Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

SpacePig posted:

Fuckin nerd can't even tell a Bajoran from a Betazoid.

Easy guide for anyone who has trouble:

Bajoran:

Betazoid:

:balldo:

Edit:

This snipe is bad and I feel bad.

pseudorandom has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Jul 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

RFC2324 posted:

you have never spent time near a family that refers to itself as a clan, apparently. those shirts absolutely track with most last names, but White isn't one of them... well, at least not in a positive way. Pretty sure no member of the family wants to be referred to as part of the White Clan

I'd say half of the shirts don't track if you count the two identical phrases as one shirt.

There are a few people who like being part of the White Clan but they already have "original boys in the hood" shirts*.

*I went inside a shop in Georgia that is part Civil War museum, part store that sells confederate memorabilia and racist bumper stickers and that shirt was the only one they sold but didn't have on display.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

TAKE LUCK

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yo that poo poo is legit one of the most blatant attempts by a studio to astroturf I've seen in a long-rear end time. They should fire their PR guys.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

There is already a building conspiracy theory that the memes were actually from plants doing stealth marketing, it's really a remarkable turnaround time

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Why would you need to stealth advertise the best running film series?

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Advertising exists to sell itself.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

So that you continue to justify the existence of your own job probably

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

it turned out that surprised-pikachu.gif was deliberate marketing for Detective Pikachu too

tbh i don't think the vin diesel family things are definitely "stealth marketing", it's reasonably funny so it got immediately run into the ground

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

The last movie was 2 years ago and was a Rock/Statham spin-off, and if even a quarter of the rumors are to be believed Vin Diesel and most of the male stars are comically insecure about their image.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Goatse is stealth marketing for proctology.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

were the original Vin Diesel memes stealth advertising for FF1?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FFT posted:

it turned out that surprised-pikachu.gif was deliberate marketing for Detective Pikachu too

tbh i don't think the vin diesel family things are definitely "stealth marketing", it's reasonably funny so it got immediately run into the ground
Some were pretty good tbh but the fact that they were all one note, hitting a decade-old punchline, and they got flooded into meme spaces within a day, all raise an eyebrow.

Like yeah surprised-pikachu.gif may be deliberate marketing, but it understood how memes work-- focus on doing one meme right, wide versatility, get the community to do the hard work of innovating on it and thus ensuring its legs because now it's "theirs," seed it early, and come at the community from the side so-to-speak.

There was nowhere to really go with the "family" memes, and 90% of them are just "hey Vin Diesel is here in [other nerd property we're told you love] and someone mentioned family!" It had fellowkids.jpg energy all over it, only aimed at people over 25.

theflyingexecutive posted:

I still laugh at:

"When Vin Diesel was born the nurse delivering him said 'Holy poo poo it's Vin Diesel' and had sex with him right there. This was the third woman he had sex with."

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Jul 6, 2021

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
There is only one Vin Diesel meme I will accept: https://youtu.be/xyTwpl1OFz4

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

"It happened really fast" is not evidence against the internet doing something you realize?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
It doesn't feel like a real organic meme. Like the cleverness to speed-of-uptake ratio is off. It's basically Facebook minion meme depth ("this character said this word and here he is in other contexts where that word appears"), but it's suddenly everywhere.

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 23:32 on Jul 6, 2021

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
The Anakin/Padme meme had a different punchline every time at least, probably why it still hasn't really "gotten old". The Fast and Furious Vin Diesel memes all just have the same punchline for every drat one of them. It gets tiring fast.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

RareAcumen posted:

The star wars one

....isn't the climax of ROTJ literally that family love overcomes the Dark Side?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Just checked my pc and, yes, it's already changed back to the chrome logo

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

It doesn't feel like a real organic meme. Like the cleverness to speed-of-uptake ratio is off. It's basically Facebook minion meme depth ("this character said this word and here he is in other contexts where that word appears"), but it's suddenly everywhere.

Right, like some pr firm was just googling "most popular memes right now" and putting Vin in all of them

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

"It just doesnt seem like a real meme."

It is when youre family

*crashes meme mustang into thread*

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

I still laugh at:

"When Vin Diesel was born the nurse delivering him said 'Holy poo poo it's Vin Diesel' and had sex with him right there. This was the third woman he had sex with."

My all time favorite vin diesel fact is that his name anagrams to "I END LIVES"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've been afraid to ask if that even is Vin Diesel. It doesn't even look like him and I've been asking myself how easily I could be made to believe all the FF movies are now just deepfakes

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
I put way too much effort into making this dumb video (sound required):

https://i.imgur.com/0CkNfNO.mp4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Yeah these did get annoying literally instantly.

Just like my family.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Erebus posted:

There is already a building conspiracy theory that the memes were actually from plants doing stealth marketing, it's really a remarkable turnaround time

This has been true of like 99% of memes since at least Snakes on a Plane. At least the stuff that gets spammed on sites like Reddit and 9gag.

I look at memes because sometimes I'm tired and I want to giggle at dumb poo poo.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

theflyingexecutive posted:

Data Graham posted:

I've been afraid to ask if that even is Vin Diesel. It doesn't even look like him and I've been asking myself how easily I could be made to believe all the FF movies are now just deepfakes

I've only just realised you're not talking about Final Fantasy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hyperlynx posted:

I've only just realised you're not talking about Final Fantasy.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6vx0oEh4

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

:thanks:

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Twitch posted:

This has been true of like 99% of memes since at least Snakes on a Plane. At least the stuff that gets spammed on sites like Reddit and 9gag.

This seems like an absurdly large overestimation.

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

Twitch posted:

you forget that posting the same joke over and over again ad nauseam is considered the height of comedy on those sites

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Yellow Yoshi posted:

you forget that posting the same joke over and over again ad nauseam is considered the height of comedy on those sites
lol if you think we're all that different

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Erebus posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Memes are terrible and derivative?

:aaaaa: