Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
BUCKS VS KING AND PENTA 27 29.35%
BOY VS JACK 2 2.17%
MIRO VS PILLMAN 6 6.52%
MJF VS SAM 57 61.96%
Total: 92 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jonny Nox posted:

I think Sammy is working me,
I’m pretty sure Sammy is working me,

My heart is prepared for it not to be a work.

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's a work cause there's no way he lost the full video file on a botched YouTube upload. He wouldn't even need to reedit cause why would the file getting deleted effect the premier file?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Unless his computer is infected with the virus

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

coconono posted:

Sami Callahan is on TNA though

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lethrom posted:

lol

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Sami is the entire internet though, so that tracks.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

coconono posted:

If he doesn't use a scratch drive he's a damned FOOL.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the computer file has an error. hold tight and try not to keep the rest of us awake all night with your scowl & howl maneuver. personally i have to go to sleep

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Just give Fuego one of Cutler’s contracts

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Just give Fuego one of Cutler’s contracts

Fuego to BTE and DO to Sammy Vlog, hmm

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Lethrom posted:

Their tag team name will be Sammi Squared

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if this next tag title match is where Knox finally does the job

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
omg that PNP promo was phenomenal

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
:toxx: fulfillment week 9! To recap for the inevitable confusion that pops up each week, yes, that means I'm still watching American Dragon Jake Long so I don't get a probation.

We've gone over two months with no word from Bryan Danielson in the big name US wrestling world, and that means we're also back with the Jake Long-a-Long. Anyone else starting to find it kind of surreal? Is this the longest that such a hot free agent has gone completely unbooked? You'd think by now the guy would've appeared somewhere, or at least had his status teased more often. He's not even showing up in those default Google news articles anymore that seem to pop up when you look up anything remotely current. I'm starting to get a little nervous that I might actually be on the hook for a significant chunk of this show! Today's chunk of show is Episode 9, Dragon Summit, which I'm sure will go as well as the many summits and town halls the Inner Circle's had on a week by week basis.

This episode's taking Jake, Grandpa, and Foo Dog to a place known as the Isle of Draco, where dragons gather from all across the world to meet and discuss important dragon business. Their means of getting there is an elevator through the friggin center of the Earth, because this show continues to have rad concepts servicing mediocre-to-pretty-good plotlines.

Apparently Jake is both the first American dragon and youngest of the group. This means not only are the other teen dragons hellbent on hazing him, but the Council of Dragons is giving him the third degree over the many, many mistakes he's made over the past 8 episodes. To make up for it, he's going to be given three tests: judgment, wisdom, and courage. I guess Ganondorf's mellowed out over the past few years. I believe this is also our first plot that isn't taken right from the kid's show stock plot playbook, so hell yeah. Bring on these tests!

The guy hazing Jake hardest is the first Australian dragon, who has the absolutely terrible name Fred Nerk. Naturally, instead of preparing for his trials, Jake's trying to counter prank Nerk as hard as he can. The two are basically in a race to see who can screw with the other the hardest, which leads to Jake sabotaging his own test of judgment. The magical sneezing powder he set aside for messing with Fred lead to him uncontrollably sneezing up flames, melting down both hostile and friendly targets in what was basically a dragon shooting gallery. That's one down, but he can still pass the next two. And he'd better, because if he doesn't, Grandpa loses his teaching privileges. Family isn't supposed to be training family, so the Council's keeping a very close eye on Jake to see if making him an exception was a mistake.

We also get some kind of dark dragon in a volcano lair that's very interested in whether Jake fails or not. Huh. He seemed like a non sequitur at first, but he's also the number 1 threat to magical society according to the dragon archives (with the Huntsmaster being #4, for anyone keeping count.) Jake's Grandpa was the only dragon to face him and live, which explains a lot about the close eye being kept on Jake. It appears we've got our second big metaplot villain brewing, and one that's probably not going to recur quite as much as the Huntsman.

The second test, Wisdom in Battle, sets Jake against a trio of aggressive Brownies. They're giving him the business for most of the fight, but for once Jake actually learned from Grandpa's lessons! He distracts them with handfuls of glittering sand, then takes advantage of their greed to capture them between his claws. One loss, one victory! The last test, the Flight of Courage, will be the tiebreaker. Not only does Jake need to race through three rings and face the trial guarding each, but he also needs to do so faster than an opponent of his choice. I think we all know where this is going: Jake and Nerk are finally going to settle things. We're still only a third of the way through the episode, so I'm going to call my shot now: Nerk's going to be faster, but Jake's going to have more integrity and strength of character, and that's why he'll win.

It's a pretty safe bet. Nerk's basically bullying his way through the course and the other creatures inhabiting it, while Jake's stopping to clean all the messes he makes. However, the moral gets a bit more complex when a giant shadow hand reaches out to grab Nerk off the course! Now Jake's dealing with a bigger, more dangerous rival, because the Dark Dragon (who is voiced by Clancy Brown, thank goodness) grabbed Nerk to lure Jake to his lair. He relentlessly pursues Jake through his lair with armies of shadow clones, but Jake's able to free Nerk and stays behind so he can escape. There's a brief fight, where the Dark Dragon seems to be toying with Jake more than anything, but Nerk flies in to repay Jake's kindness and help him escape.

The scene's painfully brief, and the number one threat to magical society's literally buried by two rookies and a timely rockslide. Bad booking, Disney.

With their quarrel done, and new appreciation for one another gained, Nerk and Jake pull into the finish line. Nerk wins, and Jake's understandably kind of ticked off due to the Dark Dragon's interference. In typical Jake fashion, he makes this very clear, and the Council of Dragons promptly shits a brick. The head of the council rules . . . that it doesn't matter, because Jake failed two of his tests. However, the proctor of the Judgment test says that Jake's new outlook reflects sufficient judgment to score a pass on the first test. No matter how many thousand years of tradition the head of the council cites, the new ruling holds firm. Jake narrowly passes, and just in time, too. He's going to need all the training he can get from Grandpa (or another lucky rockslide) to fend off the Dark Dragon's return.

If you think the head of the council protests too much, the episode's quick to show why. Along with her role in dragon society, she's also a mole on the inside. Jake may have made new allies today in the form of Nerk and the Dragon Council, but now he has a pair of very powerful new enemies awaiting him . . .

I'm pretty mixed on this episode. We're getting some solid character development from Jake, who's ready to take his duties a lot more seriously for both the sake of his family and the sake of the magical world. Considering I went into this expecting him to be a very static character, that's some good progress for only 9 episodes! Similarly, we're getting a lot more overarching plot development than I expected, and with two recurring villains on the table we should be getting some nice, meaty stakes going into future episodes. The plot itself? It was alright. It was nice not having an episode bogged down by the school parts, and finally breaking away from the big book of stock kid's show plots was a nice surprise, but it kind of crumpled a little at the end. It's really hard to take the Dark Dragon seriously when he has a single, tepidly animated fight scene and gets shown up by two green as grass rookies. It should've been a subordinate or advisor of his rather than already giving us the big man downstairs that early on. Kind of like how the whole Nightmare Family vs Factory feud's had QT show his rear end way too often, way too early for my tastes. I do appreciate the show not dragging its feet with its storylines, but come on. Save your #1 threat to magical society for an episode where you have time to animate him. Also, it's a waste of Clancy's range to throw him on a guy whose personality boils down to Angry and Bad.

Even with those critiques, though, I'd say its in the top half of episodes so far.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 7, 2021

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

hey bee, what do you think bryan daniel bryan danielson is doing right now

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

boxcarhobo posted:

hey bee, what do you think bryan daniel bryan danielson is doing right now

Honestly? At this point I'm gonna riff on the old meme that he's a farm. Some sort of large scale gardening seems like exactly the type of crunchy hobby he'd get into when not busy juggling a bunch of wrestling dates and training.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

respectfully what in the hell is that stuff talking about?

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

The Bee posted:

Honestly? At this point I'm gonna riff on the old meme that he's a farm. Some sort of large scale gardening seems like exactly the type of crunchy hobby he'd get into when not busy juggling a bunch of wrestling dates and training.

wearing nothing but overalls and absolutely covered in dirt and grime and planting his plants, pure bliss in his heart

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Bryan Danielson is taking detailed notes on flat earth theory, he just called AJ styles via payphone and frantically to AJ Styles he whispered, "I'm not saying you're right, I'm just saying that it's interesting." He gazes across the laundry mat parking lot at a black SUV with tinted windows, his focus narrows and his brow furrows, an old Buick pulls into the lot, windows down blaring "the final countdown".

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I wonder if Bryan just quietly retired.

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

As someone who edits and puts poo poo on YouTube all day there is zero chance I believe Sammy. Unless the hard drive is fried.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

The Stroker Ace posted:

As someone who edits and puts poo poo on YouTube all day there is zero chance I believe Sammy. Unless the hard drive is fried.

Counterpoint: Wrestler’s are very dumb. (I think Sammy’s working though.)

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Based on her ig, Yuka is in Miami now

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lock up your daughters Yuka is in town

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Worked hard drive failure

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Cavauro posted:

respectfully what in the hell is that stuff talking about?

Fulfilling a Toxx that I have to watch a Disney show for god-knows-how-long because it has American Dragon in its name. I make good decisions!

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder if Bryan just quietly retired.

The dude ate, slept, and breathed wrestling so hard that it's almost hard to believe, but at the same time the sheer radio silence is pretty noteworthy. If he's not flat out retired, I could see him being on an extended hiatus, if only because there's no way he wouldn't have said something about wrestling by now.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Maybe he’ll show up at mystery vortex

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Counterpoint: Wrestler’s are very dumb. (I think Sammy’s working though.)

Very true, great counterpoint.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The Bee posted:

Fulfilling a Toxx that I have to watch a Disney show for god-knows-how-long because it has American Dragon in its name. I make good decisions!

The dude ate, slept, and breathed wrestling so hard that it's almost hard to believe, but at the same time the sheer radio silence is pretty noteworthy. If he's not flat out retired, I could see him being on an extended hiatus, if only because there's no way he wouldn't have said something about wrestling by now.

I hope you don't have t odo it that much longer. IF you do then i hope you start liking it in a hosed up way and you enjoy your time posting it. But something good comes into your life after it's over which puts it into perspective for you, and you're able to easily move on

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Bee posted:

What happens if you run out of show before he's back?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Cavauro posted:

I hope you don't have t odo it that much longer. IF you do then i hope you start liking it in a hosed up way and you enjoy your time posting it. But something good comes into your life after it's over which puts it into perspective for you, and you're able to easily move on

Thank you for the well wishes. It can't be worse than my semi-ironic enjoyment of Donkey Kong Country, at least.

Vince MechMahon posted:

What happens if you run out of show before he's back?

I have no idea and the potential of this scares me.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Congrats to Fuego Del Sol on his first career win

RealityWarCriminal fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 7, 2021

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Spoiler that poo poo

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

The Bee posted:

it was a better toxx than my stupid rear end thinking cody was gonna lose on america day as the american dream

(love that cody rhodes)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Death to America

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

boxcarhobo posted:

it was a better toxx than my stupid rear end thinking cody was gonna lose on america day as the american dream

(love that cody rhodes)

Oh, don't get me wrong. Its an ambitious toxx (even if I wish there was a timg for posts so it didn't get cloggy). It just also makes me step back and realize "Wow. I'm doing this. This is how I am spending my life today."

Also, oof. Even by bad bet standards that one's loaded.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

The Bee posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong. Its an ambitious toxx (even if I wish there was a timg for posts so it didn't get cloggy). It just also makes me step back and realize "Wow. I'm doing this. This is how I am spending my life today."

Also, oof. Even by bad bet standards that one's loaded.

look i was real drunk and he really should've lost, there was no reason to then go lose on the very next dynamite but again, i was real drunk that night

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

boxcarhobo posted:

look i was real drunk and he really should've lost, there was no reason to then go lose on the very next dynamite but again, i was real drunk that night

If you ask me I think Ogogo should've cut his way through the Family first, then fought Cody. He's a little too green to maybe get the W on debut? But he really should've been going onward and upwards, not getting cut down right away.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

The Bee posted:

If you ask me I think Ogogo should've cut his way through the Family first, then fought Cody. He's a little too green to maybe get the W on debut? But he really should've been going onward and upwards, not getting cut down right away.

yea it was weirdly paced and I really liked him, i thought he looked great in both matches but now he's just gone back to england i guess so kind of what was the point? other than cody had to beat the foreign heel for the troops i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

boxcarhobo posted:

yea it was weirdly paced and I really liked him, i thought he looked great in both matches but now he's just gone back to england i guess so kind of what was the point? other than cody had to beat the foreign heel for the troops i guess

Honestly, AEW kind of has a hoss problem? Don't get me wrong, I love hosses, hoss offs, and hossing of all varieties, but the spot's already crowded enough with Miro, Cage, and Lance Archer all salivating for a slice of the pie. Adding Ogogo onto that and you have four "big man destroys all in his way" wrestlers, and that's not really a spot you can share spotlight on so easily.