Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

[Flowers, huh? Might be nice to have some at the taxi office... but what's a Gil?]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Baka Wutai

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao actually there's a lot of these

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
decided that not only am I gonna 100% K2 I'm gonna do it before the main story ends and not bother with Premium Adventure or NG+, so since I'm pretty sure I only have the end boss fight with Goda in Kamurocho Hills left, my last few sessions have all been wandering around checking stuff off the completion list.

turns out I loving suck rear end at the minigames i didn't play much of! it took like 10 tries to get through the MLB pro substory last night, now my only remaining poo poo is mahjong, golf, and karaoke. gently caress Albatross Akagi's challenge, and gently caress Haruka's insane 10 bingos request. and i have no idea how i'm gonna 90% karaoke even once, let alone 5 times, since i think my all-time high is rank C and both majima and haruka keep brutally owning me if I invite them along.

also i have only 1 more mystery drink to find somewhere. christ

edit: the y5 hype has me, uh hyped for that. still think it's LAD next, but maybe after i'll head right into 5 and 6...

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Whoa

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

[Flowers, huh? Might be nice to have some at the taxi office... but what's a Gil?]

lmao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

COMPLETION - HOSTESS CLUBS

Aerith (Elise) - Can only be requested by Kiryu
Tifa (Jewel) - Can only be requested by Akiyama
Yuffie (Shine) - Can only be requested by Tanimura
Barret (Stardust) - Can only be requested by Saejima

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
probably the most annoying thing about Y4's story is they carry on that thing from 3 where someone beats a gun boss, then leaves them unconscious in reach of their gun and turn away from them, only for them to wake up and grab the gun. it sucked in 3 but then 4 does it like 3 times, twice in the same scene even.

Bear Retrieval Unit fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 6, 2021

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

probably the most annoying thing about Y4's story is they carry on that thing from 3 where someone beats a gun boss, then leaves them unconscious is reach of their gun and turn away from them, only for them to wake up and grab the gun. it sucked in 3 but then 4 does it like 3 times, twice in the same scene even.

lol it's something like six times, i think. it happens multiple times during the saejima rescue and several times after the final boss fight. also during half of them, they're the magic bullets that just hurt a little and don't kill anybody. i think there are also three people who fake their own deaths. there's a scene where arai says "You're always too late, Kiryu. That's why this kind of thing happens." or something similar, and that's what the entire end of the game feels like. like, none of those people actually had any kind of plan with all the weird, convoluted backstabbing betrayals, people being triple agents and everyone faking their deaths. none of them really seem to know which side anyone is on and which guns have the real bullets. you almost feel like daigo is going to say "none of us could really could think of anything better to do while you were gone, kiryu, we don't even know what this is. please stay here and hit us with bicycles before we run off the rails again."

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

(This 'Lifestream' sounds interesting... I could talk about that at the hostess club.)

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Having an antagonist who's super into final fantasy would be a pretty funny twist for y8.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
The war between Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy will finally be settled.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I don't really like akiyama's style in 5 but I just unlocked the goomba stomp and it rules.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I hope we get at least one more Ichiban game.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

RandolphCarter posted:

I hope we get at least one more Ichiban game.

https://twitter.com/thetojodojo/status/1340349616827604999?s=21

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i wonder why they made him 42 in his first appearance, considering he's supposed to be the refresh guy taking over from kiryu. he acts and looks like he is in his 20's so they don't really do anything with it.

he could've still gone to jail, just for a shorter time. they even extend his sentence in the game!

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
because someone younger wouldn't appreciate dragon quest.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I liked having him a little older, just for the scenes about him not even recognizing the world after 20 years in prison. It is weird that they made him even older than Kiryu was back in Yakuza 1 though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

An RPG where your whole party is some combination of middle aged and washed up is incredibly refreshing.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

LaD prequel game where Ichiban imagines Yakuza adventures in the time he was in prison before LaD kicks off proper.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

roomtone posted:

i wonder why they made him 42 in his first appearance, considering he's supposed to be the refresh guy taking over from kiryu. he acts and looks like he is in his 20's so they don't really do anything with it.

he could've still gone to jail, just for a shorter time. they even extend his sentence in the game!

not that i have any knowledge of actual organized crime in japan, but i'd think middle age is actually when they start to come into their own and get stuff like their own families. even kiryu and majima spend a lot of their 20s being up-and-comers and they're supposed to be exceptional, and most of the other young people who get stuff like officer positions seem like the product of either kiryu or kazama's manipulation. obviously haven't played LaD though, so i dunno.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i like that yakuza is the one japanese game series that features people of different ages too, i just think it's a weird choice for the new guy. i'm not saying he had to be 21, but he's only a few years younger than kiyru is. i suppose i would've started off with him in his early 30's and taken it from there if he's supposed to be around for a while.

Bongo Bill posted:

An RPG where your whole party is some combination of middle aged and washed up is incredibly refreshing.

mmhm, but this really only applies to the first portion of the game focusing on ichi, naba and adachi (and maybe saeko, although she's obviously younger she's still got the been through the poo poo aspect). other party members don't fit that, and the plot veers away from the washed up stuff as it goes.

anyway i'm not really complaining it's a good game and a good party. there's even something nice about how ichi is still exploding with enthusiasm and kindness at his age which might be less endearing if he was younger.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 6, 2021

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Yeah, tbh, but I dunno, maybe playing as a 50 year old Ichiban in a few years will be cool.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

tfw you get out of prison and there's five more dragon quest games

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I love how beat down by the world Adachi in particular is. Makes their continued struggles a bit more meaningful I think.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Nice.

Bongo Bill posted:

:hai:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Fungah! posted:

My favorite thing is one of the incidental conversations where he talks about that manga he liked and one of the other characters remarks on how it must suck that he now has to catch up on decades of arcs and Ichiban is just "nah, it went on a really long hiatus so it's not that bad"

rip Kentaro Miura

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

IGgy IGsen posted:

My favorite thing is one of the incidental conversations where he talks about that manga he liked and one of the other characters remarks on how it must suck that he now has to catch up on decades of arcs and Ichiban is just "nah, it went on a really long hiatus so it's not that bad"

rip Kentaro Miura

lmfao, but also i just realized that he has no idea what one piece is and has 20 years of catching up to do

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

lmao

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Fungah! posted:

digested overnight, got some thoughts on yakuza 5

the last boss comes out of nowhere too, the last time we see him he's grieving morinaga (who ig uess he killed? whatever) and then all of a sudden he's getting final battles with kiryu.

ppl bring this up a lot and they're 100% right but i like it because to me the point of aizawa being the final boss is less "oh no! this guy you barely care about is the ultimate secret bad guy" and more "oh no, even when he's as pulled out of the yakuza world as he can possibly get, living alone under an assumed name, kiryu and by extension the people he cares about are going to inevitably get wrapped up in an endless supply of Guys They Barely Care Abouts' schemes just by virtue of kiryu and his legend existing". which then directly feeds into yak6

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

absolutely anything posted:

ppl bring this up a lot and they're 100% right but i like it because to me the point of aizawa being the final boss is less "oh no! this guy you barely care about is the ultimate secret bad guy" and more "oh no, even when he's as pulled out of the yakuza world as he can possibly get, living alone under an assumed name, kiryu and by extension the people he cares about are going to inevitably get wrapped up in an endless supply of Guys They Barely Care Abouts' schemes just by virtue of kiryu and his legend existing". which then directly feeds into yak6

i dig that, although i feel like that's more a point for yakuza 6 than it is for 5. that does make the last boss feel better though

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Fungah! posted:

i dig that, although i feel like that's more a point for yakuza 6 than it is for 5. that does make the last boss feel better though

yeah for sure, the concept doesnt get a ton of exploration or breathing room in 5 itself seeing as it's introduced/revealed at the very very end of the game

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

IGgy IGsen posted:

Yeah, tbh, but I dunno, maybe playing as a 50 year old Ichiban in a few years will be cool.
It's gonna own.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the darts mini game is better...

you can level up weapons by using them!

you can RIDE THE BICYCLES in a heat move?!

i haven't even gone to kiryu's apartment yet. i've gotten 20 percent of the heat moves just walking back and forth between karaoke, the arcade, and darts. still haven't figured out pachinko or virtua fighter 2 but i'm nailing all the songs on the first try and i've already cleared one mini-game and one restaurant.

i'm never going to stop playing this game.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
the leap from 4 to 5 is the biggest jump in quality between games in the series. 5 is what 4 wanted to be.

Re: Ichiban I really liked his japanese VA and I planned on doing the NG+ stuff eventually and thought about doing it with the english VA because I know they put a lot of time and effort into it this time around.... I only saw a bit of it but the English VA is ok to good but Ichiban's VA just does not fit the character imo so I'm not gonna put it on when I do NG+ I think. Also despite how good the VA gets using the Eng in a Yakuza game just kinda feels wrong.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i switched to the english VA a couple of times through LAD just to hear what each character sounded like and I didn't really like any of them. People say the performances are good but they all seemed like pretty standard anime VA to me and also the bigger problem was it just felt like random american voices slapped on characters regardless of whether they fit. Nanba really stood out - his japanese VA is nasal and wiry, which is right for the character, then his american VA is this baritone confident guy and it just made me laugh.

I'm playing kiwami 2 just now and its good but I'm really looking forward to 5 based on how people talk about the series. I was gonna just skip right to it but I already skipped and played 0 and 7 so I'm just gonna slowly trawl through the rest now. I never see people talk about 6 much except to say its kind of basic because of the engine switch, so I dunno what goes on there. 5 seems to be the one people get most excited about after 0 and 7.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
6 is great. It's more of a take your time and absorb experience than 5. I couldn't say if I enjoyed it more than 5, it's a very close competition. 6 is smaller and less chaotic but it's also really well polished and coherent imo. I think 6s combat is also some of the best, behind 0 but really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Y5 ending spoilers: i kind of like aizawa as a final boss. he should have been more prominent throughout and his whole arc could have been handled better but I feel like it presents a few of interesting parallels. aizawa doesn’t really care about his father’s crazy plot, he just wants to take a shot at the top. similarly kiryu doesn’t really care about all the intrigue, the only reason he’s fighting aizawa is to put the entire episode to bed so he can get back to his family. kiryu, too, is just a pawn, but he’s also the strongest pawn so he inevitably gets involved despite his (and everyone else’s) best efforts, which is a theme in 6 as mentioned.

aizawa is also a kind of parallel with daigo. aizawa’s father only cares about aizawa as a means to an end. while kiryu as daigo’s father figure obviously cares about him, he’s also similarly at fault for using daigo as a means to an end; kiryu wanted out of the yakuza so he put daigo in charge and peaced out. a recurring theme that starts in 3 but is never fully explored is how all of the schemes kiryu gets drawn into come back to the fact that daigo is still figuring out how to run a huge crime syndicate, and the only living former patriarch he could turn to for advice has hosed off to Okinawa. aizawa is a reflection of what kiryu has done, unintentionally, to daigo.

also the fight itself kicks rear end