Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dr Who has been utter toss since Moffat took over, and somehow got worse as soon as Chibbers got his grubby paws all over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

hbag posted:

whats the deal with cum town

i tried listning to it. its mostly 3 or 4 dudes mumbling sex jokes and boring shock joke poo poo in a detached way with maybe some lefty politics mixed in. its not the worst i found but its not my thing. most of the jokes are "what if character from this was gay and how would they gently caress".

edogawa rando posted:

Dr Who has been utter toss since Moffat took over, and somehow got worse as soon as Chibbers got his grubby paws all over it.

yeah. i was into it in high school(2008-2010 or so) but i just got bored with it because it feels like the same 7 or so plots mixed and matched. old doctor who is still ok though because it wasnt afraid to be loving weird as gently caress.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this! posted:

Every time someone writes "Edelgard" I misread it as "Edgelord"
I feel like you've made this joke before, but I'd feel foolish to call you on it without stone cold evidence. :shobon:

Vonnie posted:

TBH at least with electric guitars it'd be pretty hard to gently caress one up bad enough to be dogshit.
You'd be surprised when some companies went with QC/QA that varied from "whatever", "who cares" to "Henry Juszkiewicz is a fuckface among fuckfaces! :mad:"

Sure, nowadays you can get a baller budget guitar or bass for as little as 300 buckaroos new, but Gibson sure as gently caress kept on loving it up as far as they could take it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

muscles like this! posted:

Every time someone writes "Edelgard" I misread it as "Edgelord"

:same:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Archer666 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwgPqLcQnn0

Cool video that compares (the most recent) Dr. Who with Loki. There's a bunch of spoilers for Loki and Dr. Who, so if you're sensitive to one of those then beware.

To summarise:
- Doctor Who bad now (not a controversial take)
- The MCU will throw away any previously established characterisation as soon as it becomes commercially convenient, and this is a good thing
- Tom Hiddleston playing Doctor Who! It's exactly what all my LiveJournal friends wanted! This is a good thing
- Look at all the ways it's just like Doctor Who! This at-best mediocre trash has evolved into openly derivative trash, and this is a good thing

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

livejournal?

are you 40 years old?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

edogawa rando posted:

Doctor Who Series 5 was good
And the series after that had plenty of good episodes themselves.
Moffat just cant help himself and almost always ruins the finale of every series by tossing too much at the wall to see what sticks.

Loki is decent also. But there is a thread for that I suppose.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I’ve loved all of the recent Marvel series but IMO Loki is absolutely the best of the bunch so far. I just hope that these ones doesn’t go the way of the Netflix ones where they start out strong but nosedive when they hit season 2.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Alaois posted:

livejournal?

are you 40 years old?

I'm being facetious but a point made in the video is "this is really cool because it's what everyone on tumblr wanted for Doctor Who in 2013, but that would have sucked because it would have just been exactly the same as what Doctor Who already did, but now it's not literally called Doctor Who so it's good again"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Bakeneko posted:

I just hope that these ones doesn’t go the way of the Netflix ones where they start out strong but nosedive when they hit season 2.

or mid-season in Luke Cage's case

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

who cares, they’re all just living in the shadow of Rick and Morty anyway

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Moffat and RTD are hacks (complimentary). Moffat's first series and last series are pretty freaking excellent, especially when Capaldi abolishes capitalism and sparks a worker's revolt. I'll go to bat for Capaldi's entire era on the basis that TV doesn't have to be fun or satisfy expectations to be good. Gomez, Capaldi, and Coleman all deliver excellent performances and the cinematography when Rachel Talalay directs is superb.

Chibnall is a loving loser. He's a Blairite piece of poo poo and under his pen the Doctor is too. She doesn't believe in anything or stand for anything and the attempt to cast The Doctor as an abused refugee is so dishonest when the main actor playing them is white and the Doctor's character development over the past 50+ years has centered around their complicity in Time Lord imperialism. It's truly truly bad even if it's less "cringe" or whatever than some of Mofdat's aesthetic low points.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I guess my problem with this Loki video is that it's made by a gushing Marvel fan, for Marvel fans who aren't articulate enough to gush in their own words. When you strip out all the parts a reasonably critical person would identify as bad things, all it's actually saying is "It's Doctor Who but Marvel!" which yeah, welcome to three weeks ago, if that was enough to sell you on the show you're already sold, watching every episode ASAP and probably preordering the Funko Pops. It's redundant.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Also the parts of Doctor Who it's most aping are latter-day Moffat! It's all evil institutions and redemption arcs! Even the interaction between alternate versions of a villain across gender lines inside an apocalypse is lifted from Capaldi's last two-parter.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Augus posted:

who cares, they’re all just living in the shadow of Rick and Morty anyway
Which itself is mostly just living in the shadow of the stronger (read, most of the first 2 seasons) Community episodes. :shrug:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rick and Morty owns and is the best show on tv until the boys comes back

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dabir posted:

I guess my problem with this Loki video is that it's made by a gushing Marvel fan, for Marvel fans who aren't articulate enough to gush in their own words. When you strip out all the parts a reasonably critical person would identify as bad things, all it's actually saying is "It's Doctor Who but Marvel!" which yeah, welcome to three weeks ago, if that was enough to sell you on the show you're already sold, watching every episode ASAP and probably preordering the Funko Pops. It's redundant.

yeah but i will say i enjoyed loki way more as doctor who type show then i have doctor who in years/decades.

CelticPredator posted:

Rick and Morty owns and is the best show on tv until the boys comes back

yeah new season has been pretty good overall.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Loki's fairly fun but yea that video kinda sucked rear end, it was just 'Loki's good because it's like Doctor Who's old stuff, but I think the old stuff was like four seasons ago' and completely acknowledging that they sanded off any flaws and edge to Loki that went deeper than 'is sassy' because it's a marvel tv/movie IP and you can't have protagonists with flaws greater than getting snippy with people but...saying that's good actually?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

edogawa rando posted:

That's kind of interesting. I assumed most people mad about it were just mad because Doctor is Girl Now.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dawgstar posted:

That's kind of interesting. I assumed most people mad about it were just mad because Doctor is Girl Now.

There are definitely people like that but plenty of people (eg most of the Who thread in TVIV) think that Whittaker's being let down by the material rather than the other way around. Because she is.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Dawgstar posted:

It had a lot of expectations lumped upon it specifically because The Doctor's a Girl Now and then Chibnalll/the writing staff seemed to be trying their hardest to bring in the worst of Moffat and Davis's eras. Whittaker's great but she's got nothing to do, much like most of Capaldi's tenure.

Goddamn I'm still not over how violently stupid the "Space Amazon is good, actually" episode was.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dawgstar posted:

it's kinda poo poo because there absolutely are plenty of people who are just mad a girl is the doctor and those people are idiots, but the past couple seasons have absolutely sucked poo poo as Doctor Who. I love Whittaker, she's fantastic, but the writing is absolute bottom of the barrel poo poo.

SteelMentor posted:

It had a lot of expectations lumped upon it specifically because The Doctor's a Girl Now and then Chibnalll/the writing staff seemed to be trying their hardest to bring in the worst of Moffat and Davis's eras. Whittaker's great but she's got nothing to do, much like most of Capaldi's tenure.

Goddamn I'm still not over how violently stupid the "Space Amazon is good, actually" episode was.

Yea I've found one way to root out which kind of 'man Doctor Who sucks so much now' person someone is if they also felt this way about the Capaldi seasons. I think the issue has gotten a lot worse but Capaldi was also in an almost exact same situation of being a great choice for the role but given loving nothing by the writers.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Nothing honestly encapsulates the suck era of modern Who more to me than just how they keep centring the Doctor as The Most Important Thing Ever.

It's so loving masturbatory and actively harms what they can actually do with the character so much and yet they just keep on truckin'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SteelMentor posted:

Nothing honestly encapsulates the suck era of modern Who more to me than just how they keep centring the Doctor as The Most Important Thing Ever.

It's so loving masturbatory and actively harms what they can actually do with the character so much and yet they just keep on truckin'.

yea the one thing in that video I agreed with heartily was the hammering on Who's biggest issue being they made The Doctor some inherently good and chosen figure when...that's the loving opposite of the point. Like, how do you take a show you were a fan of where the core of it is 'this man is broken in many ways and has seen too much suffering, but he chooses to be kind and merciful to a fault at times because he knows that to be the just thing to do' and go 'right because he's just inherently moral and just and good'???? How do you think THAT'S the better story???

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I still think the absolute worst episode and one that sums up most of Doctor Who's problems is the one they decided it was a good idea for the Doctor to protect Hitler from being punished for his crimes. This is NOT because it would gently caress with the timeline, the episode goes out of its way to clearly establish that the timeline would not be effected, and it never comes up as the motive for the Doctor doing so. The episode might have worked for a fictional character, because its established that Hitler would be tortured. However, the writers deliberately chose to have a storyline where the Doctor saves Hitler and acts self-righteous about it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I still think the absolute worst episode and one that sums up most of Doctor Who's problems is the one they decided it was a good idea for the Doctor to protect Hitler from being punished for his crimes. This is NOT because it would gently caress with the timeline, the episode goes out of its way to clearly establish that the timeline would not be effected, and it never comes up as the motive for the Doctor doing so. The episode might have worked for a fictional character, because its established that Hitler would be tortured. However, the writers deliberately chose to have a storyline where the Doctor saves Hitler and acts self-righteous about it.

Nah, that one's dumb but there's a seed of internal logic to it; The episode's not about Hitler specifically, more the "We have a time machine, why don't we kill Hitler BEFORE WW2 and stop it?" conundrum it wants to engage with while Hitler just happens to be in the room for a few moments. It's still a very dumb episode though.

The ignominious honor of worst Modern-Who goes to the Doctor directly telling the children of Britain that taking your psychological meds is bad and dumb and not to listen to your doctors or parents about taking it because the things you see without your medication are actually cool and good.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

my favorite modern who moment is still the bit where the doctor is forced by coincidence to do a racism on purpose so that rosa parks can still do the thing

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i dont know anything about dr who so i feel like i have a 105 degree fever reading these posts where dr who has to hurry to the dallas book depository to preserve the flow of time

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fun hater posted:

i dont know anything about dr who so i feel like i have a 105 degree fever reading these posts where dr who has to hurry to the dallas book depository to preserve the flow of time

turns out with doctor who's incredible space magic technology, he really could make JFK's head just do that

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
dr who pressing the trigger and sending carrero blanco to the moon

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

my favorite modern who moment is still the bit where the doctor is forced by coincidence to do a racism on purpose so that rosa parks can still do the thing

That was so loving tone deaf that I lost my goddamn mind watching it. Let's Kill Hitler was stupid but very quickly ran right past that premise and into the bonkers scifi bullshit but actively putting the Doctor into the Civil Rights movement like that? Do they think that highly of this show for children??

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Malpais Legate posted:

That was so loving tone deaf that I lost my goddamn mind watching it. Let's Kill Hitler was stupid but very quickly ran right past that premise and into the bonkers scifi bullshit but actively putting the Doctor into the Civil Rights movement like that? Do they think that highly of this show for children??

It did have some good moments for Yaz & Ryan, at least.

But Demons of the Punjab blew it out of the water later in the season.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

DeafNote posted:

Doctor Who Series 5 was good
And the series after that had plenty of good episodes themselves.
Moffat just cant help himself and almost always ruins the finale of every series by tossing too much at the wall to see what sticks.

Moffat took Dr Who into basically Simpsons S10~13 or so territory, where while there's the odd gem of an episode, and some solid gags that land, when you take a step back and compare it to what came before, it's just shite. What's frustrating is that Moffat can write some good stuff - the episodes he wrote during the Davies era were among the best during the 9th and 10th's tenures after all and are generally beloved for good reason. The Doctor's speech during the Zygon Inversion is an absolute bobby-dazzler of a speech, and Heaven Sent is an all-time great episode. But those gems feel like they're great in spite of the overwhelming mediocrity that surrounds those episodes.

Meanwhile, Chibnall can get to gently caress, and Whittaker is absolutely wasted on such lovely poo poo material. The sooner they get rid of that fuckwit, the better.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 7, 2021

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

fun hater posted:

No, that was an episode of Red Dwarf, and a pretty good one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

edogawa rando posted:

Moffat took Dr Who into basically Simpsons S10~13 or so territory, where while there's the odd gem of an episode, and some solid gags that land, when you take a step back and compare it to what came before, it's just shite. What's frustrating is that Moffat can write some good stuff - the episodes he wrote during the Davies era were among the best during the 9th and 10th's tenures after all and are generally beloved for good reason. The Doctor's speech during the Zygon Inversion is an absolute bobby-dazzler of a speech, and Heaven Sent is an all-time great episode. But those gems feel like they're great in spite of the overwhelming mediocrity that surrounds those episodes.

Meanwhile, Chibnall can get to gently caress, and Whittaker is absolutely wasted on such lovely poo poo material. The sooner they get rid of that fuckwit, the better.

Moffat's big problem was stretching himself across multiple projects imo. If he hadn't had Sherlock to manage as well his Doctor Who seasons might've turned out more polished.

That said, The Zygon Invasion is amazingly racist and anti-muslim, holy poo poo I'm amazed that got penned and put to screen without anyone taking a step back to actually re-read it :yikes:. Heaven Sent was legitimately fantastic television at least.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That said, The Zygon Invasion is amazingly racist and anti-muslim, holy poo poo I'm amazed that got penned and put to screen without anyone taking a step back to actually re-read it :yikes:.

Same guy wrote Kill the Moon and Pyramid at the End of the World and between those 3 stories I think he's a strong contender for worst writer in the revival.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I stopped watching Doctor Who during Whitaker's first season because I realised I hadn't been watching because I liked the show anymore, I was watching because I loved Peter Capaldi chewing the scenery. Without that I found I just couldn't care anymore.

I still find it kind of strange, because Doctor Who was very important to me in coming to terms with myself as a gay man and I loved it so very, very dearly and yet thinking about it now is just "meh". It kinda died with a whimper.

If they want to keep it going then I think it needs a hard reset without any pretence of continuity.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

fun hater posted:

I never watched Quantum Leap but I feel like I once read this happened in an episode of that show (or a spin-off novel or some such BS).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Nothing is without flaws and only the loudest and most annoying people on the internet are mad at it for those reasons alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I think the part where she does a racism on purpose to get someone captured and tortured by Nazis in the middle of WW2 is also up there