Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Heroes having their origins in the Korean War is wild because it was, to my understanding, despicably unnecessary and cruel even by dumb American war making standards.

Like, WW1 has the benefit of being too old to harm anyone anymore and also was just universally stupid for everyone; the last gasp of monarchies thinking they could do things the old way, mostly built on egos, with no one really being the good or bad guy, just a lot of dumb guys.

WW2 essentially had clear moral lines (in the broadly digested historical view at least, where we ignore poo poo like Op Paperclip).

Vietnam was unavoidable for a lot of people due to aggressive drafting, and was such a miserable, losing affair that it makes sense for people like Punisher to be born there; a sad and violent trauma monster fighting an unwinnable, intractable guerilla war where he knows he is not a good man and on some level wishes he would die horribly as a way to balance the karmic scale of his life.

The Korean war, though. Absolutely no reason for us to be there, and yet there we were, firebombing entire civilizations into permanent PTSD induced pariah statehood and lining up students and nurses and executing them for potential communist sympathies. What the gently caress were you doing there, Charles?

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
protecting are freedoms, you communist

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

EC comics did a lot of Korean War stories, a lot of them anti war.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SlimGoodbody posted:

The Korean war, though. Absolutely no reason for us to be there, and yet there we were, firebombing entire civilizations into permanent PTSD induced pariah statehood and lining up students and nurses and executing them for potential communist sympathies. What the gently caress were you doing there, Charles?

The Korean War still had an aggressive draft, you don't hear much about it since serving in WW2 exempted you from having to sign up again. Enlistment also aggressively targeted poor black communities claiming it to be the best way to advance in a society growing more racist by the day.

Charles was drafted but Cain joined on his own.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Red Foreman served in Korea.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hell Gemma Chan already has two roles in the MCU. Just say Doom is related to Kacillus. Doom is supposed to be a sorcerer. Hell tie the origins. Kacillus lost his family to something being his impetus to magic, maybe tie it to Reed being a fuckup and Doom's scar

Just do the scene from Beerfest with Landfill's twin brother, only he's Victor Von Doom.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
R.I.P Richard Donner

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1412131996814430211

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Zzulu posted:

protecting are freedoms, you communist

Just ignore literally teaming up with war criminals and ushering in new, state sponsored atrocities, for the sake of moral clarity.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Cain joined on his own.

Lmbo holy poo poo what an rear end in a top hat

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
well yeah up until the last few years cain's always been a bully who likes hurting people

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think some interpretations have been that he joined in part to escape his abusive father and partly to protect Charles. So even though he resented Charles, he didn't actually want him to die.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Goddamn. :popeye:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ruddiger posted:

Just ignore literally teaming up with war criminals and ushering in new, state sponsored atrocities, for the sake of moral clarity.

We always do!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

lomzus posted:

R.I.P Richard Donner
RIP to the man who produced the greatest hero movie of all time: Free Willy

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have changed my Reed Richarda fancasting to Daniel Radcliffe.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bear in mind that I'm sure a lot of people who fought in Korea, thought that they were signing up to be as great as the previous generation was with World War 2.
And if you had an abusive dad and wanted to impress him, signing up for this war seemed like a great first step.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The Korean War still had an aggressive draft, you don't hear much about it since serving in WW2 exempted you from having to sign up again. Enlistment also aggressively targeted poor black communities claiming it to be the best way to advance in a society growing more racist by the day.

WW2 service exempted most people. My grandfather got drafted into the army for Korea because they changed the required length of service for exemption just as he was finishing up his (now too short) time in the merchant marines.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I have changed my Reed Richarda fancasting to Daniel Radcliffe.

Apparently he's said that Marvel has been after him for a while (not for that) but he's consistently turned them down.

While he didn't write the actual script Tom Hardy is getting a "Story By" credit for Venom 2. He spent months brainstorming with screenwriter Kelly Marcel on what direction he wanted the character to go and how he thought the conflict between Venom and Carnage would play out.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

Apparently he's said that Marvel has been after him for a while (not for that) but he's consistently turned them down.

While he didn't write the actual script Tom Hardy is getting a "Story By" credit for Venom 2. He spent months brainstorming with screenwriter Kelly Marcel on what direction he wanted the character to go and how he thought the conflict between Venom and Carnage would play out.

I love how much Tom decided to throw his weight behind Venom, like he clearly got offered this project and was like "look, I am an extremely hot property right now so I'll only do it if you let me go wherever I want with it" and they said "yes sir anything you say sir" and then the direction he went with it was "I have the weirdest voice you have ever heard and I am gay with my depressed slime parasite who has imposter syndrome"

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

muscles like this! posted:

I wonder how big the money truck has to be?

lol just kidding, Radcliffe is already crazy rich thanks to Harry Potter and I believe he has said he is only doing stuff for fun or just to keep himself busy, I don't remember well. Hence he has been in weird poo poo like Horns and the one where he has guns for hands or something like that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He acts in his weird movies and in between those he's on his weird TV show.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I love the image of Radcliff turning down Marvel to do movies like Swiss Army Man and Guns Akimbo instead. Dude is living his best life.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Madkal posted:

I love the image of Radcliff turning down Marvel to do movies like Swiss Army Man and Guns Akimbo instead. Dude is living his best life.

He is doing the Elijah wood. Guy has money forever so why not.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It’s completely understandable if he doesn’t want to attach himself to another franchise for the rest of his life. I’d be doing weird rear end art pieces too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly it's a pretty big miracle that all three of the main child actors from the Potter franchise seem to be doing well for themselves for the most part instead of descending into the pure insanity of child actors.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
Im still pulling for denzel washington as reed richards

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I can understand not wanting to get involved in a cinematic universe after ten years of being chained to a single property, especially one that took up your entire childhood. That said, I would not say no to a Guns Akimbo Cinematic Universe.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bought my tickets for Friday. Goddamn I cannot wait to be in a movie theatre again

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

ilikedirt posted:

Im still pulling for denzel washington as reed richards

Well maybe they'll split the difference and we'll get his son.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Denzel as Franklin Richards?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'd actually be really down with that. Sounds great, book it marvel.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

I still want Denzel as Magneto. And Avery Brooks as Professor X.

I will also accept Keith David, though.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
Denzel washington as adam brashear….

And then, since now all of these characters exist now in the mcu, do that run of The Ultimates where they recruit galactus to the team, thanks

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ilikedirt posted:

Denzel washington as adam brashear….

And then, since now all of these characters exist now in the mcu, do that run of The Ultimates where they recruit galactus to the team, thanks

Hell yeah now we’re talking. We already have Monica and America Chavez is in one of the upcoming shows so we also have the team together.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lager posted:

I still want Denzel as Magneto. And Avery Brooks as Professor X.

Are you OUT of your GOD damned MIIIIIIIND, Magnus?!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Denzel as Franklin Richards, William Jackson Harper as Reed Richards, Jonathan Majors already cast as Nathaniel. Three generations!

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
The chuds would be SO loving pissed if they race-swapped reed richards, which is why they gotta do it

Lol they were big mad when johnny storm was in that horrible movie that nobody in earth saw

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That was one of the few good decisions made with that movie tbh

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Well maybe they'll split the difference and we'll get his son.

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Have there been any rumors as to when we are getting a trailer for the third Holland Spider-Man movie? It's like 5 months from release.