Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

hamsystem posted:

Awesome, thanks goons

Let me add that as of the latest update you can samba in from any computer on the same network and drag and drop files using a file manager (like windows explorer), no ftp software needed. It’s an amazingly slick little system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Sammus posted:

If I want to plug something into my TV and play PS1, N64, and SNES games, what are my best options? Portability is of zero concern. Being able to Bluetooth a DS4 is essential though.

Not a joke: a PS Vita.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
On a whim I checked GameStop and they have a “GameStop Premium Refurbished” New 2DS XL in orange/white for $149 so I snagged it.

This model is hackable right? I want to play everything from the original DS to whatever came out before Nintendo dropped the console.

Also any word on if this refurb is anything close to Nintendo’s in quality?

Edit: pretty critical typo

Rolo fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 6, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sammus posted:

If I want to plug something into my TV and play PS1, N64, and SNES games, what are my best options? Portability is of zero concern. Being able to Bluetooth a DS4 is essential though.

Probably to buy a mildly used PC or Laptop from within the last five years and hook it up to your TV

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Rolo posted:

On a whim I checked GameStop and they have a “GameStop Premium Refurbished” New 3DS XL in orange/white for $149 so I snagged it.

This model is hackable right? I want to play everything from the original DS to whatever came out before Nintendo dropped the console.

No idea about quality but every version of the 3DS is hackable as far as I know. Takes maybe a couple of hours the first time through.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rolo posted:

On a whim I checked GameStop and they have a “GameStop Premium Refurbished” New 3DS XL in orange/white for $149 so I snagged it.

I’m pretty sure every 3DS model is hackable up to and including the most recent firmware. It’s pretty easy too, I just did it a couple weeks ago.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
There’s a typo in my post! It’s the NEW 2DS XL, not 3DS.

This one

Still good to go?

Rolo fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 6, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rolo posted:

There’s a typo in my post! It’s the NEW 2DS XL, not 3DS.

This one

Still good to go?

Yep! I just got a New 2DS XL and hacked it just fine :)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yep! I just got a New 2DS XL and hacked it just fine :)

Mind throwing your good buddy the guide you used :heysexy:

I assume I’ll need some kind of hardware flashcart?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rolo posted:

Mind throwing your good buddy the guide you used :heysexy:

I assume I’ll need some kind of hardware flashcart?

Nope! It’s all done in software, no flashcart needed. Use this one:

https://3ds.hacks.guide

Update the 2DS to the latest firmware and use the boot9strap browser method

EDIT: You’ll need a microSD card to do it but you should have one for games anyway.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
You’re awesome. Thanks for sharing.

I definitely have a few SD’s lying around from my other portable projects.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

If the browser method doesn't work, Seedminer in the same guide should. That's how I had to do my wife's after last year's update.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

ALL 3DS/2DS are hackable. Refurbs from GameStop can be hit or miss depending on the store it comes from. Refurbs direct from Nintendo are basically brand new. New 2DS XL's are $99 refurbished direct from Nintendo.

Oh also there is a hard limit on 300 installed titles for the 3DS/2DS and iirc there's no way passed it. Someone feel free to correct.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Wamdoodle posted:

New 2DS XL's are $99 refurbished direct from Nintendo.

Yeah for the 5 minutes they're in stock :(

I'm gonna roll the dice, I'm ok with cosmetic defects as long as the screens and battery are ok. Here's hoping.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Wamdoodle posted:

ALL 3DS/2DS are hackable. Refurbs from GameStop can be hit or miss depending on the store it comes from. Refurbs direct from Nintendo are basically brand new. New 2DS XL's are $99 refurbished direct from Nintendo.

Oh also there is a hard limit on 300 installed titles for the 3DS/2DS and iirc there's no way passed it. Someone feel free to correct.

Thankfully you don't really need to mess with game injections for anything other than 3DS games, though you may want a flashcart for DS games since the emulator can be spotty.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'd get the 3D version if you can but otherwise good yes

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Sammus posted:

A PStv if you can find one, they used to go for pennies but now they're 200 bucks because they do everything a vita can, but they plug into your tv

A super console x might be a better option now, or one of those Amazon fire sticks

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

flavor.flv posted:

A PStv if you can find one, they used to go for pennies but now they're 200 bucks because they do everything a vita can, but they plug into your tv

A super console x might be a better option now, or one of those Amazon fire sticks

I’ve already got a few firesticks around the house, so I’m gonna look into that. Im fairly blown away by what this little thing is capable of.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I found a bunch of older videos on using the Firestick for retro games, but nothing that recent, so either nothing has changed or Amazon did something to make them not so good? Apparently they support bluetooth so controllers that's good at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evfPIITXbEs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7k-PKWvmqQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjniqEnwklE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMGTxquhKRs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4RYsq9XSlI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtk-HsB4O3g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJrrybq77KA

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Retro goons, is there a small touchscreen working android based game console with dpad/joystick. Kind of like that pawkiddy x-something console but smaller. I actually want to find an real android phone console (with working google play store) to controll the Tello drone.

Right now my option is get a USBC controller for my real phone. For once in my life I want Sony make a update for the Xperia Play. God I hate that piece of poo poo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GPD XD+ checks every single box you’re talking about.

Small. This is relative, but it’s the size of a 3ds xl

Dpad/joysticks: check. The joysticks are the same as the Vita as far as I can tell

Google Play: Check. It’s a full-fat android device.

They can also be upgraded to Android 10: https://obscurehandhelds.com/2021/03/a-look-at-the-gpd-xd-hardware/

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 7, 2021

Weedle
May 31, 2006

bowmore posted:

I'd get the 3D version if you can but otherwise good yes

yes the 3d owns. it makes me sad that so many 3ds likers are opting for the 2ds because the 3d is totally unique and awesome in the games that use it well. i’m glad i got one with 3d and i’d do it again

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Thanks, missed this one. I just ordered 2 touchscreen joysticks from Amazon. I will try this ghetto solution first.

Does GDP...GPD made an older android device? And it also has play store support?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes, there is the GPD XD (non-plus) that is the same formfactor with less powerful internals

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I wish they made an XD with a keyboard. It seems like every update to the GPD Win takes it further away from what I want, which is a cheap device that I can play roms on and occasionally use for business

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Sorry to go back to yesterday’s subject but don’t we have a Nintendo hacking thread? I know we did last time I was looking at a flashcart eons ago.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Rolo posted:

Sorry to go back to yesterday’s subject but don’t we have a Nintendo hacking thread? I know we did last time I was looking at a flashcart eons ago.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

drrockso20 posted:

Probably to buy a mildly used PC or Laptop from within the last five years and hook it up to your TV

to back up my statement here is a video ETA Prime just posted that proves my point that if you aren't looking for a handheld the best solution is probably an secondhand PC of semi-recent nature;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XONKVZf0m6o

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

drrockso20 posted:

to back up my statement here is a video ETA Prime just posted that proves my point that if you aren't looking for a handheld the best solution is probably an secondhand PC of semi-recent nature;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XONKVZf0m6o

I picked up a Lenovo with the same CPU, and Batocera runs nicely on it. It seems to be able to handle PS2 and light PS3, Wii, and I’ve even had luck with XBox. And Windows games as long as they’re not too demanding and compatible with WINE.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
One of my 3 phones doesn't have access to the google play store. Is there an alternate app to the paid version of Octopus I can sideload?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just got my GameStop refurb 2DS and I think I won the lottery on it. I can’t find a single defect. The hinge clicks pretty loud when opened and wobbles a little bit but if you told me it did this from the factory I’d believe you, it’s not that bad.

Screens are 10/10 no dead pixels so let’s get to bricking this thing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rolo posted:

Just got my GameStop refurb 2DS and I think I won the lottery on it. I can’t find a single defect. The hinge clicks pretty loud when opened and wobbles a little bit but if you told me it did this from the factory I’d believe you, it’s not that bad.

Yeah they're just like that by design

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah they're just like that by design

Oh nice. Ive been testing the touch screen, wifi, everything works. Only worry now is if it's a bad battery but I bet I could replace that.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the 3ds hinge feels really bad compared to the ds, but apparently the stiffer hinges start breaking at an astonishing rate after a few years so i guess they had to

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Weedle posted:

the 3ds hinge feels really bad compared to the ds, but apparently the stiffer hinges start breaking at an astonishing rate after a few years so i guess they had to

Yeah I think the wobbliness of the hinge helps it not get overstressed over time. DS Lite hinges were notorious for snapping right off after a while

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Got my 351v in. Got 351Elec and a few ROMs loaded up to test out but I love this thing already. It will be a godsend when I have to visit family.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Trip report: spent yesterday installing homebrew, apps and games onto my 2DS and it’s been fun overall. No major problems yet and the guides online are airtight.

It’s nice to not have to try and wring out more Drastic performance or configure how I’m gonna switch screens. I’m gonna keep the RG351V for everything prior because it’s my fave but if you missed the entire clamshell gen like I did I recommend keeping an eye out for one. So many good games.

A+ experience so far.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I went looking for Pac-Man ports. I couldn't get the .zip files I found to work with any of RetroArch's MAME cores. I could open them and get to the Start/demo screen, but none of the keybinds would work on my PC to start the game. Getting that to work would have been ideal, but it looks like MAME is much harder to get to work than the other cores. I have the PSP version, so I can still play them and it was just about file space and the principle of the thing. One thing I noticed is that it feels much easier to play Pac-Man on the keyboard than on a phone because the feedback from pressing the arrow keys works so much better than the haptic feedback at letting me know that I've made a successful button press

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 10, 2021

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Anyone know why playstation games won't show up on the homescreen? I can launch them directly from RetroArch fine and they run great but it's kind of annoying. This is on the latest 351elec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Start button > game collection settings > systems displayed
Make sure Playstation is checked