Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Also am I blind and didn't notice or is there no option to adjust crouch sensitivity in Payday 2? I have a real problem with the game just deciding that I'm "crouched" if I so much as slouch slightly below my calibrated height. I have to literally stand up stock-straight with my chest all stuck out in order to run sometimes, like I can't just stand in a relaxed pose or the game thinks I'm crouching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

King Vidiot posted:

Also am I blind and didn't notice or is there no option to adjust crouch sensitivity in Payday 2? I have a real problem with the game just deciding that I'm "crouched" if I so much as slouch slightly below my calibrated height. I have to literally stand up stock-straight with my chest all stuck out in order to run sometimes, like I can't just stand in a relaxed pose or the game thinks I'm crouching.

There is a height calibration in the VR settings on the VR menu to the left, I've had it happen a few times where somehow my floor got hosed up and all the sudden I was crouchwalking everywhere and had no idea why I was moving slow until my friend mentioned it. Re-doing the guardian calibration then running the in-game height calibration usually cleared it up for me.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Yeah I played for a whole day wondering why I was so slow not realizing the game thought I was crouched the whole time, check your floor/belt height settings if possible.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm6IaIp9CnY

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Just picked up the Quest 2 with the elite strap and I'm about ready to get ahead of the inevitable, pack the strap straight back into the box and find a third party solution.

After reading about the ups and downs of the strap's durability for a while, holding it in person just makes me wonder how these absurdly flimsy side brackets don't crumble under normal usage. I've never felt anything feel less sturdy and I've used several Playstation branded peripherals!!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

My elite strap is holding up well , after 8 months? It's flexible, that's the key to not breaking*.

* Or at least it's intended to be flexible.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Flexibility is its strong suit, some of them just become way too flexible!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Hp reverb g2 is down to $450 at walmart, just grabbed one for myself

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
This is an offsite thing but this post on reddit is kind of interesting.

OP confesses to indulging in dumb stuff in VR like talking back to (non-interactive) characters in games, and it turns out that actually quite a lot of people seem to do the same!

e: Also makes me think whiteboards and markers should be mandatory in every VR game

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 12, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I absolutely gave the Combine a number of middle fingers, isn't that the whole point of the Index's finger recognition? And I slapped a corpse's head back and forth quite a few times for shooting me.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I sometimes talk to guys in Alyx or whatever. Mostly I’ll just wave my hands around or shoo them off and gesture wildly. Especially in the bits where someone is just talking to you for a bit. Lots of nodding or shaking my head.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
If you don’t do the macarena while waiting for your opponent to serve in Eleven, can you even call yourself a VR gamer???

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm only a couple of chapters into Alyx but I've given every friendly NPC an enthusiastic thumbs up. Hadn't considered middle fingers... I guess they'd be possible on Quest controllers?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I would just blast the friendly NPC's in H3VR Return of the Rotwieners whenever they made a bad pun. Sometimes leading to a reset of the run.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I say things I’d say if I were a badass action hero mostly

I was pretty quiet during Alyx because it was creepy as poo poo most of the time.

Speaking of, are there any games that react to your real life voice? Like enemies alerting if you talk or something like that?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I was pretty quiet during Alyx because it was creepy as poo poo most of the time.

Speaking of, are there any games that react to your real life voice? Like enemies alerting if you talk or something like that?

Phasmophobia.

My best encounter was when I was new and we had a ghost that responds to solo people and I drew the short start.

*Turns on spiritbox*
"Hello"
"KILL"
*door slams, lights die,, ghost appears and starts walking straight at me*
"Alright, I'll be outside. You guys can get the last clue"

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm pretty sure Alyx does that, I was curious during the Jeff section so I yelled "hey Jeff!" and he immediately murdered me

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

The Eyes Have It posted:

Seems to me that's an indicator that in general in VR there's a lot of engagement just waiting to happen. I mean, people are independently indulging in this behavior all by themselves -- even with content that is not actually interactive -- just because it feels natural and good to do it.

Every time I take the headset off after a session of Blade & Sorcery I have a moment where I reflect on the things I did to the npcs :stare:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Doesn't saints & sinners do that as well? Though it's a toggle-able option so you may not have noticed or turned it on.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Really tempted to pull the trigger on Tales of Glory or Into the Radius, but single developer perpetually in development games make me nervous.

e: same with Blade and Sorcery too, but that's not on sale so there is no rush there.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
FWIW, having just played the entirety of Into the Radius, I will agree that parts of it are janky as gently caress, but it is a really solid experience. I clocked in at 30 hours total and there were some legitimate good "oh gently caress" moments from something jumping out when I wasn't expecting it. It aims for and really nails the S.T.A.L.K.E.R., but in VR vibe. Just like stalker some poo poo is not explained well so look up a tips article/video a bit after playing so you can kick yourself for not realizing poo poo sooner than I did.

If you can handle the jank and work around it, you'll enjoy yourself. I did dislike that after the ending, the option I chose apparently forced me into Ironman mode on the same save slot, completely nuking all my progress (and cash) so I couldn't go back to a previous save and gently caress around with weapons I didn't touch during the game. I want to play again, but it feels bad going from having all the money to literally nothing for now. Maybe in a year or so.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I tried to play Cosmodread and it seems like a real good game but it was too spooky...I couldn't do it.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
posting this here because I was curious about the Firewatch VR mod, but the person who made the Outer Wilds VR mod has a Patreon and if you become a patron you get access to an early build of their Firewatch VR mod https://patreon.com/raivr

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
I guess it's time to get back into phasmophobia. It's been awhile. Also, Sniper Elite comes out in 2 days. I hope it doesn't poo poo the bed, because I've been waiting for awhile for that one. I just want a good single player shooter in which I can just chill and snipe some nazis.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Did anyone ever figure out a good treadmill thing to let you just walk in VR without hitting the boundaries?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Several games allow you to use your voice to navigate dialogue trees. I never thought about it before, but I wish everyone would let you navigate in-game menus that way. It would instantly improve every menu experience so much. Now I wish flatscreen computers could be voice controlled.

Skyrim (via mod?) allows you to shout dragon shouts.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

LLSix posted:

Did anyone ever figure out a good treadmill thing to let you just walk in VR without hitting the boundaries?

Nope. They are all weird and fucky.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

LLSix posted:

The closest to something you can get and kinda-sorta-slightly works is the Kat Walk C: https://www.kat-vr.com/products/kat-walk-c

It currently is $1300 pre-shipping and has a 90 day lead time. There's dozens of profession and casual users on YouTube with them.

You see a lot of selection bias from people who just dropped that much money and hope on such a janky device, and the tell is that almost no one is still using it months after their initial unboxing.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Zero VGS posted:

The closest to something you can get and kinda-sorta-slightly works is the Kat Walk C: https://www.kat-vr.com/products/kat-walk-c

It currently is $1300 pre-shipping and has a 90 day lead time. There's dozens of profession and casual users on YouTube with them.

You see a lot of selection bias from people who just dropped that much money and hope on such a janky device, and the tell is that almost no one is still using it months after their initial unboxing.

lmao just push forward on the control stick.

like just don't get sick

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Zero VGS posted:

Do all VR treadmills make you walk like a dork? Or is it just something about their video?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

BrainDance posted:

Do all VR treadmills make you walk like a dork? Or is it just something about their video?

The combo of inverted walking physics and tiny little steps makes it look really weird.

The average walking stride length (from footstep to footstep) is something like 120 - 150 cm, and that thing is pretty small compared to that scale, so you have to take tiny baby steps to not walk off the thing. That one in particular also makes it seem like you just have to slide the dumb shoes, which is the opposite of how we normally walk: plant foot, heave body over fixed foot position, plant other foot. This treadmill makes you hold your body steady while you slide your feet around underneath yourself. Any of them that work that way rather than having an actual moving belt of some sort will have this weird look to it. It's kind of a similar effect to when in a video game or animation, the speed with which the character moves their legs doesn't match up with their actual rate of motion over the ground, so everything looks slidey and unrealistic.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/250820/view/2984179841817311398

quote:

Update Highlights

Today’s update includes improvements for Oculus and OpenXR users.

Oculus users will no longer be required to restart SteamVR every time the Oculus runtime needs to reconnect to the HMD. You may still see a slight disruption during reconnection, for example, the Oculus software may prompt you to re-enable Oculus link if appropriate. To minimize these disruptions, please follow Oculus guidelines for optimal link and air link usage: https://support.oculus.com/articles/headsets-and-accessories/oculus-link/index-oculus-link. If you are using a third-party application for wireless connectivity, please consult with that developer's support resources.

Support for OpenXR continues to improve. Oculus Quest and Windows Mixed Reality controllers now have consistent positions across OpenXR implementations.

Index Users: Please unplug controllers during gameplay, as pulling the charge cable at an angle may cause damage. If you suspect damage to your controller's USB-C connector, please contact Steam Support. Developers and users who prefer wired controller workflows should consider using a "USB-C breakaway cable".

Full Update Notes

SteamVR:

Fixed Logitech VR Ink not being detected properly.

OpenXR:

Changed Touch controllers to use Facebook provided grip and aim offsets.
Enable OpenXR Grip pose for WMR controllers (requires WMR SteamVR driver update).
Fixed left thumbstick axis input for HP Reverb G2 controllers.

Oculus:

Increased robustness of error handling for Quest2 over both wired and air link. Connection loss to the HMD is now survivable in many cases.
Changed trigger and grip inputs to use raw values instead of filtered values. This should improve the behavior of rapid trigger pulls.
Added addition button textures to Quest2 controller model.
Fixed Oculus Rift S Left Grip Pose.

Valve Index:

Added a dismissible monthly reminder when wired controller activity is detected.
Fix regression (crash) when using RoomView3D.

SteamVR Home:

Avatar hands render as controllers when close to chaperone bounds.
Changed tutorials to show Rift S/Quest controller images if the controller type is unknown.

Linux:

Enable async-reprojection on compatible NVIDIA 470 series drivers.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That's good, SteamVR can be a pain with needing restarts sometimes, so if it can unfuck itself then that should make things less painful.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

A good down-conversion, or up-conversion. PCVR obviously looks a lot better but it does give off the feeling of being prettied up, rather than it being the lead platform. Quest is compromised but the cuts are commendable, textures detail holds up really well thanks to clever tiling techniques, but what's most telling is the geometry of the levels, which looks suspiciously close to even PCVR. There's some extra detail in stuff like rubble but the world in general doesn't look completely barren by comparison, something many other ports have suffered from.

PSVR is so blurry that I'd probably go for Quest over it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I thought it was weird that the reviewer put the PSVR version more on par with the Pc and said the quest was the compromised version.

Visually the PSVR looks the worst of them, especially from a sharpness standpoint.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shine posted:

Nope. They are all weird and fucky.

https://www.deca.net/decamove/

Gets really decent reviews from people. Hopefully mine will be here soon but yeah. Not a treadmill but not joystick either.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Isn't that an entirely different thing though? The deca move is basically a hip tracker, I thought. Unless I misunderstood the locomotion talk about treadmills, etc.

With the move, body orientation and therefore movement direction can be unlocked from player point of view and/or controller direction. Something that doesn't really exist yet.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

EbolaIvory posted:

https://www.deca.net/decamove/

Gets really decent reviews from people. Hopefully mine will be here soon but yeah. Not a treadmill but not joystick either.

Can I set a hip thrust to sprint?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The Eyes Have It posted:

Isn't that an entirely different thing though? The deca move is basically a hip tracker, I thought. Unless I misunderstood the locomotion talk about treadmills, etc.

With the move, body orientation and therefore movement direction can be unlocked from player point of view and/or controller direction. Something that doesn't really exist yet.

It was actually decently hard to figure this out from the Decamove website, and even then I only got it when I watched a video of someone explaining (wrongly, it turns out!) how current VR movement works.
You have it right, ability to move (via joystick like normal) in the direction your hips are moving rather than your head or controller. I can see the use for that and am actually interested myself, though doesn't really seem to be anything like the slide-in-a-bowl locomotion solutions we have so far.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Bondematt posted:

Can I set a hip thrust to sprint?

Climbing stairs is as simple as

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1412570325041168387?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I have written on my calendar to expect my early order of the Deca Move back in June, but that's true of a couple other things too, now :v:

I hear you about it not being really clear up front what the move "is", exactly.