Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-xTDJ8Y8bo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Madness was the last good ska band, and even they suck compared to literally anything made in Jamaica in the 60s.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Troi and Lwaxanna need to get punted down a level. Otherwise spot-on.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

O’brien also doesn’t gently caress up. The universe just conspires to gently caress him over every chance it gets.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

chglcu posted:

O’brien also doesn’t gently caress up. The universe just conspires to gently caress him over every chance it gets.
Yeah throw him at the bottom as a special case.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mind the walrus posted:

Is lwaxanna the woman beside troi

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is lwaxanna the woman beside troi
Get a load of this nerd who can't recognize Lwaxana Troi on sight

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Fuckin nerd can't even tell a Bajoran from a Betazoid.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Betacuckazoid

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The fact that I don't know her is a huge point in my favor

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

SpacePig posted:

Fuckin nerd can't even tell a Bajoran from a Betazoid.

I bet they couldn't even pick out Brunt from a lineup of Weyouns.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Probably can’t even tell Gabriel Bell from Benny Russell.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

my only friend

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

chglcu posted:

Madness was the last good ska band, and even they suck compared to literally anything made in Jamaica in the 60s.

Sure thing, gramps. :allears:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

chglcu posted:

He fucks up all the time. He's there to be a fuckup so he can learn and grow.

They outsource his emotional work to Keiko, though, and that's why a lot of misogynist trek nerds hate her.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jaxyon posted:

He fucks up all the time. He's there to be a fuckup so he can learn and grow.

They outsource his emotional work to Keiko, though, and that's why a lot of misogynist trek nerds hate her.

I would say she's written misogynistically. Like she's what someone who hates women thinks women are like. She's a caricature of 'nagging housewife'.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Regarde Aduck posted:

I would say she's written misogynistically. Like she's what someone who hates women thinks women are like. She's a caricature of 'nagging housewife'.

That sounds about right. It's valid for them to have a bad marriage if that's what the writing demands, and even for her to be more at fault for it than him (though he clearly shares in it), but boy is it executed in a sexist style that even feels outmoded for the 1990s.

Or maybe not, thinking of some other 1990s shows I've watched recently.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Regarde Aduck posted:

To an extent, in that she's written so that she has to do the emotional labor in her relationship, both her own and her husbands. Which is very accurate to how many real world relationships go. And then the men in the relationships often resent the women for doing so, and so many viewers resent Keiko.

Look at the DS9 episode where Lwaxana is affecting the whole station with her emotions, and everyone is acting jealous. O'brien acts like a child and tries to poo poo all over Keiko's very cool and fullfilling job. Then tries to poo poo all over her male coworker as if she was cheating on him. She rightfully call him out on how lovely he's acting.

Then, at the end of the episode, they make sure to point out that medical testing shows that O'Brien was never affected by Lwaxana's mental stuff, he was just being a prick.

For me the misogyny comes in that she is often really thinly characterized and mostly exists as someone for her husband's storylines to happen to, rather than given a lot in her own right.

Also, I'm pretty sure they asked a woman of Chinese descent to play a woman of Japanese descent, and that's certainly a thing.

Edit: i've seen people refer to her hate in the fandom as a Skyler White effect and that seems pretty true

Jaxyon has a new favorite as of 09:31 on Jul 6, 2021

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Jaxyon posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure they asked a woman of Chinese descent to play a woman of Japanese descent, and that's certainly a thing.

Look, casting directors in the west still have trouble with this so I'll let it slide, as someone half Japanese I'm just happy when there are Asians on screen period and they are allowed to act like people and not inscrutable honor obsessed robots or punchlines to a joke.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

At some point I started to look out for TNGs ridiculous glasses. Lots of the classes they used in TNG are plant vases or candle holders.
I guess living in fully automated luxury gay space communism makes everything so easy you have to make life harder other ways to keep it interesting.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Captain Kosmos posted:

At some point I started to look out for TNGs ridiculous glasses. Lots of the classes they used in TNG are plant vases or candle holders.
I guess living in fully automated luxury gay space communism makes everything so easy you have to make life harder other ways to keep it interesting.

Yeah, that's why they invented the Holodeck.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

You can get these raktajino mugs from DS9 online. Just search for Hotjo travel mugs. I’ve got two and they’re legit. The wide base makes then drat near impossible to spill.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Retrowave Joe posted:

You can get these raktajino mugs from DS9 online. Just search for Hotjo travel mugs. I’ve got two and they’re legit. The wide base makes then drat near impossible to spill.

Sure, but people want the real Ben Sisko glass

I have these, and they're a really really nice glass for sipping whisky out of.

https://bladerunnerglass.com/?lang=en

You may have seen one in the hands of someone of significantly lower moral character first though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When do we get to the episode where they throw Jellico out into space

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Keiko's main issue is that since she counts as a 'special guest' character rather than a core cast member she doesn't show up unless she has something to do, and 90% of the time that's being a pain to O'Brien. (Then there's the time she got possessed by a demon) As well as most writers having no idea how to write a healthy, stable romantic relationship.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

rain dogs posted:

my only friend

i've come to talk with you again

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That movie did a "this is fine" reference lmao

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Captain Kosmos posted:

Apparently the top left one is an actual maritime cup.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
The Algorithm was a mistake...

https://i.imgur.com/cAyXkaI.mp4

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Oh please, as if those shirts weren't made specifically for racist shitheads to buy at truck stops.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy5pJCMrnh0

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Oh please, as if those shirts weren't made specifically for racist shitheads to buy at truck stops.

Yeah, substitute "Smith" and most don't even parse correctly. Not to mention how embarrassing something like that would be to wear even to a family reunion.

Unless the algorithm found shirts that already had his last name in them, and even that would be a stretch.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cat Hatter posted:

Yeah, substitute "Smith" and most don't even parse correctly. Not to mention how embarrassing something like that would be to wear even to a family reunion.

Unless the algorithm found shirts that already had his last name in them, and even that would be a stretch.

you have never spent time near a family that refers to itself as a clan, apparently. those shirts absolutely track with most last names, but White isn't one of them... well, at least not in a positive way. Pretty sure no member of the family wants to be referred to as part of the White Clan

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches