Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neito posted:

The funniest time this happened to me was Ghostbusters 2016, where they tried to play off downtown Boston as if it were NYC. It'd've been less noticable in retrospect had they not made the unfortunate choice to use the area around my girlfriend's law school as "NYC".

I had sort of the opposite thing happen watching Interstellar. There's a scene where Mcconaughey's driving through this hilly forested countryside looking for a set of coordinates (that turns out to be the leftovers of NASA), and I remember thinking, "gosh, that's really beautiful scenery, wonder where they filmed it"

Turns out that since all of the location shooting for outdoors on Earth was shot near where I live, I have definitely driven down that road once before, and I have to say, now that I can integrate those experiences, I agree with myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Neito posted:

The funniest time this happened to me was Ghostbusters 2016, where they tried to play off downtown Boston as if it were NYC. It'd've been less noticable in retrospect had they not made the unfortunate choice to use the area around my girlfriend's law school as "NYC".

This reminds me of Fringe, which filmed in Connecticut but was set in Boston and used Yale for exterior shots of Harvard. It might have been meant to piss people off deliberately, as they also used a shot of Boston University as an establishing shot labeled Boston College.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Phy posted:

I had sort of the opposite thing happen watching Interstellar. There's a scene where Mcconaughey's driving through this hilly forested countryside looking for a set of coordinates (that turns out to be the leftovers of NASA), and I remember thinking, "gosh, that's really beautiful scenery, wonder where they filmed it"

Turns out that since all of the location shooting for outdoors on Earth was shot near where I live, I have definitely driven down that road once before, and I have to say, now that I can integrate those experiences, I agree with myself.

It didn't take me out of the movie too much (and I honestly think it's a pretty good take on the Ghostbusters), but like the movie is so obviously set in Boston that I kinda can't figure out why they didn't just have the Ghostbusters operate out of Boston instead of trying to tie it to New York. Would've seperated them from the original and maybe served to blunt some of the criticism.

It's just jarring to see Haymarket station dressed up as an MTA station and have people try to act like it's not one of the most popular stops on the entire line, or blasting around the corner from Newbury onto Arlington past the Taj like that's not one of the biggest Boston landmarks that exists. It was a weird choice IMO.

</bostonrant>

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The setting is such a big part of the original, documenting a specific time in its history. The new one would have been much better off doing the same for Boston.

It’s not like they filmed it in Vancouver or Bulgaria. Or Georgia (either Georgia).

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Living in Toronto is surreal for this stuff because easily recognized areas are regularly used as stand ins for pretty much every North American city at one point or another.

Pacific Rim was the worst for this with Toronto standing in for "downtown Tokyo" in one scene after being used for rural Alaska a few scenes prior.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Is Toronto cheap to film in? Tons of movies use it as ersatz-US.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Spermando posted:

Canada has a lot of tax breaks and incentives for filming there which is why Vancouver/Toronto get used so much.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hamilton shows up in all kinds of movies and TV shows and it's intensely distracting. So much of Crimson Peak and The Shape of Water were filmed here and it really pulls you out of your immersion when you think "Oh hey I've been in that building / I've used that bathroom."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
X-Men: Apocalypse was weird to watch since Auschwitz was the breezeway my friends used to smoke in back in college.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I miss that one Vancouver dam that looked all futuristic and was featured in every Saturday-afternoon syndicated action show 1995-2007.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mad Hamish posted:

Hamilton shows up in all kinds of movies and TV shows and it's intensely distracting. So much of Crimson Peak and The Shape of Water were filmed here and it really pulls you out of your immersion when you think "Oh hey I've been in that building / I've used that bathroom."

Hamilton?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Ontario, presumably

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Mad Hamish posted:

"Oh hey I've been in that building / I've used that bathroom."
Wow I hosed a fish man in that bathroom too 🤯

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Neito posted:

</bostonrant>

Watch Ghostbusters 2 for some more fuel, parts of it were filmed in Boston.

Conversely, the original film was mostly shot on location in New York. Also it's very accurate when depicting the relative locations of buildings, some films play fast and loose with that. Staypuft does cross Columbus Circle walking up Central Park West. The shot of ghosts spreading across the city shows them coming from Tribeca where the firehouse really is. Some of the external shots were shot in LA though, like Ecto 1 pulling up to the hotel.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Hamilton, Ontario. A dumpster fire of a small city about 45 min southwest of Toronto.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My wife still hasn't entirely forgiven me for flying into Hamilton instead of Pearson once when we were still dating

My cries of "Pearson sucks" fall on deaf ears

Maybe if I'd phrased it as "I'd rather spend an extra hour in the car with you than hoof it through Pearson for 20 minutes because my plane always gets banished to the farthest terminal"

E: the Hamilton airport is... Imagine walking through the lobby of an arcade in the 80s but the lights are turned up and the machines aren't there. That's what Hamilton airport feels like. I once caught a transfer through there and I actually had to walk out on the tarmac and up a set of rolly stairs to my next plane. That, for me, was novel.

Phy has a new favorite as of 19:04 on Jul 6, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Phy posted:

My wife still hasn't entirely forgiven me for flying into Hamilton instead of Pearson once when we were still dating

My cries of "Pearson sucks" fall on deaf ears

Maybe if I'd phrased it as "I'd rather spend an extra hour in the car with you than hoof it through Pearson for 20 minutes because my plane always gets banished to the farthest terminal"

hamilton's airport is incredibly out of the way even for people living in hamilton, most go to pearson since it takes about as long and the transit connections are way better anyway

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Phy posted:

I once caught a transfer through there and I actually had to walk out on the tarmac and up a set of rolly stairs to my next plane. That, for me, was novel.

That's pretty normal in Europe

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

That's pretty normal in Europe

Yeah, especially if you’re flying a low cost airline. In the Before Times, every single easyJet flight I ever took was like that.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Spermando posted:

If you're an inexpensive production, it looks "US-y" enough to pass as a lot of cities if you squint a bit. Similar with animation and Georgia, though that's also a "That's where [adult swim] has their offices" thing.

Most of Psych was filmed in BC or something like that, so for a lot of street shots you have Gus, Shawn, etc. in shirt sleeves and shorts while in the background locals are walking around in parkas and thick hoodies.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Yes, but I assumed there was a reason why you'd fly your crew to a foreign country to pass it off as your own country. I didn't consider tax breaks.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Spermando posted:

Yes, but I assumed there was a reason why you'd fly your crew to a foreign country to pass it off as your own country. I didn't consider tax breaks.

tooooooons of tax breaks

We mentioned Hamilton, Ontario, but it's only really come into prominence for big shoots in the last couple decades as "close enough."

Hamilton has a little town called Dundas attached to it though, with a main street that's picturesque and small town-y enough to look perfect for Hallmark movies. About once a month even in the heights of summer, that main street is dressed up in fake snow and fir branches, it feels like pretty much every Hallmark Christmas movie uses it as their go-to hometown for the sad protagonist lady who just needs to learn to live the real life.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Spermando posted:

Nolan kinda did the opposite with Tenet. The norwegian airport with the plane crash was actually shot in Los Angeles.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Nolan kinda did the opposite with Tenet. The norwegian airport with the plane crash was actually shot in Los Angeles.

So he shot in a location that was cheaper than going to the real location? How is that the "opposite" of shooting in a cheaper (with tax breaks) location instead of the real location?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
He also used a real, fully functional airplane rather than a cheaper alternative. :V

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Also some places don't bother with those pesky :airquote:safety regulations. :airquote:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Neito posted:

Supernatural has an episode set in Canton, Ohio at a wax museum. There isn't a wax museum in Canton and as far as I know the only one in this godforsaken state is out in Ashland and Bible themed

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

The United States posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAgSIMVlrnk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO1L3kRbx1A

It wasn't really weird though, it was pretty standard serious military sci-fi action adventure that we got a lot of in the 90s, from Wing Commander to Exosquad, and including imports from Canada with Heavy Gear (sort of), France with Space Strikers (lol), and Japan with Teknoman (arguably) and Gundam Wing (which aired contemporaneous with Roughnecks). And during that time it was Sony's modus operandi to produce fairly serious and well-received television cartoons based on their movies - Extreme Ghostbusters, Men in Black, Godzilla.

What made it stand apart was the incredible effort and expense poured into (almost - a few episodes were done by a separate studio) every episode, there's nothing else from the time that looks like it, and even today.

If you want a weird series from that time, there's Roswell Conspiracies Aliens, Myths and Legends, a sort of superhero X-Files for kids, inspired by Gargoyles, Hong Kong action films, and a whole lot of anime.

https://vimeo.com/454301427

That's because it was done by Foundation Imaging who cut their teeth on doing space sci-fi effects for Babylon 5 and Star Trek, and were thus pretty much the most experienced and capable CG studio at the time to work on such a show. It's too bad it was never finished - there remain 4 episodes that were scripted and storyboarded but never animated, and if Sony had anyone who cared about putting the effort into reviving old projects for Crackle like WB does for HBO Max, it would have happened already.

Speaking of which, yes, the entire thing is available on Crackle.

https://www.crackle.com/watch/349/2459616

Fair point re: other comparable shows existing. I think it's just permanently 'weird' in my mind because that was the first show I'd really seen like that, since I was barely in maybe kindergarten or first grade when I actually watched it. I'm pretty sure I went from something like The Busy World of Richard Scarry to watching space marines blasting evil space bugs with tons of gore.

Men in Black was another remarkably good cartoon though. Goddamn that intro is still easily one of the best cartoon intros of all time, even if its stuck permanently in the early 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVAePIyC4kQ

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
If you think about it, the original Ghostbusters is a movie about how regulations are keeping down red blooded entrepreneurs and are actually wrong and bad. Venkman and Stantz are libertarian icons.

Edit: especially eco-friendly regulations regarding emissions if I remember correctly.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

If you think about it, the original Ghostbusters is a movie about how regulations are keeping down red blooded entrepreneurs and are actually wrong and bad. Venkman and Stantz are libertarian icons.

Edit: especially eco-friendly regulations regarding emissions if I remember correctly.

Also academia is a bunch of elitist snobs that squash innovation and the answer is to let the market decide. And something something snooty hotel managers.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
I wish I could enjoy Ghostbusters as much as I used to, but adulthood and experience has made the whole thing a gauntlet of cringe.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was Bill Murray ever a desirable version of masculinity, or was it just that a generation of nerd comedy men never figured out that he was supposed to be a loser in all those movies 1981-1994?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Was Bill Murray ever a desirable version of masculinity, or was it just that a generation of nerd comedy men never figured out that he was supposed to be a loser in all those movies 1981-1994?

He wasn't, though?

He only hand a small handful of films in that era (although the roles were highly memorable), and in the end, he's the smarmy winner in most of them.

Stripes, he's unquestionably the hero. He gets the girl, wins the fight, etc.
Ghostbusters, basically the same and he never even changes from the toxic manipulative rear end in a top hat chasing coeds from the start.
Caddyshack, he's the weirdo, but he's the lovable kind.
Groundhog Day and Scrooged, he's 100% toxic as gently caress but whoops a tiny change of heart forced on him by the supernatural and he rides off into the sunset with Best Girl.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Toshimo posted:

He wasn't, though?

He only hand a small handful of films in that era (although the roles were highly memorable), and in the end, he's the smarmy winner in most of them.

Stripes, he's unquestionably the hero. He gets the girl, wins the fight, etc.
Ghostbusters, basically the same and he never even changes from the toxic manipulative rear end in a top hat chasing coeds from the start.
Caddyshack, he's the weirdo, but he's the lovable kind.
Groundhog Day and Scrooged, he's 100% toxic as gently caress but whoops a tiny change of heart forced on him by the supernatural and he rides off into the sunset with Best Girl.

I guess maybe I’m misreading how much one should want to be a slob in movies about slobs vs snobs. Maybe he is more wish fulfillment than I thought.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I guess maybe I’m misreading how much one should want to be a slob in movies about slobs vs snobs. Maybe he is more wish fulfillment than I thought.

As a stupid kid in the 80's watching my parents replay his movies 1000 times yukking it up, yeah, he was definitely not the butt of the joke to the average person.

Adult me knows better, but I assure you, the "Complete rear end in a top hat with a secret heart of gold" thing is still alive and well in popular culture.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
It's also not lost on me that they took Strong Female Protagonists from action films (Karen Allen, Sigourney Weaver) and cast them as the Strong Women he needs to woo over with his antics.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Living in Toronto is surreal for this stuff because easily recognized areas are regularly used as stand ins for pretty much every North American city at one point or another.
The first Matrix film was shot in Sydney and while they managed to keep the Opera House and Bridge just off camera there are so many places in it that are really easy to recognise.

The sequels did a lot less location work but there's still one scene where the Opera House should fill half the screen and has been CG'd over.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ishikabibble posted:

Men in Black was another remarkably good cartoon though. Goddamn that intro is still easily one of the best cartoon intros of all time, even if its stuck permanently in the early 90s.

That was a drat good show, it got 4 seasons without much, if any, toy line to promote. And the intro (which slaps) has a dick size gag hidden in it, which I've always loved.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ishikabibble posted:

Fair point re: other comparable shows existing. I think it's just permanently 'weird' in my mind because that was the first show I'd really seen like that, since I was barely in maybe kindergarten or first grade when I actually watched it. I'm pretty sure I went from something like The Busy World of Richard Scarry to watching space marines blasting evil space bugs with tons of gore.

Sony always put a lot of effort into their intros, even if MiB remains the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rOnyv_DQZk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b2CtgkwJQA\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmiswp6XMXI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The first Matrix film was shot in Sydney and while they managed to keep the Opera House and Bridge just off camera there are so many places in it that are really easy to recognise.

The sequels did a lot less location work but there's still one scene where the Opera House should fill half the screen and has been CG'd over.

It would have been really expensive to actually film on location in the Matrix though, so it’s understandable that they used another city to stand in for Matrix City.