather than the actual combat, which is solid but nothing particularly special.

It's mostly built around entirely separate 5-8 hour campaigns instead of one long story, but you can import particularly memorable characters into other campaigns if you really want to. I'm having fun with it.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Trickyblackjack posted:

"A Machine For Pigs" is still one my favourite titles in any medium. (And the game itself wasn't as bad as screeching nerds led me to believe)

Pigs doesn't start strong, but the midgame is interesting enough and the ending is excellent.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Jamfrost posted:

Just started Yakuza: Like A Dragon. These guys still know how to bounce between extremely sobering content and wacky shenanigans. Jeez louise.

I''ve always seen drama in Yakuza more laughable than touching, with Kiryu shouting at the sky under the rain a couple of times in every game. Like a Dragon is loving heartbreaking. Ichiban VA is incredible.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

I''ve always seen drama in Yakuza more laughable than touching, with Kiryu shouting at the sky under the rain a couple of times in every game. Like a Dragon is loving heartbreaking. Ichiban VA is incredible.

The ending's incredibly raw and both Ichiban's JP and EN voice actors knocked it out of the loving park

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

Xarbala posted:

The ending's incredibly raw and both Ichiban's JP and EN voice actors knocked it out of the loving park

I just finished Yakuza: Like A Dragon the other day and thought it was an absolutely incredible game. Also following that ending with that end credits song was a loving masterstroke

Kiryu owns hard and I love him, but Ichiban just felt so much more human in almost every way imaginable. I'm not sure I'm quite ready to call him a better character than Kiryu just yet but give him a couple more games and we'll see

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dunno about better character, but ichiban is definitely a better person.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Does Steam have a specific page listing all the available DLC for my games? The main page shows 4 DLC kinda randomly, but I would like to see more.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The main page for the game should have a “content for this game” bar if you scroll down a bit, that will show several dlcs.

It should have two buttons:
See All shows a list of all dlc and their names, nothing else
Browse All throws all the DLC up as tiles kinda randomly. If you scroll down there are descriptions.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Fruits of the sea posted:

The main page for the game should have a “content for this game” bar if you scroll down a bit, that will show several dlcs.

It should have two buttons:
See All shows a list of all dlc and their names, nothing else
Browse All throws all the DLC up as tiles kinda randomly. If you scroll down there are descriptions.

I know well about that. I mean page that shows DLC that I do not have for all my games. Checking games one by one would be tedious.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I agree that a page similar to wishlist that showed 'DLC for games you own ' would be nice.

Would also be nice if soundtracks and art books were separate from DLC.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sininu posted:

I know well about that. I mean page that shows DLC that I do not have for all my games. Checking games one by one would be tedious.

Ahh, yeah. That would be nice, especially during sales.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

FYI, the original gold edition can still be found on GOG. It still looks great and works fine, the only downsides are no multiplayer and no borderless window mode. Think it might have issues with ultra widescreen resolutions as well.

Whichever version you get, google the unofficial patch. It’s been updated and fixes a poo poo-ton of stuff that was never touched by Ubi.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

i bought it and refunded it bcos it was a buggy mess that barely functioned

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Last time I tried to play Anno 2070 (which was a few years back, to be fair) I had to install uPlay from outside Steam and run the game from there because the uPlay version bundled with the game simply didn't work.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Time for another game awareness post: Kite is a synthwave android twin stick shooter created mostly by 1 person which is solid, stylish, and sadly failed to get any notice whatsoever. I have no idea how I heard about it, but it was on my wishlist for a couple years before I finally tried it and I'm glad I did. the steam page trailer gives a pretty good impression of what it's about.

Hey neat! Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I picked it up.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
these anglerfish can suck my dark bramble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Why does Steam constantly reset my “allow downloads during gameplay” setting? It’s so annoying during the sales when I’m downloading a few new games and want to try one, only to find that oh, hey, it hasn’t downloaded anything for the last 90 minutes because Steam changed a setting without asking again.