Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

i can identify. I’m nauseous about sending baby to day care for the first time in September, but hopefully that’s enough time for some data to come in so that it’s known to be safe (lol) and I can just be regular nauseous about daycare, or poo poo gets bad and I can continue to wfh (and go back to regular background COVID anxiety)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Another Bill posted:

https://twitter.com/CBCCanada/status/1408451703284944898

They had 'orange shirt day' at school this week to remember the missing children from Canada's residential schools (those 751 bodies are at only one of about 140 sites), and I got to sit my 10 year old down to lay it all out.

I explained how the church and the government used the police to take children away from their families and thousands of them died over the course of 100 years. And that it ended around the same time I finished high school, so it's not ancient history. She took it all in stride, because they've been taught about "reconciliation" at school since Kindergarten.

Anyways, it felt good to finally drop the bullshit and be honest with her about Canada's history.

My 6 year old was able to explain to her grandparents today that the American Revolution was a war to preserve slavery.

:feelsgood:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

My 6 year old was able to explain to her grandparents today that the American Revolution was a war to preserve slavery.

:feelsgood:

That doesn't sound exactly right but I'll let it slide.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

It was for the southern states, at least.

Also for anyone with younger kids I highly recommend Jon Klassen and his Hat books. My girls love the trilogy and I'm adding Kill Bill sound effects to my nightly readings.

Also click clack moo for a book on animals going on strike

HiHo ChiRho has issued a correction as of 14:57 on Jul 5, 2021

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I appreciate duck does not arbitrate in good faith

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

It's definitely one of the main reasons the Southern States did it. The British took advantage of it and offered freedom to any slaves that made it behind British lines. By the end of the war approximately 100k slaves escaped America's tyranny. Over 20k slaves joined the British Army and fought bravely for the cause of freedom and dignity for all humanity.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

It's definitely one of the main reasons the Southern States did it. The British took advantage of it and offered freedom to any slaves that made it behind British lines. By the end of the war approximately 100k slaves escaped America's tyranny. Over 20k slaves joined the British Army and fought bravely for the cause of freedom and dignity for all humanity.

sorry, I watched Hamilton on my kids' Disney+ account and I know for a fact that Busta was just pretending to work for the British

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I'll add that in places such as Hudson Valley in NY state there were "Sons of Liberty" landlords trying to recreate Scottish feudal estates, and that generally made the tenant farmers more sympathetic to the British:

quote:

An uprising of tenants in 1755 on the Livingston and Van Rensselaer manors, at the beginning of the Seven Years’ War, ushered in a quarter century of havoc in the Hudson River region. Not all landlords were imperious and heartless, but those who were learned how intensely they were hated. In 1755, Joseph Paine, a longtime tenant, girdled and felled about 1,200 trees on Livingston Manor and told Robert Livingston’s servants dispatched to confront him “that the trees were his and he would go and destroy the timber as he pleased and Robert Livingston [could] kiss his a__s.”

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Stewart v. Somerset in 1775 in England was a case in which the ruling magistrate said that slavery was not recognized by English Common Law. As far as actual legal precedent is concerned, it was a narrow ruling and it didn't really outlaw slavery in England, but in the public imagination the ruling meant slavery in England was abolished.

Slavers in America are some of the dumbest, most paranoiac, inbred, gap-toothed pieces of human poo poo that ever existed. They imagined slave revolts out of nothing and killed thousands over it. So, of course, the Somerset ruling scared the living poo poo out of them. They overreacted to the ruling itself, but Britain outlawed slavery in its colonies in 1807, so they weren't wrong to fear emancipation if they remained a colony.

The world and North America in particular would have been a much better place then and now if Britain had put down the American Revolution, and a British victory would have certainly resulted in far less human suffering for Africans in bondage across this cursed continent.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I'm sure it was a thing, but broadly speaking my understanding was that the south wasn't really even that enthusiastic about the war initially and had to be bullied into it by northern merchants.

The result of the war was to perpetuate slavery, obviously.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm sure it was a thing, but broadly speaking my understanding was that the south wasn't really even that enthusiastic about the war initially and had to be bullied into it by northern merchants.

The result of the war was to perpetuate slavery, obviously.

Most of Britain's micro-aggressions against the colonies were in Boston, but Virginia was really gung-ho about the revolution. Like the civil war didn't start in 1860 because Lincoln was going to ban slavery, but because the south realized that they were losing their grip on politics and a future government could ban slavery. The Virginia planters wanted to secure independence before Britain tried to stop them from using slavery, not right when it happened.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

sullat posted:

Most of Britain's micro-aggressions against the colonies were in Boston, but Virginia was really gung-ho about the revolution. Like the civil war didn't start in 1860 because Lincoln was going to ban slavery, but because the south realized that they were losing their grip on politics and a future government could ban slavery. The Virginia planters wanted to secure independence before Britain tried to stop them from using slavery, not right when it happened.

Yeah it's not like they were coasting along as happy colonial subjects right until Abolitionism gained ground in Britain. But the threat to slavery was absolutely a huge grievance in a list of grievances against Britain, and it's one that gets ignored or papered over with patriotic bullshit.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I guess I was thinking more of Georgia. I forget how important Virginia was to colonial American politics.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Wrong thread

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Also for anyone with younger kids I highly recommend Jon Klassen and his Hat books. My girls love the trilogy and I'm adding Kill Bill sound effects to my nightly readings.

I don't know why, but I read all Jon Klassen books to my kids in a flat monotone.

That said, I always read Beatrix Potter's Jeremy Fisher like Terry Jones in the Whizzo chocolate sketch.

Weirdly, they're the only silly voices they tolerate.

Does anyone else have specific story voices?

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
I read my kid the current in game apex legends comic while trying to do the voices. Caustic was the only one I think I managed some consistency. Fuse, the Australian, got my 'all the accents at once' voice. Thank God he only had like 3 lines.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

I don't know why, but I read all Jon Klassen books to my kids in a flat monotone.

That said, I always read Beatrix Potter's Jeremy Fisher like Terry Jones in the Whizzo chocolate sketch.

Weirdly, they're the only silly voices they tolerate.

Does anyone else have specific story voices?

I read pete the cat books using my mitch hedberg voice

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my voices are:

Reducto (Harvey Birdman) for any wizard or old man of any sort really.

Jiggle Billy (athf) for anyone who farms or gives off a yokel vibe of any sort.

Carl (athf) for any agitated city folks or people who seem untrustworthy.

and finally, the voice Patton Oswalt does when he tags the "Liquor Ads" bit on Feelin Kinda Patton whenever there's an uptight rich person.

DR FRASIER KRANG has issued a correction as of 05:06 on Jul 6, 2021

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

HiHo ChiRho posted:

related, More Spaghetti, I Say is a dark tale of familial addiction, redemption and inexorable relapse and the text should be approached as such before bed time songs and hugs and kisses

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

meanolmrcloud posted:

i can identify. I’m nauseous about sending baby to day care for the first time in September, but hopefully that’s enough time for some data to come in so that it’s known to be safe (lol) and I can just be regular nauseous about daycare, or poo poo gets bad and I can continue to wfh (and go back to regular background COVID anxiety)

Can definitely relate to this.

My son's mother and I decided we wanted to use daycare as a way of prepping our little one for pre-school. He's done awesome (it's been about 15 months now), but I definitely get anxiety just wondering where the hell his fingers are going.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

meanolmrcloud posted:

My son has been in daycare for most of the pandemic here in Sweden. The Swedish strategy for dealing with the pandemic has basically been to pretend that nothing is happening and issue “recommendations” that nobody follows.

My wife works with the COVID testing here and is very familiar with Swedish statistics. And there’s no real need to worry about kids in daycare. You see a bunch of articles about how children under the age of 18 are getting infected and spreading the virus. That’s true but is mostly teenagers. Younger kids are remarkably bad at getting and spreading COVID.

We (Sweden) didn’t do poo poo about the pandemic and kept daycares open the whole time. My wife’s from China and we have a bunch of friends in Wuhan so she takes this very seriously. But since she works with this and knows exactly how the virus spreads she doesn’t have and problem with sending our son to daycare.

Should probably be low on your list of things to worry about.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Eh. That novel virus we don't know everything about with symptoms we don't understand and whose long term effects are unknown. Yeah it's probably ok to be infected with it don't worry.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
yeah, who ever heard of a respiratory illness spreading in a daycare

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Hedenius posted:

My son has been in daycare for most of the pandemic here in Sweden. The Swedish strategy for dealing with the pandemic has basically been to pretend that nothing is happening and issue “recommendations” that nobody follows.

My wife works with the COVID testing here and is very familiar with Swedish statistics. And there’s no real need to worry about kids in daycare. You see a bunch of articles about how children under the age of 18 are getting infected and spreading the virus. That’s true but is mostly teenagers. Younger kids are remarkably bad at getting and spreading COVID.

We (Sweden) didn’t do poo poo about the pandemic and kept daycares open the whole time. My wife’s from China and we have a bunch of friends in Wuhan so she takes this very seriously. But since she works with this and knows exactly how the virus spreads she doesn’t have and problem with sending our son to daycare.

:chloe:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
my wife thinks she felt the baby kick/move for the first time, and it was when a Weezer song started playing on the radio.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
:sever:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hedenius posted:

lmao, oh word?

shut the gently caress up

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Breakfast variety tip: Trader Joe's has a Shakshuka starter that's real good for $2. You add your own eggs and extras (tradition is pita and feta, but I find it's really good with scoopable tortilla chips) Easily feeds three.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Breakfast variety tip: Trader Joe's has a Shakshuka starter that's real good for $2. You add your own eggs and extras (tradition is pita and feta, but I find it's really good with scoopable tortilla chips) Easily feeds three.

I always look at it wanting to try it. I’m gonna see how it goes. I’m sure my kid will not eat it but we played the long game and now she will eat more but it’s because we have set themes every day so we can repeat dinners and now she’ll eat spinach so if I have one 2021 success it’s that.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

first day of daycare - wife is back to work after the parental leave is done and I go back this Monday

I am sad and paranoid

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

pigz posted:

Fuse, the Australian, got my 'all the accents at once' voice.

That's one accent I can nail 100% of the time.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Reducto (Harvey Birdman) for any wizard or old man of any sort really.

Ooh, that's a good one. That'll go well in some Enid Blyton.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I hate Pete the Cat, but that's some brilliance there.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Hedenius posted:

I’m sure you’re telling yourself that to feel better, but you’re wrong as hell and even more so as Delta and possibly Lambda dominate the less deadly Original Recipe Covid. Preteens absolutely get Covid and can have disastrous health outcomes. Don’t spread that Emily Oster “kids are immune, ship ‘em off to the Covid mines” energy and expect to be taken seriously by anyone paying actual attention.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Good soup! posted:

first day of daycare - wife is back to work after the parental leave is done and I go back this Monday

I am sad and paranoid

i'm not good with words when it comes to offering consolation, but i hope that it works out for you and your family, and that you all stay safe.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my anxiety notches up daily as the school year approaches. I can taste it.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

first day of daycare went well, only a bit of crying, but she napped off and on, played some but was dead tired by the time she got home

i will still be sad and paranoid for the foreseeable future

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Good soup! posted:

first day of daycare went well, only a bit of crying, but she napped off and on, played some but was dead tired by the time she got home

i will still be sad and paranoid for the foreseeable future

Good to hear.

The stories my son tells me at daycare alleviates my own paranoia - hoping it does the same for you.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yeah it will take some time for me to get more comfortable, but it has been nice to pick her up the past few days and the lady running the program is holding her and got her all giggling and poo poo and she isn't overtired and not super hungry and changed and clean and all that just please keep this tiny human-in-training alive until I can grab her lol

We moved on to solid food and mannnn this kid fuckin loves cherries, little dirt bag is now grabbing the drat spoon and being all ILL DO IT MYSELF at the moment, calm down homie, gotta have another spoon on hand to distract this crazy person

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Lmao, i remember when my kid first started getting cranky when i wouldn't let her hold her own spoon and(/or) feed herself :kimchi:

It's evolved to where she loves just having a spoon to parade around with if she's not busy doing anything else. If she doesn't have one she'll come up to me and hold a hand out towards the spoon cabinet, then i ask "do you want a ... SPOOOOOOON?" and her eyes light up as i lift her to the cabinet so she can pick which color of babby spoon she wants.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Wife had previously discussed cops being bastards (in different words) to the 6yo last year due to current events, and then today for other reasons he asked about slavery, and while explaining it he then was like "it's bad like that time when a police was mean just because of someone having darker skin"

Okay kid, yeah, that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

My kid loves Pokemon, just like I did, but now as an adult I have all these questions about it, like:

"Why is it okay to kidnap the animals and remove them from their habitats?"

"Why do they have to fight each other? How is this different from a show/game where teenagers take dogs from people's yards and then make them fight?"