Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

That's every ocean evernwhere, really. Look up marine snow if you're not familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Pobrecito posted:

Any of yall read that Alamo book the right is frothing about? I saw it on Audible and thought about getting it.

I'm tempted to give it a shot, but also Alamo scholarship has been very clear-eyed on what was happening there and the motives behind everyone involved for many decades now. (I had the good fortune of having a Texas History in high school history who was getting his PhD focusing on the revolution.) Even going on tours of the capital the guides would kind of mention in asides about the inaccuracies in the Dawn at the Alamo mural. So I don't know if the authors of this book are really coming in hot with new information if if they're just repeating the known scholarship with a more confrontational tone.

Sab0921 posted:

Disagree unless it comes out that he has paid for like 10 abortions over the course of his life being a hot dude in Hollywood. Davis got creamed because her whole schtick was being the face of abortion rights

My honest opinion: McConaughey can win if he is willing to put in the same amount of work on organizing and campaigning as Beto did in 2018. So the question becomes, does anyone think McConaughey is willing to work that hard for the job?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

oh my god i'd forgotten all about this stupid performative Pharisee bullshit

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://www.chron.com/politics/article/Abbott-leads-over-McConaughey-for-governor-race-16295894.php

Abbott's lead is 1% over a not-campaigning Mccaughagneahey.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

That lead is gonna increase significantly if Mccoughy does announce, though. Let's not get our hopes up — this is Texas.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Kinky Friedman also polled really well. Then he crumbled at the first sign that being governor is an actual job.

Goddamn, that 2006 race was such a clusterfuck.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My man hasn't even declared a party, and that poll has 25% voting for someone else. Let's see how things shake out.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Parrotine posted:

If you don't have any conservative-leaning friends in Texas for crying out loud, maybe you shouldn't be making sweeping judgements on a candidate's chances!

Uhhh no gently caress those pieces of poo poo. They’re at least stupid, if not racist/evil.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jasonscampbell/status/1412521726328684551?s=21

Uh huh.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

he has to say communist twice because his audience is too stupid to know who Karl Marx was.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Large portions of Texas absolutely deserve someone this dumb.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It's kind of shocking just how aggressively stupid the things he was saying is. Its almost an insult to the idea that we live in a shared reality that he is saying these things as a serious response to the question.

Also gently caress out of here trying to say "tax payer funded lobbying" is a serious problem in Texas. Unless he means to imply we should strip police of their collective bargaining, then ok, he may have a point.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
When people think of lobbying they think of dipshits from Exxon or Pfizer. Putting "tax payer funded" in front of that is just a beautiful cherry on top.

Ideological conservatives are generally dumber than pig poo poo, but the PR ghouls they hire are usually very good at framing.

e: Magic Mike totally gonna sweep the governor race on a platform of affordable access to tax advantaged healthcare solutions for all who want them though.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 7, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I love this Marxist-Leninist-Abbottist Texas

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

In a world...

"The communism is coming from inside the Governor's Mansion!"

...where good men are silent....

"I just got a call from Lincoln headquarters, he's on his way"

... we turn to the man who has never lost his sense of right ...

"Alright alright alright"

... Coming to Texas in 2022: Matthew McConaughey in his hardest role yet:

Governor

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Imagine how easy it would be for McConaughey to make big campaign money doing donor photos.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

zoux posted:

My man hasn't even declared a party, and that poll has 25% voting for someone else. Let's see how things shake out.

Zoux: Bring me a poll if you wish to disagree with me!

*a poll is provided*

Zoux: No this one is bad!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Marxalot posted:

When people think of lobbying they think of dipshits from Exxon or Pfizer. Putting "tax payer funded" in front of that is just a beautiful cherry on top.

Ideological conservatives are generally dumber than pig poo poo, but the PR ghouls they hire are usually very good at framing.

e: Magic Mike totally gonna sweep the governor race on a platform of affordable access to tax advantaged healthcare solutions for all who want them though.

I used to wonder why all the spin doctor geniuses worked for the bad guys but honestly I have come to consider it that so long as you get the pitch right on your dog whistle, it matters very little what you are saying.

Like what we see isn't just focus grouped messaging done by competent people with no souls (it is that in part) but also just simple racist sub texts and white people have gotten good at playing the part of plausible deniability until Trump gave them permission to say the quiet part out loud again.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lol. What I n the holy gently caress is he talking about.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I clicked this thinking "oh hey I'm going to make a joke in the Texas thread about how some rando on twitter just nuked Dallas.

https://twitter.com/Y2K_mindset/status/1412515772354629635?s=20

Turns out he was actually talking about Dallas

:v:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Mack Brown should have retired after winning the natty and ran for Governor in 2006 - dude would have beat Perry by like 15 points

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

radical meme posted:

Lol. What I n the holy gently caress is he talking about.

I assume property taxes but I'm not gonna watch the video

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mack is probably a repubican haha

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Communism with Texan characteristics

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the y'allodomor

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

i say swears online posted:

mack is probably a repubican haha

Mack is/was a blue dog Dem. One of those oddities of the world like Nick Saban getting involved in politics solely to endorse Joe Manchin.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Ding ding ding!

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

He also says Texas has a progressive income tax.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sab0921 posted:

He also says Texas has a progressive income tax.

Ah, but you see people with more income buy bigger houses so it is a progressive tax system

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

:eyepop:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

not empty quoting

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

I wonder if he knows that our tax system (no state income taxes/high property taxes) is identical to Florida's...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think Allen West is making a good faith argument based on reason and facts, you all.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

drat lol

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

I don't think Allen West is making a good faith argument based on reason and facts, you all.

And you try to claim you're a Texan.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

zoux posted:

no but you see this will sink him against mcconaughahahahaha

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Hey everybody, Greg Abbott has solved the power grid crisis!

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/gov-abbott-sends-letter-to-public-utility-commission-to-improve-electric-reliability/2674259/

NBC News DFW posted:

Abbott Demands PUC Act More Aggressively to Shore Up Grid
Among the directives, the governor says providers should adhere to a maintenance schedule to ensure adequate supply
By Terry Wallace • Published July 6, 2021 • Updated on July 6, 2021 at 9:43 pm

One month after declaring Texas’ electric power grid fixed, Republican Gov. Greg Abbott demanded aggressive action from state utility regulators Tuesday to shore up that grid.

In a letter to the Public Utility Commission, Abbott directed the commission to have the Electric Reliability Council of Texas incentivize the development and maintenance of additional natural gas-, coal- and nuclear-powered generating capacity. ERCOT manages the electric power grid for most of the state and is overseen by the PUC.

Abbott also directed the PUC to require solar- and wind-powered generators to compensate customers for the cost of their unavailability; instruct ERCOT to establish a maintenance schedule for gas, coal and nuclear electric generating plants; and order ERCOT to accelerate the development of transmission projects to improve connectivity between existing and new power plants and areas needing power.

“The objective of these directives is to ensure that all Texans have access to reliable, safe, and affordable power, and that this task is achieved in the quickest possible way,” Abbott said in the letter. “Through clear communication, transparency, and implementation of these critical changes, the PUC and ERCOT can regain the public’s trust, restore ERCOT’s status as a leader in innovation and reliability, and ensure Texans have the reliable electric power they expect and deserve.”

That contrasts with his June 8 declaration that the Republican-controlled Legislature’s reforms “fix all of the flaws” leading to a deadly February blackout. More than 4 million people lost power when temperatures plunged into single digits over Valentine’s Day’s weekend, icing power generators and buckling the state’s electric grid. State officials say they have confirmed at least 151 deaths blamed on the freeze and resulting outages, but the real toll is believed to be higher.

At the time of Abbott’s declaration, energy experts thought the Legislature’s reforms were inadequate.

In his Tuesday letter, Abbott said that while the Legislature had overhauled the ERCOT board of directors, strengthened power plant weatherization requirements and improved communications, more was needed.

“While these laws significantly reform Texas’ energy and electric power market, more can be done to increase power generation capacity and to ensure the reliability of the Texas power grid,” Abbott’s Tuesday letter stated.

The letter presumes that the non-renewable power sources of gas, coal and nuclear provide reliable power. However, less than a week after the declaration, ERCOT issued its second conservation alert in as many months, appealing to power consumers to raise thermostats to 78 degrees and limit the use of electric appliances. ERCOT blamed generating capacity reduced by unscheduled maintenance by those same non-renewable sources.

The Electric Reliability Council of Texas urged Texans to conserve power after a large number of power plants unexpectedly shut down in the summer heat on June 14. That warning came after Texas experienced a power crisis in February when many residents across the state were left without electricity during an unprecedented winter storm.

Basically, subsidize coal and gas power plants and add additional fees on renewable energy whenever the wind doesn't blow or the sun goes down.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Captain Monkey posted:

Zoux: Bring me a poll if you wish to disagree with me!

*a poll is provided*

Zoux: No this one is bad!

Zoux for governor imo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1412775425105960964

Numbnuts put out the agenda.

Elections, trans kids sports, conservative social media, critical race theory, etc.

https://twitter.com/RobertTGarrett/status/1412779159970066433

I guess they're going to redo HB 3979, a bill he already signed into law, for the gently caress of it

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
That's the best thing about problems you made up, you can just keep passing laws to fix them over and over.