Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I actually like that case (3/2, with the restaurant) a lot, the actual mystery isn't great but it has some of the most memorable and funniest investigation scenes in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Umineko Episode 5 finished, spoilers:

god dammit Ryukishi

So that was a hell of a ride, took a while to get going as usual but I was grinning non-stop through the ending. I’m still not completely sold on Bernkastel and Lambdadelta but I think that’s maybe the point? I want Beato back ☹ They’ve pulled off the whole ‘immortal amoral monsters tormenting each other for no reason at all’ thing pretty well. It feels odd after the last megapost but I don’t feel as driven to speculate wildly after this one, maybe because it worked so well as a self-contained episode, but also because the story seems to be increasingly critical of speculation and mystery-solving for its own sake. I really liked the chat between Battler and Dlanor about the implicit trust between reader and author. Without love, it cannot be seen? Well, I love this game, so…

A few bits and pieces: it’s interesting/infuriating that even Battler’s triumphant counterattack still doesn’t establish a definitive explanation for the murders in this chapter. After all, once you’ve established that the victims didn’t actually die in the bedroom during the night pretty much everyone is in play as the killer. The only reason Battler puts himself forward as candidate is that he supposedly has a motive, but we know from the previous games that he’s not alone in that.

Speaking of that motive, my initial reaction to the man from 19 years ago (needs a catchier name) was to assume he was just a metaphor for Natsuhi’s guilt tormenting her – after all we never have any independent confirmation of the calls, plus I’m pretty sure one happens after the phones are supposedly cut. But if the blackmail wasn’t real, why would she hide herself in a cupboard at the worst possible time? If we assume there was a real caller and it wasn’t Battler, it would have to be someone who knows about the whole dead baby thing, which once again puts the servants in the frame. The thing about Shannon knowing Natsuhi’s favourite season feels almost too obvious, though, but maybe I’m overthinking it.

The gold truth in the final showdown was pretty awesome, though I do worry it’s going to overcomplicate the beautiful simplicity of the red truth/blue truth dynamic, especially if they keep on being vague about what the actual practical difference between red and gold is. My guess is that as something only the game master can use, the gold truth is something that needs no explanation because it’s fundamental to the entire scenario. If that’s the case, a seemingly mundane detail like Kinzo being really, 100%, definitely dead must be essential to understanding what’s going on. Maybe Beatrice/the culprit’s plan can only happen if Kinzo is out of the picture? Or it’s a response to his death? Or maybe I’m barking up completely the wrong tree, who knows.

Before I embark on Episode 6, I thought I’d put together a list of the Big Questions from my point of view, in no particular order, and where I’m up to with them:

- Who is Beatrice, the Golden Witch? Obviously this is the big one. My previous theory was that the spirit of the island/collective imaginary friend was the same entity as the person Battler’s been …battling, but who even knows how the meta-world works at this point. It seems pretty clear we’re meant to connect her to a real person, the capital-C Culprit, who's somehow responsible for everything that happens on the island one way or another.
- Who were Beatrice Prime and Beatrice 2, and what happened to them? Where did the gold come from? Not much progress on this one, but I’m guessing Beatrice Prime was some random German or Italian woman who helped Kinzo get his hands on a boatload of Nazi gold, and Beatrice 2 was their daughter.
- Who is Beatrice 3? Does she physically exist, and if so why isn’t she present in every game? It’s possible I’m getting too hung up on this one. My working theory is still that she’s Shannon, who may very well be the capital-C Culprit. As for why she doesn’t appear in this one, even though Shannon’s alive until the end, maybe it’s because the riddle was solved, and solved publicly (rather than secretly as in Part 3) which seems to be what Beatrice wants?
- Is Beatrice the murderer? So Battler seems to be assuming that there's one culprit responsible for all of the currently unexplained deaths, and that this person is also Beatrice, but I still think some of them have to be down to the Ushiromiyas. Hopefully we’ll see, though the pacing suggests we probably won’t get a full breakdown of all the 50+ murders so far.
- What was the sin Battler forgot? So this definitely looks like it was some kind of promise between Battler (which one?) and the real Beatrice, if witch Beatrice’s breakdown when Battler mentions keeping promises is anything to go by. That in turn suggests that the real Beatrice was one of the cousins, Shannon or Kanon (I suppose he could have made a promise to an adult, but come on, this is an anime we’re talking about, childhood promises are a bingo square), and Shannon is already my prime suspect.
- Who is Battler? What happened to the original Battler? Battler is Beatrice 2’s son, and the baby given to Natsuhi (which tidies up the double cliff kill – see below). The repeated comparisons between Battler and Kinzo are unfortunately making the :chloe: option look more and more likely. I’m guessing he was raised in Kinzo’s orphanage, swapped in for the real Battler 6 years ago but then excluded from the conferences so that nobody would notice until he could have grown enough to be plausibly unrecognizable. As for why, you got me.
- Why does everyone on the island die when the game ends? How does Eva escape? I think this one is reasonably straightforward – there’s some mechanism in the mansion like a bomb or gas that kills everyone at midnight on the second day. We’re repeatedly told in Part 4 that Eva was found in Kuwadorian, so presumably that's a safe zone.
- What’s going on in 1998? Who sent the bottle messages, and the messages to the victims’ children? When did Ange die? What did Ange see in the boatman’s house? Got to admit, I’m not massively invested in the 1998 story now that it’s wrapped up. The bank account messages were presumably the culprit trying to compensate/apologize to the innocent descendants of the victims. I’ve already said my theory about Ange’s death. Big :shrug: on the last one.
- What actually happened with Natsuhi’s baby? How is it linked to Beatrice 2’s death? Does the man from 19 years ago actually exist? See above for the last one. I realized after my last post that that the whole thing makes sense if we assume the baby is Beatrice’s child: Beatrice 2 gives birth to baby (?Battler), Beatrice 2 dies by cliff (witnessed by Rosa), Kinzo attempts to give baby to Natsuhi, baby also dies by cliff, Kinzo loses his mind because his only link to Beatrice is gone.
- What are Rudolf and Kyrie up to? This isn’t a big mystery, but it’s interesting to me that they’re the only two adults whose motivations are still unclear. Presumably this will become clear if/when we find out what happened with the two Battlers.

early episode 6 edit: how are we still talking about cheese jfc

Gato fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 5, 2021

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Finished Umineko episode 5 (looks like just at the right time :v:). Going to write this before looking at Gato's thoughts.

I was waiting on posting until after Knox's rules were all listed (and they avoid talking about rule 5), but oops it turns out that's only in the post-episode tips section. I was waiting for someone to explain the rules to Battler and go "we don't talk about rule 5" all game.

Anyway, this episode felt a little weird since I knew going in that it was partially a response to people saying they couldn't figure things out from the first 4 episodes. I had more specific thoughts at one point but I forgot them since, I really should have written them down.

I found it funny that they brought up Japanese riddles being impossible for someone using a translation dictionary, since that's about the conclusion I came to on solving the epitaph. After the hint that Kinzo, being a big nerd, would use English (or at least Latin characters) as part of his riddle, I gave it another shot, but I can't help shake the feeling that some level of knowledge of Japanese is needed for some step, or at least Japanese geography for finding his hometown. I remember finding a town southwest of Odawara that contains all the letters in "kinzo" (under the assumption that "those who remain shall praise my noble name" means at the third twilight the remaining characters are an anagram of kinzo), but it has the wrong number of characters.

I feel extremely called out by Virgilia saying people tend not to want to think about things until they know they have enough facts available to solve things.

Erika sucks and I hate her!!! I don't want to have her show up again for episode 6!!! Go away you awful child!!! Hopefully she's toned down a bit next time.

I'm confused as to what exactly the, I guess "cosmology", of the world is now? Before I thought the "game board" was "reality", and for all of Beato's loving around she doesn't interfere directly, but now Bern can directly place Erika into the story, who knows about the meta-game and directly mentions it in-game, though everyone has no idea what she's talking about and ignores it. Having the meta-players be able to interact directly seems against how I thought it worked, where Beato says there's a Beatrice on the island responsible for the crimes but doesn't directly intervene in undeniable fashion. It mainly bothers me because of Lambda claiming to be the one phoning Natsuhi. Before, I would take it as her taking credit for an existing phone call made by a human, but if Erika can directly know about red truth and that she's "the detective", who's to say the phone calls aren't actually directly from Lambda? I have the "love" that Ryu07 wouldn't introduce an intriguing plot point like Natsuhi getting mysterious blackmail calls only to say "actually the calls were just Lambda", but it does seem in keeping with "throw chess pieces at each other" mess that is game 5 that Lambda is just dropping phone calls in from the meta-dimension to gently caress with people.

Bringing up the question of whether Beato's game meets Knox's rules without stating one way or the other makes me think the answer is "mostly yes, with some exceptions". The big one would be red truth, while a lot of it is giving Battler detective's authority to say that someone is really dead or the like, there's definitely some in there that violate Knox's 2nd.

You don't say "the point where the detective says they've figured it out is where the author wants the reader to try and find the answer" and then have Battler say he's figured it out if you don't want people to solve it, so I'm going to try and solve it, just, hopefully not in an Erika-like fashion. Actually, I'm not sure what exactly Erika is meant to be saying beyond "don't use mysteries as a way of bragging about how much smarter you are than everyone". The whole "intellectual rapist" thing (and Battler getting mad about Bern removing Beatrice from Natsuhi's flashback) seems like it's about trying to solve things that should remain unsolved, but as they say in early ????, authors write mysteries because they want the reader to solve them. I'm not sure if I'm thinking too hard about this and she's really just a stand-in for elitist readers.

So let's look at my previous theory, "Beatrice III 'exists' and killed and replaced Kanon". Knox's 10th kind of blows this wide open, I could look for clues to justify it, but let's be real, this theory was always kind of flimsy. I wanted to have a theory before reading episode 5, but also wanted to read episode 5 soon, and so I posted the first theory I had that seemed to hold some water. I will say though, it is very suspicious that we have a character known to walk silently and show up behind people without them noticing, and now a murderer who appears silently behind Hideyoshi without him noticing. How this fits with Kanon supposedly being in the parlor with everyone else I don't know, but it's suspicious!

In the big fight between Battler and Dlanor, it's established that a) Battler is the detective for the first 4 games and b) Battler lying about seeing Kinzo in game 5 is evidence that he's not the detective. Therefore, Battler seeing Beatrice in game 4 isn't a metaphor for him seeing a person who has Beatrice's role (Erika would probably say it was Natsuhi), he did in fact see someone who looked like Beatrice. This doesn't fully deny the possibility he saw someone dressed as Beatrice (again, Erika would say Natsuhi), since only Kinzo gets red-text "no impostor" privileges, but it feels like good evidence that Beatrice 'exists!' (Battler seeing a bunch of magic at the end of episode 2 is explained by saying that by that point, the Battler we see is meta-Battler, who is allowed to see magic, not piece-Battler. Not sure if the threshold is the scene where Battler's getting drunk or the moment Battler enters the study, the main difference being whether Genji telling Battler to come to the study where all will be revealed is real or not)

Battler being the murderer in episode 5 doesn't work because Virgilia red-texted that Battler is never the murderer, but let's sidestep that. What exactly is Battler's theory about the deaths? Is he saying that he yelled, getting Erika out to check her seals, and then killed them before anyone else showed up, or did he never actually kill anyone, with the family going along with Battler's plan to fake their deaths to trick Erika, and then they die sometime between then and the trial? Actually, thinking about it, I like that theory. Battler isn't the murderer, since he's only behind the fake murders, with the real murders being able to happen by anyone at any point later, and it involves everyone in the family getting together to plot a way to gently caress with Erika. I dismissed "everyone is working together to gently caress with Battler" because who's going to allow themselves to be killed over that, but here the plan doesn't involve any actual deaths, up until the real murderer shows up to ruin things. I say that, but if Battler's the 19-year-old baby but isn't the murderer, why would he tell Natsuhi to wait in the closet? I could continue to think about the identity of the 19-year-old baby (or the person claiming to be the 19-year-old baby, at least), but I want to actually finish writing this post soon.

I think, despite trying to avoid it because these games are loooooong, I'm going to have to reread episodes 1-4 if I want to really theorize. I'll leave off with a scene I remember that seems weird: what was up with the scene in episode 2 where Kinzo asks Shannon to transcribe his will and says he'll explain everything to her (before the camera cuts away because of course it does), considering both he and Natsuhi are dead at that point?

Actually, I lied, I'll leave off with this:

Gaius Marius posted:

Voice acting is bad

<Die the Death!> <Sentence to Death!> <Great Equalizer is The Death!>

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Erika is in fact the best. Let's all love Erika Furudo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I do not care for Erika furudou

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Erika rules, without her the latter half of Umineko would be far less fun.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I like Erika's existence, she's fun and hateable, a better villain than just like "people who are dicks' like Krauss or what have you

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Krause is a goddamn visionary

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

Krause is a goddamn visionary

well you've read more than I have, maybe he does something interesting later (or unbeknownst to me at this time)

I mean I know the game is about like cycles of abuse and people who are products of their environment and all but most all of the adults are just awful in one way or another

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

He's got some big deals coming in. The best deals.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

If Umineko took place 30 years later Krauss would 100% be a bitcoin guy

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

"Is Kinzo a libertarian" - the greatest thread in the history of forums, locked by a moderator after 12,239 pages of heated debate

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

2024, Feel The Bern

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

lmao

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Nate RFB posted:

Erika is in fact the best. Let's all love Erika Furudo.

In fact those who don't love Erika should be probated for thread derailment. :v:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Maybe it’s because I played through four Trails/Kiseki games in two months but Utawarerumono MoD/MoT is giving me major Trails vibes.

Also some Suikoden vibes.

Loving these games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Mask of Deception in particular puts a huge focus on showing you how the world works in all its nuances, down to the very specific methods of preparing food and what not, so I could see drawing a parallel to Trails world building in that way

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Procrastine posted:

If Umineko took place 30 years later Krauss would 100% be a bitcoin guy

erika would have a youtube channel

"idiot child gets DESTROYED by facts and logic"

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Stexils posted:

erika would have a youtube channel

"idiot child gets DESTROYED by facts and logic"

lol ben furudo-sama the boy genius

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Anyone have thoughts on Silver Case 2425? It sounded familiar and I checked my shelf and I bought the PS4 version of the first game a while back. But now that game and the sequel will be collected on the Switch. And I prefer VNs in bed. I'm thinking of picking it up.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Speaking of Umineko, going back and watching some of the earlier chapters sure casts some of it in a different light, doesn't it? (Umineko full endgame spoilers, kind of, mostly, don't read it) Kanon showing his "sword" to Jessica and Beatrice belittling it as not being able to cut anything and him as having revealed himself as a "subhuman", oof. :(

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Just wait till you get back to the scene where Kanon shows everyone his wound!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I haven't touched Ciconia at all, how is that turning out? Worth getting in ground-ish floor on?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I mean it's at the exact place it was on release

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Hopefully someone has played it since then and can give some opinions on it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ciconia rules.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It was good but it's basically only just started and there's still no confirmation on when the series will resume. I think it'd probably worth waiting until there's at least a date for the second one.

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It was good but it's basically only just started and there's still no confirmation on when the series will resume. I think it'd probably worth waiting until there's at least a date for the second one.

Speaking as someone who really loves Ciconia, I think this is your best bet. It's really dense (particularly because it's planned for four installments rather than eight) and it'd be easy to forget things if you don't have Phase 2 fairly soon after Phase 1.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Speaking of Umineko, going back and watching some of the earlier chapters sure casts some of it in a different light, doesn't it? (Umineko full endgame spoilers, kind of, mostly, don't read it) Kanon showing his "sword" to Jessica and Beatrice belittling it as not being able to cut anything and him as having revealed himself as a "subhuman", oof. :(

Episode 2 is really not subtle about it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ciconia is the best. things feel more confident, its willing to jump into things way more quickly. lgbt stuff is more at the forefront this one too.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

So, I've been going through Baldr Sky, and just finished the first half (the first 3 routes), and I do have to say that I have been enjoying it a good deal.

I like the main cast in particular.
  • Surprising for me considering my early impressions, but I actually like Kou. In his high school days, he recognizes that the girls are into him (except Sora and Rain) rather than fall into the generic clueless harem hero trope. The way he slowly regains memories works better than the typical "regain memories all at once" deal. Plus, the memory loss is actually justified right off the bat. And I like how the status of the memories affects his competence, where he feels generally much more mature in the third route than the first.
  • Rain is cool. I like how despite what she says about supporting with Kou no matter what, the second and third routes directly challenge that and show its not literally true. I also like how she plays wingman for Kou with Nanoha but not for Chinatsu. Also snarky Rain is best Rain.
  • Nanoha is nice. "Childhood friend" that also checks most of the boxes in the "housewife quality" list is an overdone anime trope, but the VN is careful about giving her actual personality. Being a crybaby, concerned about her parents' legacy (and thus being very political), and naive gets her to being sufficiently distinct.
  • Chinatsu is good. Political radicalization, losing one's senses, along with a truckload of baggage. I think this comes together to make the most interesting route so far. Compared to the others, though, she has a pretty big gap between her modern self and her past self. It all makes sense given the context of the story though, and leads to a nice initial draw.
  • Aki seems pretty fun. She hasn't had her route yet obviously, but in general I like her chillness. I also like that she is easy for a person intermediate in Japanese to understand because of her slow speech. :)
  • Makoto is cool. I like that she seems to be an actual decent representation of a neurodivergent person in Japanese media. Though her later Dominion miko appearance will still need to be judged.
  • Sora is ... fine. She initially appeared to not feel super interesting, though I do like that later on it seems to be showing her with more defined traits, like being able to befriend people very easily and probably as an extension having a large network of people she knows.
  • Masa is also just fine. He doesn't really do much though, both in the main story and the flashbacks,.
  • I'm not huge on Kurihara. Presumably he has cyberbrain syndrome, and in contrast to Makoto it appears to be "that means he goes eeeevilll and craaazzy at times" with those times getting larger and larger.
  • The Fenrir squad is cool. I don't really have much more to say about them though.
  • Noi is fine, though I don't have any strong feelings.
  • I like how Seira looks like a generic anime villain while also not being evil. But I guess that is the only thought I really have about her.
  • Rain's dad is yet another "fine, I guess."
  • Gilberto is such a boring villain. He is just "I am super evil and exist for the purpose of being evil."
  • Father Gregory, on the other hand, has tons of personality and is great.

Miscellaneous things I like:
  • There is actually a gay relationship (Noi and Shizel) without them being painted as bad for it. It is unfortunate that this needs to be a point, but :japan:
  • I generally enjoy combat in the game, and it usually does a good job at breaking up the story.
  • The Assembler is a really good macguffin. It is super emblematic of the overall plot focus on politcs and its central political and very dangerous nature.
  • I like how anti-AI is depicted as wrong but also very understandable (though early on the VN does shove into your face "THESE ARE THE BAD GUYS")
  • I like how Nanoha's route and Chinatsu's routes mirror each other. Nanoha wants Kou to quit being a soldier when he can't, and Kou wants Chinatsu to quit being a soldier when she can't. Nanoha brings Kou back to the nostalgic past, while Kou brings Chinatsu back to her nostalgic past. Nanoha is working with Kou's enemy, while Kou is working for Chinatsu's enemy. In a lot of ways, Kou takes part of the relationship that Nanoha occupied in her own route.
  • In general I like how you experience events from different perspectives while the same events pretty much happen each time.

Miscellaneous things I don't like
  • I wish there were more buttons usable in battle for more weapons, with the weapons slots being only ranged or close ranged. The number of times I've been frustrated by doing a dash weapon when I didn't want to or used another weapon when I wanted to do the dash weapon is too high.
  • I hate when the story is like "there is a tense thing so Kou needs to act quickly" and then Kou wastes time doing other poo poo.
  • On a similar note, the time in the Rain route where Gilbert just strolls in, steals Rain's assembler data, and strolls out, without Kou or Rain doing jack poo poo was really frustrating.
  • Having to redo nearly identical scenes in later routes is frustrating. Particularly with Chinatsu's route, where you are forced to reread a bunch during the first like six chapters.
  • On a similar note, I know I have to do reminiscence now and while I haven't done it yet I'll give a bonus strike here for it.
  • Mentioned in the things I like, but having all the flashback villains basically be anti-AI is annoying.

Oh wow that is a whole lot of redaction. Woops. :v:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So after finishing Utawarerumono MoD/MoT I’m going through withdrawal because of how much I absolutely loved these characters, including how funny they could be. They’re probably one of my favorite cast of any game, VN or otherwise. Up there with the Mass Effect gang.

So what’s another VN that people can recommend that has really great characters and chemistry, with a lot of heart and humor? It can be any genre.

I’ve already played
Umineko/Higurashi
Steins Gate / Chaos Child
Fata Morgana
Zero Escape/ AI/ Ever 17/ Remember 11
Ace Attorney
13 Sentinels (though that’s more an adventure game)
Danganrompa
Hatoful Boyfriend

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

theblackw0lf posted:

So what’s another VN that people can recommend that has really great characters and chemistry, with a lot of heart and humor? It can be any genre.

I think Baldr Sky so far has good character chemistry and has some nice slice of life moments.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waltzing Along posted:

Anyone have thoughts on Silver Case 2425? It sounded familiar and I checked my shelf and I bought the PS4 version of the first game a while back. But now that game and the sequel will be collected on the Switch. And I prefer VNs in bed. I'm thinking of picking it up.

I like it, but with some caveats. I haven't tried it on the Switch specifically.

On the plus side, there are some strong moments in the writing, the blending of graphical styles is interesting, and the music is great.

On the other, it's a pretty slow boil (not exceptionally slow by VN standards), the writing can be borderline incomprehensible at times, and it can be hard to see what's going on sometimes. There is an exceptionally boring segment in decoyman that gets repeated while being about three times as long in lifecut (I think the first and last chapters, I don't 100% remember).

It's got a very suda story, for better or worse. If you could get past how flimsy say, Killer7's story was in places for how strong it was in others, you'll probably like Silver Case.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 8, 2021

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

Shibuya Shuffle should work.

Slightly outside the strict VN definition, Pyre is a good one for Mass Effect vibes, and Tales From Borderlands is great.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

So after finishing Utawarerumono MoD/MoT I’m going through withdrawal because of how much I absolutely loved these characters, including how funny they could be. They’re probably one of my favorite cast of any game, VN or otherwise. Up there with the Mass Effect gang.

I’ve already played
Umineko/Higurashi
Steins Gate / Chaos Child
Fata Morgana
Zero Escape/ AI/ Ever 17/ Remember 11
Ace Attorney
13 Sentinels (though that’s more an adventure game)
Danganrompa
Hatoful Boyfriend

i've found the cast of Your Turn To Die is overall well written and likeable. its a death game and unfinished but even when there's confrontations, scheming, or people acting extremely irrationally its for understandable reasons and character motivations rather than people being petty idiots (as opposed to, like, "i know there's a murderer on the loose and four people are dead BUT I MUST USE THE BATHROOM ALONE").

disclaimer: i've only finished chapter 1 but i haven't seen anyone complaining about it going to poo poo in later chapters so

e: corrected the name

Stexils fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 8, 2021

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Stexils posted:

"i know there's a murderer on the loose and four people are dead BUT I MUST USE THE BATHROOM ALONE"

Ryukishi07! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

was that actually a part of umineko? i honestly don't remember it's been years since i played them