Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Vord posted:

Could you elaborate on this cause I am insanely curious now.

Claudia Christian was involved with Dodi Fayed, and he asked her to have his kid. She left him and then later he and Diana got together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Wait, so Star Trek gets Barack Obama elected President of the United States, while Babylon 5 gets Diana killed? drat, this show really is cursed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vord posted:

Could you elaborate on this cause I am insanely curious now.

Dodi Fayed asked her to have his baby and she turned him down.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Midjack posted:

Dodi Fayed asked her to have his baby and she turned him down.

Specifically because she'd just got a five year gig and wanted to concentrate on her career.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Some rerendered Minbari on Minbari action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTxpDyhEi0A

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Just wanted to wish everyone a happy anniversary to everyone today!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

still not as bad as mass effect referencing musk

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TK-42-1 posted:

still not as bad as mass effect referencing musk

To be fair, that was ME:Andromeda and that was the least of its problems.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I keep on thinking about that Atomic Robo story that revolved around Robo having established a compound with people who were apparently portrayed to be his equals in action-science, and the other two people in charge of the area were Richard Branson, who was a weird rear end in a top hat who refused to let Robo do construction and Elon Musk, who hadn't moved into the area yet, but getting his vote in the HOA allowed Robo to begin construction again.

Weird.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

This kind of poo poo is why you never reference the contemporary in an effort to be "hip" and "with it".

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I'm trying to recall actual modern-day references in Babylon 5 and all I'm coming up with is Zima and the Rush Act.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Do Rebo and Zooty count?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That ZX-11

And Garibaldi's Daffy Duck poster

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Most of the technology the younger races had was believed to be possible based on the science of the day. The one big exception is tachyon-based communication channels, which were just added in to make the story work better.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Vavrek posted:

I'm trying to recall actual modern-day references in Babylon 5 and all I'm coming up with is Zima and the Rush Act.

They had the Dilbert guy on for a cutesy bit, back before he went bugnuts.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Rappaport posted:

Do Rebo and Zooty count?

I would say no, since they aren't playing themselves and they are basically making the opposite point, making up a bunch of pop culture that is super strange to us.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, there's Garibaldi being a fan of the 1954 cartoon Duck Dodgers, and there's that one time where he suddenly had an interest in rebuilding a certain 90s motorcycle.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Looney Tunes are like jazz, they'll obviously be around forever.

B5 having good writers who knew how to read the room helped too.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Star Trek used to have the good sense to name two things from before the show was filmed and one alien thing to avoid this poo poo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Even Star Trek’s subtler pop culture thing where everyone listens to classical music and also things baby boomers find comfort in got annoying after a while. I hope the new star trek series don’t suddenly have characters with historical interest in the 1990s.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Even Star Trek’s subtler pop culture thing where everyone listens to classical music and also things baby boomers find comfort in got annoying after a while. I hope the new star trek series don’t suddenly have characters with historical interest in the 1990s.

According to we hate movies bones was a big fan of nu metal and especially former president durst

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Tom Paris would never shut up about Rick and Morty

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
By the time of Star Trek, The Beastie Boys is classical music

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I think a few modern-day references would be fine, but it always frustrated me that star trek was full of them. Most of the works they reference in, say, TNG, should be from the 24th century, with comparatively fewer of them from the 23rd, 22nd, etc. 20th century references should be exceedingly rare and would be a genuine treat if they didn't pop up all the time and break all suspension of disbelief. Not to mention that like, not showing what art and music look like in future centuries was a huge missed opportunity and cheap references to actually-existing media is no substitute at all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ElBrak posted:

Star Trek used to have the good sense to name two things from before the show was filmed and one alien thing to avoid this poo poo.

There was a black president. We're one female pope away from all the SF tropes collapsing into anarchy.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think a few modern-day references would be fine, but it always frustrated me that star trek was full of them. Most of the works they reference in, say, TNG, should be from the 24th century, with comparatively fewer of them from the 23rd, 22nd, etc. 20th century references should be exceedingly rare and would be a genuine treat if they didn't pop up all the time and break all suspension of disbelief. Not to mention that like, not showing what art and music look like in future centuries was a huge missed opportunity and cheap references to actually-existing media is no substitute at all.

I'd rather they just didn't do it at all than make up stuff that's going to be hilariously dated in 5 years, or zero effort Zorflox of Planet Hydra Chloroquine type stuff. If they actually went to the effort to commission good musicians and other artists that'd be one thing.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Sci-fi shows used to do that and then you get stuff like this:

https://youtu.be/byp5-750gZk

:barf:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Buck Rogers is amazing because all the young people are into disco and Buck doesn’t understand it because he was frozen in the 80s. I have no idea if that was intentional or just thoughtless documentation of the 70s, when the show was made.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Goblin Craft posted:

I'd rather they just didn't do it at all than make up stuff that's going to be hilariously dated in 5 years, or zero effort Zorflox of Planet Hydra Chloroquine type stuff. If they actually went to the effort to commission good musicians and other artists that'd be one thing.

The problem with doing "realistic" future pop culture is that, realistically, it should make as much sense and be as aesthetically pleasing to us as internet memes and K-pop would be to someone from the 1600s.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

McSpanky posted:

The problem with doing "realistic" future pop culture is that, realistically, it should make as much sense and be as aesthetically pleasing to us as internet memes and K-pop would be to someone from the 1600s.

Which brings us back to Rebo and Zooty

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

McSpanky posted:

Bach would rock the gently caress out to some BTS.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

McSpanky posted:

I was going to say that The Fifth Element maybe gets the closest to this with Ruby Rhod and the alien opera singer, but it only took like ten years for real world pop stars to start doing Ruby Rhod and alien opera singer stuff, and Bjork was pretty much already both of those things years earlier, so who knows. This might be one of those things that's nearly impossible to predict without accidentally dating your show and therefore should only be alluded to but never directly shown, like the band in Lower Decks.

The sci-fi adventure game Tacoma features minor references to a fictional future K-Pop supergroup called "One Vein" led by "Veiny Johnny" and now it's the only thing I can ever think of on the rare occasion that I see "future" and "K-Pop" in the same sentence

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just double down and pack your 25th century space opera with references to beavis & butt-head.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CainFortea posted:

Bach would rock the gently caress out to some BTS.

Bach would have gotten heavy into synths and procedurally generated music and it would have been incredible.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Just double down and pack your 25th century space opera with references to beavis & butt-head.

"The Butthead was never meant to be one of a kind. It was only the first."

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

ZRM posted:

"The Butthead was never meant to be one of a kind. It was only the first."

"Here Lies Zack. He Never Scored"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rewatching the show and I had forgotten about G'Kar's fetish for human women.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Alhazred posted:

Rewatching the show and I had forgotten about G'Kar's fetish for human women.

He's just a big horndog. Doesn't he hide his bionic eye to spy on Sheriden and Delenn at some point?

Someone needs to write a story about the poor sod who gets called in to work on G'Kar's laptop and stumbles on the ambassador's browser history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
He also banged Londo's 3rd wife Mariel.