Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

lol do they really expect all the victims to club together and collect up the ransom like some type of charity telethon? I'd think criminals would have a better sense of realistic cynicism than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
It's probably to try enticing the feds to pay the ransom since it's cheaper than actually solving the problem.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Counteroffer with $140M but only if they turn over their software devs to the authorities.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Volmarias posted:

It's probably to try enticing the feds to pay the ransom since it's cheaper than actually solving the problem.

that very thing is already happening so yeah.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I've been trying to settle on a password manager and I seriously can't be the only one that finds it sketchy as all hell that most (all?) the ones with online accounts or cloud storage use your supposedly zero-knowledge master password as your login to the web page for account setup and cloud sync. 1password and bitwarden for sure do, I haven't looked at all of them.

Am I missing something or does this seem ridiculous? Just entering the master password in a web browser page ever seems like anathema to me. That said other than using keepass and my own server it doesn't seem like there's any options.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Rescue Toaster posted:

I've been trying to settle on a password manager and I seriously can't be the only one that finds it sketchy as all hell that most (all?) the ones with online accounts or cloud storage use your supposedly zero-knowledge master password as your login to the web page for account setup and cloud sync. 1password and bitwarden for sure do, I haven't looked at all of them.

Am I missing something or does this seem ridiculous? Just entering the master password in a web browser page ever seems like anathema to me. That said other than using keepass and my own server it doesn't seem like there's any options.

Why is that ridiculous?

E: unless you're implying it's just password in which case 1password has 2fa for web login

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Blinkz0rz posted:

Why is that ridiculous?

Because you have to trust that the master password you enter is only being used for client side decryption of logins using js and isn't secretly being divulged.

You place the same trust in a desktop app but 1) you can firewall it off I suppose 2) a website could change the js it serves you at any moment

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Rufus Ping posted:

Because you have to trust that the master password you enter is only being used for client side decryption of logins using js and isn't secretly being divulged.

You place the same trust in a desktop app but 1) you can firewall it off I suppose 2) a website could change the js it serves you at any moment

Yeah maybe I'm over-valuing the 'stability' of an application vs a web page. At least with an application you would have to update it to get a new version. Once modified though, even if you firewall it, it could of course send your password back to their servers, but you could prevent it from sending it somewhere else.

In any scenario, if the company that sells you the password manager starts acting maliciously, you're pretty screwed. I feel like making people repeatedly enter their password into a regular webpage javascript you're opening up more avenues for a third party, though.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 5, 2021

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

One question is: do you want someone who doesn’t know the master password to be able to mess with your account and sync settings? Another could be: would you use a second non-resettable password, which is used infrequently and likely can’t be stored in the password manager because you might need it to get access to your password manager’s encrypted store? That seems like a recipe for ergonomic disaster and subsequent data loss, pretty often.

With Bitwarden you could host your own setup if you were worried about the main system being compromised, but I think I’m more likely to gently caress up than they are, so I go with it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Have any of you ever experienced this?

https://twitter.com/dj_ir0ngruve/status/1412067848453705731

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Subjunctive posted:

One question is: do you want someone who doesn’t know the master password to be able to mess with your account and sync settings? Another could be: would you use a second non-resettable password, which is used infrequently and likely can’t be stored in the password manager because you might need it to get access to your password manager’s encrypted store? That seems like a recipe for ergonomic disaster and subsequent data loss, pretty often.

With Bitwarden you could host your own setup if you were worried about the main system being compromised, but I think I’m more likely to gently caress up than they are, so I go with it.

I switched to bitwarden, and thought about self hosting, but decided that I didn't want to deal with the hassle of setting up an internet accessible host.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Rufus Ping posted:

I mean, that's fundamentally the same issue you run into with any kind of tool that you delegate permission to do *something*.

If your threat model is such that you're worried about the system using your key to do something other than decrypt your data, by all means host your own solution or use a desktop app but I'm guessing it isn't and the concern is a bit overblown.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

spankmeister posted:

The joke is that they are, and that's why they can't fix it.

how did this validate in the first place? Partial validation of the signed data only, no validation that the linked document actually exists?

That seems like a big oversight even ignoring cosmic rays, allowing you to attest a document exists with this hash without verifying A) it exists or B) the hash matches.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Blinkz0rz posted:

I mean, that's fundamentally the same issue you run into with any kind of tool that you delegate permission to do *something*.

If your threat model is such that you're worried about the system using your key to do something other than decrypt your data, by all means host your own solution or use a desktop app but I'm guessing it isn't and the concern is a bit overblown.

Yes I agree and personally use 1password's cloud offering

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

With the power of the desktop app integration, I basically never even type my master password of 1Password into any web pages or Chrome extension, so at this point it's a pretty minor concern.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Speaking of password managers...

https://twitter.com/matthew_d_green/status/1412411435842519049

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Look who rolled their own crypto!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's such a well written post, you actually learn something having read it

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Thanks Ants posted:

That's such a well written post, you actually learn something having read it

Agreed. Good flow, good writing style, lots of meaningful content without straying into either being too smug about how smart these researchers were to find the issue or throwing in snide remarks about how lol-tasticly dumb Kaspersky was, yeah. This is how a good security blog write up should look.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
It took them two years to fix that. Two. Years. When the security researchers told them how to fix it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Has there been any real news on the Kaseya attack about how they got hit? Last I read it wasnt a supply chain attack but some 0 day exploit of their software.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Has there been any real news on the Kaseya attack about how they got hit? Last I read it wasnt a supply chain attack but some 0 day exploit of their software.

So there was a pretty serious vulnerability in Kaseya that was discovered by Dutch security researchers and they were in the process of working with Kaseya to get that resolved. While this was going on the REvil ransomware gang discovered the bug. Either they discovered it independently or they acquired details about it somehow, that part is not yet clear.

This bug can be used to gain control of a Kayesa instance without authentication. This has been used by REvil to gain control of lots and lots of instances of Kaseya at companies and MSP's and subsequently used to deploy ransomware to their clients. Now why these MSP's had their Kaseya instances open to the internet is a hell of a good question. But they did.

It was NOT a compromise of Kaseya itself or a malicious update of the Kaseya software. So in that sense it wasn't a supply chain attack. However some might argue that if you got popped with ransomware because your MSP used Kaseya it could be considered a supply chain attack in that sense. But really only in the sense that the MSP is the supplier in this case, not Kaseya itself.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

spankmeister posted:

So there was a pretty serious vulnerability in Kaseya that was discovered by Dutch security researchers and they were in the process of working with Kaseya to get that resolved. While this was going on the REvil ransomware gang discovered the bug. Either they discovered it independently or they acquired details about it somehow, that part is not yet clear.

This bug can be used to gain control of a Kayesa instance without authentication. This has been used by REvil to gain control of lots and lots of instances of Kaseya at companies and MSP's and subsequently used to deploy ransomware to their clients. Now why these MSP's had their Kaseya instances open to the internet is a hell of a good question. But they did.

It was NOT a compromise of Kaseya itself or a malicious update of the Kaseya software. So in that sense it wasn't a supply chain attack. However some might argue that if you got popped with ransomware because your MSP used Kaseya it could be considered a supply chain attack in that sense. But really only in the sense that the MSP is the supplier in this case, not Kaseya itself.

I would think its exposed because its likely the kind of customer who is using an msp for budget reasons doesn't have the budget to create tunnels specifically for these kinds of services.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

spankmeister posted:

That's how it got to us because I can assure you that now closed port and subsequent NAT that Kaseya was talking on was ACL'ed to hell and back, so big bad Presidio definitely had theirs exposed. At least I don't have to worry about their foot in the door at my agency anymore. Our in-house security averted a serious potential disaster when it stopped it cold on a live CUCM box.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spankmeister posted:

So there was a pretty serious vulnerability in Kaseya

This bug can be used to gain control of a Kayesa instance without authentication.

It was NOT a compromise of Kaseya itself

I don’t understand how these fit together. It sounds a lot like REvil compromised the Kaseya software and used that compromise to push the nasty bits, but you say that they didn’t compromise Kaseya so I’m confused. Sorry for being dumb, but I’d love to understand better.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
He means their software was vulnerable but the supplier, in this case Kaseya, wasn’t hit themselves via some kind of supply chain attack. I believe

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
It appears the patch for PrintNightmare has been released. Happy patch Tuesday!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t understand how these fit together. It sounds a lot like REvil compromised the Kaseya software and used that compromise to push the nasty bits, but you say that they didn’t compromise Kaseya so I’m confused. Sorry for being dumb, but I’d love to understand better.

If I hack your company through an already existing vulnerability in windows, did microsoft get hacked?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Subjunctive posted:

Vulnerability detected in self-hosted Kayesa instances that were exposed to the internet, attacker used this access to deploy their payload. If you have Kayesa access you can just use the API to deploy something to all clients, it doesn’t mean the company making the software was infiltrated.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Yeah, the confusing terminology is people saying it's a "supply chain attack" because the compromised Kayesa instances can push Bad Things to clients masquerading as legitimate updates / software installs / whatever.

It'd be the same as if there was a compromise that let attackers pop your AD controller and deploy a GPO policy to all clients that forced them to run bitcoinminer.exe or whatever on startup: it isn't really what's meant by "supply chain attack," but it does involve some aspects in the sense of being able to abuse legitimate patch / update / install processes to push malware.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah it's "supply chain" in the sense that revil used a legit management tool to deploy the ransomware. I don't really agree with that usage but whatevs.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

this isn't a new kind of attack, is it? it seems to obvious to attack the orchestration tools

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I guess it's a supply chain attack in relation to the MSP, similar to how Target got done over by their air conditioning supplier

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Sickening posted:

It appears the patch for PrintNightmare has been released. Happy patch Tuesday!

not for 2016 though?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RFC2324 posted:

If I hack your company through an already existing vulnerability in windows, did microsoft get hacked?

Ah, Kaseya the software vs Kaseya the company. Thanks.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I assumed it was being called a supply chain attack because the malicious code initially represented it as a Kaseya update/hotfix so there was speculation that Kaseya had been compromised and someone pushed a malicious hotfix as Kaseya.

Turns out it was just a bad exploit for a piece of software that is designed to be internet facing.

In further fun MSP news a Microsoft CSP reseller got compromised over the weekend too. A CSP reseller sells Office 365/Azure to MSPs (which in turn resell it to their customers) that are too small to deal with Microsoft directly and gets delegated admin to every tenant they provide licensing to.

https://ir.synnex.com/news/press-release-details/2021/SYNNEX-Responds-to-Recent-Cybersecurity-Attacks-and-Media-Mentions/default.aspx

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 7, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

came into work today to find an email saying we had just sold off the MSP side of the business

I was amused by the timing

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

New write up by Ars is pretty good.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/07/up-to-1500-businesses-infected-in-one-of-the-worst-ransomware-attacks-ever/

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

As I understood it, the attackers exploited a vulnerability in the Kaseya VSA software to compromise on-prem instances of it running at MSP's. These instances were then used to deploy ransomware to the clients of those MSP's.

At no point was Kaseya the company itself compromised (that we know of).

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It is possible that Kaseya the company was in fact compromised but that that access was used to learn about the vulnerability in the product. But at this point that's pure speculation.